Ricardo Tubbs: The Big Biography

Christine

20. TWO NAIVE BOYSRico returned home by taxi. And, during the ride, he tried to think about Jeannie. But he was very tired because he barely slept the previous night. Besides that it was hot like hell in the taxi, and the Indian driver´s singing was getting on his nerves.As he mentally reviewed the events of the last evening he became more and more angry at himself. He supposed that Jeannie might have noticed his expensive taylored suit and watch when he walked into the bar. She must have thought that he was wealthy and therefore chosed him.The taxi stopped and Rico paid the driver and even gave him a generous tip. But in reality he was thinking that he should have held back on the tip because of the driver´s painful singing."Have a nice day, sir," the driver said as he grinned."You too," Rico replied.Rico went into his apartment, hung up his coat, took a shower and had something to eat before he drove to the Department. As he expected this day also was very hot."It´s good that you´re both here now," Castillo said when Rico and Sonny stepped into the office. They listened to Castillo´s explanation. "We got a report about a boy. We don´tknow his name. But we do know that he met with some dealers and withdrew a large amount of money in his pocket. Suddenly, the boy changed his mind. He told our informant that he had gotten a better offer directly from Columbia. The deal goes down today. But we don´t know if he´s going to fly to Columbia today or if he´s returning.""How old is he?," Rico asked."He´s just a boy, but he´s old enough to go to prison if he smuggles drugs. Here´s the description. Drive to the airport and catch him," Castillo said.On the way to the airport, Rico and Sonny had arranged for Sonny to observe the desk so that Rico could keep his eyes open at the checkpoint. (13 - Milk Run)But for Rico that was a big mistake. At the checkpoint it was really hot and stifling. Thus, after a short time, he was drenched with sweat. And the heat increased his tiredness.He longed for his air conditioned apartment, a shower, and his bed. But, instead, he was waiting for travellers who had arrived from Medellin, Bogota, and Monteria. He had hoped to find the boy (in case he had already flown to Columbia), but he got disappointed.After the last of the passengers had passed him by it was late afternoon. He walked over to Sonny, who had sat in a very comfortable, air conditioned hall. Rico had hoped to get a rest, but he had barely sat down when the good looking woman at the desk gave them signs.Both Rico and Sonny walked up to her. She told them that the boy, Eddie Rivera, had even bought a ticket to Bogota. But the description Rico and Sonny had gotten from their boss seemed not to match that of Eddie, but rather that of his friend.Rico breathed a sigh of relief because if they could catch Eddie before he bought the drugs, things would only get better. But he was geatly mistaken!Eddie´s friend, Louis Martinez, overturned a table, thus gving Rico a milkshake shower, and the boys escaped.Back in the office, Rico walked to the computer room to search for information about Jeannie. It was shortly before quitting time and Rico felt he could be sure that no one could get an accidential look over his shoulders. But Rico didn´t find anything suited to Jeannie.When he left the room he met Castillo. "Great to meet you, Tubbs," the Lieutenant said and continued, "I´ve got a job for you and Crockett. It´s about an alleged cocaine lab in South Miami. Some people have complained about a weird smell. Keep an eye on it next night!""That wasn´t really my day," Rico recalled and continued, "Sonny wasn´t pleased when I told him about this order. He had been thinking about a common evening on the St. Vitus Dance ... talking...drinking a beer or two. Instead of that, we had to observe an alleged cociane lab. But that was our job."The night seemed to be very quiet. Nothing was happening in the area, so Rico took a nap. He awoke when Sonny hit him on the upper arm. As he winked, he saw some guys arriving at the lab. One of them lit a cigarette and walked into the building. Suddenly, it exploded with a loud bang.Rico ran to the burning house, but he couldn´t get in. He had to wait for the fire fighters to arrive.But only one of the men in the house had survived. Inside the house, Vice had found a statue of Chang - go (a god of the wide spread Santeria Sect in Columbia) filled with cocaine.The morning was dawning before Castillo sent Rico and Sonny home for a rest. And since Rico was exhausted, he didn´t ague against that.But when he came home and hung up his coat the other coat, he had worn the night before, fell to the ground. He picked it up and was surprised to hear something rustling.In the morning, he had only searched for his wallet in the inside pocket. He didn´t pay attention to the other pockets that he had expected to be empty.But now he found a sheet of paper in the right pocket. It was from Jeannie. It read,"IT WAS REALLY NICE WITH YOU, RICARDO. I HOPE THAT YOU ARE NOT ANGRY WITH ME. J."Rico angrily rolled the sheet into a ball and threw it into the toilet. "What a Bitch!," he grumbled as he watched it disappear down the toilet."The story about Eddie and Louis was one of the unforgettable stories," Rico confessed and continued," They´d been friends for ages and both dreamed of a groovy club in New York. They´d saved up some money and hoped to quadruple the money by bying cocaine. But that rarely worked."He revealed," Sonny and I had hoped the boys could escape without a scratch because we were there to help them. But the deal with the drug dealers didn´t go according to the plan. We had to shoot one of them, Diego Moya, to death. His brother, Pepe, had watched everything from the outside and had sworn revenge.We accompanied Eddie and Louis to the airport. We were in a good mood and fooled around. But Pepe Moya followed us and shot Eddie to death shortly before they stepped into the plane. I followed Pepe and shot him also, but for Eddie it was too late," Rico told.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: THE WAY TO CARTAGENA

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Christine

• little miss dangerous

• Sonny-Burnett

• Tony D.

