Stinger&KV: Everything you want to know

cigarette

Alright, In an effort to stop all the "Stinger or Scarab?" threads, I am going to request Ferarriman, that you make this thread a sticky. I have all the information about these boats that anyone couldever want. I'll be referring to my sales brochures for the the specs.I'm going to go in order of season so here goes:Pilot episode boat: 1983 Murray - Chris Craft Stinger 390XWeight: 9,600 lbs. dry (dry means no gas in the fuel tanks)LOA (length over all) : 39 feetBeam (that means how wide the boat is) : 9 feetPower: Twin (Mercury Marine) Mercruiser 454 cubic inch displacement (or C.I.D.) big block General Motors V8 engines making 330 horsepower while the engines are operating at4500 Revolutions Per Minute (or RPM).Means of propulsion: Twin (Mercury Marine) TRS stern drives with Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmissions.Building Material: Fiberglass, resin, wood, steelMaximum speed: 53 Miles Per Hour.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Boat used in the rest of season 1: 1984 Murray - Chris Craft Stinger 390XRefer to the details above for the specs. Both Stingers were setup identically, they just looked different.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Boat used in the second Season: Wellcraft Scarab 38 KVWeight: 10,000 lbs dryLOA: 38 feetBeam: 8 feetPower: Twin High Performance Mercury Mercuiser V8 engines that made 420 horsepower while the engines ran at 5000 RPM.Means of propulsion: Twin Mercury Mercuiser TRS sterndrives with Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions. Maximum Speed: 64 Miles per hourNow for the big question: Did Wellcraft Marine really give Don Johnson a Scarab like the one he drove in the show?The answer is yes.This is what is looks like at present time: I hope this answers anyones questions about the boats. If I missed something or I didn't include something that you would like to know, by all means, ask away. But, please post your questions here instead of starting a new thread. -Dustin IP Logged prickleferret Vice Squad Lieutenant Joined: 02 August 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 6799 Posted: 07 January 2007 at 9:30am WOW!! DAMN DJdude!! great info on these two legends. and damn!!!! that last pic of the Scarab is SOOOOO DAMN SEXY!!! i want to do a chick on that boat!!! LOL!! your stats on the boats seem to show that the Scarab was more powerful than the Stingers. this is of no surprise to me. DJdude, thank you very much for posting the stats for these legendary boats. i bet you and srobak could get together and talk about boats all night!! MV rules!!! SONS AND LOVERS-Tubbs-"is Castillo burned about the backup?" Sonny-"you can't blame him, he almost lost one of his best cops." Tubbs-"yeah, not to mention, you." IP Logged DJdude Officer Joined: 05 May 2004 Online Status: Offline Posts: 179 Posted: 07 January 2007 at 11:31pm Was thinking of you when I posted this, PF. Yes the Scarab was equipped with more powerful engines. At the time the engine was simply called a Mercuiser HP 420. I think srobak knows more about boats than I do (yes I'll bet we could go on and on about boats), but I am learning quite a lot from studying various documentation. I have been in a KV, and while the cockpit is a tad on the smaller side, I still see it as one of the finest powerboats ever made. Larry Smith really had a winner with this design.Glad you liked it. I hope this will help clean up the boat questions threads that keep popping up. -Dustin IP Logged 512Testarossa Trainee Joined: 01 May 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 19 Posted: 08 January 2007 at 5:48am I have lots of boating mags, brochures, ads, from back then and I have a Boating magazine with the MV 38 Scarab KV on the cover, anchored in the Bahamas. Inside the cover it says, Don Johnsons Scarab KV anchored off Cat Cay. There is a bikini clad woman laying out on the deck. I would assume this to be this boat. I could scan the pic and send it to someone to post up since I dont know how. Also, I have several Wellcraft ads from the 80s advertising the 38 KV in the MV color scheme with the artistic backdrops added for effect. Very cool ads that I could scan as well. I also have some Wellcraft brochures from then showing the 38 KVs in diff colors and it says MV color scheme an