Episode #23 "The Prodigal Son"

Ferrariman

LOL!! :):) Yeah' date=' those two are pretty sick/stupid ones...and even though "Prodigal Son" is a little better than those two...[/quote']"Prodigal Son" is much, much, much better :p than "missing cows" :D:D:D

"Prodigal Son" is much' date=' much, much better :p than "missing cows" :D:D:D[/quote']LOL--"Missing Cows!" :):) They should have combined "Missing Hours" and "Cows of October" and called it "Missing Cows." :DWell..."Missing Hours" is the worst episode (in my opinion), followed by "Cows of October." I know that "Prodigal Son" is better than those two, and by all means I would always watch it over those other two, but I don't know if I'd add that many "much's" before the better. ;) I'm still disappointed by "Prodigal" and it was sort of a let-down. I might add one "much" to the better. :p

LOL--"Missing Cows!" :):) They should have combined "Missing Hours" and "Cows of October" and called it "Missing Cows." :D
That's exactly what I meant :D:D:D Cows abducted by aliens' date=' perhaps? ;)
I don't know if I'd add that many "much's" before the better. ;) I'm still disappointed by "Prodigal" and it was sort of a let-down. I might add one "much" to the better. :p
Well, I did add those extra ones because I am a ViceFanGirl (if I may ;)); this irrelevant fact probably makes a difference in my reception of this episode. :p

That's exactly what I meant :D:D:D Cows abducted by aliens' date=' perhaps? ;)Well, I did add those extra ones because I am a ViceFanGirl (if I may ;)); this irrelevant fact probably makes a difference in my reception of this episode. :p[/quote'] LOL! :D Yeah, and when Trudy supposedly gets abducted and returned, all she does is "Moo!" at people! :p"Prodigal Son" is okay I guess...I was just very disappointed for what I thought it should have been. But, certain fans love some episodes, and others don't--there's maybe even those who really like "Missing Hours!" :eek: :)I actually sort of like comparing episodes with other fans of the show...to see why they like certain episodes and not others, even if I disagree with their opinions. It's all in fun and I find it very interesting. To each his or her own! :thumbsup:

Always felt that this episode holds up well as a stand alone movie' date=' apart form MV.Any thoughts?[/quote'] Most definitely. I think if you take it strictly as a sequel to the pilot you have an awesome couple of movies and you tie in Tubbs' backstory.I gave it a solid 10. One of my top 5 episodes for the series. "I don't like this game already." I swear I'm going to use this on some chick when the opportunity presents itself. Don't care how it ends up, but I have a feeling I'll score if the chick is as nuts as margaret. :DBy the way, I think the sexual tension is palatable just before Sonny plants one on her outside of the Taxi. On a side note, a buddy of mine caught that was Ken Ober driving the cab (a day or so after he pointed that out to me, Ken died-man that was crazy). Okay for the meat. What an openning scene. Love when the white horse goes galloping by, it really gave things a mystical/twighlight zone feel. Crockett and Tubbs walking out to Jan's music and the turn as the machine gun goes off is a powerful openning. Flash to the Everglades-"What a mess!"-awesome Crockett line, but I also love him talking about his time in the swamps. Flashfoward to NYC with a great montage of the city giving people who haven't been there (which I have) a feel for what its like being a fish out of water in awe of everything which Sonny was. Pen Jillette is great (oh I forgot about Gene Simmon's cameo-that was great-and I agree with his statement on taxes!!!). Love how angry Charles Dutton is that his turf is being invaded. That's a great scene later when they are on top of a building (was it the Pan Am?) and he cracks that wry smile...I get a kick out of it. Awesome shootout when Sonny buys the $1.50 lucky strikes (I heard its $10 in Manhattan-$14 on the Island and $17 in Queens-give me a friggin break). I know I'm jumping around but who cares-gotta make it interesting and unique. Anyway, fabulous scene where they make the Revillas shiver by taking their dope and blowing up their stash house. Then when the head honcho gets the news and steps outside-top notch zoom out with Jan's music pulsating to give the viewer the panarama shot of the city. Another great shootout when Crockett and Tubbs go to visit Jimmy only to find him executed in his elevator and the guys still lurking (I also wonder why does Jimmy have an elevator in his apartment? he's on the first floor-strange). As was stated by others, that whole scene with Mr Johnston is one of the best filmed for TV. It really shows whoever wrote the episode has a keen understanding for the way the game is really played. People act as if their jobs are important or what they do is important but there are greater forces at play and it has to be emasculating to Crockett and Tubbs to find out that they can represent enemies to the state just as easily as those they track (or at least in the eyes of the powers that be)...still Crockett's comeback is classic "You are dirty ace and I'm patient." The climatic scene is one of my favorites in the entire series. Beginning with the two anxiously waiting in the hotel room then the pan down from WTC to the meeting place. The only thing I don't get is when Valerie shows up and she starts calling out the one Revilla "Tell him (whatever his name was)" then him responding "Matta no" or something to the effect and jerking the guys gun after he says "Time to die!" I don't understand that, can someone please clarify that? I think that if Sonny hit the fuel pump or a rotar, it could screw the copter's propulsion up to the degree it did (TC was brought down a time or two b/c magnum kept getting his chopper fired at). Great ending too-Tubbs getting some only to pull an OJ (before he was a double murderer) running through the airport to catch up with Sonny before he leaves. Finally, back in the OCB Sonny and Gina with their chemistry and then Sonny being Sonny pushing her to the backburner as always but Gina always was their like a puppy dog hoping he'd change-a quick smile kept her in tow. There is nothing on network TV that remotely compares to this quality. The production value, the story, the acting, the music (shoot I didn't even mention that-I absolutely loved the instrumental Traffic song they played as Jimmy took C&T all over town, striking out wherever they went) are all top notch.

• 3 months later...

awesome! just LOVED it! everything... especially Sonny walking around the city (he really looked out of place to me), the kissing scene (damn I need a man like that), the ending, the music, oh just everything, got really sucked into this ep, have to watch it again..and again...and again...:Dgave it a 9 (just in case there's an even better one coming)

• Like 1

awesome! just LOVED it! everything... especially Sonny walking around the city (he really looked out of place to me)' date=' the kissing scene (damn I need a man like that), the ending, the music, oh just everything, got really sucked into this ep, have to watch it again..and again...and again...:Dgave it a 9 (just in case there's an even better one coming)[/quote']Oh yes Sonny's Girl, this eppy has a very high replay value.Love it...Love It...LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT! :happy:

awesome! just LOVED it! everything... especially Sonny walking around the city (he really looked out of place to me)' date=' [/quote'] :clap:

• 4 months later...

One of the flashiest, most fashionable and stylish episodes of VICE!!!:happy::clap:Everybody notices that the show has a great budget at disposal and therefore it is in full cry - fantastic!!!:happy::glossy:The speed of Prodigal Son is enormous, happenings come thick and fast!:clap:The teaser aleady promises an episode which is in top form: Sonny and Rico reside in Columbian outback and have to watch when a man is tortured and shot - very controversy!:thumbsup:Then straight from Columbia, it goes into the Glades where the VICE team and the DEA try to arrest some dealers. A shoot-out starts, a boat explodes and a dealer escapes - cool action (Sonny with a M16)!The plot goes on with a brutal scenario at the party when Gina is shot in an extremely stylish appartement. Due to this incident Sonny and Rico undertake the undercover-job in New York.:glossy:I love each scene which is filmed in N.Y. because - although it isn't in Miami - locations are extravagant and perfectly chosen.:happy:Almost each scene has one or two songs, wonderful interior design and awesome and innovative fashion. Sonny's suits are brilliant, especially the pastel-blue exemplar, combined with a pale pink shirt!:clap: But also Rico is dressed wonderfully with his grey dark blue suits. Concerning the style and design, Prodigal Son excels itself: each wallpaint, interior light and furniture harmonizes with each location and place. These bright, architecturally first class apartments (for example Margaret's or Sacco's flat) or Borges' rooms!!!) are eye-candy...Besides there is a lot of hard and abundant action. Starting with the shootout in the glades to the assault at the party to the shootout in Borges' flat and at the WTC plaza.:cool:I think VICE tries to stage shootouts very realistic because all guns sound differently.Plot features many turns, for example I would have never counted on it that Margaret is set on Sonny.:oThe big surprise is that a Wall Street adress is the backer of the whole story. Conversation between Sonny and Rico and Mr. Johnston is absolutely cool. One more time it is shown that VICE is on climax of its popularity because with Julian Beck it achieves a first prize. Despite heavy disease the founder of The Living Theatre plays in VICE!:glossy:And in his role he makes it plain to Sonny and Rico that they are only two little grains of sand in our big capitalist world...Prodigal Son's music is excellent: first of all You Belong To The City by Glenn Frey is world class.:radio: But also Pride by U2, Windswept by Bryan Ferry, Goodbye Girl by Go West, The Pleasure Seekers by The System, Carribean Queen by Billy Ocean and of course Take Me Home by Phil Collins are wonderful!!!:radio:All in all Prodigal Son is a milestone in TV- and filmworld!!!:happy:100 points!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

