Episode #24 "Whatever Works"

Ferrariman

I love this episode! Awesome opening scene with the Santeria ritualistic killing of the bad cops, the plot itself was cool, and Eartha Kitt--she made the perfect Voodoo or Santeria priestess! Castillo and her seemed to have some kind of past...and she called him by his first name "Martin." Very few people on the show called him that--it was usually Lieutenant, or Lt. Castillo, or just Castillo. This and "Tale of the Goat" were pretty cool with the "spooky" religion storylines.Action was good--awesome gun battles at the end! But, my favorite is when Crockett and Tubbs pull up outside the mansion and the thugs just start shooting at them with hardly any warning. The whole storyline with Crockett getting his Ferrari repossessed by some dorky city guy was not that cool or important to me...in fact it was sort of an irritation. I know it was supposed to be funny and Izzy was fairly funny in this one...but overall they could've left that part of the episode out.I gave "Whatever Works" an 8! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Love Eartha Kitt and the cameo by Duran Duran's John Taylor was fine. Sonny's car troubles made for some nice comedic moments.All that aside, this episode is a pile of cow dung. One of the worst ones of this season.Btw, does anyone here know who playes Izzie's mute sidekick?Dude is hilarious.

• 7 months later...

Sonny in shorts....gets a 9 from me lol (sometimes I'm easy to please) :D:D:D

Not just shorts!!! Wow, practically with nothing on. Best shot of DJ ever? Yes!!!

Not just shorts!!! Wow' date=' practically with nothing on. Best shot of DJ ever? Yes!!![/quote'] :D I also liked him with the grey sweatpants in brothers keeper I think it was (on his boat down below after fighting with tubbs) :D

• 5 months later...

The first one-hour epsisode of the 2nd season is extravagant, has great cuts, tropical locations and awesome music.:happy: :clap:Moreover Whatever Works is a good mix of humorous scenes and dialogues, hard and long-lasting action sequences and a touch of exotic!!Insofar this episode illustrates a typical VICE episode and describes why we love VICE so much!!:happy:The plot centers on corrupt cops - a controversial topic. Sonny and Rico have to stir up a hornet's nest. Their investigation culminates in a punch-up with the corrupt cops in this fantastic Rock-bar where supergroup The Power Station has its brilliant gig - extremely cool! :cool:In addition Whatever Works offers two hard shootouts. Especially the last one is extensively staged (VICE attacks with an aerial platform!).I think the shooutouts in VICE are shown very realistically, specially the noises of the weapons sound real - very good job! :glossy:Another side of this episode offers many humorously scenes, for example when the accountant tries to confiscate Sonny's beloved Daytona. :D :hot:Izzy's entrance is world class in this scene - he tries to convince the accountant that the Sonny needs his Daytona for his camouflage (-holding a fish!)!!! :DI also love the exotic site of the story when Castillo, Sonny and Rico visit Chata. These scenes are always mystic and a bit eerie!For example when Castillo goes to the Santería-man: beautiful location and thrilling atmosphere.Music and style also leaves nothing to be desired: beside Get It On, Dark Night by The Blasters is chosen perfectly. :radio:And Sonny's jackets, shirts and trousers are - as always - absolutely nice! :thumbsup:9 of 10 points

• 8 months later...

This episode is pretty mediocre. I don't know if I don't like this because it comes after epic The Prodigal Son or is just a really mediocre episode - I don't know. At least it has Elvis in it and some humor. 7/10

• 10 months later...
I love this episode! Awesome opening scene with the Santeria ritualistic killing of the bad cops' date=' the plot itself was cool, and Eartha Kitt--she made the perfect Voodoo or Santeria priestess! Castillo and her seemed to have some kind of past...and she called him by his first name "Martin." Very few people on the show called him that--it was usually Lieutenant, or Lt. Castillo, or just Castillo. This and "Tale of the Goat" were pretty cool with the "spooky" religion storylines.Action was good--awesome gun battles at the end! But, my favorite is when Crockett and Tubbs pull up outside the mansion and the thugs just start shooting at them with hardly any warning. The whole storyline with Crockett getting his Ferrari repossessed by some dorky city guy was not that cool or important to me...in fact it was sort of an irritation. I know it was supposed to be funny and Izzy was fairly funny in this one...but overall they could've left that part of the episode out.I gave "Whatever Works" an 8! :thumbsup:[/quote']This was my original statement and rating of this episode. I still agree with it and love watching this episode each time I go through the show! :thumbsup:The only thing I will add, as oddly enough I don't really remember noticing it before (and this may have already been stated somewhere) is: what was up with Crockett's "changing" shirt? When he and Tubbs first pull up out front of the mansion, and during the shoot-out, he has on a lighter aqua-colored shirt under the sports jacket. Then, right after the shoot-out when they were questioning the bad-guys inside the house, he suddenly has on a darker teal-colored shirt under the sports jacket. Tubbs' clothes did not change, and Crockett's pants and sports jacket were still the same. :rolleyes: Maybe he "freshened" up for 'ol Eartha...as they were going to see her next. :p

• 1 year later...

Has the actress on Crx boat from the opening credits ever been identified? I know they re-use extras sometimes, but I don't recognize her.

I don't know, this isn't one of my favourites. The crooked cop's story was very thin and the whole Santeria thing was just an excuse to get Castillo to hang out with Eartha Kitt and do weird surreal scenes that reminded me of something out of Apocalypse Now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, this isn't one of my favourites. The crooked cop's story was very thin and the whole Santeria thing was just an excuse to get Castillo to hang out with Eartha Kitt and do weird surreal scenes that reminded me of something out of Apocalypse Now. 

I always thought they called the episode "Whatever Works" simply because they took all those elements and just threw them at the screen with the the thinking of, "We don't have a good script, so whatever we do works for this episode."  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Fast thoughts here, decent episode. Just picked up on, after all these years, John Taylor's dialogue to Sonny. I'm not quoting word for word, but he said something like ..."we got a new singer, can't tell the difference". As a huge Duran Duran, Arcadia and The Power Station fan, I'm pulling from this it was a jab, light hearted or not, at the late great legendary solo artist Robert Palmer, who had fronted the Power Station on the hit album in the charts back then, and then left the band before touring behind it to resume his long running solo career. He obviously did quite well after, but I wish he had stayed and been on Miami Vice in this episode. He had style and class. Just quick words for music junkies here. Happy weekend my friends 

• Like 1

I enjoyed this episode, but it seemed like there was a little too much focus on the music-video aspects compared to the story aspects (for me!).  The Santeria stuff was pretty cool and exotic to me at the time, and knowing how close Haiti and other Caribbean countries are to Miami, it made sense that an enclave of Santeria followers would be found in the city, interacting with the criminal element in some cases.  It just made the ep a little more "Miami" for me!  

It was also interesting to see how well-acquainted Castillo was with the Santeria priestess (I hope that's the right term).  With his experiences in Southeast Asia as well as probably the Caribbean population of South Florida (wasn't he Cuban by birth?) I've always seen him as very aware of and respectful of different cultural traditions.  It was just a little enhancement to the story. 

Great bit when the neighbor lady came out snapping pics of C&T doing surveillance in the city utility truck, as well as the pursuit with Zito in the cherry-picker :)

(snipped) Cool color matching of clothes & surroundings. Sonny's turquoise shirt matches Gina's dress! (snipped)

I enjoyed this, too!

(snipped) When I remember "Whatever Works" the comedy scenes remain in mind. Maxwell Dierks, Izzy's performance of course, the shooting in the street (anybody realized that Crockett landed on tubbs when they try to hide behind the hedge?) and also Crockett's anger everytime he discussed the indispensable need of a daytona ...  (snipped)   Lighting and style are also quite Vice like - especially Castillo's scene.    But the storyline itself isn't as sophisticated as I expected it after "The Prodigal Son". (snipped)

Crockett's anger every time he discussed the indispensable need of a Daytona...and the squad laughing and joking about it as he shouted at Castillo :)

I agree the storyline(s) weren't as sophisticated as I would expect, and there was really a bit too much going on.  It was a little confusing and (except for the Daytona) the different aspects of the plot weren't very well-developed.  More could have been done to show (if) the Santeria beliefs of the dealers affected their interactions with the dirty cops--or if the cops knew about/took into account the Santeria beliefs of the people they were dealing with.  Or maybe I didn't get it...  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I thought this was a great episode. Thing that I wondered though, was why this fell to vice - wouln't it have been more like a case for homicide ?

The plot was straightforward - Davila being extorted, so he killed them. 'They' being dirty cops just added to the flavor...alot. A simple plot spiced with the religious aspect and dirty cops. And I liked how the plot unfolded.

The Ferrari storyline was good too, so funny how Sonny was seemingly happy at the end when he got the car back :D

I'll give this a 4 out of 5.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Anybody know if the uncredited girl on Crockett's boat during the opening credits was ever identified? She seems very familiar to me from another appearance, but I can't quite remember. 

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Anybody know if the uncredited girl on Crockett's boat during the opening credits was ever identified? She seems very familiar to me from another appearance, but I can't quite remember. 

"You're never gonna call me"  "Yeah I'll call you.."     :)

I can't ID her either. 

"He's never gonna call me..."

"Never's a long long time"

Classic. 

Okay howabout this. Have any Jan Hammer buffs ever noticed how the nerdy guy who takes the Daytona had nearly the same speaking voice Jan? (Sans Czech accent). 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dadrian said:

"He's never gonna call me..."

"Never's a long long time"

Classic. 

Okay howabout this. Have any Jan Hammer buffs ever noticed how the nerdy guy who takes the Daytona had nearly the same speaking voice Jan? (Sans Czech accent). 

It was a funny exchange. He's supposed to be some sort of Accounting Administrator, Dierks I believe, and he gives new meaning to the term 'dork meat'   :p

I don't think that I know Jan's voice...have to find an interview with him.

Yeah, particularly in the scene where he's talking to "Count Moreno" just before Crockett comes busting in. A strange observation, I know. Maybe you can get too much MV and JH :) 

Definitely one of the more offbeat episodes. But testament to the fact that in seasons one and two, they managed to turn even slightly strange storylines into a highly watchable episode. The whole santería angle and "Count Moreno" on top of it was kind of off the wall even for "Vice" at the time.

As we all know, they had much less luck with storylines that were a bit "out there" in season four.

Even "Tale of the Goat" as one of the other slightly spooky season 1-2 episodes was really not badly executed.

16 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

Even "Tale of the Goat" as one of the other slightly spooky season 1-2 episodes was really not badly executed.

Yes, many great elements in that episode, but the soundtrack is the star in that one for me. Hats off the Fred Lyle and all the artists represented. 

16 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Yes, many great elements in that episode, but the soundtrack is the star in that one for me. Hats off the Fred Lyle and all the artists represented. 

Yes this is a great episode ! 

The Blasters track in particular that scene with Tubbs most filmed in Fort Lauderdale!

JHs tracks in this episode are also lower key nice 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is kind of a unique episode. Its not one of my favorites but it's good.

Honestly, the subplot of the Ferrari being taken is my favorite part. The scene on the St. Vidas Dance is hilarious. Izzy's speech about the cesspool of lawlessness is classic.

The santeria plot is weird but entertaining. Nice to get away from typical vice plots once in a while.

Also made me a fan of the song Dark Night.

8/10

Edited by Remington
  • Like 2