Episode #23 "The Prodigal Son"

Ferrariman

7 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

Just a little after Crockett and Tubbs argue with the NYC cops, you see a girl in a car enthusiastically pointing to them and talking to the driver. She seems to recognize DJ and PMT. If I'm not crazy, her lips might even say "Miami Vice"

023-the%20prodigal%20sonmill%20creek%20b

She seems to be pointing at Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas !? who would have been in the line of vision at the side of the now demlished Moondance Diner:D:done::thumbsup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moondance_Diner

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Forget the 2006 film. THIS is the real Miami Vice movie.

Great cast.

The opening sequence was kinda cool.

It took me forever to realize that the actor who portrayed Calderone was in this one.

One of my favorite scenes is when Tubbs and Valerie plays right before the climax. It's so frickin beautiful.

The climactic shootoutwasn't too special but its not a big deal.

What a f*****g soundtrack!

Tonight I'll have to walk around at night with You belong to the city playing and look moody. Which is weird because i live in the country lol.

10/10

• Like 3

This is for ViceFanMan.

Do you have any screenshots of this episode from the original airing?

I have a feeling the BR is closer to the original negative than the dvd. 

Edited by Remington

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2010 at 0:13 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I love the second season as much as the first...but this 2hr. season premiere was probably my least favorite of the season."The Prodigal Son" was just weird and bizarre, and I thought Crockett and Tubbs did some stupid things that normally they wouldn't have. :evil: I liked the idea that they had to go to Tubbs' old stomping grounds of New York--and I love Jan Hammer's "MV" New York theme! But, I did not want practically the whole episode to take place there! :rolleyes:

This is my opinion, but New York is crowded, dirty, crammed together, and with no color--and tons of TV shows have used that city as the normal location. A part at the beginning would have been enough and then they could've returned to Miami. Also, the part where they discover Gina and other officers shot...I thought it was really goofy and very "Charlie's Angels"-like when Trudy got her gun out but continued to hold onto her fancy teal purse! :) In reality she'd of dropped that thing immediately and wouldn't have thought twice about it! 

Then half the time in New York you couldn't quite tell what was going on and to whom it was coming from or intended for?? It was confusing a lot of the time. ?(Then Crockett decides to "solo" it all over a strange city he doesn't know (yet he of course finds his way around with no problem) and ends up at some party where he meets some strange lady--that he lets take advantage of him and she steals his gun, no less! :eek: That was stupid and just didn't seem like Crockett--not that he didn't like the ladies...but putting himself in that situation in a strange place where he didn't know anyone or anything was just dumb!

Then Tubbs runs around whining about and chasing his "whacked" out old girlfriend Valerie--who seems to have gone off the deep end. Then enter the scary-as-he** looking, evil ghost-minister from "Poltergeist II" bank manager (Julian Beck)--what was up with that "troll" and his water?? He practically looked like he might get-it-on with his little glass of water while babbling about some figures and drug lords to Crockett and Tubbs. :o Whatever!! :sick:

I think he thought he was still on the "Poltergeist" set...as he should have probably guest-starred in "Tale of the Goat" instead! ;) He would have fit in much better in that episode. Overall I just thought for a 2hr premiere it should have been better...it was just too weird and bizarre. Most of it left me asking...huh?? :radar: Maybe I'm being too harsh here...but I gave it a 4.

This was my original review of Prodigal Son...I know I'm probably in the "minority" here, but Im sorry...not much has changed with how I feel about this one. Other than the awesome music, this was not worthy of a 2hr episode...let alone the season premiere! 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

One of my favourite episodes - it's epic stuff MV in its prime from September 1985.

Gonna watch tonite for the  first time in blu ray !

:hippie:

Edited by Matt5

On 5/27/2017 at 0:42 AM, ViceFanMan said:

This was my original review of Prodigal Son...I know I'm probably in the "minority" here, but Im sorry...not much has changed with how I feel about this one. Other than the awesome music, this was not worthy of a 2hr episode...let alone the season premiere! 

Man, Julian Beck was frail looking in that episode.  I didn't realize he was only 60 when he passed.  He looked 80 in that episode.

On 5/27/2017 at 1:42 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Although I totally enjoyed Prodigal Son and could re-watch it any time, I must say that everything you say is true, ViceFanMan!

The last bit, when Crockett is preparing to go back to Miami, to the song "Take Me Home", not knowing whether Tubbs is going to come with him, is great!

• Like 2

On 9/18/2017 at 2:57 PM, IA-SteveB said:

Man, Julian Beck was frail looking in that episode.  I didn't realize he was only 60 when he passed.  He looked 80 in that episode.

Yeah, I found out later he was very ill by this time...sadly I believe he was dying from cancer during the time "Prodigal Son" was filmed. :(  I didn't know this back when I first posted my original review. However, he still was bizarre and creepy about the glass of water, LOL! And, even in "Poltergeist II", (pre-cancer) he was still creepy and scary looking! :eek:

I still stand by my original review: I know many love the episode "Prodigal Son"...however, I will probably remain in the "minority" and say that I still don't care for it, and I thought a lot of ridiculous things occurred in it. :evil:  I also still feel it was not worthy of a 2hr episode, and definitely NOT the season premiere! :thumbsdown:

Gosh, I didn't know he had cancer. :(

I didn't think this needed a two part story either but I sure liked the musical score.  Take Me Home is one of my favorite Phil Collins songs and I remember it in Magnum PI as well.  Magnum used several Genesis/Collins songs.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

I didn't think this needed a two part story either but I sure liked the musical score.  Take Me Home is one of my favorite Phil Collins songs and I remember it in Magnum PI as well.  Magnum used several Genesis/Collins songs.

That is one thing I'll give this episode...awesome musical score! :radio: :clap: I love Magnum too, but crazy enough I don't remember the Phil Collins' song in that show as well. It's been several years since I watched Magnum--maybe this next spring/summer it's time to head "southwest" from Miami...to Oahu! :dance2:

• Haha 1

On 20/09/2017 at 3:10 PM, IA-SteveB said:

I didn’t realise Magnum PI used Genesis/PC songs 

On 20/09/2017 at 3:05 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I still stand by my original review: I know many love the episode "Prodigal Son"...however, I will probably remain in the "minority" and say that I still don't care for it, and I thought a lot of ridiculous things occurred in it. :evil:  I also still feel it was not worthy of a 2hr episode, and definitely NOT the season premiere! :thumbsdown:

Yeah I don't know what is about that one that puts me off watching. I thought the gimmick of it being set in New York and the Smuggler's blues-sque story was a decent enough idea for a season premiere, but when they do finally get to New York it turns into Serpico more than Miami Vice. It reminds me of Back to the future 3 when it just turns into a western and you're like "um this ain't Back to the future" =(

Maybe they should have cut out the Everglades and the South America opening, Have the first half be in New York and then they return to Miami for the last 45 mins. But then again we'd have missed out on the epic scene "You're dirty ace and I'm patient." So Idk. I don't hate it, just meh. Could've been better or worse.

• Like 1

Not a fan of this episode either. I agree with ViceFanMan about the story/plot being confusing a mess. Some of the highlight's were the music. The music montage with Glenn Frey's "You belong to the city" was awesome, had that on repeat for a long time after watching the episode. Good music can always lift an episode a bit to me, (make it enjoyable) even if the story is not the best. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

Magnum used several Genesis/Collins songs.  "Mama," "Tonight, tonight tonight," and "The Brazilian" also come to mind.

MV leftovers :p

"Mama" is the most MV song I've ever heard. How did that not get used? :birdie:

9 hours ago, Dadrian said:

MV leftovers :p

"Mama" is the most MV song I've ever heard. How did that not get used? :birdie:

Like most of the songs on the 1986 “Invisible Touch” album 

• 4 months later...
On 25/11/2016 at 11:24 AM, ivoryjones said:

Just a little after Crockett and Tubbs argue with the NYC cops, you see a girl in a car enthusiastically pointing to them and talking to the driver. She seems to recognize DJ and PMT. If I'm not crazy, her lips might even say "Miami Vice"

023-the%20prodigal%20sonmill%20creek%20b

Yes! I noticed that and it made me laugh. 

I agree with the people who say that this is not a brilliant episode. It has some brilliant moments, It has great outdoor scenes and in broad daylight in New York City, but all in all it feels a bit too long, a bit confusing, like sometimes I lost my focus and then I did not know what was happening, who that character was or where the protagonists were going. It has a lot of potential, but it lacked a more solid plot structure, rather than accumulating scenes one after the other.

Edited by Ricardo73

• 4 months later...
On 4/12/2013 at 8:18 AM, Viceman Cometh said:

Why the heck did Valerie show up to the meeting at the end between C&T and the Revillas? Man, that chick ruins everything. And what was that exchange between her and Luis Guzman, where Guzman tells her "this is not your fight" and she says "it is now"?Anyway, I watched it AGAIN last night and it STILL blew me away. It's still one of the best TV movies ever made.

Bullseye!!! 

Prodigal Son Gene Simmons.jpg

On 2/4/2018 at 6:09 PM, Ricardo73 said:

Yes! I noticed that and it made me laugh. 

I agree with the people who say that this is not a brilliant episode. It has some brilliant moments, It has great outdoor scenes and in broad daylight in New York City, but all in all it feels a bit too long, a bit confusing, like sometimes I lost my focus and then I did not know what was happening, who that character was or where the protagonists were going. It has a lot of potential, but it lacked a more solid plot structure, rather than accumulating scenes one after the other.

Your missing the whole point of the ep..  MV against the NYC locations + the huge guest stars AND the incredible Glen Frey song.  God I'm glad to have been around then & in touch with the popular cultural relevance of this ep..!  The plot is just a vehicle. 

The single best fall series opener of the entire wonderful 1980's...besides the '84 pilot.  

Edited by S.FL84

It's sadly odd how prophetic Julian Beck 's words were re: the globalists who fifteen yrs later staged the fake terrorist attack known as 9/11 blocks away from the actual filming location of the scene.  Which coincidentally was also the rooftop scene actual filming location.  The Bush's, the Clinton's and their Saudi friends will deeply regret their choices I assure you. 

Money, money, money... You can't take it with you Mr Bush.., enjoy hell with Allister Crowley. 

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2013 at 8:18 AM, Viceman Cometh said:

Why the heck did Valerie show up to the meeting at the end between C&T and the Revillas? Man, that chick ruins everything. And what was that exchange between her and Luis Guzman, where Guzman tells her "this is not your fight" and she says "it is now"?Anyway, I watched it AGAIN last night and it STILL blew me away. It's still one of the best TV movies ever made.

Bullseye!!!