Exklusive Interview Jim Zubiena - English

KaeptnCaipi

• Administrators

Hi Mr. Zubiena, can you tell us about your person?

My name is Jim Zubiena..... from the 3rd. episode, season 1. "Calderone's Demise". I would like to finally clear up a simple point . I have been an actor since I was 12 yrs. old. I am pensioned in Screen Actors guild and Actor's Equity. You don't get a pension unless you work a lot over an extended period of time. About 10 years in each union is the base minimum. I choose, in my spare time, which I had a bunch of, to practice, practice, practice for competitions in the SWPL. I did well and was soon getting sponsorship help from various companies like Pachmyr, Aimpoint, Pistol Dynamics, Cannon safe Co., Blocker holsters and ISI shooting school to compete in Natl. and Worlds IPSC, Bianchi Cup, Steel Challenge, etc. I never stopped working as a professional actor-singer during that time. The Whitehorse Band is the name of the C/W group I have when playing gigs around So. Ca.I have always appreciated the positive response to the 'Calderone's Demise” episode. It was a moment that has made me many friends over the years. I have been told of many police depts. around the country using that section for training purposes. Even at Quantico in the Sky Marshall's training division. That surprised me... but I must admit gave me a feeling of pride.

What was your opinion about Miami Vice?

I probably enjoyed the show a little MORE than most folks as I felt a close tie to the people. I had worked with Don J. and PMT for a week here in So ca. at my range, training with live ammo on various shooting senarios in a very structured and safe environment. Being a musician I also appreciated the music a great deal. So let's see..... I'm a car buff... love to shoot for recreation... musician... Yeah. Vice was my cup of tea during that time period. It also was the first TV show to use what I would consider proper firearm technique. Granted I had something to do with that but not if M.Mann hadn't insisted on the show having that 'state of the art look'.1. The 'Mozambique' was performed because of the " let's be certain he's dead" idea..... plus it was relatively unknown by the general audience at the time. 2. This episode transpired way before the DNA, forensic brilliance, etc. so the prints and DNA in the gloves where not relative at the time. 3. The unloading and dumping of the gun was to separate the character from the action. As soon as he walked away he could be just another employee. Unloading the gun first was to insure that no one picked it up and tried to use it on him as he walked away. Nothing was by accident. It all was thought out. If you watched an episode I did on Nash Bridges 15 years later I did exactly the same thing in the San Francisco airport. I have been told by a reliable source that the fellow who drove the get-a-way car did in fact end up in jail where-in he was killed. Not a pleasant story. Side bar...... Another reason this clip went into training programs around the country was because of a coincidental airing...... One Friday night in May we, the participants in the Bianchi Cup, where congregating in the bar of the Hilton hotel in Columbia, Mo. watching our favorite new show..... Miami Vice and .... you guessed it... "my" episode. What I remember through all the weird feelings I had during the airing was at the moment I put my hands into the 'surrender' position...... the entire room said "stand by.... ready..... It was a unique moment for me to say the absolute least.

Which season/episode of Nash Bridges did you appear in?

I don't know what season the Nash Bridges appearance was but the episode was called "The Tourist" Hope that helps.

When you worked on Manhunter, did you put the actors through any kind of special training in pre-production or did you just work as an advisor on location while Mann was shooting the movie?

I trained William Peterson for his role with the technique I share and also for specific moments in the film. He was very easy to work with and made all look good throughout filming. I was on set for my scenes and most scenes that had firearms in them. During the filming I was splitting my time between Band of the Hand in Miami and Manhunter in North Carolina. Took 3 1/2 months to complete both for my part.

Back to Miami ViceThe final scene of this episode, where you are in Caroline's house with that assault rifle, did you have any issues with the way they portrayed you as a shooter in that scene? I would think that you would have preferred a pistol for that scene. I guess it probably wasn't up to you what firearm you had.

No....... The firearm was a mini-14 with a folding stock in .223 Lots of fun to shoot and makes a great flash for camera. A tidbit you all might enjoy...... During the above scene I had a misfortune that could have been reeeeeal bad but as it turned out is just an incident to learn from. The restrictor for the blanks was installed in the flash suppressor instead of in the barrel. The Director wanted to shoot a continous motion master of the entire scene from first shot to last (going through the window). That entailed firing approx. 60-80 rounds of automatic machine gunning with 2 reloads of 30 rnd mags after the initial mag. was in place. The camera was set up in front of the window with a large Lexan sheet between myself and the camera operaters. During the portion of the scene where I am in the air jumping over Ms. Montgomery (Caroline) in the doorway I was hit with something in my left shoulder near the collarbone which spun me around to the left and knocked me on my..... you know. A bit dazed 'we' asked what that was all about and realized quickly that the suppressor had expanded due to the amount of heat created by the many rounds. It slipped off of the threads and went flying at the Lexan. It proceeded to come back at me with enough force to spin and put me down. At the time I didn't freak about it but later realized it could have been bad if it had hit me just about anywhere in the head. Lesson learned ????? ALL barrel plugs are in the BARREL for the rest of time wherever I am. That's why there called "barrel plugs" UH.... Yeah !! Hope 'too much info' doesn't ruin the illusion for you. But I have an other behind the scenes info for you: The squibs that simulate the bullets hitting the wall where electrically triggered too early...... supposed to wait until Don backed out. As you see, they went off in his face. Don was wearing a very expensive watch, as always, and ..... the squib blew the glass face right off the watch. Glad he reacted quickly to the mishap. When the "cannons", set inside the black limo (1. scene) to blow the back window out, went off the accompanying concussion actually shattered a few of the very large windows of the building the "victims" came out of. YEAH... It was loud.

Do you remember if it took quite a few takes to pull the pistol out, find the trigger, and shoot the pistol so quickly. I'd think it would be hard to do it in one take.

I remember it taking about 7 takes to get it done. It was with the 2nd unit and John Niccolella as Dir. The only problem we encountered was the web of the glove getting caught on the spur of the hammer for about half of the takes. Created a real nice 'trigger jerk' for those takes. Other than that it went pretty smoothly.

In Hit List, at the end, the jumping out the window thing was awesome.Was it written that way?

The out the window bit was scripted. I've always felt the film editors let them shoot me waaaaaayyy too long before anybody hit me........

You worked with DJ an PMT for a week on a shooting range. How are their shooting skills?

M. Mann used to shoot with me at the range on occasion when he wasn't swamped.... VERY serious about his shooting. Hard to get him to just have fun.... but that's Michael. Actually, Don Johnson was very good during our sessions before filming the series and could have been respectable in any IPSC match one might put on. Learned real fast and payed close attention to detail. He enjoyed it a bunch and that was probably why he did so well. Now PMT on the other hand..... No comment.

Are you still involved with shooting?

You bet...... I put on clincs for Skeet shooting and handguns with the club I belong to here in So. Ca. and have had many great days participating with the local SASS clubs. Single Action Shooting Society. I have found it to be a lot more fun making the firearms of the late 1800's go fast instead of the 'bells and whistles' firearms I have used in the past.I have had the unpleasant experience of standing next to someone at a warm-up range during the Steel Challenge ( World Speed Shooting Championship ) many years ago when an individual, who will remain unnamed, was trying to be faster than a very good female next to him. He left the thumb safety disengaged while in the holster with LIVE ammo...... Yes, he shot himself through his right testicle and then into his left leg. A definate no-no. NEVER draw from a holster with live ammo with any safety device de-activated !!!! Enjoy and shoot safe if you frequent ranges.And that’s the story about the best killer in Miami Vice and a great actor/singer, who share his experience with his fans.

Any personal greetings for our German Miami Vice Fans, Mr. Zubiena?

Hello to all you folks who live In Germany and still have an affinity and appreciation for Miami Vice. I am pleased and somewhat surprised at the the shows ability to 'hang in there' and still be entertaining to new generations. Thank you all for your interest in my episode and I hope you have enjoyed the info presented her by Sven (Cooper). Good health to you all. Jim Zubiena

Some questions courtesy of miamivice.org! Cooper, thanks for your good work!

• Like 8