option. Its gives the engine, color options etc. Cool stuff! Later! IP Logged prickleferret Vice Squad Lieutenant Joined: 02 August 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 6799 Posted: 08 January 2007 at 7:09am well i hope you end up posting these pics 512Testarossa!!! i can't wait to see them. a big thanks to Fman for making this a sticky thread. and cmon folks, look at how beautiful that last shot of the Scarab looks! that is art right there! SONS AND LOVERS-Tubbs-"is Castillo burned about the backup?" Sonny-"you can't blame him, he almost lost one of his best cops." Tubbs-"yeah, not to mention, you." IP Logged DJdude Officer Joined: 05 May 2004 Online Status: Offline Posts: 179 Posted: 08 January 2007 at 12:59pm Originally posted by 512TestarossaI have lots of boating mags, brochures, ads, from back then and I have a Boating magazine with the MV 38 Scarab KV on the cover, anchored in the Bahamas. Inside the cover it says, Don Johnsons Scarab KV anchored off Cat Cay. There is a bikini clad woman laying out on the deck. I would assume this to be this boat. I could scan the pic and send it to someone to post up since I dont know how. Also, I have several Wellcraft ads from the 80s advertising the 38 KV in the MV color scheme with the artistic backdrops added for effect. Very cool ads that I could scan as well. I also have some Wellcraft brochures from then showing the 38 KVs in diff colors and it says MV color scheme an option. Its gives the engine, color options etc. Cool stuff! Later! We would very much appreciate you taking the time to scan that magazine, and the ads. I remember I had some great KV ads, but they've since been lost. I would be more than happy to post the pictures for you. I'll PM you my email address -Dustin IP Logged 512Testarossa Trainee Joined: 01 May 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 19 Posted: 09 January 2007 at 12:50am Dustin, Cool! Let me dig that stuff out and I'll get it scanned in the next day or two and send the pics to your email addie. I also have a brochure of the 42 Endeavour that I can send as well, I forgot about that one. I went to the Ft. Lauderdale boat show in Oct 89 and got lots of goodies. Our family was into boating then and I was hooked on it since 1986 when my dad bought our first cruiser. Thanks for offering to post the pics! Later!Shawn IP Logged prickleferret Vice Squad Lieutenant Joined: 02 August 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 6799 Posted: 09 January 2007 at 5:09am i can't wait 512Testarossa!!! SONS AND LOVERS-Tubbs-"is Castillo burned about the backup?" Sonny-"you can't blame him, he almost lost one of his best cops." Tubbs-"yeah, not to mention, you." IP Logged DJdude Officer Joined: 05 May 2004 Online Status: Offline Posts: 179 Posted: 09 January 2007 at 9:14am I'm pretty excited myself. I haven't seen any of my old ads in years. Just found one old Scarab ad in the loft today of all places. It was torn to shreds by mice I'm sure. It was covered in a think layer of mice droppings and other bits of junk they collect. I threw it away. As soon as I receive these pictures, I'm going straight to the pharmacy, and having them make me some blow-ups. I'm sick of loosing my stuff to those rodents. Most of my small MV collection, ruined. Good thing they didn't get my seasons 1-5 LaserDisc collecters set. That is arguably the most valuable piece of Vice-history that I own, and I'm down to about 4 items. The quality is so much better than the DVD's too. -Dustin IP Logged DJdude Officer Joined: 05 May 2004 Online Status: Offline Posts: 179 Posted: 10 January 2007 at 1:11am These should hold you over untill I get the goodies from 512, PF. -Dustin IP Logged prickleferret Vice Squad Lieutenant Joined: 02 August 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 6799 Posted: 10 January 2007 at 6:51am Originally posted by DJdudeThese should hold you over untill I get the goodies from 512, PF. YEAH DJdude!!! that last Scarab is awesome! i like how the radar wing is swept forward. very cool. nice cabin too. thanks for the photos!!! i get chills when i see boats like this even though i don't know anything about the technical aspects of them. they just look so hot!! SONS AND LOVERS-Tubbs-"is Castillo burned about the backup?" Sonny-"you can't blame him, he almost lost one of his best