Ricardo Tubbs: The Big Biography

Christine

Before I start I want to tell you that all of this wouldn´t be possible without the help of MiamiJimF. :clap::flowers:In this bio you´ll find a lot of things you´ve never seen in the series. I hipe you enjoy it.RICO´S FAMILYWhen you think about Miami Vice you also think about Rico Tubbs. He was Sonny Crockett´s partner, the good - looking black Vice detective.But who was Ricardo Tubbs?He was born in Queens as the second son of George and Lilly Tubbs. George, a preacher, had his own parish. Lilly committed herself tirelessly to the well being of her family. She organized visiting services for indigents and other events. She lovingly took care of Rico and his ten years older brother Raphael. Both brothers had a sheltered upbringing and learned the deeply rooted faith of their parents.Raphael was Rico´s greatest role model and as a boy Rico tried to emulate him in a lot of ways. Both loved music. Rico learned how to play the piano and the guitar. For while he was a member of a band, named for the spirit of the times, "WILD BOYS".Rico spent serveral summers with his Aunt Catherine and his Uncle Joseph in their home named "PARADISE VIEW". Their home was located near the Jamaican city of Montego Bay. There Rico learned to speak like an Jamaican. This ability, as we know, proved to be very useful in the future."Ithought Ricardo would become a preacher one day as his father was or a musician, but he decided to be a policeman like his brother Raphael", says Catherine Tubbs. "I know that George and Lilly were not happy about that. Their hope was that Rico followed in his father´s footsteps. But Rico had his own ideas and a strong willpower. In spite of the age difference Rico and Raphael got along very well. I could have imagined that they hunted criminals together. What happened was very tragic".After he finished the Police Academy Rico worked as a street cop in the Bronx, where he also lived i an appartement. His pride and joy was a 1960 Buick.At a Departement Christmas party in 1983 Rico met Valerie Gordon and fell in love with hr. It was as if Rico and Valerie were made for each other. They had similar interests, liked the same kind of music and were really committed to their jobs.This changed at the beginning of March 1984. We know that there was a disagreement between Rico and Valerie, which caused them to split up. But what had happened?Christine and MiamiJimF

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Christine

• little miss dangerous

• Sonny-Burnett

• Tony D.

2.WHAT FINISHED THE RELATIONSHIP? ACCORDING TO VALERIE GORDON"I liked Raphael. He was a considerate man, who always loved joking. We often went out together: me, Rico, Raphael and Raphael´s girlfriend, who finished the relationship with Raphael in February.Sometime at the end of January Raphael mentioned Calderone for the first time. He said there was no chance of arresting this man. I blame this ghost for the break down of Raphael´s relationship. Raphael worked as a drug squad officer, the same Departement Rico wanted to work for.Raphael talked very often about Calderone. I noticed that Rico devoted his attention to Calderone in the same way as Raphael.Rico fretted about Raphael, but I only got angry. Raphael was 44 years old; old enough to take care on his own business. Rico claimed, however, that something was wrong and that his brother was in real danger. To make all matters worse Raphael told Rico at the telephone everything he knew about Caderone: what hotel he stayed and what bars and restaurants he preferred.As a result Rico and I argued more and more often. I told him he should stop thinking about his brother´s job. We were together for about two months and Rico almost thought more about Calderone than me. What woman likes that? I have to admit that his preoccupation with Calderone proved important because he was eventually able to bring the murderer to justice. I didn´t appreciate it at the time.When Rico called to tell me we were not going out that Friday night as we had planned because Calderone had brought up preliminary discussions with Raphael and his partner Jon Elliot I flipped my lid. I had looked forward for this evening because we planned to have dinner in this fantastic new restaurant and hadn´t met for the whole week. I was steamed. Next time he called me at 4:30 AM. Raphael was dead and Rico totally shattered. He told me he was at his mother´s house. His father died unexpectedly in October and he told me he would give me the details of the funeral later. Next time we met was at the funeral. Rico told me that he would get in touch soon, but he didn´t call for about a week. He sounded different, somehow - I don´t know. Determined? Angry? He said he was wearing Raphael´s St. Christopherus locket. He said Raphael had forgotten to put on this lucky charm that Friday night. As if this would have changed anything!He also told me that Raphael was still with him, because Raphael turned around shortly before he was shot.As I said, Rico was different. He called rarely, was never at home and when I reached him at last in the Departement he sounded angry that I had called. He said he had a lot of things to do and he wanted my understanding.One evening he showed up at my door. A big blizzard howled - probably the last one for the winter. Rico seemed relaxed. At four in the morning he wanted to go out for ice cream. I walked to the little ice café at the corner to buy ice cream, but it wasn´t the right one. I bought peacan candy for Rico, because I thought he liked it, but he hated it. ( 16 - Rites of passage).At six Rico told me that he was going to leave New York to follow Calderone´s trail and that he wasn´t sure if he was coming back. I was dumb founded.All he talked about was the damned guy Calderone. Before Raphael got killed a lot of things revolved around Calderone, but now Rico seemed to be totally possessed by this drug dealer. I said: If you go now,Rico, if you close this door, I´ll never open it for you again.He looked at me and answered: I must do it, Val, for Raphael and for Jon.Then he left. That was Rico. If he wanted to do something, nothing would stop him.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: KNOWN AND UNKNOWN THINGS OF MIAMIChristine and a big thanks again to MiamiJimF:clap:

Thanks and I hope you enjoy all the following chapters, too, but if there´s something not clear please ask.

3. IN MIAMIRico absolutely wanted to catch Calderone. As a policeman he had access to all the files. Consequently he knew that his colleagues in the Homicide Division supposedly had found no connection between Calderone and the murder of the policemen. The Homicide Division had his statement and his description of Calderone´s sedan, the gunman, Calderone´s chauffeur and Calderone himself. But his colleagues always said: "You couldn´t have seen it exactly. It was dark, some street lamps were damaged and you were too far away. Beside that you were stressed".But Rico knew what he had seen and he was sure that Calderone had paid off at least one person in the Departement.Rico started to search for evidences himself. He visited the bars and restaurants Calderone preferred and paid for information about the drug dealer (1 - Brother´s keeper part 1).A young black waiter, who worked in Calderone´s favorite bar, told Rico one night that Calderone planned to vanish to Miami in two days. Rico gave him a bill and asked him to knock over Calderone´s glass. Rico hoped to catch Calderone when the man walked to the washroom to clean up. Unfortunately his plan didn´t work and Calderone escaped, but Rico wasn´t willing to give up. Secretly he sent faked credentials to Miami and asked his Lieutenant Alexander Jones for a vacation. "One week will be enough", he said and Lieutenant Jones agreed. (You can read all about Lieutenant Jones statement in the 5th chapter).Rico sold his Buick. Then he told his mother: "I´m away on business for a few days, but I get in touch as soon as possible".She was used to getting infrequent calls from Raphael before he was killed and so she didn´t see any unusual about Rico´s announcement.After the dispute with Valerie in the morning Rico took a taxi to the airport. There he had deposited the bags he wanted to take to Miami in a locker.He hoped to have pleasant female company during the flight to Miami, but the ladies in the neighbouring seats were about seventy years old and on the way to a class reunion.Rico closed his eyes, listened to the women´s babbling for a while and fell asleep.Using Teddy Prentis as an alias Rico had rented a room in a motel. The receptionist was a mid - twenties, nice looking woman named Emily. Rico talked to Emily and used his charm to find out where to go for amusement. Emily named several clubs and let him know that she would like to show him more of Miami and maybe more of herself. But Rico wasn´t interested.Rico´s only contact at the Vice Squad, Lou Rodriguez, told him about the bar at 16th Street and Biscayne. He stayed up for three nights in this bar, sang songs, danced around and gave bills to the lovely dancer. Several times he told the barkeep that he was searching for Calderone. He got to know Scott Wheeler first and Sonny Crockett a bit later. Sonny was a slightly burned - out detective of the Vice Squad, who flew into a rage because nobody had told him about the arrival of Raphael Tubbs from New York. Lieutenant Rodriguez tried to calm him down. He told Sonny that this had been a confidential police notification.Rico remembers: "Sonny turned me down as a partner, although Rodriguez urged him to do so. In fact I was not exactly keen to work with Sonny either. Sonny got angry very fast, was very volatile and he didn´t suit me. But Sonny was my best chance to get close to Calderone and I was his best chance to bag the guy. That´s what we both realized after a little dispute on Sonny´s boat, the St. Vitus Dance".WHAT DOES RICO SAY ABOUT HIS MEETING WITH CALDERONE IN THE BAR?(2 - Brother´s Keeper part 2)Rico continued: "I saw Calderone sitting at the table on the other side of the dance floor. A nice looking woman at his right side and a nice looking woman at his left side. Sonny, his colleagues Gina, Trudy and I were at this bar because of a meeting with a man named Triny de Soto. He was one of Calderone´s men and Triny had promised Calderone would be there. And he was!I crossed the dance floor and walked up to him. I don´t think he recognized me. I was angry about him, but I controlled myself. If I wanted to catch Calderone, I had to be carefully and make no mistakes. I thanked him for the champagne he bought for Sonny, Gina, Trudy and me and shook his hand. Then I walked back to the table where Sonny was waiting. He asked me if everything was ok and I said yes, but was glad when Trudy told us she wanted to go home and asked if somebody needs a ride. I couldn´t have breathed the same air as Calderone any longer without making a stupid mistake".Soon after he left the bar with Trudy, but had they spent the night together?IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: TRUDY´S STATEMENT