21. THE WAY TO CARTAGENARico told,"The next weeks were very strenuous. I learned some really surprising things about Martin Castillo. He had never spoken about his past until a man, General Lao Li, came to Miami. He ensured that Castillo got a photo of a Thai woman. She was holding a today´s newspaper in her hand and the photo was taken in front of the Miami International Airport." (14 - Golden Triangel Part 1 and 2)He continued,"We visited every new Siamese restaurant because Castillo was sure that there was a connection between one of them and Lao Li. In the last restaurant Castillo and I visited he spoke fluently Siamese with the waitress. I was really amazed. Then he told me that he had lived underground for three years between Siam and Burma."Rico recalled," Lao Li had been one of the drug dealers Castillo had fought against. The woman in the photo, Mai Ying, was his wife. But Castillo thought that she had been killed. When he came home after a hard fight with Lao Li´s men he found only the ruins of his house and no track of his wife." "But now when he had found her, he found out that she was married to another man. She had also thought that he,too, was dead. So, he had only found her to lose her again," Rico regretted.After this surprising case for Rico, and very personal case for Castillo, a special challenge was waiting for Rico. Both, he and Sonny were observing a well known smuggler who was suspected to smuggle particular clean cocaine.One night Rico and Sonny followed the man to South Beach Bridge. Rico watched Morales, a very nervous man, who ran back and forth until a car arrived and someone gave him a bag. Then, Morales ran to the parapet with the bag wen he heard a cigarette boat coming. Then he threw the bag over the parapet. (15 - Smuggler´s Blues)"That was strange," Rico confessed and continued," Sonny and I didn´t understand what had happened on the bridge. Morales had the drugs and gave them to another man without being paid? I couldn´t believe that.""We followed Morales to a boat. We saw lights behind the window and saw someone sitting on a chair. But after Morales rushed in, the boat exploded. Morales surprisingly survived. But he was too injured to tell us anything," Rico told.The next morning Castillo ordered both Rico and Sonny to come to a particular address where he wanted to meet them. Trudy was there, too, and so was also Ed Waters (Lieutenant of the Drug Squad Department).Ed told them it was all about blackmail and that Morales and is family were not the only affected smugglers.(His wife and his children were killed on the boat).Ed had promised to give Rico and Sonny enough money for a big deal. They should fly to Cartagena, Columbia, as drug dealers. Ed had known that everything started there and he supposed that a policeman was hand - in - glove with the blackmailers. But Ed told them also that they shouldn´t expect any cover.So, with a quick look at his partner, Sonny, everything was clear. They knew what they had to do. But, fortunately, Rico had no earthly idea what was awaiting him in Cartagena.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: RICO´S MEMORIES AT CARTAGENA

