When Irish Eyes Are Crying

miamijimf

OKay that is a tricky one, partly because it should have been easy but our experience and use of logic threw us a curve. The Logic that based on the the numerical address it should be near the travel agency was valid but this is a rare case where it was not sound. They tricked us. In this scene, the cut just before he turns shows Trudy at a fancy MV style map. The location she is marking on the TV map was acurate in real life. They were travelling eastbound on NW 21st Street by the airport as seen on the map. and they turn right onto NW 39 Ave as the street sign we can see states. Currently this is a Wyndham Hotel. Note the No Outlet sign. This was and still is a dead end. If we just looked at her map we would have had the answer but I must admit it took me forever to find this location even though she showed us a map and they showed us the street sign.

A nitpick: Trudy is not marking 21 St, she is marking the Dolphin Expressway (836), which is about 7-8 blocks south of 21 ST. But the 21 ST / 39 AV intersection does look right on the money.But the 3923 Alton Rd address is bothering me. At about 18:58 right near the very end of the scene, we see a curved building in the van's window. I don't see that anywhere near 3923 Alton Rd and I don't see a place where it could have been. If I recall correctly, you have this script, right? Assuming yes, then your address has to be correct. I have a theory: Switek/Zito's part of this scene was filmed at a different time and place. Notice that we never seen them in the same camera shot as the Ferrari/PacIntTrav. This building at the corner of 39 AV & Biscayne is a great candidate, but it's hard to say for sure. By the way, on Google Street View it looks vacant and possibly a candidate for demolition (???).

This building at the corner of 39 AV & Biscayne is a great candidate' date=' but it's hard to say for sure. By the way, on Google Street View it looks vacant and possibly a candidate for demolition (???).[/quote'] That of course is the building where the street walker approaches the car in the teaser of Glades. I don't know about the car but her high beams were on.
  • Haha 1

OK your eyes are still sharp. I had to pull out the Daily Production report for this one. First as I read it I learned an interesting tid bit. The driving scene at 39 Ave was delayed a day because the stunt driver Ernie Robinson blew thru a stop sign at the airport and Metro-Dade police stopped him. He did not have his license with him and was detained for 1 hour. By the time he was released the sun had gotten to low that the company wraped for the day.Now for your building. The van is parked on 43rd Street at the intersection of Collins Ave. The building is on the north side of 43rd and west of Collins.

Now for your building. The van is parked on 43rd Street at the intersection of Collins Ave. The building is on the north side of 43rd and west of Collins.

OK' date=' if by North & West you mean South & East, I see it.:D:D:DStreet View linkDays Inn Miami Beach-Oceanside4299 Collins Avenue Miami Beach, FL 33140

They were travelling eastbound on NW 21st Street by the airport as seen on the map. and they turn right onto NW 39 Ave as the street sign we can see states. Currently this is a Wyndham Hotel. Note the No Outlet sign.
I dont get it where this is. NW 39 Ave starts south of the airport and NW 21 Street is the exit street of MIA. They never cross. They only intersection that makes sense (and is near Wyndham Hotel) is NW21 Str/NW 37 Ave. not NW 39 Ave!Can you give me a Google link to see where the intersection you mean is supposed to be?

I dont get it where this is. NW 39 Ave starts south of the airport and NW 21 Street is the exit street of MIA. They never cross. They only intersection that makes sense (and is near Wyndham Hotel) is NW21 Str/NW 37 Ave. not NW 39 Ave!Can you give me a Google link to see where the intersection you mean is supposed to be?

He said they turn into 39 AV but he meant they turn into the place where 39 AV would be (or perhaps was in 1986) if it intersected 21 ST. The Wyndham's address is 3900 NW 21 ST, so this is the spot. I spent some time yesterday looking at the scene and satellite views. It does make sense that he turns right at the place where the Wyndham stands today.I'm really glad he cleared up these two location mysteries because my previous theories were bothering me. 21 ST / 42 AV looked great but the sign for 39 AV was hard to explain. And the Biscayne/39th building looked good but the scene really looked more like Miami Beach.

He said they turn into 39 AV but he meant they turn into the place where 39 AV would be (or perhaps was in 1986) if it intersected 21 ST. The Wyndham's address is 3900 NW 21 ST' date=' so this is the spot. I spent some time yesterday looking at the scene and satellite views. It does make sense that he turns right at the place where the Wyndham stands today.I'm really glad he cleared up these two location mysteries because my previous theories were bothering me. 21 ST / 42 AV looked great but the sign for 39 AV was hard to explain. And the Biscayne/39th building looked good but the scene really looked more like Miami Beach.[/quote'] Now I see it. He turned right at 3900 NW 21 but there was probably a dead end street there before they built the Wyndham. But the ramp is there and also the short grass stripe where the street sign stood in the ep. At the next intersection (NW 37 Ave/NW 21 Str) I had in mind there is no such thing because there is a big building at the corner which excludes this intersection. Great find! I know Jeremy has many production sheets of seasons 3 and later he had not revealed to us, so there is more to come!

NW 39 Ave is one of those streets that stops and starts again along the same line. If you use google earth and use the time slider you can go back as far as 1994 sat. pictures before the garage was built on the north side of 21st Street and NW 39 came all the way down.

If you use google earth and use the time slider you can go back as far as 1994 sat. pictures before the garage was built on the north side of 21st Street and NW 39 came all the way down.

Awesome! I stopped using GE several years ago and just use Google & Bing Maps on the Internet, so I didn't know about this feature.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

When Irish Eyes Are Crying is now published on my location web site; http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net :done:

Reference the beach picture you put on facebook and the view in 2011-2012 of Gina's walk - how accessible is that beach these days look overrun by vegetation . Can you get their by car ?:D

Reference the beach picture you put on facebook and the view in 2011-2012 of Gina's walk - how accessible is that beach these days look overrun by vegetation . Can you get their by car ?:D
I believe it is allot easier now than it was 10 years ago. One would have to sneak in there 10 years ago but now it appears to be a bike park with the trails open to mountain biking and the walking public. It is a moderate walk from the end of Arthur Lamb Jr. Road. A very enjoyable and pretty hike well worth the walk even if you were not a Vice fan but being a Vice fan it has several Vice filming locations ie. the end of the Daytona' date=' misssing Hours etc.[/color']

• 1 month later...

SoflaJeremy - I see you accessed the garage - can you park in their and go to the roof considering its got close proximity with the airport.?Nice locations in this episode - the church on google maps seems to have been updated considerably cant recognise the exterior scenes at all .:D

SoflaJeremy - I see you accessed the garage - can you park in their and go to the roof considering its got close proximity with the airport.?Nice locations in this episode - the church on google maps seems to have been updated considerably cant recognise the exterior scenes at all .:D

The garage is inside the airport grounds. It is the police Department Garage but I did not run into any problems though I am always aware of security cameras and their dead zones and try to operate in them as well as blending in and not attracting un-due attention. There was nothing saying access was restricted. Regarding the church. The scenes were filmed in the attached school buildings on the east side.
  • Like 1

The garage is inside the airport grounds. It is the police Department Garage but I did not run into any problems though I am always aware of security cameras and their dead zones and try to operate in them as well as blending in and not attracting un-due attention. There was nothing saying access was restricted. Regarding the church. The scenes were filmed in the attached school buildings on the east side.

Thankyou:D

I was just trying to make sense of the outside stairwell when the shooter went up the outside of the building and locate that :D

• 5 years later...

Always liked this location (Tubbs and Gina talk) at N.Meridian and W40th Street in the Alton Road area of Miami Beach - in close proximity to the church seen in this episode and the travel agents we see also. Interesting they filmed so north on Meridian as Gina's place was a distance away,  Filmed in the Summer of 1986.:hippie:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.8127512,-80.1334779,3a,75y,259.95h,80.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sT0lseZo9X0lqX5o5wre0VQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The scene with Rico and Gina ends on the south corner of W40th St snd N.Meridian Ave looking to W39th Street (school crossing sign in distance). The second photo and its clarity is from the Blu-ray release of the show.

DCB4AF7A-CF25-4AF1-816A-797EFBC39C2F.jpeg

B1AD5FF0-71DA-454B-9C08-F487007B2614.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4

@summer84 shows the quality of the Blu-ray release even from a screen shot. Season 3 looks real sharp on Blu-ray as cinematography and colors that season when the show was produced were much better than the previous two seasons.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Happy St. Patrick’s Day today locationers and Vicers.. This being the most linked to Ireland “Miami Vice” episode from the Summer of 1986.

• Like 2