Episode #25 "Out Where The Buses Don't Run"

Ferrariman

18 minutes ago, Miami Beau said:

Superb episode. The acting all round is very high and the only let down for me, was that there wasn’t enough David Strathairn scenes. 

I recently posted a video on my YouTube channel regarding Dennis Hopper’s planned involvement with this episode. Having Hopper in the Weldon role would of been interesting to see. 

Hopper might have been interesting in the Weldon role...but I read once that McGill was brought in almost literally at the last minute, and he totally “made” the Weldon character...I can’t imagine anyone else in the role—he totally “nailed” it! :clap: This is one of my favorite episodes of the season, and series all the way around...one of two episodes actually based on a real-life case, and included in a TVGuide list of 101 best episodes of television history, in 1997! :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Hopper might have been interesting in the Weldon role...but I read once that McGill was brought in almost literally at the last minute, and he totally “made” the Weldon character...I can’t imagine anyone else in the role—he totally “nailed” it! :clap: This is one of my favorite episodes of the season, and series all the way around...one of two episodes actually based on a real-life case, and included in a TVGuide list of 101 best episodes of television history, in 1997! :thumbsup: 

Yes a lot of credit has to go to McGill for taking the role at last minute and delivering such a memorable performance. He definitely impressed with producers because Mann hired him for a part in Crime Story season 2 in 1987 :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I remember seeing him on Miami Vice in the original broadcast in what is now my favorite episode and then just weeks later appearing in MvGyver.  He was excellent in both roles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pahonu said:

I remember seeing him on Miami Vice in the original broadcast in what is now my favorite episode and then just weeks later appearing in MvGyver.  He was excellent in both roles.

I saw the original broadcast, too...and have it! Definitely one of my favorite episodes, and Bruce McGill is an amazing actor!! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
2 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

No better way of seeing The Light than getting whacked with a Bible in the head. :fireworks:

The Bible isn’t all peace & flowers like hippies :p...there’s consequences for our actions. But, hey, Skates still has a chance...look what happened to Arcaro! ;)

• 1 month later...

i just realized one thing that definitely sends that episode into another level. Weldon wasn't just a good cop, he was the elite. this makes the final scenes totally epic

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jpaul1 said:

i just realized one thing that definitely sends that episode into another level. Weldon wasn't just a good cop, he was the elite. this makes the final scenes totally epic

True! I think he had been one of the best, and he was still trying to be that to the end...and that’s why his mind couldn’t handle what he’d done, and so it created an alternate reality. In his mind, Hank was still trying to bring down Arcaro, and he finally helped Crockett & Tubbs do that in the end. 

• Like 3

On 1/15/2022 at 6:16 PM, ViceFanMan said:

I saw the original broadcast, too...and have it! Definitely one of my favorite episodes, and Bruce McGill is an amazing actor!! :thumbsup:

A true great. In this scene his acting was incredible. ("The Insider")

Massively underrated actor and film.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

A bit of trivia:

chip designer Jay Glen Miner (1931–1994), father of the Atari 2600 and Amiga computers,  had the habit of naming development systems after women.

In the early 80s, his most revolutionary design was a system using  a Motorola 68000 processor with custom chips. He called it 'Lorraine'', (after his boss' wife, Lorraine Morse).

Either it's a hell of a coincidence or ,more likely, whoever wrote the episode did a bit of research into computer geekdom. :)

002.thumb.jpg.1a0482831f74fc8f5db852270171ff41.jpg

001.thumb.jpg.695795992284bd3aab5b9e215c30f672.jpg

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 4

The computer was named Lorraine in both versions of the script, including "Off the Wall" when Weldon was...wait for it...Jack Griswald. The available scripts only credit a John Mankiewicz as doing a rewrite, so it's hard to say who originally drafted it. Also, interestingly, Off the Wall doesn't reference the supposed alternate title (J-50).

• Thanks 1