22. RICO´S MEMOERIES AT CARTAGENARico told," Our pilots name was Jimmy. He owned the plane we wanted to rent. He told us that he would take us to the place we wanted to go. There he would wait for a fixed amount of time and then return to Miami, with or without us.""It was a quiet flight. But, Sonny looked like as if he couldn´t wait for the plane to land. I think he didn´t trust Jimmy´s piloting abilities that much."He continued,"Cartagena was a dumb of a city where humans and animals both dug in the same rubbish that covered the streets. It stank dreadfully.""Our accomodation suited that exactly. Senor Grocero, the man I had to negociate with, seemed nasty and he had a thing for little boys. It´s always hard for me to stay calm when there´s such a disgusting guy in front of me. I didn´t want to negociate with him, but to arrest him. But I was the only one who was arrested."Rico further continued,"On the way back to the motel, we were attacked by some men. But when the police arrived, they didn´t pay attention to the attackers. They grabbed me, pushed me against the wall, and then pushed me into the police car. It was alarming. They first beat me into the car and then out of it at the police station. They didn´t give me a chance to do anything on my own or to explain.""At the police station, they pushed me through the hallway. I passed cells with men in them, only wearing their underwear. The bad smell and the noises were indescribable.""Horrified, I thought they could also put me away. What could Sonny do then? Nothing! He would be on his own. Besides that was my faked résumé pretty good... for a criminal!""Of course, they took away my gun. And I had to take off my shirt and shoes. They probably thought that I wouldn´t run away then. They ordered me to sit down on a chair. Then, they asked me the same questions over and over again through the whole night. They didn´t like my answers and beat me after each answer.""When the new day dawned, all my muscles were aching. I was really thursty, but they still gave me no water.""Then Lieutenant Torro arrived. I was afraid that he could give the order to put me away. I didn´t want to think about that. I asked myself how long it would take for the American government to get me out of this prison.""But then Lieutenant Torro told me that he had read my (faked) résumé. He tought that I was a really bad man and that he would tell Senor Grocero that I´m OK. I couldn´t believe it!""He allowed me to use the wash room after one of his men gave me back my shirt, shoes, and the gun." "Then Lieutenant Torro invited me for breakfast. I wasn´t keen with sitting at the same table with him and having a friendly conversation about the hot weather in Cartagena. Besides that Sonny was waiting for me. But, I had to play my role. So, I stayed until after breakfast."The policeman who had given me back my stuff took me to the motel where Sonny and I had rented a room. I told Sonny that everything was OK, because Lieutenant Torro told me so.""We made the deal with Senor Grocero and drove to the runway where Jimmy was waiting for us. There, some guys tried to steel the drugs, but they didn´t succeed.""On the return flight, I fell asleep. I was dog - tired because of the sleepless night before. And I had also calmed down because everything had went well. But if I had known that Trudy had already been kidnapped (and connected to a bomb), I wouldn´t have slept so calmly.""We recovered the package of drugs from a lake near Miami. Suddenly, two guys attacked us and told us about the kidnapping. But these guys were only messengers. They told me that I had to get half a million dollars and come to the South Beach Bridge in three hours. I should wait for a cigarette boat to come and throw the bag of money into the boat. Otherwise, Trudy would be killed.""We searched for Trudy and found her in a trailer. I continued playing my role as the worried husband while Sonny and Sam (an expert from the Bomb Squad Department) tried to rescue Trudy.""I stood on the South Beach Bridge while connected with Castillo by a radio bud in my ear and waited for the boat to come. The whole time, I asked myself and Castillo what to do. I had only two possibilities, and they were both wrong. If I gave the money to the kidnapper, he would push the button. But, he would do the same if I didn´t give him the money.""Again and again I asked Castillo if Trudy had been rescued. He always said no. I didn´t know what to do. But when the boat arrived, I decided spontaneously to jump into the boat. Maybe I could snatch the radio control for the fuse, or at least it could give Sonny and Sam the time they needed to rescue Trudy.""As I fougt with the kidnapper (who was wearing a diving suit), suddenly he removed his finger from the trigger button and tried to escape into the water. My colleagues fatally shot him. But the big black cloud that was rising into the sky seemed to say that it all was in vain.""When I heard Sonny´s voice in my ear, I was really relieved. I spontaneously thanked God that no one was injured.""Later, the Police Diver´s fished Lieutenant Jone´s body out of the water. He had worked for the Homicide Devision. Ed Waters was stunned. I wasn´t. That doesn´t mean that I approved of his behaviour. Absolutely not! We, the policemen, who worked underground, always risked our lives. Our payment wasn´t the salary we earned... and the pension (provided we lived long enough to get it) was OK, but not big.""In Cartagena there were a lot of moments when I thought that I´d never see the Sun again."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: WHAT DOES STAN SAY ABOUT RICO?

• 2 weeks later...

23. STAN´S STATEMENT ACCORDING TO STAN SWITEK"Rico was a colleague who would have given his last shirt for a friend. You could have asked him for help at unimpossible times and he would have said yes.""He and Sonny often had to fight in dangerous situations...OK, that´s what we all have done in different ways. But Rico and Sonny had to fight in actual jungles...sometimes.""After Rico and Sonny returned from Columbia, I felt very sorry for Rico. He seemed overly tired. His chin was swelled as if someone had hit him. He looked like someone in urgent need of rest.""I believe that nobody would have wanted to be in his shoes on South Beach Bridge when he was supposed to deliver the ransom for Trudy to the blackmailer.""He paced back and forth as Larry, I, and other colleagues could see his desperation. Everything depended on his desicion. And nobody was in any position to offer him any advice.""Time and time again, he asked Castillo whether Trudy had been rescued. I couldn´t hear the answer, but could see the expressions on his face.""About ten policemen were watching him, awaiting his orders and desicion. All we knew was that every desicion would probably be wrong.""We all could hear the cigarette boat coming and could see that the driver was wearing a diving suit. He slowed down and Rico threw the bag over the parapet. Suddenly, he decided to climb over the parapet and jump into the boat.""I saw him fighting with the blackmailer. But just before the blackmailer was killed, I heard the explosion and saw a big black cloud rising into the sky.""I went stiff as I thought all the efforts on Truy, Sonny, and Sam were in vain. But then I had a look into Rico´s face. I saw the great relief that was spreading over his face. RIco was a faithful man and crossed himself to thank God. So, I knew that everything was OK for Trudy, Sonny, and Sam.""I think a lot of Rico´s power sprang from his faith. In his desk, he kept a Bible. And I saw him reading in it several times.""Rico was a happy and optimistic man who didn´t let anything get him down. He was knowledgeable about many things like art, music, and many other cultural things. One could ask him almost anything and it wouldn´t have taken him long to come up with the answer.""But a few weeks after his move to Miami, he made a big mistake. He had asked Larry if he could store some boxes of books in his garage. His mother had sent him these. But, Rico was still living in a motel room. Larry was to store these boxes until Rico could find the right apartment.""I really felt sorry when our cooperation ended after only five years. But we stayed in contact and met several times. Rico had saved my life. But tha´s a completely different story."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: VALERIE