"Take me Home" just played on Pandora, and I started feeling the pull. I think I'll be watching this episode (for what has to be the 20-something time) again soon. I just never get tired of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Love this episode. Vice had to make a trip to NYC at some point since it's Tubbs' hometown and they did a fantastic job with the second season opener.There is nothing I don't like about the story and its execution. NY looked great. Nice to see Valerie again. (Still don't understand why she and Tubbs never settled down.)The shootouts were great, the drug dealers appropriately scummy. My one and only little issue with the epi is that they cast Sonny's former partner from Brother's Keeper as the DEA agent in charge. I don't remember at the time, but people must have recognized him being recycled. I like the actor, but it was distracting to see him again when he was supposed to be in jail.

• 6 months later...

This really is one of the very best that Miami Vice has to offer. There's not so much Miami in this episode, but that doesn't keep this episode from entering Top 3 of my favourite episodes of all time. Even though the first part of this episode is a bit out of control (jumping from one place to another) it doesn't make me like it any less. This really is Miami Vice goes to NY, but like some of you have said it was just a matter of when (when it comes to entering to Tubbs' home turf).Soundtrack is really one of the best in any episode. Especially You Belong to the City is one of my all time favourite tracks. And not just in Miami Vice. Almost everything in this episode is perfect. So, needless to say: 10/10

My one and only little issue with the epi is that they cast Sonny's former partner from Brother's Keeper as the DEA agent in charge.

That's just how the series was done. The closest example of this is Luis Guzman who is first seen here and also later appears in the series (not mention the obvious John Santucci situtation in the first season).

• 7 months later...

This episode is just stunning!Its been awhile since I seen it on Centric but I can still recall it as a top notch sega.As I was watching it I was forgetting I was watching a TV show because it is so cinematic.We take a step from the familiar and exotic Miami to the busy Big Apple.Great scenes like Crockett taking down a helicopter,night stakeout on a drug activity,to the infamous You Belong to the City scene.Good episode that could hold its own as a movie!I give it a 10/10!

• 3 months later...

not want practically the whole episode to take place there! :rolleyes: This is my opinion, but New York is crowded, dirty, crammed together, and with no color--and tons of TV shows have used that city as the normal location. A part at the beginning would have been enough and then they could've returned to Miami.Also, the part where they discover Gina and other officers shot--I thought it was really goofy and very "Charlie's Angels"-like when Trudy got her gun out but continued to hold onto her fancy teal purse! :) In reality she'd of dropped that thing immediately and wouldn't have thought twice about it.Then half the time in New York you couldn't quite tell what was going on and to whom it was coming from or intended for?? It was confusing a lot of the time. :confused: Then Crockett decides to "solo" it all over a strange city he doesn't know (yet he of course finds his way around with no problem) and ends up at some party where he meets some strange lady--that he lets her take advantage of him and she steals his gun, no less! :eek: That was stupid and just didn't seem like Crockett--not that he didn't like the ladies...but putting himself in that situation in a strange place where he didn't know anyone or anything was just dumb! Then Tubbs runs around whining about and chasing his "whacked" out old girlfriend Valerie--who seems to have gone off the deep end.Then enter the scary-as-he** looking, evil ghost-minister from "Poltergeist II", bank manager (Julian Beck)--what was up with that "troll" and his water?? :p He practically looked like he might get-it-on with his little glass of water while babbling about some figures and drug lords to Crockett and Tubbs. :) Whatever!! :sick: I think he thought he was still on the "Poltergeist" set...as he should have probably guest-starred in "Tale of the Goat" instead! ;) He would have fit in much better in that episode.Overall I just thought for a 2hr premiere it should have been better...it was just too weird and bizarre. Most of it left me asking...huh?? :radar: Maybe I'm being too harsh here...but I gave it a 4.

This was my original review and rating...not much has changed with my thoughts. Still love the "NY Theme", Julian Beck (ol' evil "Poltergeist II" dude himself) still cracks me up...and freaks me out just as much as in "P-II" :) , and I really liked Gene Simmons' cameo at the beginning! But, other than those few aspects I really did not like nor care for this one much. What I originally stated in the "quote" above pretty much sums this one up for me. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wondered what the title "The Prodigal Son" referred to about this episode. I'm familiar with the biblical story of The Prodigal Son, but I just don't get the connection to this particular episode's storyline. Is "the prodigal son" referring to Rico, who's returning home to NY? Is it referring to the political situation being explained by Julian Beck's character? Just curious.

• Like 1

I've always wondered what the title "The Prodigal Son" referred to about this episode. I'm familiar with the biblical story of The Prodigal Son' date=' but I just don't get the connection to this particular episode's storyline. Is "the prodigal son" referring to Rico, who's returning home to NY? Is it referring to the political situation being explained by Julian Beck's character? Just curious.[/quote']Awesome question, MVfan...and one I've always wondered myself but for some reason continually forget to ask! :)I have always wondered what the title referred to as well...and I'm a Christian so I too am very familiar with the Biblical story of the "Prodigal Son". But, like you, I really do not get the connection with that and this "MV" episode?? :confused: And, Rico found NY wasn't "home" at all anymore either...as he wasn't anymore welcome than Crockett. The episode also didn't really just focus on Rico going back to NYC either...it had all kinds of plot angles for all of them. So, if the title is referring to Tubbs returning to NYC...that's pretty weak. :rolleyes:Going along with that, even though it was the 2hr premiere for the season--along with a bizarre title, it's also not one of my more favorite episodes to season 2.

It refers to Rico returning home to NY. That's all.It also might help to consider what a big deal it was back in the old days of TV when a show would film "on location" elsewhere. Heck, this is why they went to the trouble of having Jan record a "New York Theme" and mentioned the NYC setting heavily in promos for the show. So the title is also a nod to the fact that Miami Vice would be taking place in New York City.

Miami Vice would be taking place in New York City.

Yeah, that's true. I just wish they had done an episode dealing more with Rico returning "home" to NY. It really wasn't about that, that much. :rolleyes: The case should have been more personal with Tubbs...say something out of his NYC past. Again, the episode was fairly "weak" for what the title suggests. I like Jan Hammer's NY Theme, but for all the promotion they did, I was not really impressed by the episode itself--just couldn't quite come together for me. By no means a terrible episode...but still not one of my favorites.

I appreciate the input. It's always interesting to me to get others' perspectives on the show! This is one of my favorite episodes (it's one that I've watched the most).

I appreciate the input. It's always interesting to me to get others' perspectives on the show! This is one of my favorite episodes (it's one that I've watched the most).

This thread bump has put me in the mood to watch it yet again. I just find it endlessly entertaining. Great television.

Best suit Crockett wore was in Prodigal Son.

Although I may not particularly care for this episode in general...I usually loved most of the clothes the "boys" wore--wish I had their wardrobe now! :) Anyway, which suit are you referring to? I also liked a lot of Crockett's suits and clothes in "Payback". He had on an aqua colored linen jacket, a pink V-neck shirt on underneath it, and the white pants. To me, that was the ultimate "MV" color scheme right there! :thumbsup: