Episode #23 "The Prodigal Son"

Ferrariman

Have never been a big fan of this ep. Just don't think MV was supposed to be set in NY. Which is the reason why I think most of the best bits of the entire ep are the bits not in NY!Too much I don't like about this ep, so I'll try and stick with the positives...Some of the colours in the Miami scenes are glorious - the party building where Gina gets shot is superb. Love the first shot after the opening credits too where Sonny pulls away slowly from the green lit map. The direction of the hospital scene is amazing - the silhouettes against the blinds and every one placed in a specific place in the shot - now that's what I call art ! Even when Sonny turns to face the camera he is doing it in a very precise way like he's been taught or has rehe****d exactly where to put his feet. Incredible attention to detail.The 'everyone catches a cold' scene is classic and for my money perhaps the best scene in the whole ep. Chilling in a way that MV seldom if ever is.In my book the positives just about bring this ep back to 'average' for me (if I'm being generous) and so I have to score as a 6 out of 10.

• 1 month later...

This is Miami Vice hitting it's stride, at it's most commercial. Lots of great tunes, good story cutting across south america-miami-New York. Gene Simmons and Teller. Plus Pam Grier. Unbelievable scene with the Banker. Now there is a good stage actor, and Don really gets into the scene with him.Tell me, is the scene with the girl and the Taxi totally sexy? "Do you believe in love...."10/10

• 11 months later...

I love the second season as much as the first...but this 2hr. season premiere was probably my least favorite of the season."The Prodigal Son" was just weird and bizarre, and I thought Crockett and Tubbs did some stupid things that normally they wouldn't have. I liked the idea that they had to go to Tubbs' old stomping grounds of New York--and I love Jan Hammer's "MV" New York theme!But, I did not want practically the whole episode to take place there! :rolleyes: This is my opinion, but New York is crowded, dirty, crammed together, and with no color--and tons of TV shows have used that city as the normal location. A part at the beginning would have been enough and then they could've returned to Miami.Also, the part where they discover Gina and other officers shot--I thought it was really goofy and very "Charlie's Angels"-like when Trudy got her gun out but continued to hold onto her fancy teal purse! :) In reality she'd of dropped that thing immediately and wouldn't have thought twice about it.Then half the time in New York you couldn't quite tell what was going on and to whom it was coming from or intended for?? It was confusing a lot of the time. :confused: Then Crockett decides to "solo" it all over a strange city he doesn't know (yet he of course finds his way around with no problem) and ends up at some party where he meets some strange lady--that he lets take advantage of him and she steals his gun, no less! :eek: That was stupid and just didn't seem like Crockett--not that he didn't like the ladies...but putting himself in that situation in a strange place where he didn't know anyone or anything was just dumb! Then Tubbs runs around whining about and chasing his "whacked" out old girlfriend Valerie--who seems to have gone off the deep end.Then enter the scary-as-he** looking, evil ghost-minister from "Poltergeist II" bank manager (Julian Beck)--what was up with that..."troll" and his water?? He practically looked like he might get-it-on with his little glass of water while babbling about some figures and drug lords to Crockett and Tubbs. :) Whatever!! :sick: I think he thought he was still on the "Poltergeist" set...as he should have probably guest-starred in "Tale of the Goat" instead! ;) He would have fit in much better in that episode.Overall I just thought for a 2hr premiere it should have been better...it was just too weird and bizarre. Most of it left me asking...huh?? :radar: Maybe I'm being too harsh here...but I gave it a 4.

• 3 weeks later...
But' date=' I did [b']not want practically the whole episode to take place there! :rolleyes: This is my opinion, but New York is crowded, dirty, crammed together, and with no color--and tons of TV shows have used that city as the normal location. A part at the beginning would have been enough and then they could've returned to Miami.QUOTE]I concur. I'm not much of a fan of New York either. The scene at Gene Simmons' yacht was gorgeous but then when it cuts to NYC I'm always like 'Go back to Miami, dammit!'
  • Like 1

• Administrators

The New York scenery was great but I don't remember seeing many pastel buildings last time I was there! :p

I concur. I'm not much of a fan of New York either. The scene at Gene Simmons' yacht was gorgeous but then when it cuts to NYC I'm always like 'Go back to Miami' date=' dammit!'[/quote']LOL! :) Exactly! And once they were in New York it just seemed like they were making stupid choices and the whole thing was weird :confused:. They needed to get back to Miami and leave the freaky "Poltergeist" priest back in NY! :p
The New York scenery was great but I don't remember seeing many pastel buildings last time I was there! :p
LOL! :D Nope...I don't think pastel and art deco go with New York. That's why they should've gone back to Miami after just a little bit at the beginning at NY. But, I did really like Jan Hammer's "MV" New York theme!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Being a native New Yorker, this season premiere was highly anticipated for me back then. The city was a buzz, due to DJ and PMT being spotted on the steet filming in Manhattan. Expectations were high, critics and fans waiting to see it the 1st season was fluke. Well it didn't disappoint, Prodigal Son kicked off the 2nd season in a major way.Sonny got to see how things are in Rico's hometown, the greatest city in the world.Miguel Pinero returned as a new character, that was the polar opposite of Calderone.Pam Grier was on hand, to provide some romantic sizzle with PMT.Crockett hooked up with Carzy Margaret, played by Susan Hess.Loved her haircut.This episode worked on all levels and proved that MV wasn't a fluke.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Prodigal Son is an awesome episode.That was a right way to start Season 2.One of my most favorite episodes.The fact that most of it is set outside of Miami doesn't bother me After all,NYC is a great city and home ground to Tubbs.This episode comes together just perfectly : the style is immense,the action is exciting ,the music is very well-chosen and the story is captivating.However, with that being said,I've got one question.The DEA Commander said that there was no chance that The Revillas could make Crockett and Tubbs for cops.Did he forget that they just had a shoot out with Miguel which was one of The Revillas? (I m talking about the shootout at Dummond's ) He had to figure out that they were cops!Maybe somebody can clarify that moment to me?Much appreciated.Still.10 out of 10.

• 2 months later...
Always felt that this episode holds up well as a stand alone movie' date=' apart form MV.Any thoughts?[/quote'] Indeed it does. Although knowing the backstory of NYC being Rico's hometown and how his rule-bending prompted his switch to "Southern law enforcement" does add a deeper appreciation for it, IMO.But I've always said this ep is true event television, feature-quality, and that you don't so much watch it as let it happen to you. It's one of the most impressive made-for-tv "movies" ever.

Indeed it does. Although knowing the backstory of NYC being Rico's hometown and how his rule-bending prompted his switch to "Southern law enforcement" does add a deeper appreciation for it' date=' IMO.But I've always said this ep is true event television, feature-quality, and that you don't so much watch it as let it happen to you. It's one of the most impressive made-for-tv "movies" ever.[/quote']Well Said.It's one of the MV episodes that I've rewatched the most on tv and dvd.

Always felt that this episode holds up well as a stand alone movie' date=' apart form MV.Any thoughts?[/quote']By all means I completely respect your opinions and thoughts...but I have to disagree with this one. Here's what I had stated earlier on "Prodigal Son":I love the second season as much as the first...but this 2hr. season premiere was probably my least favorite of the season."The Prodigal Son" was just weird and bizarre, and I thought Crockett and Tubbs did some stupid things that normally they wouldn't have. I liked the idea that they had to go to Tubbs' old stomping grounds of New York--and I love Jan Hammer's "MV" New York theme!But, I did not want practically the whole episode to take place there! :rolleyes: This is my opinion, but New York is crowded, dirty, crammed together, and with no color--and tons of TV shows have used that city as the normal location. A part at the beginning would have been enough and then they could've returned to Miami.Also, the part where they discover Gina and other officers shot--I thought it was really goofy and very "Charlie's Angels"-like when Trudy got her gun out but continued to hold onto her fancy teal purse! :) In reality she'd of dropped that thing immediately and wouldn't have thought twice about it.Then half the time in New York you couldn't quite tell what was going on and to whom it was coming from or intended for?? It was confusing a lot of the time. Then Crockett decides to "solo" it all over a strange city he doesn't know (yet he of course finds his way around with no problem) and ends up at some party where he meets some strange lady--that he lets take advantage of him and she steals his gun, no less! ?( That was stupid and just didn't seem like Crockett--not that he didn't like the ladies...but putting himself in that situation in a strange place where he didn't know anyone or anything was just dumb! Then Tubbs runs around whining about and chasing his "whacked" out old girlfriend Valerie--who seems to have gone off the deep end.Then enter the scary-as-he** looking, evil ghost-minister from "Poltergeist II" bank manager (Julian Beck)--what was up with that..."troll" and his water?? He practically looked like he might get-it-on with his little glass of water while babbling about some figures and drug lords to Crockett and Tubbs. :wuerg: Whatever!! I think he thought he was still on the "Poltergeist" set...as he should have probably guest-starred in "Tale of the Goat" instead! He would have fit in much better in that episode. ;)Overall I just thought for a 2hr premiere it should have been better...it was just too weird and bizarre. Most of it left me asking...huh?? Maybe I'm being too harsh here...but I gave it a 4.

I completely agree that, storywise, this is a pretty weak episode. But they throw so much eye candy up on the screen, it's a great ride.

• Administrators
I completely agree that' date=' storywise, this is a pretty weak episode. But they throw so much eye candy up on the screen, it's a great ride.[/quote']Exactly. The same can be said for a lot of the episodes. Weak story but great to watch. "The Prodigal Son" will always be in my top 5 of all time.

I completely agree that' date=' storywise, this is a pretty weak episode. But they throw so much eye candy up on the screen, it's a great ride.[/quote']This is true, there was a little eye-candy there...but there are way more episodes that have much "sweeter" eye-candy than this one! I think the idea of going back to Tubbs' roots and the cool theme for the episode is what at first attracts the viewer...but once you get into it, it's just weird, confusing, and not that exciting.But, there are always good episodes and bad episodes to every show. LOL! It sort of reminds me of that stupid "Harry Potter" Hogwarts candy--sometimes you get some sweet and tasty ones...while other times you might get a buger or vomit flavored one! :p:D:DBut both the good and the bad (and maybe the ugly :)) all make up some superb television at its best--to each his or her own! :daumenrauf:

• Administrators

Sometimes the worst Vice episode is still better than the best thing on TV now!

• Like 1

True! I'd even say, it usually is better! Am I getting so old (and sentimental when it comes to my "Miami Vice only/1980s mostly" fixations :D) that I can hardly find anything good on TV now? I just switched it off for good which is beneficial for my electricity bill :D "The Prodigal Son" can be just eye-candy and again unrealistic but it's one of the episodes which I rewatch most often. Does anyone know if other versions of "The New York theme" by Jan Hammer have been published anywhere or covered by anyone? I mean those slower and less "dynamic" ones than the one which appeared on one of JH's albums - I hope you know what I mean...

Even Missing Hours? ?(Must agree about the current state of tv, great shows are far and few in between. For me the best ones right now are True Blood, The Walking Dead and Boardwalk Empire.Still have to catch up on Dexter and see Breaking Bad. Which I keep hearing is really good.

This is so true...dang, I wish I'd said that!! :DThere is so much garbage on today that it's hard to find anything worth watching! I'd even rather watch "Missing Hours" (which in my opinion is the worst and most pathetic episode of "MV") than some shows on now. I collect so many older TV shows (from all decades) that I usually end up putting DVD's of those in instead.However, there are a few shows I still catch and enjoy watching. My new favorite show (and still going strong) is the new "Hawaii Five-0!" I also like "Bones" and once in a while I'll still catch "CSI"--but sometimes even "CSI" is stupid anymore. 8O I also am slowly getting into Tom Selleck's new show "Blue Bloods." But that too has the "ingredients" to eventually become a police-political soap-opera. But, so far it's pretty good. Time will tell.

Its an easy 9, Id have given it a ten but I hate 'romances' in action series as I despise soap operasIts one of my favorite episodes, the scene especially w/ Crockett wandering around NY, perfect music and crooked big city cops:tasse:

• Like 1

:sick::sick::sick:

LOL!! :):) Yeah' date=' those two are pretty sick/stupid ones...and even though "Prodigal Son" is a little better than those two, I was still [b']GRAVELY disappointed by it. However, I'd still rather watch any of those three episodes than a lot of the crap that's on now. ;)