• 2 weeks later...

24. VALERIECastillo ordered Rico and Sonny to take two days off. They didn´t argue with that. Rico used this time to visit Tom´s bar and ask Tom what was new.Of course, Tom asked him if he has heard about what has happened on the South Beach Bridge in the afternoon.Another man interupted and Rico listened to Tom and the man talking shop."It´s always interesting, but always irritating, to listen to other people when they talk (in their opinion) about the mistakes that the police make," Rico told. He continued," But no one can imagine how one feels if he has to make a decision on which someone elses life depends.""Rico was a cop?," Tom asked in astonishment. He still owns the small bar where little has ever changed.He said,"Sometimes he showed up, talked for a while, and joked around. I liked him and I felt very sorry for him when the tragedy with his girlfriend, Amber, happened."Tom continued,"He never drank that much. At least I never saw him that drunk. But I think that was because he was always on call. Therefore, I thought that he must have had an important job.""Several times a guy ( I don´t remember his name) called, asked for Rico, and then he had to hurry. But I never would have guessed that he was a cop," Tom admitted.When Rico came back to the office he saw a woman standing in Castillo´s office and his mood improved. He knew her well. It was Valerie Gordon. (16 - Rites Of Passage)Rico thought she had come to Miami to see him. And he thought that she had come to the office because she didn´t know his home address. But Rio´s ex - colleague, Freddy Johnson, could have told her where Rico was working. Eventually, Rico and Freddy had met a few weeks ago when Rico had visited his mother.But Rico was wrong. Valerie wasn´t here because of him, but because of her sister, Diane. She told him that she had been searching for Diane for about six months, and that she´d been staying in Miami for already two weeks.Rico remembered the evening in New York when he´d been standing in front of the apartment house where Valerie had been living. Valerie didn´t come home that night. Now he knew the reason.Valerie told Rico, rather clearly, that she hadn´t forgiven him his past behavior, but she seemed to be glad to be in his company now.Rico invited her to dinner and she said yes. Rico was in a cheerful mood because of this, even though he knew tha her appearance there had nothing to do with him. But she was there, and he would to everything he could to help her.In the evening, they went to a restaurant. But Valerie only talked about Diane, what she knew about Diane´s jouney, and everywhere she had been searching for her for the last six months.Rico listened to her and asked questions. It was so nice to be with her again and to hear her voice.He hoped that Valerie would spend the night with him. But when they left the restaurant, Valerie told him that she wanted to stay alone that night and then return to New York the next day.Rico understood what that meant. They each had their own life, Rico in Miami, and Valerie in New York.Rico accepted her decision, although he would have been happier if she had decided to stay.But Valerie didn´t want to stay, and she didn´t take the flight back to New York.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: VALERIE AND DIANE

