The "other" Sonny Crockett

Frey

On another 80's cop show, there was a recurring character (4 episodes pre-vice) named Sonny Crockett. Name the show and the actor who played him.Hint: The t.v. show has other Miami Vice connections

• Administrators

I found it, but I had to look it up so I won't post it.I never watched that show. It was a little before my time to get into.No doubt that's were he got the name for MV.Good trivia.

I found it' date=' but I had to look it up so I won't post it.I never watched that show. It was a little before my time to get into.No doubt that's were he got the name for MV.Good trivia.[/quote']I never watched the show either. I was looking for something else about MV and found this little piece of trivia by accident.

• Administrators

Don't know the actor's name but "Hill Street Blues" had a biker character named Sonny Crockett.

Don't know the actor's name but "Hill Street Blues" had a biker character named Sonny Crockett.

Dennis Burkley. Well done! :clap:

• 11 months later...

Wow! That's crazy. Another Sonny Crockett. And if I got this right, OUR Sonny was not even the first one... :confused:Was that "Hill Street Blues" show popular? And what was Sonny character like? Was he a cop too? Oh, I guess not, if he was a biker... Was he a good or a bad guy, then?

• Administrators

I personally never watched Hill Street Blues. Could never really get into it as it was a little before my time.You're more than welcome to resurrect any thread on the board. That's what they're here for.

I forgot to reply on this thread earlier on. We have or had these re-runs of Hill Street Blues going on here in Finland and I also bumbed into this Sonny Crockett guy :) I was speechless! But I totally forget about it 'till now :p

• Administrators

"Hill Street Blues" was a classic. A cop show ahead of it's time. I guess you could call it the 80's answer to "N.Y.P.D. Blue"and yes Sonny Crockett the biker was a bad guy!

Thank you, Ferrariman! I never watched "N.Y.P.D.Blue" as well, so I can't compare... But it must be awfully funny to see another Sonny Crocket... and even more funnier to see him as a bad guy! :D I wonder why the "MV" creators named our Sonny with the same name - on purpose or just because they didn't see "Hill Street Blues"... LOL I may be wrong, of course, but it seems to me that "Sonny" and "Crockett" are far from being most common names in the US... :confused:

• Administrators

I'm sure the creators of Vice never even saw the other Sonny Crockett. He was in one or two eps of "Hill Street" at best. Not a recurring role like Izzy or Noogie.

I'm sure the creators of Vice never even saw the other Sonny Crockett. He was in one or two eps of "Hill Street" at best. Not a recurring role like Izzy or Noogie.

I disagree. Anthony Yerkovich did HILL STREET BLUES, and WROTE the pilot to MIAMI VICE. He'd know.PMT was also on the show before. I think another cast member, possible Olivia Brown guest on it.Yerkovich knew. They cast members may not have.

Sonny was a nickname for Italians named Salvatore.The Godfather brought it into prominence.The theme song from Hill Street Blues is still popular. I hear it sometimes on the radio. :radio:

The nick name SonnyTony is right about Sonny from the God Father, but I was born in 1953, and I have a cousin named Sonny (Mathews) who's at least 10 years older than me. In his case it was used because they didn't want to call him Jr. and even though he was named for my Uncle Leroy who was his father. They thought it would be confusing to call him Leroy or Leo so his name was Sonny. As for MV nameing their Senior Detective/hero Crockett, I just assumed they wanted a good old American hero name like Davey Crockett but instead we got Sonny Crockett. The name certainly sounded like he was born in the country or South to me. I never made the connection to Hill Stree Blues, and I even watched a few episodes, since I've always been into Cop shows.:o

"Hill Street Blues" was a classic. A cop show ahead of it's time. I guess you could call it the 80's answer to "N.Y.P.D. Blue"

Definitely. IMO the only show that can even come close to Vice in terms of revolutionizing TV.There's more than just the Sonny Crockett connection between the two shows. Obviously Yerkovich, but Edward James Olmos and Martin Ferrero also had guest spots, and years later, after HSB had ended, Kiel Martin guested in the ill-fated "Leap of Faith" (a reverse connection, you could say).There's probably more than that, too. I've considered posting clips of the 'original' Crockett, as well as Olmos' and Ferrero's appearances, but figured they weren't worth the trouble.

Lar, why have you said "Leap of Faith" was ill-fated?:confused:Is it an "unaired" episode? Yes, I know there are things one should remember... :D But I've forgotten...:o

• Administrators

No unfortunately it was aired. Most fans wish it never did!