Episode #20 "Nobody Lives Forever"

Ferrariman

• 10 months later...

Sorry I'm late opening this episode but been very busy. Man, "Nobody Lives Forever" has cool music, punks you like to see get their lumps, good Florida beach scenes, love scenes, rapport between Rico & Sonny, Rico playing the sax, and Izzy too!! I really dig this one. This was my review in the episode section. I would like to add that every song is really exciting. "New Love" is a song I just noticed. Nice & soulful! The car phone is some relic! My wife really got po'd when she saw Tubbs bleeding at the door, because of Sonny's irresponsible behavior. I liked Sonny's remark to Brenda's little life game, " Can't we play Monopoly?" Now I know where LWP got her user name from! I thought it was her initials! Dig the pastel hot dog trucks! I think Sonny showed up at the end because he was on his way to the OCB from his break-up talk with Brenda. This episode gets a 10 from me!

• Like 1

• Administrators

How many of you noticed that Snake shown here:Eingefügtes BildIs the same guy that played Mikey in "Everybody's In Showbiz" here:Eingefügtes BildI give this one a 9/10

I've seen it 1000 times. I NEVER noticed!Thanks for the heads up! I learn so much from the members on this site.

This is a very good looking episode, as you'd expect from season one, but the plot is very thin. Not much is going on in this ep. I always thought this was an episode about nothing in particular. Although I do like this episode. Very enjoyable intro with the three punks causing havoc, knocking the van driver off the causeway into the water and the shootout in South Beach. Beautiful shots of the MacArthur Causeway and Ocean Drive and I love the song 'Bad To The Bone' by George Thorogood and the Destroyers. Great song and a great choice for the episode. Then another good pre-credits sequence with Crockett and Tubbs investigating the abandoned car. This episode has the first romance for Crockett outside of Gina and Caroline. Brenda was fine and Greist's acting was fine. I  did find her annoying when she was asking stupid questions("Where do the Crocketts live, Where do the Crocketts vaction" will you SHUT UP!). I did like some parts of their scenes though, like the "I usually take the Ferrai" line and how the dangers of Sonny's job are called into question. He puts his life on the line when he goes to work.

A lot of good scenes in this episode,like the three punks committing Grand theft Auto in south beach. I think that was around the area where the Loews now stands. It's more built up now. I also liked the scene where Brenda heard the shootout on the phone. Sonny wasn't focused on the job and the punks got away. Good to see the St. Vitus getting a workout in this episode. And the punks pulling the gun on Izzy and the ensuing shootout in the restaurant was entertaining. Great montage with beautiful shots of Crockett reflecting on the Stinger at dusk thinking about Brenda and the pissed off faces of Tubbs and Castillo. The song 'Heartbeat' by Red 7 matched the sequence very well. Mr. Mann would re-use that song for the end credits of Manhunter, which also featured Kim Greist. Something eerie in this ep. Tubbs says Izzy must be psychic. A premonition of PMT's '90s career.The climax on Ocean Drive is excellent. Great action, it looks gorgeous on the sunny day and I liked Crockett and Tubbs' reconciliation. This episode has quite a weakish storyline and tends to be a bit low key at times but overall is a very good episode. I'd give it 8.5/10

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
Updated thoughts. Changed opinions
  • Like 1

The three punks story is one of the most atrocious in Vice history, the Brenda story is one of the best. Really gets to the core of what undercover cops sacrifice in their personal lives. And New Love is an awesome song, TD! The strength of the Brenda story is what keeps me coming back ... I just sort of tolerate the other part of it.

I will start by saying that this is not a bad episode, it has some interesting story feature, but the final product is sloppy. The girlfriend is a character introduced out of nowhere and is poorly written, the villians are young punks (kinda lays it down for Trust Fund Pirates) and are not interesting, it's just average, the best section is Izzy's shoe sales, I give it a 6. (note timm 525, that other guy behind Mikey was also on this episode and The Prodigal Son)

• Like 1

what makes this ep special to me is lots of good day time shots. the beach scenes, the pool scenes, sonny (stunt man) on the boat, breakup scene, etc., all give this ep a nice getaway kind of feel for me ("kind of like your in florida, eh" :)). i've got to hurry (not rush) and finish "brenda" before spring fully arrives. it will be a perfect time for this song. kudos to jan for the great score in this ep.i think i'll go over to hulu.com and watch it right now! ;)

Guest neworder

Nobody Lives Forever is a very competent episode. It tells an important story about combining relationships and work and trying to balancing them out, it clearly doesn’t work and Tubbs gets beaten up, their friendship is tested in a way in this episode. There are some pretty good lines in this episode, one worth mentioning ‘LWP, lust with potential’, ill have to use that one myself one day lol. Gina is hurt in this episode as she, as even Crockett says, is basically just there for when they want a bit of sex and then Crockett tosses her away again. Poor Gina. This is a good episode, severely let down by the 3 lunatics but as many other people say, they don’t play an integral part in this story so therefore I give this episode a 7/10.

I didn't really like brenda,she was way too clingy and Crockett was distracted most of the time. I don't like that fact that tubbs got beat up,due to brenda being selfish. Although there are some good things in the episode. The "heartbeat" scene and the look on Izzy's face when he thought he had been shot:D:D

• Administrators

This episode has it all! Action, emotion, bad guys, good friends, suitable music and of course pastel colors. When we did the review on the german board I was amazed how many male members rated this episode 9 or 10. I always thought that the story of Crockett's "new love" was a typical "female" episode ... The following dialog defines the whole situation:Sonny: Okay. It's your turn. The ugliest guy you ever dated.Brenda: Never dated ugly guys. I didn't.Sonny: You don't play fair.Brenda: I never said I did.Sonny: Good. I like that. Keeps things interesting. At this point I always remember Caroline's line from "brother's keepers"... You're all players, Sonny. You get high on the action. This quote and also the dialog between Sonny and Brenda is the key why Sonny's private life is a mess and always will be. He's somebody who'll get bored as soon as every day life takes place, and he likes playing with risks.I also like Rico's reaction when he has breakfast with Brenda and Sonny. It shows a detail of Rico's character which rarely appears: Tubbs doesn't rise above emotions ... and a little kind of jealousy.Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes BildWithout any doubts this is the most terrific scene of the episode: Sonny on board of his boat reflecting on what had happened during the past few hours ... and at last reaching a decision...Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild ... Brenda responds very composed: Sonny: I think we have to slow things down.Brenda: I think you're right.Sonny: You could've pretended to be a little disappointed.Brenda: I was never disappointed.Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Respect, Brenda! Reacting in this calm and loving manner shows that you really love this guy.And of course there are some really humorous scenes with Izzy and with these flying flamingos (thanks to AlligatorLady who opened my eyes for this awesome joke!)Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Last but not least there is just one thing I really don't like. The episode's finale is a little bit too contructed in my book. Obviously the Vice makers forced the reconciliation of Sonny and Rico within this story line though the removal of their distance would have been worth a second episode. Be it as it may: Tubbs flees headless from the bad guy's car. He could have taken cover behind the hot dog stall or upon one of the trees. But instead of this he runs like a rabbit across the beach giving Sonny (who arrives just in time of course!) the possibility to rescue him... *sigh* ... too obvious! Nevertheless this is one of my favorites: 10 out of 10!

