Episode 26 - The Dutch Oven

miamijimf

And more background awnings ( in particular the white one with small rectangular design ) seen behind Trudy in the far background of the shot

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0463.PNG

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Jeremy said on his site he was 95% sure it was shot on the south side of the street on 96th St in Bay Harbour Islands - and he needed to visit in person to confirm . After seeing this location today I can now confirm the camera was located at 1150 96th street - the ultra zoom really threw me at first and spent a while checking it all out and it matched up competely 

• Like 3

On 16/01/2017 at 6:03 AM, airtommy said:

Excellent work!  The zoom in some of these shots we are studying never fails to amaze me.

Thankyou - working out the exact location of the camera was fun !:D:done:

• 9 months later...

After the above shots on 96th St on the Bay Harbor Islands - Trudy continued her walk behind the Carillion in North Beach on the beach(from February 2017):hippie: 

8A631DCD-D1A0-4CF2-9A8E-2E48BFE018D2.jpeg

8EEBEDF6-4190-4B48-8375-BE999B0AA228.jpeg

The Carillion wasn’t seen in “Dutch Oven” but only the beach behind the hotel was  ( This hotel was seen in “One Eyed Jack” and “Buddies”). These pictures I took in February this year :hippie:

4D26EAC2-F7DC-4DE3-A6BD-C81CF7890CF3.jpeg

A1ACF06D-703E-4E3F-943C-B0AD1D0BFDB0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

While Crockett is in the internal affairs interrogation room with Trudy, he tells Gallo he “doesn’t set on his fat rump like you alpha hotels.”

I never thought about this, but by the phonetic alphabet, “alpha hotel” is “A-H”.

Was Crockett calling them A-holes in a TV-friendly way? :) 

After all, he had given Stan 8 birds at once just a couple of episodes back in front of millions of viewers.  :) :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes he was calling them A-holes in an unfriendly way. The military phonetic alphabet goes: alpha bravo charlie delta echo foxtrot golf hotel etc.  It is used mainly in radio communication to avoid misunderstandings because voice transmissions are not always perfectly clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/6/2018 at 4:52 PM, miamijimf said:

Yes he was calling them A-holes in an unfriendly way. The military phonetic alphabet goes: alpha bravo charlie delta echo foxtrot golf hotel etc.  It is used mainly in radio communication to avoid misunderstandings because voice transmissions are not always perfectly clear.

Interesting Jim - I also caught this episode a night or two ago @Dadrian - clever writing there from Maurice Hurley. As well as the great line used by Sonny “I’m not about to give you 100 thousand dead presidents!” in this fine 1985 episode.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Am 9.12.2018 um 17:54 schrieb Matt5:

Interesting Jim - I also caught this episode a night or two ago @Dadrian - clever writing there from Maurice Hurley. As well as the great line used by Sonny “I’m not about to give you 100 thousand dead presidents!” in this fine 1985 episode.

Agree. Even today 30 years after I am still baffled how authentic (correct street slang), funny (ironic, rare expressions) and compact (few words, lots of message) the lines in MV episodes were throughout the whole series. Even more interesting since the writers were from LA and far off Miami  location.

Yes the script writers were excellent.  One of their best and most graphic lines is “McGregor canal bobbing with a mouthful of lead.”  Sonny in Lend Me An Ear.   I still use the phonetic alphabet to spell out words when the cell phone connection isn't clear.  Cell phones and military radios are not like using Bell South land lines.  Hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Yes the script writers were excellent.  One of their best and most graphic lines is “McGregor canal bobbing with a mouthful of lead.”  Sonny in Lend Me An Ear.   I still use the phonetic alphabet to spell out words when the cell phone connection isn't clear.  Cell phones and military radios are not like using Bell South land lines.  Hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

:xmas:Best to you Jim and everyone here, Happy and Prosperous New Year.:xmas:

• 1 year later...

This is what's happening to the nightclub named Dynamo.in Season Two’s Dutch Oven, a massive reconstruction but the exterior will remain the same.  It was apparently the Beach Toggery Shop (beach clothing) first before it was the the Paddock Club, a bar and burlesque house.  It was then Friedman’s Bakery and recently Mandolo’s Restaurant.  Not sure what its next evolution will be.  This was the first building on Miami Beach to be painted with pastel colors.  It started the trend. 

Capture.JPG.9032e6b0f674b5bbd2c45ffed5485c36.JPG

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, miamijimf said:

This is what's happening to the nightclub named Dynamo.in Season Two’s Dutch Oven, a massive reconstruction but the exterior will remain the same.  It was apparently the Beach Toggery Shop (beach clothing) first before it was the the Paddock Club, a bar and burlesque house.  It was then Friedman’s Bakery and recently Mandolo’s Restaurant.  Not sure what its next evolution will be.  This was the first building on Miami Beach to be painted with pastel colors.  It started the trend. 

Capture.JPG.9032e6b0f674b5bbd2c45ffed5485c36.JPG

I saw this recently it’s a real mess on that block but they are going to keep the facade which is good news. Sad news some of the Collins Court background buildings we see in the teaser of “Freefall” have gone as a result as they are only preserving the front.

• Sad 1

• 7 months later...

I was watching “The Dutch Oven” and “Buddies” the other evening. Both great episodes although I prefer “The Dutch Oven”.

Although airing next to each other, as we know “Dutch Oven” was filmed at the tail end of Season 1 in the last week of March 1985 through April 3rd and “Buddies” was filmed months later in the middle of August.

The first two pictures are from The Dutch Oven teaser and we know the locations as in front of the Fontainebleau and the second one in front of The Eden Roc looking south.

The third picture is from “Buddies” looking south but further north on Collins not picked up on Jeremy’s location page for this episode. This is not opposite the Eden Roc but further back at 4600 or 4700 block Collins ? Is the first building we see on the left of the picture The Eden Roc ref “Buddies” (pic 3).?

Pic 1 and 2 - Dutch Oven teaser

C4197DFF-B8B4-4491-8CD4-E084FE5D2C33.jpeg

69A7D347-A177-4AAF-9ADD-A115EF706106.jpeg

“Buddies” end chase below

AEBC1F8C-22CD-4BD5-9BCA-D08C0C693C3F.jpeg

4600 Block

36EFE9AD-86A9-4CE4-AF9C-79EB79C17F58.jpeg

4700 Block

90D14F9B-CD58-4C6B-B788-4C7A9FD779F3.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2020 at 9:06 AM, Matt5 said:

The third picture is from “Buddies” looking south but further north on Collins not picked up on Jeremy’s location page for this episode. This is not opposite the Eden Roc but further back at 4600 or 4700 block Collins ? Is the first building we see on the left of the picture The Eden Roc ref “Buddies” (pic 3).?

“Buddies” end chase below

AEBC1F8C-22CD-4BD5-9BCA-D08C0C693C3F.jpeg

4700 Block

90D14F9B-CD58-4C6B-B788-4C7A9FD779F3.jpeg

Yes, you nailed it.  It is the Eden Roc, and the Daytona is at the 4700 block traffic light (not 4600) because of the bus stop.  The bus stop hasn't moved (can be seen in the 1986 aerial).  This is another example of their powerful zoom lens making things look closer than they are.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Looks like a still of this episode or the "No exit" teaser, but it ain´t.

This is the real thing. Ocean Drive empty and run down in the early 80s. Park Central (many episodes, especially in season 3-5) and the Imperial in this episode (Crockett plays cards) on the left side of the frame.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-08 um 22.41.52.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom said:

empty and run down in the early 80s

This just might be my new status :) 

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...