cops." Tubbs-"yeah, not to mention, you." IP Logged DJdude Officer Joined: 05 May 2004 Online Status: Offline Posts: 179 Posted: 10 January 2007 at 3:28pm Crocketssun: I have most of my picture collection from when the internet was first becoming availible. I've got the scans from 512, and am going to upload them after I get home from school. I was able to get two uplaoded so far:Lets give a big thank you to 512 for doing this. I thought I'd never see these pictures again. Thank you Shawn!!!! -Dustin IP Logged prickleferret Vice Squad Lieutenant Joined: 02 August 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 6799 Posted: 11 January 2007 at 3:32am oh man!! great stuff guys. thank you 512 and DJdude for sharing and posting these. all i know is that i want a Scarab dammit!!! SONS AND LOVERS-Tubbs-"is Castillo burned about the backup?" Sonny-"you can't blame him, he almost lost one of his best cops." Tubbs-"yeah, not to mention, you." IP Logged DJdude Officer Joined: 05 May 2004 Online Status: Offline Posts: 179 Posted: 11 January 2007 at 5:54am Here we go: DJ's personal boat when it was new! Note the slightly different paint scheme. This boat was used in the later seasons, I think. S4 if I'm not mistaken?and this one: -Dustin IP Logged prickleferret Vice Squad Lieutenant Joined: 02 August 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 6799 Posted: 11 January 2007 at 6:03am Originally posted by DJdudeHere we go: DJ's personal boat when it was new! Note the slightly different paint scheme. This boat was used in the later seasons, I think. S4 if I'm not mistaken?and this one: OH MAN!!! the first Scarab in this photo is one of the hottest boats i have ever seen. the colors are evil, sexy, and spectacular all at once!! what a boat!! thanks once again DJdude! notice how the radar wing on this first one is darker and painted in that awesome and colorful metallic, fading to another color scheme style. i love it!! SONS AND LOVERS-Tubbs-"is Castillo burned about the backup?" Sonny-"you can't blame him, he almost lost one of his best cops." Tubbs-"yeah, not to mention, you." IP Logged DJdude Officer Joined: 05 May 2004 Online Status: Offline Posts: 179 Posted: 11 January 2007 at 6:20am I think we really have something here with this thread. I need to get a KV. But have you ever seen a 46 foot KV? Legend has it that only 3 or so were made. I'd much rather have the 46 with the MV paint scheme.http://web.archive.org/web/20051216165552/http://www.perfmarine.net/boats/200402-15.htm -Dustin IP Logged prickleferret Vice Squad Lieutenant Joined: 02 August 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 6799 Posted: 11 January 2007 at 7:37am hey DJdude, the pics at that link won't come up here. SONS AND LOVERS-Tubbs-"is Castillo burned about the backup?" Sonny-"you can't blame him, he almost lost one of his best cops." Tubbs-"yeah, not to mention, you." IP Logged simking Officer Joined: 06 September 2006 Online Status: Offline Posts: 70 Posted: 11 January 2007 at 9:06am I thought Dj's persnal boat had the same paint as the show when it was new?when was it repainted to look like the one on tv or was that done after he sold it? "My badge says Miami,but lately its looking a lot like disney world". IP Logged DJdude Officer Joined: 05 May 2004 Online Status: Offline Posts: 179 Posted: 11 January 2007 at 4:25pm Thats weird PF, they work fine for me. are you using Internet Explorer? If so, try using firefox.simking: DJ's personal boat was painted just as you see it on the cover of the magazine. Later, it was repainted a lighter shade of blue after he sold it. -Dustin IP Logged DJdude Officer Joined: 05 May 2004 Online Status: Offline Posts: 179 Posted: 12 January 2007 at 10:14pm I agree the KV has all the right lines. Glad everyone is enjoying the pictures. I love all boats, but I will say the KV is my favorite. Even with stock power you could get it to go about 65 MPH. Thats really fast on the water, and still enough to give you a thrill. If not a KV, than the 43 foot Scarab Excel Don Jonhson special edition. With 2 650 horsepower Lamborghini engines. -Dustin

• 4 months later...

PHOTOS!!!Photos please........PHOTOSHey Cigarrette...if you need some pics, I have MANY on my own hardrive that I have saved over the years. If you need them let me know, just incase you can't get the originals back on line.