25. VALERIE AND DIANERico picked Valerie up the next morning. He offered her to take her to the airport, but first he had something to do at the office. Valerie agreed and so she rode with Rico to the department."Stan and Larry had secretly shot a film at a pimp´s private party. His name was Dick Traynor and he was tried for two or three times, but he was never convicted," Rico told.He continued," My colleagues and Valerie, who was asked to have a look at the film, had fun while watching that illegal evidence. But then Val saw Diane. She nestled up to a latinamerican diplomat named Marquez. We all were shocked to see her in that video.""Sonny, Valerie, and I visited Senor Marquez. After Valerie had told him that Diane was her little sister he was willing to help us," Rico recalled.With Marquez´s recommandation Rico and Sonny visited Traynor´s next party. There, Rico wanted to search for Diane. But when he finally found her she had used cocaine. Her speech was slow and she needed a lot of time to think about the words she wanted to say and to remember his name.Rico grabbed her and carried her out of Traynor´s house. She shouted for help and hit him. In the Van she shouted angry against her sister until Valerie had enough and slapped her face."It was hard for me to see how the drugs had turned that nice girl from New York into a hellcat. And it was much harder to see how Valerie hit her sister she normally loved," Rico recalled.He continued," I had met Diane several times while I had been living in New York. Diane had always been in a good mood. She was a nice girl with future plans. She had wanted to study law, but there seemed to be nothing left of that girl."Rico stayed with Valerie in the hospital. He held her very cold hand while they were waiting. But when Diane told the nurses to kick out her sister Rico persuaded Valerie to leave.Again, he wished that she would stay with him, but again she turned him down. Rico asked her whether it was a good idea to be alone now, but Valerie answered that she needed time to think about a lot of things.Rico went home alone. He wished that Valerie and Diane would stay in Miami forever. He knew that it wouldn´t be easy with Diane, but he was sure that together they could succeed.He thought about a life together with her and dreamed of renting a nice apartment or a little house on the beach.He knew that Valerie wanted to visit Diane the very next day. He thought at her the whole evening and all the next day while he was at work. The next time he met her, it was for dinner. There Valerie told him happily that Diane had come to her senses. She wanted to return with Valerie to New York and look for a cure for her drug addiction.That night Valerie stayed with Rico who was very happy to hold her in his arms. They talked about the past, but also about a possible future. Valerie didn´t mind moving to Miami because her life in New York was like a treatmill.At that moment Rico was very happy and couldn´t imagine that anything could spoil their happiness.It was only 24 hours later when everything was different. Diane had been murdered and the woman that Rico loved would have to justify Dick Traynor´s (the suspected murderer) death.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: WHAT DOES RICO SAY ABOUT VAL´S ACT?

• 2 weeks later...

26. WHAT DOES RICO SAY ABOUT VAL´S ACT?"Valerie was a cop who had a snow white file, had a lot of stress, and knew somebody in Miami (me) who could take care for her so she wouldn´t have to go to prison. She stayed with me in my motel room while Sonny took care for the official stuff. It wasn´t allowable for me to do that because I was Val´s friend," Rico told.He continued,"I was glad that she was with me, but I wished that she had talked openly with me before the act. Of course, I would have tried to stop her. Especially me!I basically understood her reaction. She had shot Traynor to dead because she wasn´t convinced that Traynor got what he deserved. Traynor owned a lot of money and a lot of his customers were very influential men. They would have done everything to remove their names from Traynor´s documents before the police got their hands on them.""So, who was Diane Gordon from Brooklyn? Noboy!" That was the answer he gave himself.Rico spoke," Traynor would have been released from prison quickly because there was no evidence that he was Diane´s murderer. But, except for my understanding of Valerie´s reasons, I would have said that it was the wrong decision."He continued," She stayed in Miami for three days and we talked a lot about her reasons and how things could have been handled different. We also talked about future plans, but Val said that her home was New York.""Again, I took her to the airport. I promised to visit her and I waited until the plane took off. Then I drove to Tom´s, sat at the bar for a while, and talked with him about harmless stuff like the unbearable heat and the rising crime rate," Rico recalled.When Rico opened his apartment door, he heard his telephone ringing. It was Sonny, who wanted to distract him. He asked Rico if he would like to spend the evening with him and ther colleagues Tim and Dickie.Rico said yes, even though Tim wasn´t exactly his cup of tea. Tim loved to play the Rambo and spoke the same way. But Rico needed the distraction because his apartment seemed both too quiet and too empty. He was afraid that he wouldn´t find sleep because of all the thoughts twisting around in his mind. What luck it was that he didn´t know the ending of that evening!IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: THE BOOK OF HIS LIFE (including an original quotation of PMT)

• 2 weeks later...

27. THE BOOK OF HIS LIFELook deep into the mirror of your soul and discover a wonderful truth,the greatest book you´ll ever know is written and lived by you. (Philip Michael Thomas)Sonny picked him up and they drove to a club where Dickie and Tim were waiting. Both were partner, but as different as day and night.Dickie was shorter than his partner. He was wiry with straight, black hair. He was a joker who always had a suitable saying for every situation. Whenever Dickie appeared, it was always funny.Tim was tall and had a muscular build. His brown, curly hair always looked as if it urgently needed a comb, and his face was loaded with grimly expressions. He loved talking like Rambo and had a walking line like one of those cowboys from an old western movie. Tim often was a cynical hothead.Rico knew that Tim several ties had had problems because of this. On this evening, he also made provocative comments, but Rico ignored them.He had a lot of fun and wasn´t always thinking of Valerie. When the evening finished in the late night he was sure that he was tired enough to find sleep.But things changed from one moment to the next. Rico and Sonny had just shown off how quiet this area was now when they heard the window panes rattling. Someone was screaming.They ran in the direction where the screaming had come from. Rico heard Dickie warn his partner and told him that they´re armed.But Tim pulled his gun. Shots rang out and Rico jumped behind a car. He saw that Dickie fallem down. (17 - The Maze)The guys, who had held up the shop owner had escaped, but Dickie was dead.Rico recalled,"Sonny and I were very angry about Tim. He didn´t reveal his identity as a policeman, but he pulled his gun as if he were the hero in a western.We found out that the perpetrators were three brothers, the Escobars. Until this evening they were only harmless criminals, but now they were cop killers."The Escobars had settled down in an old, dilapidated hotel, the Blue Waters at 7212 San Domingo. When Rico saw the big tetering building his optimism for a quick capture sank.While he was observing the building he had also noticed other people who had found shelter there. He suspected that they were illegal emigrants. But, because these people were living in the Blue Waters, everything was much harder for Vice.Rico drove back to the office and told Castillo about his observations. Castillo asked for suggestions what they could do to catch the Escobars, and Tim made one of his Rambo - like comments. Rico felt uncomfortable because Tim also worked on this case.But he didn´t have time to think about it because Castillo replied that someone who speaks their language should go in the Blue Waters. They chose Rico, the Jamaican."When I walked into the hotel I sang "different pages, different stages, living the book of my life..., I sang this for two reasons. I wanted to calm down my nerves, and I wanted them to hear me coming," Rico recalled.He continued," Just before I reached the Escobars and the eight hostages, Tim, that big idiot, impatiently ran forward. Because of that, the Escobars knew that the police were there."But the Escobars were spread thin because of the Columbian family´s baby´s constant crying. ( That was nerve - racking!)Besides that I watched worriedly the young girl who danced by herself. She didn´t realize that one of the Escobars, Jaime, was also watching her. But it was his older brother who pushed her to another room and attempted to rape her," Rico told.He continued,"The girl´s brother, Georges, was shot to death while trying to help her. I also tried to help her, but ended up tied up on a chair and thrown on my back. But, fortunately, I was still alive.""The guys were really nervous, but Jaime, the youngest Escobar, wasn´t as hardened as his brothers. They demanded a helicopter and $100,000," Rico told.He recalled," "The Escobars had herded their hostages to the roof when they heard the helicopter coming. But they had held me and Jaime behind as they informed me that they were deciding whether or not to shoot me.""A gun was fixed to my right calf, but I could reach it with a little effort. But I had to attract Jaime closer to me and loosen my bonds," Rico said.He continued,"Then I pointed my gun to his nose and informed him that I was a policeman. Unfortunately, I had to shoot his older brother and Jaime and I were almost shot by Tim. What a day!"IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: A EMERGENCY CALL FROM NEW YORK

28. AN EMERGENCY CALL FROM NEW YORKAfter a shower, Rico drove to the department to write his report.Rico told," Castillo was rather picky about that. But, frankly speaking, I was always glad when I could close a file and remove it from my desk. It wasn´t as if there was anything else lying on my desk."Throughout the next days, Rico had time to do his desk work that he hadn´t enough time to finish last time. He also had time to search again for information about Jeannie. Amazingly he didn´t find something about a swindler with a matching description.About two weeks later, Castillo placed a hundred dollar bill on his dsk. Rico was about to say that this wasn´t necessary. He would have said it if another colleague had put it on his desk, but he didn´t say this to his boss."What´s about that?" Rico asked.Sonny had joined them and curiously looked over Rico´s shoulder."It´s counterfeit. Here´s the number of a man you should contact. Unfortunately, we don´t know how many of these counterfeit bills are in circulation," Castillo said.Half an hour later, Rico and Sonny had arranged a meeting for the next day with the counterfeitor, Artie. ( 18 - Made For Each Other)In the warehouse where they met there were piles of counterfeit bills and Sonny praised their superior quality."Then things became dangerous. Our colleagues surrounded the building and Artie had turned on the sprinkler system that was filled with gasoline. His friends shot at us. We had to hurry and rescue ourselves because Artie lit his lighter.We grabbed him and drug him outside while everything in the warehouse was burning. Only Larry was injured. He burned his fingertipps when he had ran into the warehouse to retrievesome evidences," Rico told.Rico returned to the office and found a letter that asked to tell how Georges was killed.Rico thought about the tall black man he had gotten to know in the Blue Waters. Georges was a Jamaican who had come to America in search for a better life. Instead he couldn´t work because he had no work permit. And he had gotten killed because a "little boy" playing with guns.In the meantime, RIco had found out that Georges´ sister´s name was Lilianne. He wondered to himself how she was feeling now. Rico had no earthly idea whether she was still staying in Miami."Oh, Trudy, could you do me a favor?" Rico asked his colleague.Trudy raised her eyebrows. "Another favor?""I promise to make it up to you. It´s about the girl, Lilianne. Her brother was shot right in front of her eyes by one of the Escobars. I want to know how she feels now.""O, sure! Young, pretty, good figure and educated... Should I book a table for you and Lilianne at a restaurant, too?" rudy asked sarcasticly."She´s a child," Rico replied. But Trudy had already left. Shortly before quitting time, she threw a piece of paper on his desk. "She and her parents have left Miami. Is there anything else I can do for you, Ricardo?""Tell me the reason for your bad mood," Rico replied.Trudy snorted. "Men" As sensitive as a furious steam roller!"Rico´s telephone started ringing. Rico uncomprehendingly shook his head as he picked up the phone."Rico! Thank god, that I cought you! I thought that you might have left the office!"Rico frowned. The female voice sounded very hectic and cracked sometimes. He had no idea who she was. "Who´s there?" he asked carefully."I´m sorry, Rico, but I´m completely confused. I don´t know if I´m coming or going. It´s me, Rico, Valerie."Rico started beaming. Trudy turned around, sulking."Val, what had happened? What do you mena when you say that you´re completely confused?"Valerie sighed. "Rico, I urgently need your help. Not necessarily as a policeman, but as a friend."Rico had a look at his watch. "OK, Val, I´ll drive hme now and call you back in about ten minutes. Then you can tell me what hapened.""OK," Val answered.Rico ended the call, put on his jacket, and left the department hurridly. What had happened in New York?IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: FIRST INFORMATION

29. FIRST INFORMATIONWhile Rico was driving home he thought about Valerie´s call. She had sounded like someone in panic. That wasn´t typical for her. So he knew that something really bad must have happened. But what had put her in that state of excitement?Did she lose her job? No, she wouldn´t call him because of that.Had she been involved into an accident? Had she been held up? He didn´t know. But what he knew was that she needed him and that he would do everything to help her.He dialed her number before he took off his jacket. Valerie picked up the phone immediately. Obviously she´s been waiting for his call."It´s me," Rico said. He shook down his right sleeve. Then he wedged the phone between his ear and his shoulder while he was putting off the jacket. "What has happened?""A lot of reports and bills plop through my letter box. Unpaid bills," Valerie explained in panic, but without a connection. "I´ve never been there, Rico...when I was searching... I mena, when I´ve been on the way.""Calm down, Val," Rico told her. He walked to the living - room and made himself comfortable on the aquamarine blue couch. "What kind of bills are these?""Motel bills," Valerie answered with a deep sigh. "Rico, they want me to pay more than $3,900 and...she´d used a different way. If I had known... But I had thought that she was more western...""Valerie, I don´t know what you´re talking about," Rico confessed. Who is more western?"Valerie took a deep breath. "Diane. I´m talking about her way from Chicago to Miami. She didn´t say a word of all of this after I´d found her in Miami. I thought that she went to L.A. or Las Vegas, but I was completely mistaken," Valerie replied and sounded desperate."Try to keep cool, Val," Rico advised. "I ask Lieutenant Castillo for vacation time and I´ll come to you as soon as possible, OK?""OK, if you really want to do that, Rico," Valerie answered."Of course, Val. See you," Rico said and hung up.Rico called his boss. Castillo often stayed late in the office and so it was today. Rico tod him what had happened and asked for unpaid vacation. He didn´t know how long it would take to help Valerie.Castillo said yes and Rico booked a seat in the flight to New York that took off at 5:30 AM from Miami International Airport.He called Valerie to tell her when the plane was scheduled to land in New York. Then he packed his clothes, and thought about the things Valerie had told him.Diane had paid unpaid motel bills...and didn´t speak Valerie about reports?He remembered that Valerie had searched for six months for her sister. Of course, Diane had stayed anywhere she could during that time and she had lived on nothing.Rico confessed that he hadn´t thought about that. After Diane appeared as one of Traynor´s hookers and was killed a few days later, there were more important things to think about than the question where she´d come from.After a restless night, Rico went to the airport. But during the flight, his mind was spinning around. Valerie had gotten reports! Why? What had Diane Gordon done before she appeared in Traynor´s organization? Where had she been? And why had it taken such a long time for the reports to arrive?Rico wished that Valerie had told him more. But she´d been so confused that the call seemed to last the whole night without giving him any important information.When Rico exited the plane in New York, winter welcomed him with all of it´s power. Snowflakes spun around and the icy wind blew past his nose.With his baggage, he left the airport, got into a cab, and told the driver Valerie´s address.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: DIANE´S WAY TO THE SOUTH

• 4 weeks later...

