Episode #25 "Out Where The Buses Don't Run"

Ferrariman

3 hours ago, Remington said:

Truly one of the best. 

Love Bruce McGill. I just wish he did his D Day laugh once in a while.

The opening is classic.

Personally i think its one of the best written episodes. Up there with Evan and Forgive Us Our Debts.

What makes it a classic is the ending. Damn i didnt see it coming. It gave me chills.

Even though its not in my top 20 i still gotta give it a 10.

10/10

Amen...this is one of my favorite episodes! :thumbsup:What makes it even more captivating is, it's based off a real-life case that happened in the Miami area in the 70s! :o

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Amen...this is one of my favorite episodes! :thumbsup:What makes it even more captivating is, it's based off a real-life case that happened in the Miami area in the 70s! :o

Really??!!  Can anyone elaborate on the real case?  Great to know, thanks ViceFanMan!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Susanna Girl said:

Really??!!  Can anyone elaborate on the real case?  Great to know, thanks ViceFanMan!  :thumbsup:

I don't know the specifics...I've just read before that both Out Where the Buses Don't Run and Shadow In the Dark were based off real-life cases. Now, the word "based" is probably the cue-word. ;) I don't know if the real cases had bodies buried in walls & computers named Lorraine...or psychos snarfing raw meat with flour while making fish-mouth motions :p , but I figure something from the cases had to inspire the writers for the episodes.  :baby:  But it's kind of freaky in a fun way to think something like that happened for real! :eek:

• Like 1

Watched Out Where the Buses Don't Run again last night...man how I love this episode!! The plot, acting, visuals, and music were superb!!  :thumbsup: Very humorous and somewhat slap-stick...yet very "dark" and tragic episode all in one! Dire Straight's haunting song Brothers in Arms at the end where C&T race to the abandoned house, as well as "Hank's" performance were amazing! :glossy:This is one of my favorites! :clap: Might watch it again yet tonight. :dance2:

• Like 6

• 7 months later...
19 hours ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

Lang said he helped Hank build the wall. Maybe President Trump could hire him then.

Lol! But, If it helps keeps illegals out... :baby: :thumbsup:

On 07/11/2017 at 6:39 PM, APalFromHawaii said:

Re-watched this episode last week, well..

It is an amazing episode, very well done! I'd definitely watch it again!:)

Fantastic ! A brilliant episode :hippie::xmas:

• 1 month later...

Hi there.
I saw this episode the other day, and wow, the episode is good by itself, but that last part, since it starts playing "Brothers in arms", that is strong material. From the moment the song begins, you feel that something big is going to happen. It is in the music, in the lyrics, in the way everything happens, the drama is sensed. By the way, one thing I love about this series is the night driving scenes, I do not know what it is but they have something special. And that final twist, totally unexpected! I mean, I probably saw this episode in 1985 when I was a teenager, but I did not remember anything. I have seen the scene 3 or 4 times throughout the afternoon. After looking for information on the internet, I discovered that it is one of the best rated episodes of the series. Awesome.
And it's one of the reasons why I've joined this community.

Welcome to the site, @Ricardo73! Yes, you are speaking of one of the best scenes of the series—the kind of stuff that made the show immortal and unforgettable. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

This episode is great except for Weldon. He is just fuggin' annoying

He’s supposed to be...cause he’d lost his mind. :radar:

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Had anyone here ever tried clam juice? :) 

No...I’ve always wondered if anyone else here has? It sounds nasty!! :sick: Lol! 

lol...McGill was classic. Watching the comedic turn to tragic, eventually realizing that Weldon was going mad from something horrible he had done in his past. And the culmination of his guilt at the flop house made this one of the best episodes in the series imo....and the music was stellar. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

No...I’ve always wondered if anyone else here has? It sounds nasty!! :sick: Lol! 

Yes...once. Never again. :sick:

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2018 at 12:09 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

lol...McGill was classic. Watching the comedic turn to tragic, eventually realizing that Weldon was going mad from something horrible he had done in his past. And the culmination of his guilt at the flop house made this one of the best episodes in the series imo....and the music was stellar. 

Amen...could not have said it better! :thumbsup:

On 4/11/2018 at 12:11 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

Yes...once. Never again. :sick:

Lol!! :)

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, Tommy Vercetti said:

This episode is great except for Weldon. He is just fuggin' annoying

I must disagree..........Weldon and his antics is what makes the episode, great! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

I must disagree..........Weldon and his antics is what makes the episode, great! :thumbsup:

Amen! :clap: One of the best and one of my favorites of the series! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Just watched this one again last night and noticed something I never had before: how often C, T, and Castillo waffle on whether Weldon is nuts or an asset to their investigation. First, Crockett says he was a helluva cop and its Tubbs saying he's out where the buses don't run. Literally seconds later Crockett is questioning Weldon's sanity. Later, it's Tubbs trying to convince Crockett that Weldon might be onto something. Castillo begins by giving Weldon the stare and refusing the shake hands, then later points out that everything Weldon has said has come true. Toward the end of the episode, he's putting it back and C&T's lap, asking if they think the team should believe Weldon (Tubbs says yes almost immediately, Crockett gives a much more reluctant thumbs up). Cripes, guys, make up your minds!

Also, Bruce McGill's performance still feels way too different in tone, distractingly so. I understand he was playing crazy, but there's a dramatic way to do it and a sitcommy way to do it. McGill did not achieve the proper tone, IMO. It's like he's on a totally different show than the rest of the actors. 

Edited by Viceman Cometh

I like the way Bruce McGill played Hank Weldon. It fit the upbeat mood of season two (and one) before MV got all serious and somber in season 3. Why not have a little fun with it while telling the story of an ex vice cop who lost his marbles a long time ago... ;) Besides, Hank Weldon still has his moments where you can look past the comedy facade and see that he really isn't right in the head.

And it's another testament to the fact that they got the mixture between serious hard hitting crime drama and some offbeat daftness right almost every time during the first two seasons. You had Izzy and the Noogman stealing a cement truck in season one, of all things, and people still fondly remember it as a good S1 episode.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

Daytona74 is right on the $$.

One of THE absolute best of the entire series.  Odd how the really good shows like MV, MPI,  The Simpsons, B&B, etc. really hit their stride in seasons 2-3.

"He was my partner...Understand?".  Great way to end an ep.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 3

Viceman Cometh, I can definitely see where you're coming from, and during the earlier part of the episode I had some of the same thoughts.  However, I have to agree with S.FL84 and Daytona74 that it was a powerful and episode with one of the strongest-ever endings. 

I think that (in the universe of the series), it's a perfect example of something looking lighthearted and fun on the outside--but the silliness is covering up a tremendous guilt and pain on Weldon's part, that actually caused him to break with reality on more than one occasion because he couldn't really deal with breaking his oath and taking society's vengeance into his own hands.

At different times, Crockett (who at least was familiar with Weldon's reputation as a cop), Tubbs, and Castillo react to the antics of Weldon in their own ways.  They don't all see him in the same light at the same time, and we don't understand why.  During the course of the episode, Weldon keeps C, T, and Castillo off-balance and we as the viewers are also kept off-balance.  We don't know whether he's going to lead them to a returned and reactivated master criminal, or whether he's stringing C&T along--or whether he truly is out of touch with reality, and responding only to imaginary clues.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the script, but that's how I see it.

• Like 1

Viceman Cometh, that is an interesting way to look at this episode..  Honestly I have a great fondness for Hank Weldon's character.  But I admit you are correct in what you say. Maybe because I love this episode I never saw what you are referring to.  Thanks for giving me a new perspective.  I will have to watch it again and pay closer attention. 

• Like 2

I'm sure other Vice fans here besides myself noticed the production assistant assisting casting off the stern lines in the Stilt City scene when Crockett took off.

• 2 months later...

Boy, did I not see that ending coming the first time around. What an excellent episode, McGill pulls off the crazed ex-cop quite well. Ya know, the guy made me laugh a lot so I wasn't expecting that dark of an ending. "Earth to Crockett, Earth to Tubbs!"

• Like 2

One of the greatest eps.  My only gripe is the treatment of the computer as a "magic box"  that can do whatever you want it to right away just by typing.  MV by no means was the only offender in this though.  This was a problem in film and tv from the 80s all the way to the 2000s.  Because it was a new technology, and not everybody had access to it, writers thought they could make computers do anything they want and the audience would buy it.  A nasty thing to think about is what all did they do to Arcaro once they got ahold of him and before they put him in that wall?  Suddenly Hank is not so funny at all.

Edited by Bren10
Spelling
  • Like 1