Which Jan Hammer CD to get?

NiceGuy

So which one of Jan Hammers Miami Vice CD to get, I've seen three different ones and was wondering which one? Do the three overlap much?

So which one of Jan Hammers Miami Vice CD to get' date=' I've seen three different ones and was wondering which one? Do the three overlap much?[/quote']The MV Complete Collection (2 CDs) is my favorite as it has many cuts from the episodes but is now out of print. I picked mine up in 06 on Ebay. Amazon has some but pretty high-priced.

• Administrators

I agree, The "Complete Collection" is the way to go. Disc 1 contains every tune from the "Escape From Television" album plus the few tunes that were included on the 3 MV soundtracks. Disc 2 is all previously unreleased music. It pretty much covers everything that's out there. We'll just have to count on Dadrian to fill the gaps! ;)

F-Man I know you are in the know with Jan Hammer on his site....do you know if he will ever be able to release any other tracks, such as on Definitely Miami or Phil the Shill which have some great tunes as yet unreleased?

• Administrators

It took a lot of e-mails to his site to get Jan to finally release the "CC" I e-mailed his manager Elliot Sears a while back asking about the possibility of more. He said that the "CC" was far from a financial success for Jan because it targeted a very small fan base. That plus clearance problems with Universal (who own his cues from the show) makes me highly doubt that he will ever release another album. In his interview with jan-hammer .net he said that possibly a few cues would be available for download off of his official website but it's been a few years since and that hasn't happened either. All I can suggest is what I've been saying for years, keep e-mailing his website with requests for more music, you just never know. http://www.janhammer.com/

Guest The Talk

There ist another CD from Jan Hammer:The best of Miami Vice.It contains 15 tunes in total2 tunes from Complete Collection side one14 tunes from CC side twoand the tune 'South Beach' (it's a bonus track especially for this CD)

The Complete Collection is the only way to go. By FAR the best cd.There is other unreleased music out there, and I had some posted from my personal collection a few years back at WWW.JAN-HAMMER.NET for all to hear for free under the user name STEVEN-SPIELBERG.-Coop

• Administrators

There ist another CD from Jan Hammer:The best of Miami Vice.It contains 15 tunes in total2 tunes from Complete Collection side one14 tunes from CC side twoand the tune 'South Beach' (it's a bonus track especially for this CD)

Another great album! For those not familiar, "South Beach" was recorded during the Vice era but never used in an episode.

Hi,you are all right that the CC ist the best ever from JH.Bit i have a question:do you like the CDs Snapshots and the first seven days too?I bought last month Snapshots and i like it very much. how is the first seven days?

• Administrators

The First Seven Days was a groundbreaking album for it's time. If you're a Jan Hammer fan I would highly recommend it but if you're looking for more music in the style of Miami Vice this album doesn't have it. The music is recognizable as Jan Hammer but a far cry from his Vice cues.

• 4 weeks later...

Jan HammerHi,during the last 15 years I have bought all CDs of Jan Hammer.The Complete Collection is definitely a must for MV fans but I appreciate others gems from this composer. Snapshots is top notch, The First Seven Day's and Beyond the Minds Eye contain great music as well show clearly the direction he will go during his golden/pastel years. Oh Yeah! is quite different being more jazz-rock, nowadays a classic and great album but not easy listening at first, if you are used to MV tunes. I can only recommend to buy them all :)

i agree, CC is the best out there, as it incorporates EFT plus a few others on disc 1, and disc 2 is just awesome with unreleased cues. Likewise, I rely on dadrian and Rick Leon to fill in the gaps.I bought the signed version of CC from Jan's site just after it was released, and I am NEVER giving that up for anything.That guy is just amazing in front of some keyboards.I own EFT (the first album of Jan's I bought), Snapshots and Snapshots 1.2 (just for the extra/remixed tracks), BTME, Drive, MVCC and The Best of MV, again just for the 3 new tracks!!

• 1 year later...

I e-mailed his manager Elliot Sears a while back asking about the possibility of more. He said that the "CC" was far from a financial success for Jan because it targeted a very small fan base.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:That's so frustrating it's hard to express in words. How can someone complain about not making enough profit if they didn't manufacture enough of the item, especially since manufacturing is a tiny portion of the total production cost?!?!?!?!The high price of used copies proves that there is demand for this item. Just crank up the production line and print a few more!!!