Episode #25 "Out Where The Buses Don't Run"

Ferrariman

Love these both videos.The second one you could hear the daytona.Well' date='I hope it was the daytona.The brother's in Arms sounded like a souped up engine sound made up.[/quote']yeah and its from the racing film Le Mans with steve mcqueen, except looped. I really hate it when they dub over perfectly good engine notes with sounds from his films as it was a fad throught the 1970's to dub over ever chase scene with the engine notes of the mustang and the challenger from Bullit.Like here with Cleopatra Jones's vette

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h8-HUg9nvw

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBLOLi_Ex-Q

which probably sounded like the daytona did in the second clip and thus was completely unwaranted, but atleast it wasnt with those sounds and they might of had to do it considering how far the car was away from the camera.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ1JzN5THOw and personally I think its a good solid episode, better than buddies for sure and a few of the other season 2 episodes, not evan great but a good solid episode nontheless. I'd say 7.5.hell my only nitpick is in regards to the last scene with the daytona there and the ferrari noises, as well it means the daytona is a 15 gear monster from the sound of it, remove those and keep the normal V8 noises like they did with this S1 episode

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3hrvpxsRKo&feature=plcp

and I'd say 8
Great presentation. I love that song. Very enjoyable but I wish they had posted a matching picture going up the ramp instead of the side shot and I really wish the last photo was of the right location. That error kind of threw the presentation off at the end but the presentation was still very cool.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h8-HUg9nvw

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBLOLi_Ex-Q

which probably sounded like the daytona did in the second clip and thus was completely unwaranted, but atleast it wasnt with those sounds and they might of had to do it considering how far the car was away from the camera.
Kavinsky,I see what you mean.I watched both clips an listened.I hear the difference.In that episode of vice it just sounds so odd for the daytona that what bothered me also.Don't get me wrong love the song and scenes and all just that sound.

Great presentation. I love that song. Very enjoyable but I wish they had posted a matching picture going up the ramp instead of the side shot and I really wish the last photo was of the right location. That error kind of threw the presentation off at the end but the presentation was still very cool.[/SIZE">
Indeed' date=' thats why I saved it and its kinda fun to see where the daytona was during that scene back in 85' and how it looks now.makes me wish the guys from burn notice would try and maybe make a homage to it using the scenes as they are now with Michale's 73 charger (I am primarily a muscle car/V8 fan after all)

Kavinsky,I see what you mean.I watched both clips an listened.I hear the difference.In that episode of vice it just sounds so odd for the daytona that what bothered me also.Don't get me wrong love the song and scenes and all just that sound.

yeah it was just one of the things that stuck out to me, hell even the TR at half bore with its V12 didnt sound like that

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53HHQhmFJs

• 1 month later...

The saga of me trying to fall in the line with other Vice fans continues: I watched this ep again last night. As has been well-documented, I am out of step with other fans in that I've never "got" this episode, which I view as another middle-of-the-pack episode. But there is something I noticed this time around that I hadn't before. There's a lot of pad in this ep. Not to the ridiculous proportions of the interminable car-race scenes in "Florence Italy," but still the loooong scene in Stiltsville could've been much shorter, and the closing "Brothers in Arms" driving scene goes on about a third too long.

• Administrators

I personally love those 2 scenes but here, unlike mv.org, we are all entitled to our own opinions without fear of retribution! (and yes that was a cheap shot but I love it!) ;)

I personally love those 2 scenes but here' date=' unlike mv.org, we are all entitled to our own opinions without fear of retribution! (and yes that was a cheap shot but I love it!) ;)[/quote']Ditto on that. It doesn't get any better than that song playing to the night driving scene in the Daytona.

Yeah, and hopefully you all know I'm not trying to start any fights. The board's just seemed a little stagnant lately, so I'm trying to restart some conversations.

It was definitely one of the best episodes of the second season, and the twist ending is really what makes it so great...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Why is this the only episode where the poll is closed? I have voted for every other episode as I watched them, and this is my favorite of all and I can't vote for it!