• Like 1

I remember talking about this on .org a couple of years ago, the coincidences between actor Michael Carmine (the snake guy), and Miguel Pinero. Michael, as was mentioned above, also played Mikey in "Everybody's in showbiz". The character of Mikey was based on the the criminal turned actor/playwright, Miguel Pinero, who played Calderone, and also the head guy of the Revilla's in "The Prodigal Son". Miguel is spanish for Michael, and Mikey of course is a variation of the name Michael. Pinero died of cirrosis of the liver in 1988 (only about a year after "Everybody's in showbiz" was filmed). Carmine also died a year after that of heart failure. He was only 30."Nobody lives Forever" was an ok episode, but what spoiled it for me was how immature and moronic the gang was. They literally acted like subnormally intelligent 8 year olds, yet the three of them were clearly in their mid to late twenties. I have to agree, Brenda was way too clingy for Crockett. You get the impression from Crockett that he is too much of a free spirit to be stifled by that kind of relationship. Did anyone else think it was a bit weird that Crockett and Brenda were actively dating, yet he admits to occasionally sleeping with Gina? If I had been in that position and said that I think that would have pretty much killed the relationship right there and then. But then again sadly I don't look like Don Johnson so maybe Brenda was willing to put up with more!One of my favourite dialogues from Vice...Crockett: So the lady's warmed up my social life, so what?Tubbs: Warmed it up?.... man that chick's set that sucker on FI-YA!I like how Crockett and Tubbs seem surprised to be made by the bad guy's heavy who came out to get the newspaper, despite the fact that they are two men sat only yards across the road in an open top Cadillac dressed in designer clothes.Notice the scene in the strategy room after Tubbs gets beaten up. Great scene from the point of view of DJ and PMT's acting. You could just feel the uncomfortable feelings between them from their body language. Crockett is keeping a low profile at the back of the room, turned away from Tubbs and sat in silence, while Tubbs is clearly still angry with Crockett, and is directing that anger towards the rest of the team.The way that Crockett ends his relationship with Brenda was very cleverly done. For a start, he's the one ending it, not her. Crockett being dumped might have made him look too much like a loser, and Crockett's too cool for that! Also because Brenda has obviously come to a realisation that it isn't going to work either, she ends up agreeing with him, and still thinks he's a great guy, even after he's dropped her. If only it were that easy!Crockett still manages to redeem himself at the end of the episode by saving Tubb's life. Never before have I been so glad to see Vice bad guys take a bullet. "Party's over kid". Yeah you're damn right!Crockett and Tubbs walked off with their arm round each other which I thought was nice in a male bonding kind of way.Like I say, I thought this was an ok episode, but the best is still yet to come. 6.5 out of 10.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to give an episode of MV such an awful grade, but I can only give this story a 1. I found the ep to be too reckless, let alone any MV flare either. It both emphasized too much on Sonny's new found love and frankly she did not have the most cheerful like personality, but having those 3 lethal lunatics spreading havoc did not catch my fancy at all. For me it's an ep that is the less viewed the better.

• 2 months later...

I found Tubbs to be annoying in this episode. It was like he was jealous of Sonny's relationship with Brenda. He had some audacity to question whether or not the relationship between the two of them could work. Who is he to question that? Sometimes he just portarys this attitude that he is more cultured and better off than Sonny. A good example is when he makes the comment that Sonny wouldn't know the difference between "Bauhaus and an outhouse." Where does he get off? He pretty much tells Sonny later on that he has no class and then he tries to point this to Brenda by stating he does not see how someone with her style could have a successful relationship with a street cop. I think Sonny was a little bit obsessed or preoccupied with the relationship, but who hasn't been there themselves? The overall story was weak. The three punks were nothing more than that punks. A first year rookie could have taken care of them. I give the episode a 5.

9/10This is one of those episodes went it was high on style, slightly short on substance. It's done so well it works. Yes, the punks were no more than that. Just a plot device. The music and editing are the main part of this episode.

• 8 months later...

I don know if somebody has noticed this before...I watched this episode yesterday and noticed something I have not seen this before.... after Crockett & Tubbs grabbed Izzy asking him to find the 3 punks...when they are walking back to the car, you can see lots of people lined up around watching when this scene is beeing filmed...you see people from the reflection from the shop window and just when C&T are at the car there are a lot of people in the back...:)

I've seen spectators watching the filming in other episodes but when there is some kind of police action or anything unusual going on in the street, it will naturally attract a crowd. Can be used as part of the scene.

• 2 months later...

Okay, I know the plot of this is a little goofy...but how they did the episode and everyone and everything in it was awesome! I really liked this one! The punks were hilarious...I especially love the idiot that puts the girl's panties on his head when they're goofing around in that old Pontiac Convertible--the first car they stole. Then later one of the other punks makes fun of the guy they stole the money and drugs from--in the restaurant right after Izzy sees them. They were just so stupid and whacked out, that despite their deadliness I "cracked" up everytime I saw them. :)I also really liked the storyline and scenes with Crockett and Tubbs, reguarding Sonny's "slipping" in duties because of his new woman Brenda. What was up with her? I did not find her that attractive (and most of Sonny's women I found somewhat odd or unattractive) and she was kind of goofy?? But, I liked the storyline--and how they acted it out. The scenes with Gina finally letting Crockett "have-it" because of him just using her when he's not regularly dating another woman--very touching and "real!" :clap: The scene where Crockett and Castillo stare at each other when Castillo refuses to let him go out on the operation with Tubbs is also very profound--and probably somewhat "real" from what I understand how Don Johnson and Edward James Olmos felt about each other. ;)I also liked the music and pastel colored everything--even the bad guy's hot dog wagons were the "MV" pink and teal! :cool:I just liked this episode--not my most favorite by any means, just another cool one that 's enjoyable! I gave it an 8.

• 1 month later...
I found Tubbs to be annoying in this episode. It was like he was jealous of Sonny's relationship with Brenda. He had some audacity to question whether or not the relationship between the two of them could work. Who is he to question that? Sometimes he just portarys this attitude that he is more cultured and better off than Sonny. A good example is when he makes the comment that Sonny wouldn't know the difference between "Bauhaus and an outhouse." Where does he get off? He pretty much tells Sonny later on that he has no class and then he tries to point this to Brenda by stating he does not see how someone with her style could have a successful relationship with a street cop. I think Sonny was a little bit obsessed or preoccupied with the relationship' date=' but who hasn't been there themselves? The overall story was weak. The three punks were nothing more than that punks. A first year rookie could have taken care of them. I give the episode a 5.[/quote']Must agree, Tubbs was a bit out of order.Loved how Brenda hit back at him."Let me see if I have this straight, Sonny is a middle class dolt. I'm a tasteful but shallow jet setter and you're God?"Like others stated, those three punks were annoying as hell."Let's get the bookies....Let's get the bookies...Let's get the bookies!":BARF:The most painful part was watching Gina quiz Rico about Sonny and Brenda. Then in a later scene, she tries get him to go to dinner with her.Talk about no pride whatsoever, it was like seeing a puppy get hit by an Amtrak Acela train. Ouch...Ouch and OUCH!

• 11 months later...

Nobody Lives Forever is one of the most emotional and affective episodes of the show. So, I add it to one of the best episodes!:happy::happy::happy::clap::clap:The focus is on Sonny's affair and on the relationship between Rico and him and not on the case for once.I love this because we learn much about Sonny's and Rico's character and see that Sonny isn't the extreme macho who changes girls like underwear.No, we get to know a deeply enamoured Sonny who enjoys Brenda and her life which is balanced, regular and not dangerous.:glossy:Of course, Brenda is an upper-class girl, but this fact doesn't interfere their love (and that isn't the reason why Sonny wants to break off the affair!).But there's one problem: Sonny's job misses out!This is very realistic because if you are in love, job respectively everything else takes a back seat.Certainly, being an undercover cop requires 100% attention and concentration and forbids one unperceptive moment or even a dearly family life (as we can see in Heart Of Darkness where Artie Rollins gives up his family).:hot:Sonny and Rico know that and help mutual if one of them forgets this important point. In this way, I understand the tense conversation between Rico and Brenda about the affair. So, Sonny decides againt Brenda ... typically VICE!:cry::glossy:There are strong dialogues between Sonny and Brenda about their life and their jobs.Furthermore I enjoy this wonderful tropical style including the sailing scenes or the pool scenes:happy: - you feel the heat of Miami!!!Naturally Sonny's outfit is admirable: jackets in pastel-yellow and pastel-blue, salmon and pink shirts, pale-green pleated-front trousers.:clap::glossy: Rico also wears his Carrera glasses.In the last 10 minutes, one of the most awesome and coolest scenes of the whole show follows: Sonny's cogitation on his Chris Craft with Heartbeat by Red 7!!!:happy::happy::clap: - I LOVE VICE FOR THESE MOMENTS!!!Strong action completes this fantastic episode...10 of 10 points!

• 3 months later...

The sole reason I didn't give this episode a 10 was for the over the top hoodlums. I thought they were a bit too ridiculous to be truly menacing. And I don't understand why everyone kept referring to them as "kids". None of them looks like a teen to me.I know it's a slower episode than the usual Vice, but I like that. I liked Sonny and Brenda's relationship. I thought Kim Greist did a good job. She was believable. I would have liked more of an introduction to Brenda, but oh well. The cinematography was great--there were certain points that had a dreamlike quality I really liked.The only thing I didn't understand was Tubbs' last line. I think he said he'd rather go trolling? Couldn't quite make it out so not sure what was meant.

• 1 year later...

Personally, I liked this episode. Sure, the punks were a bit over the top and Brenda was a real plastic actress (so plastic, just annoying and not very good looking at all) but overall there was a conflict for Crockett and Tubbs was trying to help him make the better choice. This episode must've had an influence on GTA with the open gunfight near the beach. Never been to Miami so I don't know the exact location haha.9/10 is the score for this one folks!

• 1 month later...
Okay' date=' I know the plot of this is a little goofy...but how they did the episode and everyone and everything in it was awesome! I really liked this one! The punks were hilarious...I especially love the idiot that puts the girl's panties on his head when they're goofing around in that old Pontiac Convertible--the first car they stole. Then later one of the other punks makes fun of the guy they stole the money and drugs from--in the restaurant right after Izzy sees them. They were just so stupid and whacked out, that despite their deadliness I "cracked" up everytime I saw them. :)I also really liked the storyline and scenes with Crockett and Tubbs, reguarding Sonny's "slipping" in duties because of his new woman Brenda. What was up with her? I did not find her that attractive (and most of Sonny's women I found somewhat odd or unattractive) and she was kind of goofy?? But, I liked the storyline--and how they acted it out. The scenes with Gina finally letting Crockett "have-it" because of him just using her when he's not regularly dating another woman--very touching and "real!" :clap: The scene where Crockett and Castillo stare at each other when Castillo refuses to let him go out on the operation with Tubbs is also very profound--and probably somewhat "real" from what I understand how Don Johnson and Edward James Olmos felt about each other. ;)I also liked the music and pastel colored everything--even the bad guy's hot dog wagons were the "MV" pink and teal! :cool:I just liked this episode--not my most favorite by any means, just another cool one that 's enjoyable! I gave it an 8.[/quote']This was my original statement and rating of this episode. I still stand by it. I really like this episode and it's probably the first time (since the pilot movie "Brother's Keeper") that Sonny and Rico are at odds with each other. It's just interesting to watch it play out, and to see how they all deal with it.I know some here of said they thought it seemed Tubbs was jealous of Crockett's relationship with Brenda. I disagree. He wasn't trying to "get" with Brenda, nor was he ever nasty or rude to Crockett that he was dating someone. Tubbs was worried and even annoyed, and rightfully so, that Sonny was "shirking" on his duties as a cop and to have his partner's back. Crockett's relationship was starting to interfere with his and Tubbs' job...which in their case meant their lives--literally.I also still enjoy watching the scenes with Gina and Sonny...where she let's him have it on how he's just using her when it's convenient. Why he did not get with her and stay is beyond me? (Except we know that in reality it was the moron writers that broke it up.)Again...I do not find Brenda attractive at all, so when she and Sonny break up at the end I'm not crying. :) Like I stated before, a lot of Crockett's girls are not attractive to me...even Caroline, his ex-wife, is not attractive in my opinion. Nothing against Belinda Montgomery at all...but she's definitely not Gina (Saundra Santiago)! ;) In my opinion Sonny should have ended up with her...and the writers should have continued with that storyline. The only other girlfriend that Sonny had besides Gina that was attractive to me was that Dr. Theresa Lyons...who turns out to be a drug addict. :rolleyes: