Episode #24 "Whatever Works"

Ferrariman

That Izzy speech is my favorite by Izzy and also one of my favorite lines on the show. Love it! 

"This man plunges hisself into the murky waters of the underworld... to risk life and limb to try and stem the crime flow... and keep us all from drowning in a cesspool of lawlessness... susussudia!" - Izzy regarding Crockett

"Sussudia" (how Izzy pronounces it) is also a reference to Phil Collins song "Sussudio." I noticed Izzy and Noogie made some song references a couple of times in some episodes. 

• Like 3

Also, the whole bit when Izzy finishes up with "...his old lady shot him last night". C&T laughs are totally genuine--and rightly so! I laugh EVERY TIME. :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

I agree! That also makes me laugh. Izzy had some good lines and scenes on the show. :)

Izzy made this episode !

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Izzy Moreno informing the impound lot manager that he "owns" the marina is IMO one of THE single funniest scenes of the entire series.  Its not what Izzy says but his body language.  Martin Ferrera, along w/ Charlie Barnett added soooo much to every scene they did on MV.

• 3 months later...

Bot of trivia 

The girl at the bar who dances with Tubbs is Toni Moon.. Mooney sometimes .. the real life girlfriend of Jon Roberts the real deal big time importer for the Medelian Cartel into the USA.. his book American Desparado is excellent.. 

He said he got DJ to get her a part to make up for PMT being rude to him.. either that or something else!!! 

She was a looker..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As part of my ongoing project to watch every vice episode in order from Brother's Keeper to Freefall, I watched Whatever Works again last night. An okay episode with some highs and lows.

Highs: the comic-relief of Crockett's Ferrari being taken away, Izzy's attempts to get it back (steal it?), and finally getting it back. 

I like when Crockett and Tubbs visit the dealer in the beginning and the goons disappear for a scary moment before opening fire. I like the ending when the bad cop drives crazy into the dealer's compound, forcing a gun fight. Also, Tubbs' nighttime drive where he's followed by the bad cops (to the song "Dark Knight"). "You're out of your jurisdiction, you're out of your league, and you don't even live in the neighborhood, chump!"

Lows: The appearance of The Power Station. Having them perform was fine, having them interact with Crockett like they're old buddies was too self-aware.  

It felt like they needed a lot of filler to get through the episode, even with the Ferrari subplot. The opening when dork meat comes for the Ferrari (and sees the girl leaving), the bar fight/power station and Castillo's encounter with the dealer's priest all seemed dragged out to eat minutes. The problem is that the core story was too basic: bad cops hurt dealer, dealer strikes back. Not much there--no major twists, no surprises, really. 

Still, a stylish 2nd-season episode that's worth the time. Things get a lot better next week with "Out Where the Buses Don't Run."

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I rate this episode at least an 8/10.It isn't the best in the series, but it certainly isn't the worst either. The secondary plot of Sonny's Ferrari being taken is what really makes this episode for me, classic stuff. And features Eartha Kitt as a guest star, enough said. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

8 out of 10.

Not in the same league as Buddies, Payback or OWTBDR but still a quality episode with the mixture of seriousness and comedy. Izzy stole the show. 

Watching this last night something I noticed, people say the girl at the bar acts poorly, I don't think it helped that her lines were dubbed in. Was it even her voice?

Edited by RedDragon86

This isn't an episode that grabbed me, although I think NFL coach Jon Gruden looks like that one Metro-Dade cop at the traffic stop; not quite a Sharp Dressed Man in uniform (and NFL coaches can never dress classy anymore), but that traffic stop did become pretty abrupt and violent . I don't know, even that scene seemed "off" to me, like much of the episode (like other viewers & fans though, I do like the Ferrari subplot and the appearance by Eartha Kitt, but the rest of it just don't click with me).

On 3/26/2015 at 12:49 AM, Spyder said:

I always thought they called the episode "Whatever Works" simply because they took all those elements and just threw them at the screen with the the thinking of, "We don't have a good script, so whatever we do works for this episode."  :)

That's one of my feelings on the title: the other is that the Santeria artifacts were placed at the crime scene to designate who in fact these (vaguely, at least to me) dirty cops are messing with, and the people that investigate see what the perps are leaving as their calling card and think, "Well, okay, whatever works". I feel its a very uninspiring title.

54 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

That's one of my feelings on the title: the other is that the Santeria artifacts were placed at the crime scene to designate who in fact these (vaguely, at least to me) dirty cops are messing with, and the people that investigate see what the perps are leaving as their calling card and think, "Well, okay, whatever works". I feel its a very uninspiring title.

I think the title in context means, well roughly: As long as you were benefited.

Like how they kidnapped one of the kids and got the payment, maybe the title refers to that particular situation. From the cops perspective "Whatever Works" Morandez even said their actions were unacceptable.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I love this episode! Awesome fashion, colors, and the opening scene with the Santeria ritualistic killing of the bad cops was creepy-awesome! The plot itself was really cool, with dirty cops & the Santeria rituals...and actress Eartha Kitt (who was one of 3 actresses to play Catwoman in the goofy 60s Batman series)--she made the perfect Voodoo or Santeria priestess! Don’t mess with her...or Castillo! :eek:

She and Castillo seemed to have some kind of past...and she called him by his first name "Martin." Very few people on the show called him that--it was usually Lieutenant, or Lt. Castillo, or just Castillo. This and "Tale of the Goat" were pretty cool with the spooky religion storylines. Action was really good--awesome gun battles at the end! But, my favorite is when Crockett and Tubbs pull up outside the mansion and the thugs just start shooting at them with hardly any warning. 

Music was awesome, too...with “Get It On...Bang a Gong” by Power Station, and also from some Duran Duran band members! :radio:

The whole storyline with Crockett getting his Ferrari repossessed by some dorky city guy was not that cool or important to me, but I know it was supposed to be funny and Izzy was pretty funny in this one...as was Elvis with ‘almost’ having dork-meat for breakfast! :)  Did anyone ever find out who played Izzy’s driver/assistant Manny? This has been brought up before, but no one has ever given an answer and/or name that I know of? He was hilarious as well!

One “goof” that I’ve not seen mentioned anywhere, is towards the beginning when Crockett & Tubbs go to the mansion...and they’re attacked with gun fire (one of my favorite action scenes mentioned above). At first Sonny is wearing an “aqua/sea foam” colored shirt under the white jacket. Then right after the gun battle, he’s suddenly in a “darker” jacket & wearing a darker blue (royal blue?) shirt underneath. I know this is MV & fashion was a focal point...but, Crockett has to change clothes minutes after getting shot at?? :) Gotta love older shows and “inconsistencies”...total escape & entertainment! Man, I miss those days! 

I also love how Crockett saves his sunglasses during that gun battle...when he & Tubbs are being shot at, he throws his tortoise shell Wayfarers in the grass as he gets his gun out. Then he suddenly realizes he doesn’t want to accidentally step on or crush them...so he moves them out of the way further. Sounds ridiculous, but I’d of done the same thing, lol! Probably not in reality...but on MV, don’t crush the tortoise shells! :p

The plot, action, creepiness, music,  performances, color & fashion, (and saving the Wayfarers :cool:)...all made an awesome episode, and another reason Season 2 was the best! :dance2: I originally gave "Whatever Works" an 8...if I could, I think I’d move it up to a 9! :thumbsup:

4AF05934-EC44-443B-A148-7E7FD4F0506F.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Gotta love older shows and “inconsistencies”...total escape & entertainment! Man, I miss those days! 

I agree with you! Too perfect is just dead, boring, anxious. I really love good quality. But that´s not the same as totally perfect.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 7:59 PM, ViceFanMan said:

I love this episode! Awesome fashion, colors, and the opening scene with the Santeria ritualistic killing of the bad cops was creepy-awesome! The plot itself was really cool, with dirty cops & the Santeria rituals...and actress Eartha Kitt (who was one of 3 actresses to play Catwoman in the goofy 60s Batman series)--she made the perfect Voodoo or Santeria priestess! Don’t mess with her...or Castillo! :eek:

She and Castillo seemed to have some kind of past...and she called him by his first name "Martin." Very few people on the show called him that--it was usually Lieutenant, or Lt. Castillo, or just Castillo. This and "Tale of the Goat" were pretty cool with the spooky religion storylines. Action was really good--awesome gun battles at the end! But, my favorite is when Crockett and Tubbs pull up outside the mansion and the thugs just start shooting at them with hardly any warning. 

Music was awesome, too...with “Get It On...Bang a Gong” by Power Station, and also from some Duran Duran band members! :radio:

The whole storyline with Crockett getting his Ferrari repossessed by some dorky city guy was not that cool or important to me, but I know it was supposed to be funny and Izzy was pretty funny in this one...as was Elvis with ‘almost’ having dork-meat for breakfast! :)  Did anyone ever find out who played Izzy’s driver/assistant Manny? This has been brought up before, but no one has ever given an answer and/or name that I know of? He was hilarious as well!

One “goof” that I’ve not seen mentioned anywhere, is towards the beginning when Crockett & Tubbs go to the mansion...and they’re attacked with gun fire (one of my favorite action scenes mentioned above). At first Sonny is wearing an “aqua/sea foam” colored shirt under the white jacket. Then right after the gun battle, he’s suddenly in a “darker” jacket & wearing a darker blue (royal blue?) shirt underneath. I know this is MV & fashion was a focal point...but, Crockett has to change clothes minutes after getting shot at?? :) Gotta love older shows and “inconsistencies”...total escape & entertainment! Man, I miss those days! 

I also love how Crockett saves his sunglasses during that gun battle...when he & Tubbs are being shot at, he throws his tortoise shell Wayfarers in the grass as he gets his gun out. Then he suddenly realizes he doesn’t want to accidentally step on or crush them...so he moves them out of the way further. Sounds ridiculous, but I’d of done the same thing, lol! Probably not in reality...but on MV, don’t crush the tortoise shells! :p

The plot, action, creepiness, music,  performances, color & fashion, (and saving the Wayfarers :cool:)...all made an awesome episode, and another reason Season 2 was the best! :dance2: I originally gave "Whatever Works" an 8...if I could, I think I’d move it up to a 9! :thumbsup:

4AF05934-EC44-443B-A148-7E7FD4F0506F.jpeg

I agree, I enjoyed Eartha Kitt as the Santeria Priestess.

Ha ha, if it was spooky or mysterious, Castillo probably had a past with it. I don't like everything about this episode, as sometimes it feels a bit disconnected to me, but I like it well enough I suppose.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 4:17 PM, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I agree, I enjoyed Eartha Kitt as the Santeria Priestess.

Ha ha, if it was spooky or mysterious, Castillo probably had a past with it. I don't like everything about this episode, as sometimes it feels a bit disconnected to me, but I like it well enough I suppose.

I've been thinking about this: I consider Castillo the Miami Batman (his desk is clean because it's all a facade; he presses a button to change the look, and also why he requests knocking on his door from the team), and sure, he knows The Priestess, since she used to be Catwoman before she retired to Miami (prrrrrfect location for her). I think it fits!

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I've been thinking about this: I consider Castillo the Miami Batman (his desk is clean because it's all a facade; he presses a button to change the look, and also why he requests knocking on his door from the team), and sure, he knows The Priestess, since she used to be Catwoman before she retired to Miami (prrrrrfect location for her). I think it fits!

You discovered their purrrrfect secret! :p

D62D30AE-5BF5-44B8-8091-9A2D6143F65E.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

Just now, ViceFanMan said:

You discovered their purrrrfect secret! :p

D62D30AE-5BF5-44B8-8091-9A2D6143F65E.jpeg

Oh yes, here it is, the missing ingredient! We're on to you, Marty, we know the score...just like Jack Gretsky (the great one) did.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I watched Whatever works again. I still find the scene where Izzy threatens the man who commandeers Crockett's car (I can never remember his name) with the fish just hilarious.
Of course I feel sorry for Crockett, who feels kind of naked without his Ferrari and also has to live with the gloating of his colleagues. And how happy he looks when Castillo tells him he has settled the matter with the Ferrari. But I think a thank you would have been appropriate. I'm missing a bit of politeness there.
The story itself has for me in some passages almost something scary. That starts with the beginning, where you first only see what objects the perpetrator places in the vehicle, but not why.
And of course there are the colleagues who want to take matters into their own hands.
One scene that I find very intense is the one where Castillo meets with the informant. You can't see exactly what he's doing with the knife, but something is lying there on this kind of altar. This includes the moment when they both face each other and do nothing but stare at each other. It always reminds me a bit of two males facing each other, trying to figure out which one is the boss.
Castillo once again clearly shows his line here. He knows that his informant has dirt on him and simply leaves him standing there with a certain arrogance.
It is not an outstanding episode, but okay.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 1:13 PM, Christine said:

Yesterday I watched Whatever works again. I still find the scene where Izzy threatens the man who commandeers Crockett's car (I can never remember his name) with the fish just hilarious.
Of course I feel sorry for Crockett, who feels kind of naked without his Ferrari and also has to live with the gloating of his colleagues. And how happy he looks when Castillo tells him he has settled the matter with the Ferrari. But I think a thank you would have been appropriate. I'm missing a bit of politeness there.
The story itself has for me in some passages almost something scary. That starts with the beginning, where you first only see what objects the perpetrator places in the vehicle, but not why.
And of course there are the colleagues who want to take matters into their own hands.
One scene that I find very intense is the one where Castillo meets with the informant. You can't see exactly what he's doing with the knife, but something is lying there on this kind of altar. This includes the moment when they both face each other and do nothing but stare at each other. It always reminds me a bit of two males facing each other, trying to figure out which one is the boss.
Castillo once again clearly shows his line here. He knows that his informant has dirt on him and simply leaves him standing there with a certain arrogance.
It is not an outstanding episode, but okay.

I like the episode, but sometimes I feel the overall package feels a little bit disjointed (the scene with the Metro-Dade police on South Beach is still rather disconcerting to me). My favorite bits are Izzy appearing to Maxwell Dierks as a rich fella (Izzy actually pulled that off, but Crockett was right to nix Izzy's scheme), when Crockett confronts the dirty cops at the bar (and yes, it's always great to have Crockett & Tubbs in the same place at the same time:-), and the part when Tubbs gets feisty with the cops tailing him at night. The title still doesn't really grab me either, but I like the episode well enough, but not enough to call it a favorite (along the same theme, I'd choose 'Tale of the Goat', which I feel flows a lot better, and it's spookier to me).

vor 23 Stunden schrieb Eillio Martin Imbasciati:

I like the episode, but sometimes I feel the overall package feels a little bit disjointed (the scene with the Metro-Dade police on South Beach is still rather disconcerting to me). My favorite bits are Izzy appearing to Maxwell Dierks as a rich fella (Izzy actually pulled that off, but Crockett was right to nix Izzy's scheme), when Crockett confronts the dirty cops at the bar (and yes, it's always great to have Crockett & Tubbs in the same place at the same time:-), and the part when Tubbs gets feisty with the cops tailing him at night. The title still doesn't really grab me either, but I like the episode well enough, but not enough to call it a favorite (along the same theme, I'd choose 'Tale of the Goat', which I feel flows a lot better, and it's spookier to me).

I agree. The scene with the Metro Dade cops is very disturbing, but that's how it's supposed to be. And it's also clear from the beginning that they're going to try to take vigilante action, probably out of fear as well. After all, they had enough dirt on them themselves.
As for "Tale of the goat", the subject matter is similar and yet different, but creepier in any case.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

One of those regular, but not outstanding, Vices.  The Santería aspect adds an unusual flavor to this corrupt cops and drug lords tale, especially with Castillo in that den with animals and Morandez in makeup.  Some two-fisted acting from patrolmen Blakeney and Solen, but that bar confrontation was a highlight.  I want to hang out with John Tayler and Power Station too! :dance2: 

That subplot of Sonny's Daytona being impounded was frustrating, especially with that pasty administrator.  But we get a classic bit with Izzy as the "owner of the marina"! 

• Like 2