4. ARRIVING IN MIAMI (INCLUDING TRUDY´S STATEMENT)"It felt right when Rico and I left the bar together and I admit I wouldn´t have objected going to his motel. He was more than a nice looking guy. Although I´m not a woman that likes one - night - stands I would have made an exception for Rico. But he seemed to be obsessed by something or really stressed. When we were in the bar I thought he was interested in me, but during the drive to his motel I became unsure. After we arrived at the motel he apologized and said something like it would be better if we call it a night. He had something very important to do. I was disappointed, but I didn´t press him for more information about his plans. Later I heard what had happen, his real name and his reasons for coming to Miami.When I dropped him off that night I looked into my rear view mirror and saw him walking to a rental car at the road side and get into it. My thoughts about him were not pleasant at that moment".The truth was that Rico decided spontaneously to go back to the bar because he had Calderone on his mind. He wanted to find out in what hotel the Columbian was staying in. Rico knew that Calderone had hung out in bars in New York until dawn. He reckoned that Calderone would do the same thing in Miami.But when the morning dawned and Calderone hadn´t appeared, Rico was worried. He walked into the bar, but Calderone was no longer there. Calderone was hardly an inconspicious man so Rico asked the doorman if he had seen him."He left the bar very early last night and I wondered about that because he normally stays the whole night long", the doorman answered.Rico remembers, "I drove back to my motel and was upset because I hadn´t driven to the bar with the car I had rented after I arrived in Miami. Sonny picked me up at the motel as he suggested. I didn´t know the address of the bar where we wanted to meet with Triny de Soto, one of Calderone´s men.What didn´t know was that Sonny had been suspicious of me for days. He asked Gina to make inquiries about Raphael Tubbs. She found out that Raphael was killed in a shootout with Calderone three weeks ago. Gina told Sonny about the results of her inquiries after Trudy and I had left the bar".In the morning Rico drove to Sonny´s boat. He was in a good mood again and confident that he and Sonny would find a way to arrest Calderone. But Sonny was steamed and mad about all the things Rico had done to follow Calderone´s trail. This was the moment Rico saw clearly that there was no way he could go back to New York. But for him the most important thing was catching Calderone. He decided to wait until after Calderone´s arrest to think about his own future.Rico felt relieved when Sonny gave in his urgent appeals for cooperation. Last night Triny de Soto told them that Calderone wanted to meet Rico and Sonny this night and that would only be possible if Rico and Sonny work together furthermore.That night Rico stood opposite his biggest enemy. Calderone ordered his men to shoot Rico and Sonny. Rico got hit at his left upper arm, but he didn´t feel the pain. Calderone fled and Rico followed him dodgedly until he found him again.Calderone scoffed at Rico, laughed at him and told him that he wouldn´t shoot him because that was against the law(2 - Brother´s Keeper, part2).Rico admitted that it ws unbelievably hard for him not to pull the trigger. He hesitated for a while about what to do."I thought of Raphael", he confessed. "I asked myself what Raphael would have done in this moment. Would he have pulled the trigger? Would he have killed his brother´s murderer? - No, he wouldn´t! Nobody becomes a policemanto sink to the level of this scum".THey arrested Calderone, but only a few hours later Rico watched horrified as Calderone stepped into his private plane as a free man. Before Calderone disappeared into the plane he turned around and smiled mockingly as if to say, "Look, you can´t catch me. I´m a rich and influential man". Then he closed the door and theplane taxied down the runway. Again Calderone had escaped, but this time Rico had no earthly idea about the man´s destination.Sonny said that Rico probably had to go back to New York, but Rico answered that he could be glad if the police in New York even allowed him to check parking meters. THe Sonny asked him if he ever thought about a career in the Southern Law Enforcement and Rico had.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: THE STATEMENT OF LIEUTENANT ALEXANDER JONES, RICO´S BOSS IN NEW YORKChristine and MiamiJimF

5. LIEUTENANT ALEXANDER JONES´ STATEMENT"Ricardo Tubbs was a good and conscientious policeman, who left the Police Academy with top marks. He was always endeavored to give his best and tenaciously pushed his goals. He was popular with his colleagues.Rico´s father was a preacher and later I heard that Rico was also involved with the church. His brother Raphael was his role model and Rico made no secret of it. Why should he? Raphael Tubbs was a great policeman.I think Rico could have achieved great things in his job if his brother hadn´t lost his life in the line of duty. I wished Rico had talked honestly to me when I asked him whether he needed help after the murder of his brother. Rico seemed to be reserved, overtired, and irritable. That was why I asked if he was okay, but he claimed that he felt well. He said he just had a lot of things to do. I offered him some days off but he told me that he would like to use these later if possible. I hadn´t become suspicious at that time.If Ricardo had decided to come back I would have punched him in the mouth. His career in New York was finished at any rate. I only let it rest because my colleague from Miami, Lieutenant Rodriguez, asked me to do so. He said Tubbs was in an exceptional situation and he was playing an important role in the pursuit of an important criminal. Besides that Rico had already decided to move to Miami.Then I asked Rodriguez how Rico had planned his deception. I hadn´t noticed anything and so I wanted to know every little detail. Rodriguez told me that Tubbs inquired about who was responsible in Miami and landed at the Vice Squad. He even talked to Rodriguez on the phone using his brother´s name. Rodriguez told him that he could send the credentials to him and he also recommended the motel where Rico stayed later. They met once sometime in the evening. The whole time time Tubbs fooled everybody. As I said I´m glad that he decided to move to Miami and I´m glad I didn´t have to kick him out".Christine and MiamiJimFIN THE NEXT CHAPTER: THE NEW BEGINNING

6. THE NEW BEGINNINGAfter Calderone escaped Rico was unsure what to do. In the few days he stayed in Miami he thought several times about staying here forever. He liked Miami and felt well. Under normal circumstances he would have requested a transfer to Miami, but his stay in Miami wasn´t normal.Rico called Frederic - Freddy - Johnson, who was his colleague in New York. He wanted to ask him about the mood in the Departement."If you´re smart you stay wherever you are", Freddy recommended. He continued, "There´s the devil to pay if you know what I mean. Supervisor Banks is turning the Departemet upside down and Jones looks like if he´s about to blow his top. You really screwed up, Rico, and if you want to celebrate your next birthday, stay away!"That didn´t sound encouraging, but luckily Sonny took care that Rico got his own desk in the Departement that was next to Sonny´s desk. Rico reckoned that it had been Eddie Rivera´s desk. Eddie was Sonny´s partner until he was killed by a car bomb installed on Calderone´s order. In the newspaper Rico had read about a fight between drug dealers, but Sonny told him, however, that the Colombian gave the order and the Colombians name was Calderone.Rico called his mother in New York to tell her about his plan to move to Miami. She listened and didn´t interrupt. After Rico had finished talking she promised to clear his apartment out. At the end of the call she said that if he thought it was the right to do he should go ahead.Rico searched for a cheap, furnished apartment and found it in an old apartment complex in a suburb. Although the apartment was exactly what he had been looking for he knew after a few days that he couldn´t stay here. It was noisy day and night. Somebody was always fighting or watching TV as loud that they entertained the neighbors.Working for Vice was unfamiliar for Rico. In the past he often dreamed to work undercover with his brother, but now he found out about the big difference between dream and reality.The car he found by chance: a 1963 Cadillac Coupé de Ville Convertible. He couldn´t resist that fantastic car. But there was a big hole in his budget after he had bought the Cadillac.In his new job he was thrown straight into the fire, but his first case with Sonny was really hard for him. ( 3 - Heart of Darkness)Besides that he was worried because Lieutenant Rodriguez didn´t mention how his career was going.One day Rico walked up to him. He wanted to find out if he was a Vice detective now or not. Rico claimed that one of his principal reasons for his move to Miami was to improve his quality of life. Rodriguez contradicted and told him tha he knew about the real reasons for Rico´s move, but he gave Rico no indication about his future.Rico said, "Somehow everything came together. Penny Mc Graw, an 16 year old runaway, was found murdered in the pool of her apartment. For a short time Sam Kovic, the porn producer we wanted to arrest, called her his new star.Then we found out that Artie Rollins, Kovic´s right hand man was an FBI - agent named Arthur Lawson. Finally I couldn´t bear my apartment any longer. My air conditioning stopped working for two nights and so it was very hot in my apartment. My neighbors argued loudly till far after midnight. I lay in my bed and couldn´t sleep because of all of this and all my thoughts twisted around Artie. I couldn´t figure him out.Next morning I was in a damned bad mood when I arrived at the office. Fortunately I could get myself a cup of coffee there. I love my coffee, black and sweet.Sonny asked me why I was late and I railed about the Cuban biker, who was always very loud and then I had driven a detour because I was thinking about Artie. I got off the wrong way from the Don Shula Expressway. I didn´t tell him about all the other atrocious things in the complex where I lived, but I had really had enough!"Rico knew that he had to find solutions for his problems, but at first he needed to find a solution for that problem named Artie. Artie behaved like someone who changed sides. Sonny said that sometimes undercover operations must handle it that way to be believable, but Rico thought Artie could be Penny Mc Graw´s murderer. Did Artie really have to go so far?Rico didn´t know, but he mistrusted Artie.Fortunately he found out that Artie hadn´t changed sides when Rico´s and Sonny´s camouflage was busted when the engineer inadvertendly installed a wire that picked up a radio station.When suddenly the music started playing Sam Kovic´s knew that Rico and Sonny were not the customers they pretended to be. Kovic´ gave the order to drive to the harbor. There his men dragged Rico and Sonny out of the car."I was feared at that time", Rico confessed. "For a short while I thought that my first case would be my last".Kovic told Artie to shoot Rico and Sonny, but Artie hadn´t gone over to the other side as they thought. During his eight months of cooperating with this criminal anger had built up inside him because of all the bad things Kovic had done. He shot Kovic and didn´t stop until Sonny put his hand on Artie´s arm.Rico was stunned by Artie´s action. Never before he had seen someone in such a rage.Next morning they talked to Artie, who wasn´t sure if he cold go back to his wife. While undercover with Kovic he lived in luxury, had plenty of money, and always had nice looking female company. His normal life seemed to be too conventional.Rico thought about Raphael. After a longer involved case he always claimed he needd time to find himself again, to sort everything out and examined the role he had played.Rico drove home. He felt exhausted and all he wanted was a shower and a bed. When he opened the door his apartmet it was as hot as hell. In the apartment below his the TV boomed and the neighbors in the upper apartment shouted at each other in Spanish.With a sigh Rico walked to the bathroom. He took a shower, went to bed and felt asleep.In the evening he met Sonny in a bar. He told Sonny that e admired him and that he didn´t know how Sonny could do his job without going crazy.Then Rodriguez came up to them. He told them that Artie had left the FBI - office after a three hours of interrogation. He called his wife and then hung himself.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: EVERYTHING´S COOL OR: WHO THE HELL WAS CHARLENE?

• 2 weeks later...

7. AN ALMOST SUCCESSFUL EVENINGRico looked at the copy of Lawson´s duty card. He saw more and more clearly how undercover work could be nerve - racking and life changing. Again he thought about Raphael, who not only told him that he needed to find himself, but sometimes retreated from the world for several days.After Lawson told them that he knew they were detectives he indicated that he had seen things. No details, but it must have been so awful that he couldn´t live with it."By the way, Tubbs", Rodriguez said.Rico looked at the man who smoked his mandatory cuban cigar. Rodriguez grinned and continued, "Welcome to Vice and I should tell you Lieutenant Jones said it was better for your health to move south".Rico was amazed. "When did you call Lieutenant Jones?", he asked.Rodriguez took the cigar out of the mouth and grinned from ear to ear."Oh, that was directly after Calderone´s arrest, but I wanted to keep you in suspense. You earned it", he said.Sonny raised his glass and said, " Welcome partner".A relieved Rico also raised his glass. From this day on his new life really began.Later that evening he drove home in a good mood, but in his apartment he was welcomed by the all too familiar background noises. He heard a TV booming, someone crashing some dishes and the children screaming. Rico liked children, but not these because they always screamed and jangled his nerves.When Rico opened the door of his apartmet an unbelievable heat hit him. The airconditioning was still damaged, although he had complained three times to the apartment manager. Every time he had promised to repair it as fast as possible.Rico heard his fridge droning very loudly. He listened to all the noises and looked around as if he had seen all of this never before. The furniture was old and full of scratches and spots. The carpets were bleached. He asked himself why stay here now that he had a job?Spontaneously he rushed to his wardrobe, tore out all his stuff and threw as much as possible into his bags. Then he remembered the cardboard boxes that were lying around in the hall. He took them into his apartment and checked them to find out whether pests were living in them. In no case did he want to take along such a souvenir.He only needed half an hour to pack all his things, but he had to run back and forth three times to pack everything into his car. He decided to call the manager tomorrow.Then he drove to a mid - range motel and rented a room. It was big enough for Rico, clean, had a small kitchen, a small bathroom with a shower and a working airconditioner. Above all it was quiet and there was a church two blocks away.Rico slept very well that night and visited the church next morning before he drove to the Department. It was very important for him to have a place where he could light candles for Raphael and his father and say his prayers.On the way back to the motel where his car was parked he found a bar he decided to visit after work.It was a nice bar and from this day on he visited it frequently."After I moved to Miami I missed Valerie", Rico confessed. He continued, "But I knew she was part of my life I had left behind. We separated from each other in a dispute and I was disappointed that she did not understand me and my behavior".Slowly Rico became more familiar with the colleagues he worked closely with. First there were Gina Calabresi and Trudy Joplin, who often were on the streets posing as prostitutes or junkies. Then there was Stan Switek and Larry Zito. They disguised themselves as exterminators and sometimes obtained evidences without authorization by secretly filming suspects. And, of course, there was Lieutenant Lou Rodriguez, who had almost a friendly relationship with his employees, but they never forgot that Lou was the boss."In Miami everything was more casual than in New York. I had to get use to that", Rico says.The barkeep of Rico´s favorite bar was named Tom. He was a tall man with straw - colored hairs and grey - blue eyes. After a few weeks he and Rico spoke as friends even though Tom only knew the first name of his customer. Tom always knew a lot of new things and some of his stories were very interesting for Vice.One evening Rico saw a nice looking woman sitting at the bar. He had never seen her before. She turned her head and looked him up and down slowly. She smiled at him. Rico joined her. She was very slim and had an oval face with dark brown eyes. Her skin reminded him to coffee with cream. She wore her long, black hair in a pigtail and she was wearing a light green dress."You are new here", Rico said."That´s right, but you apparantly not", she answered and looked him straight in the eyes.Rico ordered a Mojito, a cocktail he always drank in Tom´s bar."I visit this bar sometimes. I´m Rico"."Charlene", she said."Are you on a vacation or do you live here?", Rico asked curiously.Charlene smiled. "I haven´t decided yet. And what´s with you?", she answered.Rico grinned and said, " Who knows?"Charlene laughed. "Oh, I understand. Don´t betray too much, right?""The same as you do. Would you like to dance?", Rico asked.Charlene slipped down the stool. At first she danced a little distance away. She didn´t want to make it too easy for him. They talked about harmless things, laughed a lot and drank one more glass of Mojito. Charlene admitted that she never heard about that cocktail before, but she liked it.With each dance the distance between them became smaller and then she allowed Rico to kiss her. When Rico asked her to leave the bar with him she said yes. But when they had paid the bill and started to leave the telephone rang. Tom picked it up, waved it and shouted, " Rico, your friend!""Can´t he tell him that we already left?", Charlene whispered into Rico´s ear while her fingertips caressed his neck softly.Rico sighed. At this moment he wanted to send Sonny and his damned call to the desert, but he knew that Sonny would only call if it was really important."Unfortunately not. I´m sorry, Charlene. It´s business and therefore important", Rico answered regretfully.A few minutes later Rico left the bar alone. Sonny told him he should come to the Department. There they wanted to use an unmarked car for the surveillance.The unmarked car turned out to be a rusty Van and the assignment they were on that night was investigating a small three kilo business. ( 4 - Cool Running)Rico and Sonny sat in the Van for several hours. Rico thought about Charlene and how things would have gone if it hadn´t been for Sonny´s call."I told Sonny I couldn´t believe that my promising night came to a sudden end because of his call. And for what? I told him that Charlene was really hot", Rico said.He had known that Charlene´s distant behavior was part of her game. He thought that behind the distant facade there was a lot of passion.Suddenly the dealers and their customers arrrived. They met not so far away from Sonny and Rico and with no warning the dealers shot the customers. The supposed three kilo business ended in a shootout with three dead customers and at the end of the pursuit Rico and Sonny crashed the Van in a bucket loader.Again and again they had to take cover from bullets and the shattered windshield made it more difficult to see. It was like a miracle that they were not injured."When Rodriguez told us to go home and rest I wasn´t keen about it. After such an exciting night a lot of adrenaline runs through your veins that keeps you awake", Rico told. He continued, "But after a shower I got really tired and after a few hours of sleep I felt the effects of the collusion with the bucket loader. All my muscles were hurting".Nevertheless he decided to go to Tom´s bar. He hoped to meet Charlene, but was disappointed."She left the bar a few minutes after you did", Tom said."Have you ever seen her before?", Rico asked.Regretfully Tom shook his head. "I´ve never seen her before. I think, she´s a tourist, but you have talked to her for - how long? Two hours? Three hours? Didn´t she tell you anything about herself in that time?"Rico thought about it. What did she tell him? She told him her first name and that she was 25 years old. She worked in an office and was a Michael Jackson fan."No", Rico confessed, but he had to admit that she didn´t know much more about him. Rico waited. Maybe she wanted to meet him and then she would show up at Tom´s bar. He ordered a Mojito, but Charlene never appeared. Then he realized she wasn´t going to show tonight and walked home alone.Christine and MiamiJimFIN THE NEXT CHAPTER: WHAT DOES SONNY CROCKETT SAY ABOUT HIS FRIEND AND PARTNER?

8.SONNY´S STATEMENTWhen Rico and I first met I wasn´t enthusiastic about him. I thought he´s a big wheel in New York because they had sent him to Miami with a special mission, but he wasn´t my cup of tea. In Miami things were handled more casual than Rico was used to in New York. But during our cooperation on the Calderone´s case I saw clearly that he wasn´t a bad guy. He was adaptable and learned fast how to play our games.Rico rarely lost his temper and he was always dependable. When Rico promised to meet you at eight he arrived five minutes before eight. But he expected others to do the same and he reacted indignantly if someone was late.Sometimes he forgot about the circumstances that brought him to Miami. For example when I gave Noogie´s address to the Jamaican criminal Desmond Maxwell, without telling Noogie about that. ( 4 - Cool Running)I knew that Noogie was in danger because of this and Rico criticized me for breaking too many rules. Then I reminded him of the rules he broke before he came to Miami.But in fact Rico and I suited each other perfectly.Rico was familiar with a lot of things because he loved reading books. It didn´t matter if you talked to him about art, religions or music. Rico could tell you something about the topic. It was very useful for our work that he could talk like a Jamaican. The dealers that he spoke to trusted him because he spoke the same language.Rico was a versatile man. One day he played the Jamaican and next day he played the wealthy businessman and he played it all very well.Normally Rico was a calm and considerate man, but sometimes I had to stop him. When he saw the engineer who installed the wire that picked up a radio station he flew into a rage. He wanted to knock the man down who was responsible for blowing our cover. ( 3 - Heart of Darkness)And he also got steamed when some criminals tried to shoot us with an M 60 machine gun. (5 - No exit) We caught one of these men and Rico attacked him.Rico and I understood each other with few words. That was great. We often fought together in dangerous situations and had no time for explanations. What Rico disliked, besides meat, was long boat trips, at least at the beginning of our friendship".Christine and MiamiJimFIN THE NEXT CHAPTER: ABOUT BETS AND HITMEN - ACCORDING BY RICO TUBBS

9. ABOUT BETS AND HIT - MEN ACCORDING TO RICO TUBBS" I was disappointed that Charlene didn´t appear that night, but there wasn´t much time to think about it. Our colleague Jake bet Sonny that he and his partner Bobby would have more important arrests next month than Sonny and I. ( 4 - Cool Running)That was one of these nonsensical bets people place after they have too much to drink and are in an excited mood. At this time nobody could be expected to know how the bet turned out.Stan and Larry, who posed as a receiver of stolen goods, gave us the name of the Jamaican criminal Desmond Maxwell. In Stan´s and Larry´s "shop" we got to know Noogie Lamont. He tried to sell stolen things like sunglasses, Calvin Kline underwear and similar things to Stan and Larry. Noogie stepped in merrily and told Stan all about the things he hid in his pockets and in the trunk of his car. Then we arrested himNoogie was the biggest blabbermouth I ever met. He talked without taking a breath until I had enough. I asked Sonny to stop at a shop where I got a paper bag to put it over Noogie´s head. That lowered Noogie´s voice, but that didn´t stop him.When he later told us that he knew Desmond Maxwell we believed him. We followed him all over through the Jamaican district. In a Jamaican bar Sonny gave him sixty dollars Noogie needed to get information from a man who was apperently a friend of Desmond Maxwell. I had a bad feeling about that, but Sonny told me I had to get used to working with informants. But my feelings were right and everything that Noogie told us was a lie. W saw the man Noogie wanted to get information from coming out of the rest room of the Jamaican bar. Noogie himself had jumped out of a window and when we caught him outside he confessed that he didn´t know Maxwell because he had spent a year in the can. In reality he got to know Desmond Maxwell in a prison in Atlanta.Then the tragedy with Bobby and Jake happened. They wanted to meet some drug dealers for a preliminary. God, I hate that word preliminary! Raphael and Jon wanted to meet Calderone for a preliminary and they got killed and now it happened Bobby and Jake.Sonny told me in the morning, when we were in the Jamaican bar, that he had to meet his wife Caroline and her lawyer at a restaurant. So he wasn´t in the office when the emergency call came in. A shootout with injured persons. That was the first information. A bit later I heard that an officer was injured.When I arrived at the scene of crime Bobby´s body was already in the ambulance and the emergency personnel treated Jake where he was shot. It was horrible and reminded me of the night in New York when my brother was killed.I called Sonny at the restaurant and he came immediately.Sonny and I were sure that the shootout only happened because of te bet, but I would never have told Rodriguez about that. We didn´t think Bobby and Jake would react so foolishly. The bet was only about ten dollars, not enough to risk your life for.Luckily Jake survived, but he didn´t come back to work at the Department". SOMETHING ABOUT THE NEW LIFE"I was now doing ok in Miami, although I was still living in that motel. I had decided to search quietly for the right apartment. After my experiences with the other apartment I had high standards and was very carefully. Besides that I liked the district where I was living. When I had time I visited the church where I always met the same people. An old lady, I think she was in her mid seventies, talked to me one day. She said I reminded her of her son. I remember that she said she had given birth to him in her forties. Her only son had died at age twenty. He was killed in Vietnam.The old lady always talked to me. She said her name was Glenda and I liked her.One day the "Castranova - Story" began. I sat at Tom´s bar and listened secretly to two men. They talked about a man named Castranova who had moved to Miami to carry on his business from this city. ( 6 - Hit list)I was sure that I had heard the name Castranova before. After I arrived at the Department next morning I searched for that name and my suspicion were confirmed. I told Rodriguz about it and had no earthly idea that my old enemy Calderone would show up once again. I hadn´t forgotten him, but I hadn´t calculated that he would return so fast.Then everything started happening thick and fast.Sonny and I turns with Stan and Larry observing Castranova. We worked the night shift. In the morning Stan and Larry relieved us. This was the day Sonny was scheduled to get divorced from Caroline. When I was on my way home I heard that Castranova was shot infront of the hotel he was living in. My colleagues pursued the murderer to a motel. I drove to it also. We checked the room of the suspected murderer and found a hit list with eight names on it. Six of this people were already dead and Sonny´s name was on it as number eight.Sonny didn´t know about it. I searched for him and found out that he was with Caroline. They had changed their minds and hadn´t divorced. That´s what Sonny confided to me later.Larry found a bill with the name Carlos Mendez on it. Therefore we thought he was the gunman.The FBI was nice enough to send us a blurry picture of Mendez because we had no idea what the man looked like. Then I recognized Calderone on the picture. He and a blond woman were sitting behind Mendez. I was horrified, but a short time later I found Sonny´s secret address in the papers we had taken possession of. I knew that Sonny and Rodriguez were on the way to the St. Vitus Dance, Sonny´s boat, to pack some clothes. Rodriguez wanted Sonny, Caroline, and their son Billy to go into hiding until the killer was found. I knew that Sonny and Rodriguez were in real danger now".Christine and MiamiJimFIN THE NEXT CHAPTER: GINA´S AND TRUDY´S MEMORIES

10. GINA´S AND TRUDY´S MEMORIESRico stared at the address and he knew that it didn´t matter to the killer whether number seven died first or number eight. He only wanted to check off all the names on the hit list. That was what Calderone paid him for.Trudy remembered, " After Rico found Sonny´s secret address he almost panicked. He ran to the phone and in his excitement pushed the key for the loudspeaker so that everybody in the office heard what happened on the boat. Sonny picked up the phone, then we heard the shots. It became deathly silent in the office. Nobody moved and it seemed as if nobody breathed, but in my mind I could still hear the shots. Rico shouted, " Sonny! Sonny, say something! For heaven´s sake, Sonny...!" - Then we heard Sonny´s voice. He sounded as if he was OK, but he shouted for Lou. Then we heard someone gasping as if he was badly hurt before the speech was interrupted.Rico decided to drive to the hospital immediately. Rico only asked me to do him a favor and search for information about the blond woman on the photo before he left quickly".Rico drove to the hospital at a terrific speed. He reproached himself. If he had shot Calderone in the harbor Rodriguez would not be injured now and maybe fatally. Rico put away that thought immediately. Rodriguez would survive.But the doctor told him that it looked really bad for his boss. Rico knew that they had to find the killer and Calderone and stop them both. They were cold - blooded and unscrupulous. They had left so many bodies behind that one more or less didn´t matter.Rico and Sonny waited for three hours and Rico told Sonny about the photo that showed Calderone. Lou´s condition didn´t change. Then Rico and Sonny drove back to the office to find, that Mendez was arrested.Rico handled about Mendez´s interrogation and Sonny gladly left to take his family home.Mendez acted innocent, claiming that he didn´t know Calderone and laughed at Rico when he called him a killer.Rico became angry because of that laugh. It reminded him of the moment in the harbor when he and Calderone stood face to face. "You won´t kill me. That´s against the law", Calderone mocked and Rico didn´t shoot.Now Mendez sat at the table and laughed at him, but before Rico finally lost his temper Gina told him that a colleague from the Homicide Division wanted to talk to him on the phone. Rico listened to the man who told him that drug dealer Linus Oliver had been shot. He was number seven on the hit list and Mendez had the best alibi in the world."Rico almost cracked up", said Gina. She continued, "He was hard to control. First he grabbed Mendez by the throat and then he ran to the parking lot. He wanted to drive to Sonny´s to warn him. If Sonny had been on the way with the Ferrari Rico would have called him on his car phone. But a colleague drove Sonny to the hiding because Caroline´s Station wagon was parked there.Rico and I took the Ferrari. Again and again Rico dialed Sonny´s number and tried to reach him at home, but Sonny wasn´t there. Every time he dialed the number he said, "He was the wrong man! We should have known that, Gina! Mendez was the wrong man!"I asked him how we should have know that, but Rico didn´t listen. He was very worried, of course, and was angry as he drove through the city like a bat out of hell. Then he dialed Sonny´s number again and railed, " Mendez, that squirt, couldn´t have been the killer! The killer never left any traces and that bill with Mendez´s name on it that we had found in the motel room... - That didn´t fit!"I only hoped that we would arrive in one piece and early enough for Sonny and his family".When Rico and Gina arrived at Sonny´s house they heard the noise of the shootout inside. More police cars arrived and the cops moved into position. Rico, however, couldn´t bear it outside. Sonny was his best friend and needed his help. Fearlessly he ran into the house and jumped behind the couch to protect himself because the killer fired a volley at him. The couch was not the perfect protection, of course. The bullets whizzed all around him mixed with the insides of the couch.Rico crawled to the end of the couch and fired. Sonny did the same and so the killer noticed that he was out numbered. He ran out of the house, knowing that the police would shoot him.After the gunman had died Rico left his shelter and was relieved to discover that Sonny, Caroline, and Billy were OK. But when the new day dawned Rico found out by phone that Lou Rodriguez had died and that Mendez had betrayed Calderone. The drug dealer was somewhere in the Bahamas.Christine and MiamiJimFIN THE NEXT CHAPTER: THE BOAT TRIP

11. THE BOAT TRIP"Lou Rodriguez was a good man, " Rico said. He continued, "I only got to know him for a short time, but I know that his employees liked him. He knew how to lead the Department and he supported his staff. I don´t know what would have happened to me without his support. He did a lot for me when he gave me a chance. Eventually I had used some illegal methods and that´s an offence for that a policeman. Rodriguez took care of that the business and it was pursued no further. I owned him more than a thanks. Sonny and I drove back to the Department and we went to work on Mendez. At the beginning of the interrogation he didn´t want to do any more talking. It wasn´t enough for us to know that Calderone was in the Bahamas. About eighty islands belonged to the Bahamas chain. I got steamed about Mendez who protected a cop killer. But then Mendez talked about the things he knew." (7 - Calderone´s Demise)After the interrogation Rico drove to the motel room to pack some clothes. For a few seconds he thought about wearing the locket or not. The locket was a present from his Great - Grandmother to Raphael. Unfortunately Rico never got to know her. Great - Grandmother Tubbs had sent the locket and a postcard by mail because she lived with some relatives in Jackson, Ohio.Raphael kept this postcard well and showed it to his brother. So Rico knew what she had written, "As St. Christopher carried Jesus safely through the water, so should this lucky charm accompany you through your life."Raphael didn´t wear it in the night when he was killed.Rico put it on, walked to the church and lighted a candle for Lou Rodriguez. Then he bought coffee and doughnuts, drove to the marina and started the journey with Sonny.In New York Rico had driven around the East and Hudson River with no problem, but it was something different to journey across the Caribean. Rico felt sick right away. He tried to get his mind off the pitching and rolling of the boat by talking to Sony about their procedure at St. Andrews Island where Calderone should be. Besides that Rico thought about the night when his brother was killed."Although I made every effort to fight the nausea I was afraid several times tha I was going to feed the fishes with my breakfast," Rico confessed. He continued, "Sixty miles can be rather long and the worst was that we had to get back to Miami the same way. I tell you honestly I didn´t feel that bad for a long time."When the boat reached St. Andrews Island Rico was happy to be on dry land again. He told Sonny that he wouldn´t go with him on a tour around the Island if Calderone wasn´t on the island.They walked to the bar. Crockett said his name was Mr. Miller and he asked if there was a message for him. That was what Mendez betrayed to them about the deal between Calderone and the gunman, an Argentinean named Ludovico Armstrong. After the Argentinean had checked off the eight names on the hit list he was to come to this hotel, check in as Mr. Miller, and wait for Calderone to contact him. But there was no message for Mr. Miller. Rico reckoned that Calderone didn´t know yet that the gunman was on the island to collect the rest of the money he owed to the Argentinean.Rico only took a short rest. His stomach calmed down quickly, but he turned down the Jamboo Special the bartender offered them as a welcome present of the hotel management to the new guests after a look at Sonny´s disgusted facial expressions. Rico talked to the bartender, a young man who had spent the Easter holidays on the island and missed his flight back home because of an caribean hash bust seven years ago. Rico asked him about Angelina Madeira, the blond woman on the FBI - photo. The young man thought she was fantastic. Rico didn´t answer. He had his own opinion about people who were connected to Calderone. But he thought, as an informant, she was worth a fortune. He knew many things about her and therefore believed that she had a close relationship with Calderone. At this time he didn´t know how close it was.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: ANGELINA

• 2 weeks later...

12. ANGELINARico was absolutely determined to use his whole charm to find out as much as possible about Calderone´s whereabouts. Constantly he thought about Raphael, Jon and Rodriguez. While he knew that there was nothing he could have done to save Raphael´s and Jon´s lives he knew Lou´s death could have been avoided. If he had reacted differently when Calderone was in front of the muzzle of Rico´s gun, Lou might still be alive now. But he also realized that he had no way of knowing what Calderone would do after his escape. Rico drove the car that he and Sonny had rented to the northside of the small island. Saint Andrews Island was very picturesque. It had gorgeous coves with white, warm sandy beaches and flora that radiated with an abundence of color. But Rico had no time to look at the island´s beauty. His only thought was to find Angelina. And he found her. During his trip he wondered how to get inconspiciously close to her. But when he finally found her it was easy. She was standing on the beach, painting. And Rico knew a lot about art. When she slowly turned around facing him, she gazed at him with her warm, brown eyes and a beautiful smile. Rico had to repeatedly reminded himself of who she really was.When Rico spoke with Sonny about Angelina Sonny wasn´t sure if Rico only saw Angelina as an informant. This infuriated Rico and made him indignant and he told Sonny that he would keep to the agenda, but he would never allow Calderone to escape again. Rico made it clear that he would do anything necessary to stop Calderone, that nobody and nothing would stop him!But Angelina was in his head. When dining with Sonny, his thoughts and words of her were quite laconic. Later as he lie sleepless in his bed, he could hear the ventilator buzzing and, through the window, he could hear the noises of the four days of the Jambaroo Festival. Rico kept thinking about the puzzle they had to assemble, but the pieces just didn´t seem to fit.Angelina was a teacher who lived in her own little stone house. While she attempted to teach children something about life, herself was with a man who sold death and wasn´t shy about giving orders to murder without remorse. Calderone loved to show off by wearing glitsy jewelry, while Angelina only wore the gold watch she had lost on the sandy beach. The same watch that lay on his bedside table as a reminder of it´s guarantee of their meeting again.Everything about Angelina confused Rico. And that´s why he spoke with Sonny about her. But this only made Sonny worried that Rico might change his mind about her. Rico turned away. In fact, Rico had fallen in love with Angelina. His love for her had made it hard for him to follow his original plans, but nevertheless he was determined to do everything in his power to capture Calderone. Rico and Angelina had arranged to meet that evening, where Rico felt he was sure to find out everything he needed to know about Calderone. But then the danger increased for Rico and Sonny. While they drove, another car with four masked men chased them throughout the city. And whil Rico and Sonny were able to save themselves they knew that they must have been blown. And since the police chief was the only one who knew about their real identities they fealt that he must be Calderone´s inside man.So Rico drove to Angelina´s home to cancel their date. But as the door opened, there was Angelina, covered only by a towel. So, he stayed with her anyway and found out something that thrust his heart into deep despait. Angelina was Calderone´s daughter.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: RICO´S STATEMENT ABOUT ANGELINAChristine and Rene Johnson

• 3 weeks later...

13. RICO´S STATEMENTI hadn´t calculated something like that", Rico confessed. He continued, "Trudy had found out that the name of the woman in the photo was Angelina Madeira. We checked her and we found where she was born, where she had grown up and what schools she had attended. We didn´t think to enquire about her family. Why should we? Angelina had attended schools that were quite expensive and therefore I thought that her parents are part of the Columbian elite class. But, parents have no influence on their children when they become adults. Children go their own way and meet new people. In Angelina´s case, I thought she had met Calderone somewhere and was dazzled that he had had, besides his money, qualities that she wanted to learn more about. But I never thought she would have been his daughter. And I never thought I would have fallen head over heels in love with her. I had denied it both to Sonny and even to myself. But, yes, it was true."He continued, "When I walked to her on the beach, I was determined to use her only as an informant. I wanted to catch Calderone for once and for all, and she was the only one who could tell me where he was now. But then she looked into my eyes with her beautiful, dark brown eyes. She smiled at me and talked with a soft sultry voice. From that moment on, I couldn´t get her out of my mind.""The next day I drove to her house to cancel the dinner plans we had made. But when we stood face - to - face, I could only see that I wanted her only for myself. She was the first woman since Valerie for which I had had such strong feelings. So I ended up staying with Angelina. Then, when I saw that photo of Calderone on her bedside table I jokingly asked her if she didn´t think that her boyfriend might be much too old for her. That was when she told me that he wasn´t her boyfriend but her father. That threw me totally off, but Angelina totally praised him up to the heavens. In her eyes, Calderone was a successful businessman who spent a lot of money generously on the poor people of his country. She said he was a great father who always made time for her and had shown her many wonderful places all around the world. She thought that I would like him and wanted to introduce me to him at the masked ball. She thought that my name was Richard, an art gallery owner from Soho, and that her father was a saint. After all that how could I have told her the truth? And how could I have turned down an introduction to the man I wanted to capture?", Rico asked."I took a taxi back to the boat. Sonny was there waiting for me. In the early afternoon, after the shootout with Calderone´s men, our rented car was parked on the bay ground. The only possible way to escape from Calderone´s men was to drive into the water. But I was lucky that I had taken the taxi. Otherwise, because I was so distracted, I would never have returned unharmed. I couldn´t believe it! She was HIS daughter! I had actually fallen in love with the daughter of the man I hated more than any other in the world. What a cruel irony that was! But I knew that sometime I would have to tell her the truth. And I knew she wouldn´t like to hear that her whole life was based on lies and that even I also lied to her", Rico said.He continued, "I told Sonny about the things I knew now. I was now growing more and more desperate. I asked him why things couldn´t be just black or white. You want to catch the bad guys, you catch them and that´s it. You don´t destroy the lives of the innocent. I don´t know if things would have been different if I would have been honest with Angelina right from the beginning. But now I´ll never know.""After Calderone´s men kidnapped Sonny on the masked ball, there was no time for long explanations. I was afraid for my best friend´s life. I knew that Calderone would kill him that very night. I dragged Angelina down to the beach, away from the festival and exclaimed loudly to her all the bad things I knew about her father. Angelina was reluctant to believe me. But after I told her that it was her father that gave the order to kill a policeman in New York, and that this policeman was my brother, she was finally willing to help me"."We used her car to drive to her father´s villa. While she was driving she stared in the windshield and asked short questions. She wanted to know everything about her father. I tried to answer as best as I could. Angelina´s conception of legality was more morally defined than her father´s. Every now and then she shook her head because the truth sounded so unbelievable to her. A few times I tried to ask her how everything could go on with us. But she resisted answering.We arrived at the villa and Angelina showed me the way to the dining - room where her father made a speech. At a glance, I could tell that he was actually giving that speech for Sonny´s benefit. He was actually telling Sonny about what a great man he himself (Calderone)really wanted to portray himself as. While he left school after only four years, he nevertheless had become a millionaire. I also noticed the two men standing to Sonny´s left and his right who were guarding him"."Then everything dramatically changed. A fight broke out and Sonny reached for a gun. Calderone´s men started firing and Sonny and I returned fire. Angelina was appalled and screamed out loudly. I couldn´t get her screams out of my mind for a long time after this. Calderone was also shooting at me and I´m sure he would have killed me if Sonny hadn´t shot him first. But, in spite of the fact that Angelina had seen everything, she still blamed me for her father´s death", Rico regretted.He continued, "I called my colleagues in Nassau. They came and arrested St. Andrews Island´s police chief who, in fact had been Calderone´s accomplice. Later, when Sonny and I stood infront of the villa, I saw Angelina coming. She had a serious look on her face and walked towards the car that she was taking to the airport. I didn´t want to lose her, so, I walked to her and told her that I thought I had everything under control...everything... but my relationship with her. She was angry and disappointed. She didn´t want to talk. She got into the car and as I saw her disappearing in the distance, I knew that I would never see her again."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: MIAMI - NEW YORK AND BACK

• 2 weeks later...

14. MIAMI - NEW YORK AND BACKWhen Rico returned to Miami he worked tirelessly, leaving the work only when he could no longer keep his eyes open. In his desk he kept a photo of Angelina on the beach of Saint Andrews Island. Sometimes, when he looked at it, he couldn´t believe that she had left him forever.Rico had hoped that he would have been able to explain everything in a better way, but that is not what happened. His wish, that she would understand him, didn´t come true. She was too disappointed by everything. So, now it was over.When he got home his motel room felt overwhelming, both too quiet and too cold. And even though Angelina had never been there, he missed her and wished he could turn back the clock and have opened up to her earlier. But when he thought about it, he knew that she still wouldn´t have believed him.Rico left the motel room and walked to Tom´s bar. Even though some attractive women in tight - fitting shorts and even tighter fitting tops turned their heads and gave him a sexy, little smile, but Rico was oblivious. So, when he entered the bar Tom asked: "A lot of work or vacation?"Rico replied: "A lot of work."They talked for about half an hour while Rico drank a Mojito, but then he paid his tab and left. Feeling restless he thought it might help to walk to the church and pray. While there he met Glenda. She looked into his eyes and as if in pity said: "If you have been on vacation you haven´t rested well."Work had taken over Ricos life. To arrest a bookie named Rusek Rico and Sonny had to summon all of their strength. Rusek was ruthless and had attacked a woman named Barbara Carrow, an old friend of Sonny´s, who owed Rusek a lot of money, that she couldn´t pay. (8 - One Eyed Jack)That was why Rico and Sonny fealt compelled to arrest Rusek.Rico recalled: "To arrest Rusek was harder than riding the Coney Island roller coaster. By midday all my muscles ached."But Rusek wasn´t Rico´s only problem. Sonny had been accused of corruption and Rico had to help clear his reputation. Besides that, Rico had almost had an office argument with his new boss, Lieutenant Martin Castillo. Rico fealt that Castillo wouldn´t believe that Sonny was a honest man.A few days later, Rico almost went after Castillo. When Barbara Carrow was found shot, Casillo had said that Al Lombard, the suspected murderer, wasn´t the only man who could have bought a 22 mm gun.Sonny had to stop Rico before he almost made the big mistake by grabbing Castillo by the throat. Sonny now needed his friend even more than ever because he had been suspended from duty.After starting to work on this case, Rico now had no time to think about anything else not Angelina or even calls to his mother in New York. Rico calmed down his guilty conscience, telling himself that he was just too busy. He only drove to his motel room for a shower, shave and a little sleep. He mainly directed his attention on the gangster Albert (Al) Lombard. Rico and Sonny were sure that he was responsible for both Babara Carrow´s murder and the accusation of corruption againt Sonny. Rico tried to get close to Lombard by using Lombard´s man Vincent de Marco in his plans. He succeeded! Lombard liked "Richard´s" quick wit and business sense.All the hard work helped Rico to get over Angelina. But by the end of the Lombard case, he again found out that not all bad guys get caught. They couldn´t prove the case against Lombard. But Barbara Carrow´s husband, Jerry, had shot Vincent de Marco and was arrested. But Sonny´s reputation was restored.Rico asked Castillo for a few days off. His mother had her birthday coming up shortly and Rico wanted to surprise her with a visit. Castillo agreed, so Rico flew to New York for a long weekend. He visited his father´s and brother´s graves and celibrated his mother´s birthday with her. He also went with her to the church where his father had preached for a long time. While the people there were all still the same, everything fealt different to him.While Rico was there, he met his old colleague Freddy Johnson, who was happy to see Rico again. He asked Rico what he was doing now and Rico replied that he was working now for Miami Vice.While he had planned on visiting the club where the WILD BOYS still played nightly there wasn´t enough time. The long weekend wasn´t long enough to do all he had wanted to do.Monday evening Rico drove to the apartment where Valerie was living, but the lights were not on. So, after waiting outside for about an hour, he left. It would have been better to call first. Maybe she didn´t want to see him. Maybe she was with another man and Rico wouldn´t have wanted to see her coming home with him. Maybe she spent the night in the other man´s apartment. After all, it had been several months since Rico had left. Life goes on and was playing itself out in Miami now.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: WHAT DOES RICO SAY ABOUT VANESSA?

15. ABOUT VANESSARico flew back to Miami and threw himself into his work. Vice had gotten a tip that Louis Mc Carthy, a wealthy man, was a drug smuggler. They suspected that Mc Carthy used his famous "Winner - Gets - It - All" boat race for smuggling. (9 - Great Mc Carthy)"I came into the Department and Sonny told me we would try to capture Louis Mc Carthy," Rico recalled and continued: "He suggested that I could play a wealthy businessman who wanted to participate in the boat race and that Sonny would, actually, himself, race the boat. Sonny tried to give me a short time to catch my breath and relax. But I was breathless anyway when I got to know Vanessa, Mc Carthy´s girlfriend, and the manager of his highly exclusive men´s clothes boutique. Gifford, Mc Carthy´s bookkeeper (and our informant) had told us about Vanessa after we had had a look into his books and found out that Gifford appropriated money - Mc Carthy´s money - of the boutique for her.We believed that Mc Carthy was using the boutique to launder his drug money. We wanted to find out what Vanessa´s part in all it was and we hoped to get closer to Mc Carthy. But, Mc Carthy turned down my request to participate in the race."Rico continued: "Vanessa was a very special woman. She seemed to be cool, eligant, arrogant and she smiled in a mockingly way. She had flirted openly. But when I tried to invite her to dinner she said it wouldn´t be possible. And then she invited Sonny and me to brunch the next day.Mc Carthy was there too, but that didn´t seem to bother her. She still flirted with me as if he wasn´t there. It seemed to me as if she liked to meddle with me and him. She turned me on tremendously. I wanted to be with her and she wanted to be with me.""Mc Carthy invited us to a party in the evening," Rico remembered. He continued: "There, Sonny played billiards with him and won a position in the boat race from him.I looked after Vanessa and fealt jealous when Gifford appeared and dragged her away for a serious talk. But then she came back to me. We danced and kissed on the dance floor, knowing that Mc Carthy was watching. But then Gifford was found murdered. That was the end of the party, but not of the romance."Rico and Sonny drove back to the Department. They talked about Vanessa, Mc Carthy and Gifford. Sonny claimed that Vanessa had had an affair with Gifford. For him that was the only explanation of why Gifford would appropriate money for Vanessa.Rico didn´t want to see it that way because that would mean Vanessa was devious. He couldn´t believe that. So, after he left the Department he drove to her apartment. They had spent the night together. And Rico thought she was in love with him.Rico said: "I saw only what I wanted to see. Mybe I should have seen that she turned her head away after Mc Carthy was arrested. She couldn´t look at him. She was finished with him, but I only thought that she was now free...free for me...but I was wrong."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: VANESSA´S LETTER

• 2 weeks later...

I want to tell you that I appreciate your patience. My cousin who helps me with the correction is a hard working man and so it takes some time to correct.

16. VANESSA´S LETTERVanessa, who recently was released from prison, had sent an open letter:vWhen I got to know Richard Taylor, I thought he was a very interesting man. Since I was the manager of an exclusive men´s clothing boutique that Louis owned, I was able to discern that Richard wore expensive clothes. So, I assumed that it was his fortune that allowed him that exquisite taste.Richard had several pleasant qualities. HE was very attractive. He had money and it seemed that he was attracted to me. That was my talent, of course. I could always twist men around my little finger.My mother and I lived modestly. I never got to know my father, and my mother worked both day and night to make a good education possible for me. I should have had a much better life than she had. I was very young when I found out about my effect on men. So, I decided to use that. I learned as much as possible. I polished my speech and way of moving. Then I searched for a wealthy man and found Louis Mc Carthy. But, after a short time I knew that I wouldn´t be staying with him forever. His risky drug business would bring him down one day. That´s why I began the affair with Gifford. He was crazy about me and was willing to do everything I asked him. I wanted him to appropriate the money and he did. I didn´t want to have to start out with nothing just because the police had confiscated all of Louis´s fortune. I didn´t work that hard to lose everything.When Gifford saw Sonny, Richard, and me standing together at the party he was worried. He dragged me away for a talk and pushed me into coming with him. (As if I would run away with a bookkeeper!) I told him that IF I left Louis I would only walk with Richard Taylor. Gifford laughed at me and told me that Richard Taylor´s real name was Ricardo Tubbs and that he was working for Vice. Gifford also told me that he would trip me up with the things he knew about me. That was the reason that I shot him. NOBODY should blackmail me!I thought that Ricardo (Richard) was so in love with me that he would protect me. He wouldn´t allow someone to put me in prison if anyone found out that I had shot Gifford. I was convinced that there were NO witnesses and I didn´t want to stay in Miami, anyway. I hadn´t noticed one man, Izzy Moreno, who had watched me and Gifford.Richard (Ricardo) and I had spent the evening after the boat race together. Then his friend called and asked Rico to come. I thought he had to work, so, I NEVER thought that his friend would be waiting in front of the house to give him MY gun.It was but only a moment before he rang my door bell, showed me the gun and told me that he knew that Gifford was killed with it and that it was MY gun. I was shocked when he told me that I had to come with him. I couldn´t believe that he wanted to arrest me. He looked so depressed, but he was a policeman through and through. His job was everything to him, and nothing was more important to him than justice.Cést la vie.RegardsVanessaIN THE NEXT CHAPTER: THE WONDERS OF NATURE

I´ve got a little problem and hope that there´s someone who can and wants to help. You see that it always takes a lot of time until a new chapter is posted. As I mentioned, my cousin hasn´t got so much time to correct. He gives his very best, but the time between the posts are too long.So, I want to ask if there´s somebody else who´s interested to help me with the corrections. It would be good if he or she speaks a bit german so that it is much easier to talk if there´s a little problem.Thanks

In principle, yes. It´s a mix of the things everybody can watch in the series and things that come out of my imagination. If you watch the episodes you can see that Rico isn´t always there and I asked myself what could he be doing while the viewers watch what Sonny or any other Vice detectives are doing.This is the attempt to write the Book of Ricardo Tubbs´s life during his five years in Miami.

• 2 weeks later...

17. THE WONDERS OF NATURERico, himself, took Vanessa to the Department. He sadly admitted that even though he had thought that she loved him, he was wrong. While she sat besinde him, cold and unapproachable he was remembering the last moments before he arrested her. She wasn´t really surprised when he told her that he was a policeman. She was only disappointed about her being arrested.She was only using him for her purpose. The same way as he had used Angelina... no, it wasn´t really the same and he dIdn´t want to compare these cases. He would have done everything he could to make Angelina understand that he really had no choice, that it was all about her father, but that it had nothing to do with her. But Angelina never gave him a chance to explain. He looked at Vanessa. She just sat there and stared into the window as if they were mere strangers who had coincidentally sat next to each other in a train.As Vanessa sat at the interrogation room table, Rico leaned against the wall with his arms crossed in front of his chest. He emotionlessly listened what she had to say. She had no kind word for Louis or Gifford. And she avoided Rico completely.The new day dawned when Rico left the Department and drove home. He was feeling bad and wishing that Raphael was there. He could have called him, talked for a while, and told him all about his frustration and disappointment with Vanessa. He could always talk with Raphael. Not when they were children. Then the ten years difference seemed a lot. But, that difference seemed to shrink as they grew older. And now Raphael was dead.Sonny was a really good friend to him. He was a dependable partner and could feel when Rico needed a distraction. But Sonny wasn´t Raphael. Besides that, he had been with Gina when Izzy had brought him the gun he had taken out of the garbage. Rico didn´t want to disturb Sonny and Gina who were on the boat again.Rico bought coffee and fruits and drove home. He knew that he would only have a little time for a short rest and no time to think about Vanessa or anything in the past. That was one thing he liked about his job. It was interesting and demanded imagination and flexibility. But it was also strengous and sometimes really amazing.In one case Rico and Sonny, and their colleagues Stan and Larry had to protect a man named Joey Bramlett. (10 - Glades)Joey was a witness who wa staying in a shelter awaiting the day he was to give testimony in a trial. But then Joey ran back to the village in the Glades that he had come from. Rico and Sonny followed him.In that small village, they had gotten to know the brothers Floyd and Bily Joe Higgings, who had offered to take Rico and Sonny to Joey. But then, Rico and Sonny were kidnapped, beaten up, threatened with guns, and left in the Glades. There Rico got to know some fascinating things about the wonders of nature.They walked around, not knowing where they were. It was hot and Rico was ravenously attacked by mosquitos. Then Sonny told him they should look at the trees because the moss could show them where they were, that the moss always grew at the north side of the trees.Rico listened to his friend with great interest. It was good to learn something new. Besides that, he thought that Sonny, who had grown up in Florida, would know more about the Glades than he, who was born in New York.But Rico could believe that east was to his right...or not? And that west was to his left...or not? He didn´t know. Rico used a very simple gesture to find out the truth. He placed his left forefinger into his mouth and then raised it into the air. Where did the wind come from? He didn´t know. But he did know that he didn´t like snakes. He knew that he didn´t like it if there was no sheet of glass between him and the reptile in front of him, a python, which had wrapped it´s body around a large branch.While they were walking through the jungle, Sonny became unsure of his own statement. The sun seemed to be in the wrong place if moss always grew on the north side of the trees. When he told Rico about that, he began to wonder. Was the sun in the wrong place?But then he looked around because the jungle had reminded him of the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens where all of the mad carnivorous plants grew. He told Sonny about a time when he had given a piece of his hamburger to one of these plants. He was asking Sonny how tall one of these plants could grow. But Sonny didn´t answer, so, Rico got back to Sonny´s allegation."I asked Sonny again about the moss and the sun," Rico said and continued, "I couldn´t believe that the moss at the damned tree showed us the way to the street. Sonny became angry and told me not to blame him if the moss didn´t know on what side of the tree to grow. We were drenched with sweat, were tired and hungry, were bitten all over by mosquitos and were completely irritated.Suddenly, these guys and an elderly woman with guns appeared and directed us, without saying a word, to a boat where a younger woman was waiting. She knew our names, but didn´t tell us hers. She only asked us to go into the boat. Considering that guns were pointed at us we had no chance. But we had really had had enough of all of this."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: ABOUT MOTHER´S AND FATHER´S

• 3 weeks later...

18. ABOUT MOTHER´S AND FATHER´SAfter a short while the woman revealed that her name was Kessy. But she didn´t want to tell more. Sonny got steamed about that and railed, but Rico had enough to deal with his fight against the ravenous mosquitos. The little beasts found his blood very delicious, and the little beasts had apparantly invited all their relatives to both lunch and dinner.Eventually, they achieved the destination, a small house in the jungle. "We found out that Joey only had run away because the bad guy Joey had to testify against had ordered his men to kidnap Joey´s daughter, Tammy," Rico told and continued, "He had sent a photo of Tammy with a message to Joey that Tammy would die if he testifies. Joey claimed he knew that we would follow him, and then he asked us for help.Sonny was doubtful that it could succeed, but I wanted to try. It was about a child and about justice. Besides that, I couldn´t bear Kessy´s desperation. So, we drew up a battle plan. We wanted to surprise the guys when the cocaine, that they were waiting for was delivered in the morning. One of Joey´s men (we called him Pop, but his real name was Clam) had learned about this."Rico continued,"We didn´t sleep that night. Several times we had spoken about the battle plan before we used the darkness to race to the house where Tammy was held hostage. I was worried, but the plan worked. Many drug dealers were shot to death, but Floyd Higgings ran into the jungle. I was really steamed about him, followed him, and when I reached him, I gave him a hook to the chin."Rico told, "Sonny climbed over the roof and into the house to save Tammy. But after this happy - ending we had to hurry. The trial was continued till nine in the morning. So, we only had two hours to take Joey Bramlett back to Miami. But then we arrivd at the closing. A bad accident had happened on the road and had completely blocked it. So, as time had ran late, we thought that we were too late, but we arrived at court in the very last moment."Rico loved his job, but at moments like this he felt his efforts were in vain. Everything was always hectic and they had to hurry from one case to the next. It seemed to him as if dealers never slept. He tried to keep himself in a good shape by eating healthy and exercising by jogging along the beach. But he rarely had time for things like that becuse the next case was always waiting.One day Rico and Sonny visited Noogie Lamont to find out what´s new. Noogie told them about a warehouse on 22nd street where a lot of drugs should be available. There they met a very nervous student named Tom Rickert who was guarding a stash of cardbord boxes with amphetamines and other stimulants. Tom gave them the name and the address of the owner of these boxes: Sally Alverado, 115 Riverside, Noth Miami. (11 - Give A Little, Take A Little)"Alverado welcomed us with fireworks," Rico remembered. He continued,"After this he broke through the garage door with his Bronco, raced through the city and landed in a hot dog stand."This case was very exciting for Rico since Sonny was sent to prison because of disregarding the court order. He didn´t want to name his informant Tom Rickert. Both, Rico and Sonny knew that if Sonny would have given up Tom´s name, then nobody would ever have given them any information again."What we didn´t know was that Alverado had a lot to do with the case that Gina and Trudy were working on. They tried to convict a pimp named Lupo Ramirez who was suspected of giving the order to kill prostitutes," Rico told.At the end of that case Rico had hoped to have one or two days off, but again there was no time. He only had enough time for a few hours of sleep, to go jogging, and to visit the church. Now and again he visited Tom´s bar for a drink or two. One day Tom said," It´s not my business, but I don´t know of anybody as busy as you. You sit at the bar. Your friend calls. And you hurry!"One day his mother´s call caught him just before he had to leave his apartment. "I only want to hear how you feel just before chrismas," she said. Even though she tried to sound merry, Rico could hear her sad undertone and his guilty cinscience sounded to him as loud as a Japanese bell."I feel well," Rico answered as he looked at his watch. Sonny was waiting for him in front of the house. They wanted to give support to Gina and Trudy, who, that evening, tried to contact a dealer named Luther. (12 - Little Prince)"I´m very busy at the moment and seldom at home," Rico confessed. His mother sighed and answered, "I know. I tried to reach you several times and I hear that you´re in a hurry now. I know your job is important."Nonetheless she continued talking for five more minutes and she would have continued talking even longer if Rico hadn´t told her that Sonny had just arrived. That wasn´t a lie. In fact, the black Daytona parked in front of the house.When Rico got into the car Sonny grinned and said, "Ricardo Tubbs is late! I never thought that I would ever experience to that!"But then everything turned serious. Stan and Larry had lost Gina and Trudy. And Rico and Sonny had to hurry to find the ladies. Fortunately they arrived in time to find several junkies in the apartment. One of them was Mark Joergensen Junior. His father was an influental rich man with a team of lawyers to support him. But that didn´t impress Rico."We placed some bugs in the Joergensen´s house and into his telephone. And then Amanda (the red haired engineer) and I listened to Joergensen´s speaches with his girlfriend, Mary Mc Dermit, who had rented a warehouse for the drugs that she and Joegensen wanted to sell," Rico recalled.They found out where the warehouse was and Rico drove there. He broke into the warehouse and found about 150 kilos of cocaine. He showed it to Castillo before he drove back to the Department to bug Joergensen´s calls.Rico had hoped that Jocelyn was working instead of Amanda. Rico liked her and hoped to ask her out on a date. But Jocelyn wasn´t in the office over the next few days when Rico was trying to find a connection between Joergnsen and the warehouse. Unfortunately, Joergensen was very clever. He and Mary never talked openly about the warehouse and the things inside of it.Vice arrested Mary Mc Dermit when she tried to sell the cocaine. Rico made every attempt to tell Mary how silly it was to protect Joergensen, but Mary ddn´t want to listen. She was very polite, but she always told Rico that she didn´t know what he was talking about."That´s the worst," Rico confessed. He continued, "You know that someone harms himself when he wants to be loyal. When he in fact acts dumb, you can´t do anything. You can only try to change his mind. In Mary´s case it was in vain."After Rico had parked his car the next morning he saw Jocelyn coming, but his joy at seeing her only lasted a moment. Then he saw her kissing the man behind the steering wheel of the cat that had taken her to work. So much about his wish to a date with her.But that was only the start of the day. Only an hour later, Castillo ordered Rico and Sonny to come to the crime scene where Mary had been murdered. It should looked like a suicide, but they didn´t believe it.Then Rico saw a police car coming and Mark Joergensen Junior getting out of it. He was appalled and was willing to help the police to convict his father."It was a hard day, but not only because of all the things that had happened," Rico said and continued, "Until that evening we had convicted Joergensen, but when we later wanted to talk with his son we found out that he had left the villa with an unknown destination.I wasn´t used to the warm, southern winters and had some problems with that. Nevertheless I wouldn´t have wanted to change anything because Miami was a great city."

• 3 weeks later...

19. AM EMBARRASSINGLY STORYAfter a shower Rico decided to go to Tom´s bar because he never could sleep after such exciting events. He was too stired up.It was cool in his apartment because of the air conditioner. But when he left the apartment again, it was like walking into a wall of heat. It fealt at first as if he almost couldn´t breath.Rico thought about life in New York. In the last call with his mother, she had told him that it was snowing in New York. But the snow there, as he knew all too well, only looked pretty as long as it was fresh fallen. And then, after a short time, it turned from that pretty white to an ugly grey that towered like monsters over the roadside.Rico walked into the bar where it was much cooler inside than outside, even though there were a lot of patrons there. Jermaine Jackson´s and Pia Zadora´s voices were booming from the loudspeakers inside singing: "When The Rain Begins To Fall", a popular hit song on everyone´s play list all across the country.Rico pushed himself through the crowd. Tom discovered him and grinned. "As usual?," his lips formed and Rico nodded in agreement.A few minutes later, as he held his drink in his hand, he looked around with interest and caught the eye of the woman to his right. She glanced back at him and smiled.It only took one quick look for Rico to know that he liked her. She had light brown shoulder length hair and eyes of deeply pooled amber that gazed at him from a slender oval face while wearing a tight fitting lemon colored dress on her shapely slim body.Rico also smiled as he leaned into her. "Very crowded tonight," he loudly said and continued," I thought most people around here amused themselves by attending Chrismas parties.""Maybe these people are all tourists," she said as she raised her glass. "Jeannie.""Ricardo," he replied as he also raised his glass.They both sipped on their drinks. Then Rico asked,"If these people are all tourists, does that mean that you are a tourist too?"Jeannie smiled and replied," Maybe.""I´ve never seen you in this bar before," Rico said. It fealt to him as if he had heard that more than once before.As she slipped off her stool, her eyes sparkled and the corners of her mouth twitched as she asked,"Do you only want to talk or do you like to dance?"Rico put down his glass and followed her onto the dance floor. Just then a new song began: "You´re The Inspiration" by Chicago.Jeannie wasn´t shy. So, as Rico placed his arms around her she pulled in even closer to him. And so only two hours later they left the bar together. Since then Rico knew that she didn´t live in Miami and was here for business.They went to the mid - priced motel room she had rented. At a glance the receptionist recognized Jeannie. So she quickly smiled as her eyes returned to the television show she had been watching.Rico followed Jeannie to the first floor. The door was barely closed when Jeannie began to nestle into Rico´s arms and started to passionately remove his clothing. As she dragged to the bed, one garment after another fell to the floor and then they fell into the pillows.When Rico awoke the next morning, he found himself alone in the bed that they had shared. He squinted as he recalled the smoldering night before. He had a big grinn on his face as he looked at his watch. It was six am as he called out,"Jeannie?" But Jeannie didn´t answer. So, Rico swung his long legs out of the bed and walked into the bathroom. But there was no tooth brush, no shower gel, no deodorant or anything of a woman.He suddenly had a queasy feeling in his stomach. Rico knew that feeling. It always came when something was wrong. Very wrong.He ran to the wardrobe and tore open the doors. It was empty. On the floor, he found only his own clothes. She was gone!He searched the inside pocket of his jacket and let out a sigh of relief. He had found both his wallet and his money. Fortunately, he had left his gun and badge at home.Rico put back on his clothes. He couldn´t understand why Jeannie had left in secret when she hadn´t even stolen his money. But, no matter what her reasons were, he was even more mad about himself. He didn´t know any more than her first name. And he wasn´t sure that he even knew that it was really her name.When he left the motel room, the receptionist was the same one that was there the night before, only this time she was reading a newspaper."Good morning," Rico said in a friendly tone of voice as he asked the receptionist about Jeannie.She looked at him, smiled, and answered,"Good morning, Mr. Smith."Rico was confused. "Mr. Smith?," he asked.She didn´t reply his question, but instead handed him a bill. "Your wife told me you would know about this and pay this bill," the receptionist told him.Rico looked at the bill. Jeannie had stayed at this motel for five days. But now he was sure that Jeannie Smith was not her name, nor she was living in Atlanta. But Rico knew that he would have to take a lot of mocking in the Department if anyone ever found out about this.He, Ricardo Tubbs was taken in by a swindler!No, he didn´t want to show his weakness. But he couldn´t let this rest either. As time would allow, he wanted to search the files for this swindler. He was sure that there were other men taken in by her and he hoped that they had reported her.Rico looked at the bill again. He paid it and left the motel. Even though it was 6:30 am, it was very hot and he just knew that this was not the beginning of a good day.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: TWO NAIVE BOYS