• 7 months later...

this is one of my all-time favorites of not only the second season but of the series! I definitely would give this a 10 if I was allowed! :(Anyway--this is just an episode that captivates me everytime...no matter how many times I've seen it! The plot (which I've read was one' date=' like "Shadow In the Dark", that was [u']based on an actual case) was superb...and everyone gives superb performances!! :thumbsup: I especially love Bruce McGill's performance and his definite mental issues--but still intelligent at the same time! I love when he tries to first shake Castillo's hand and does that shaking of his head and cartoon-like noises of "shaking it off" or "waking up." :)The music was awesome too--especially at the end and the action was superb! I also like the song by The Who at the beginning with Little Richard--and that's now the starting theme song to "CSI: NY." The first time I saw this episode I actually did think you were supposed to think Acaro was dead and Marty Lang was just a nut-job---while in reality Marty was right and at the end Acaro would "pop" out of the woodwork (oops...pun intended! :p) and really would be alive. But, it turns out he was really a mummy in an old abandoned building! It was just something different and I loved it! "Out Where the Buses Don't Run", "Tale of the Goat", "Definitely Miami", and "Little Miss Dangerous" are my most favorite episodes of 2nd season--and some of my most favorite of the series. :cool:

This was my original critique of this episode...and I can't really say it any better! I still love this episode, and everything about it! Love watching McGill on "Rizzoli & Isles" now and I always think of this "MV" episode everytime I see him. :) I also think of this episode when watching "CSI: NY", as I stated originally The Who song is now "CSI: NY"'s theme song.

• 4 weeks later...

Always enjoyed this episode, never looked at it very critically until re-watching this evening.So - why would Hank have gone to all the trouble with the wild goose chase? Is he mentally stuck in some kind of feedback loop? I just don't get it. And Straitham, the now attorney, he was party to a cover-up? So do you surmise the pair is going to jail now? Feedback, please.Not sure my rating just yet, but was still entertaining.

Always enjoyed this episode' date=' never looked at it very critically until re-watching this evening.So - why would Hank have gone to all the trouble with the wild goose chase? Is he mentally stuck in some kind of feedback loop? I just don't get it. And Straitham, the now attorney, he was party to a cover-up? So do you surmise the pair is going to jail now? Feedback, please.Not sure my rating just yet, but was still entertaining.[/quote']Hank had lost his mind back when Accaro had gotten off on the technicality in court. He "snapped" and killed him. He then got his partner, then Straitham, to help him hide the body in the wall of an abandoned building.Not sure when Hank got out, but he eventually was released from some "nut house" and came back to Miami. He could not deal with the fact, mentally, that he had murdered Accaro--which would make him almost like Tony. So, his mind created the idea that Accaro was still really alive and secretly still managing the cocaine buisness in Miami. He fooled himself into believing it. People that have committed some horrible act, and cannot mentally or psychologically deal with it, will sometimes do that...create an "alternate" reality (that relieves them of any wrong doing) and make themselves believe it.His now lawyer partner was freaking because he knew Hank would snap again and eventually expose everything...but there was not much he could do, other than hope Accaro's body was never found. Sadly, it was as we saw at the end. Hank "snapped" again when he didn't find Accaro still alive, and just kind of lost it all the way around...going to where Tony's body was, and making it seem like he just caught him and was handing him over to be arrested.Obviously yes, both Hank and his lawyer partner would now go to jail--or Hank would probably go back to an institution for the rest of his life, while the partner would surely go to jail. I have no idea how much was "real" and how much was created by the writers...but I've read this episode was based on an actual real-life case! Not sure if the real case happened in Miami though?For some reason the rating poll has been disabled for this episode? :rolleyes: This is one of my all time favorites...so if I could I would give this one a 10!! :thumbsup:
  • Like 1

Nice

but I've read this episode was based on an actual real-life case! Not sure if the real case happened in Miami though?For some reason the rating poll has been disabled for this episode? :rolleyes: This is one of my all time favorites...so if I could I would give this one a 10!! :thumbsup:

Vicefanman - absolutely *VICETASTIC* summary, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for helping me close the loop. And feasibly based on something real, huh? Holy smokes. I really really like the Hank Weldon character with all his quirks, someone else mentioned he was in MacGyver, I thought I recognized him from somewhere. During the ep, I thought that Hank was creating this nutty persona to endear himself to others while masking a detective genius and kind of preserve the advantage of keeping a concealed deck. I also think that "Lorraine" was his guidepost back to reality, but he just never could quite reach it. Thanks again, VFM! I was maybe 3/4 of the way there, but couldn't succinctly put together what the hell just happened. Maybe it had just been a long time since watching. I have a lot more appreciation for the ep now. Yes, please re-unlock the poll!

Vicefanman - absolutely *VICETASTIC* summary' date=' exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for helping me close the loop. And feasibly based on something real, huh? Holy smokes. I really really like the Hank Weldon character with all his quirks, someone else mentioned he was in MacGyver, I thought I recognized him from somewhere. During the ep, I thought that Hank was creating this nutty persona to endear himself to others while masking a detective genius and kind of preserve the advantage of keeping a concealed deck. I also think that "Lorraine" was his guidepost back to reality, but he just never could quite reach it. Thanks again, VFM! I was maybe 3/4 of the way there, but couldn't succinctly put together what the hell just happened. Maybe it had just been a long time since watching. I have a lot more appreciation for the ep now. Yes, please re-unlock the poll![/quote']Your welcome! :D I've always liked the Hank Weldon character, and his goofy quirks were hilarious...but I think were also signs he was still very mentally ill. I've seen him on tons of things since this "MV" episode...but lately he's on TNT's "Rizzoli & Isles". Other than a little grayer, to me he still looks almost the same!I agree "Lorriane" was his sort of guide to the facts and/or reality...and when "she" didn't come up with the reality he had in his mind, he smashed her and flipped. :rolleyes: For all we know, somehow "she" may have come up with info that reminded him he'd killed Tony...and he couldn't deal with that.Yeah, I don't know how much of this episode is what happened in the real-life case...but supposedly something somewhat like this happened for real. The episode "Shadow in the Dark" was also an episode based on a real-life case.

• 2 months later...

11/10Nuff said.One of few times they actually got a humorous and dark mix episode to work.+ Stiltzville Scarab shootout. Sonny uses the Steyr AUG, Cool looking gun+ Bruce McGill+ The Who+ Trademark driving through the night sequence+ Dire Straits+ The guy from the jason bourne films who was hank's old partner. He's one of the best guest stars on the show

• Like 1

11/10, you really liked this ep, impressive.Was the trademark car scene paired with ICFICITAT? (I Can Feel It... now we have officially acronymized it.)Just saw ol' Hank this weekend on Animal House.

Okay...for whatever reason I can't vote and the poll is closed?? What the heck...this is one of my all-time favorites of not only the second season but of the series! I definitely would give this a 10 if I was allowed! :(Anyway--this is just an episode that captivates me everytime...no matter how many times I've seen it! The plot (which I've read was one' date=' like "Shadow In the Dark", that was [u']based on an actual case) was superb...and everyone gives superb performances!! :thumbsup: I especially love Bruce McGill's performance and his definite mental issues--but still intelligent at the same time! I love when he tries to first shake Castillo's hand and does that shaking of his head and cartoon-like noises of "shaking it off" or "waking up." :)The music was awesome too--especially at the end and the action was superb! I also like the song by The Who at the beginning with Little Richard--and that's now the starting theme song to "CSI: NY." The first time I saw this episode I actually did think you were supposed to think Acaro was dead and Marty Lang was just a nut-job---while in reality Marty was right and at the end Acaro would "pop" out of the woodwork (oops...pun intended! :p) and really would be alive. But, it turns out he was really a mummy in an old abandoned building! It was just something different and I loved it! "Out Where the Buses Don't Run", "Tale of the Goat", "Definitely Miami", and "Little Miss Dangerous" are my most favorite episodes of 2nd season--and some of my most favorite of the series. :cool:
That was my original critique of this episode...and I can't really say it any better! I still love this episode' date=' and everything about it! Love watching McGill on "Rizzoli & Isles" now and I always think of this "MV" episode everytime I see him. :) I also think of this episode when watching "CSI: NY", as I stated originally [i']The Who song is now "CSI: NY"'s theme song.
11/10Nuff said.One of few times they actually got a humorous and dark mix episode to work.+ Stiltzville Scarab shootout. Sonny uses the Steyr AUG' date=' Cool looking gun+ Bruce McGill+ The Who+ Trademark driving through the night sequence+ Dire Straits+ The guy from the jason bourne films who was hank's old partner. He's one of the best guest stars on the show[/quote']
Almost the perfect episode :shout::thumbsup::D
Completely agree...almost the perfect episode: superb plot, acting, colors, music, filming locations, action, suspense, fashion, etc... This is one of my all-time favorites of not only 2nd season but of the entire series! :thumbsup:
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

Just watched it again last night and still think it's the best episode of the series.  It's got everything as all of you have pointed out.  I watched this episode when it originally aired.  I was in high school, and I remember the ending absolutely blew my mind.  Now, having watched it many, many times, and even knowing what's coming, the ending is still very powerful.  When the series ended I went years without watching it, maybe 15 or more, and when I got back into it, this was one of the few scenes I could still remember very vividly after all that time.  I also remembered well the ending of No Exit and Little Miss Dangerous, plus a few other random bits, but this one stuck with me.  I think that says something about its quality.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Powerful episode from beginning to end. I remember when this originally aired in October of '85, perfect for the time of year with Halloween vibes. This one has it all, as mentioned throughout his thread. After gazing it again last night, I remembered the first time I saw it long ago how Weldon was borderline annoying to me, yet now years later I find his character magnificent and award worthy on all the impressions he pulled off.  C/T reactions to his lunacy seem so believable, and the pace of events really places the viewer in their shoes, do we trust this guy or not? Also, a certain intriguing sadness permeates the entire episode, deep below the surface, when already knowing the end. The ridiculous matched with serious, the line is walked so well in this one. Great action segments, beautiful scenery. The haunting end sequence with Dire Straits is pure magic, one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. 10/10

• Like 2

Powerful episode from beginning to end. I remember when this originally aired in October of '85, perfect for the time of year with Halloween vibes. This one has it all, as mentioned throughout his thread. After gazing it again last night, I remembered the first time I saw it long ago how Weldon was borderline annoying to me, yet now years later I find his character magnificent and award worthy on all the impressions he pulled off.  C/T reactions to his lunacy seem so believable, and the pace of events really places the viewer in their shoes, do we trust this guy or not? Also, a certain intriguing sadness permeates the entire episode, deep below the surface, when already knowing the end. The ridiculous matched with serious, the line is walked so well in this one. Great action segments, beautiful scenery. The haunting end sequence with Dire Straits is pure magic, one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. 10/10

I watched this episode Friday night and had the same feelings.  In addition, when viewing it now I can look back over the whole run of the series and appreciate the way the writers (at least some of them!) carried through and built on some of the characterizations that were hinted at early on.  As we watch Crockett staring at Hank Weldon, his face intermittently illuminated in the garish light from the police cars outside, we can see his unease as he slowly realizes what Hank did.  The lighting adds to the effect when he acknowledges Marty Lang's statement:  "I helped him build the wall... He was my partner.  You understand?  You understand?"   The song, Brothers in Arms, definitely enhances the effect. 

When Crockett finally nods his head and says "Yeah.  I do." those few words say so much about his character and are a foreshadowing of the ultimate outcome.  He didn't really get out before he had a Hank outcome--in taking out Hackman, he basically did the same thing as Weldon had.  And he ended up with amnesia at least partly because of the psychic disconnect between his ethics as an officer of the law, and his decision to take justice into his own hands.  At least I believe that was part of the reason, although yes, he did have a head injury as well.

• Like 1

This is absolutely my favorite Vice episode!!  From the opening scene of Little Richard preaching and Crockett having that strange feeling of being watched to the surprise ending.  The writers hit it out of the ballpark.  The performance by Bruce McGill as the good cop gone crazy is perfect.  Remember clam juice is good for you. :D  :D  :D

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Truly one of the best. 

Love Bruce McGill. I just wish he did his D Day laugh once in a while.

The opening is classic.

Personally i think its one of the best written episodes. Up there with Evan and Forgive Us Our Debts.

What makes it a classic is the ending. Damn i didnt see it coming. It gave me chills.

Even though its not in my top 20 i still gotta give it a 10.

10/10

• Like 4