30. DIANE´S WAY TO THE SOUTHValerie looked tired, with big dark rings under her eyes. She had carelessly put up her hair with a light green band and was wearing a multi colored silk bathrobe. She was relieved, gave Rico a hug and kiss, and walked to the living - room."Did you have a good flight?" she asked."Yes, it was OK, but I had forgotten how cold a New York winter could be," Rico answered. He put down his bag next to th couch. On the table, he saw the bills and reports that Valerie had talked about over the phone. He also noticed the used coffee cup, and the turquoise thermos jug, that was well suitable to te pattern of the creme- colored couch.Valerie went into the open kitchen and returned with a cup and a pink sugar bowl."She drove through Indiana from Chicago to Louisville," Valerie told as she filled Rico´s cup. "In the mean time, I´ve sorted the bills."She sighed and sat down in the armchair that was standing to the right side of the couch. "I hope that more bills won´t arrive. It´s odd that they didn´t arrive in the right order. The first letter was from Orlando," Valerie said.Rico sat down on the couch. He took the small pile of bills to look them over. He grumbled," Louisville, Charlotte, Savannah, orlando, and last but not least, Miami.""And reports from Nashville, Salem, and Atlanta," Valerie sighed and gave him the next pile. "Causing a public nuisance, theft, drug possession, and prostitution," Valerie listed and continued,"I have thought that Trynor had been the one that hooked her on drugs and prostitution, but when I look at that..."Again Valerie sighed. "For me, she had always been my little sister. My parents asked me to take care of her and I did. The whole time I ask myself when did things start to go wrong? She had plans, Rico! She had studied hard for her degree, she had always been easy to get on with, and she was happy..."Rico took her hand that was lying o the table and looked into her eyes. "Don´t blame yourself, Val. We can´t steer and direct everything. Diane was nineteen, and by law, of age. You have often asked yourself what Diane had done after she left her friends in Chicago. Now we can trace it. What do you kno about Diane´s stations?" Rico asked."I´m not sure if I really want to know," Valrie admitted. For the umpteenth time, she sighed and replied," What do I know? Diane and her friends left New York at the beginning of March. They drove around and landed in Chicago. From there she called me and asked for money. The transfer is from Thursday, May 19th. Her friends had told me that Diane had left Chicago three days later. She had only wanted to go for a walk as she had done the days before."She continued," The time between May 21st and the end of July is missing. She must have spent it somewhere between Chicago and Louisville. I think she could manage on the money I had sent her until then.""It had started in Louisville," Rico said while looking at the first bill and continued," Twelve overnight stays...unpaid, 1380 dollar."He had a look at the next bill and hesitated. He thoght that Valerie hadn´t noticed it because she was staring at the table as if the polish table top could answer her questions."I have called the police in Nashville," she quietly said and continued," Three days ago. I only wanted to know... the colleague there was very nice. I told him that Diane was dead and that I needed a clear idea about several things.He told me that Diane had been with a woman named Moira Parker. Both were rather stoned and with a man in his Van when they were picked up. He said that Moira had a file in Nashville and that he could list me, without thinking about it, several cities where she had been striking because of theft, prostitution, or drug possession.""That means that iane only joined her," RIco said, drank a sip of coffee and got a disgusted facial expression bcause there was no sugar in his coffee."What a pretty apologie! Diane had made a lot of rubbish and we blame someone else for it. That´s he easiest way. It clears the conscience!" Valerie snorted. Then she calmed down and continued," I wanted to contact the others, but I can´t do it. Therefore, I called you. I can´t listen to them when they use nice words to drag my little sister into the mud."Rico tapped on the seat next to him. "Come to me," he said invitingly.Valerie sat down beside him and Rico took her into his arms.Duing the next week they followed (by telephone) Diane´s path to Miami. They started in Chicago. They suggested that Diane and Moira hitch - hiked to Lafayette (Indiana).Rico and Valerie had called around and, with luck, they found out where Diane and Moira had been living in Lafayette. Mrs. Ryan, the motel owner, only talked nicely about Diane. She had worked as a chambermaid in the Hampton Inn on State Road 26 East. Mrs. Ryan had helped her to get the job. She offered to give Rico the telephone number of the Hampton Inn, but she didn´t want to talk about Moira.Diane and Moira left Lafayette eight weeks later with Louisville as destination. From there, they drove through Nashville, Salem, Charlotte, and on to Atlanta. Only twelve days later, they drove through Savannah, Orlando, and on to Miami.Valerie was right. The colleagues that Rico spoke with on the telephone were very polite and used nice words because they were speaking to mourning relatives. But, in fact, Diane was only a drug - using hooker to them. They all were glad when the girls left town after they were picked up and formally had settled up with everyone.Rico was sure that Diane wasn´t hooked on drugs until she came to Miami. But, he didn´t want to argue with his colleagues.They could negociate that Valerie was only to pay for half of the motel bills because she wasn´t responsible for Moira, only for Diane.Rico did his very best to distract Valerie. They ate posh in the "21" and drank in the "Delirious" and the "Limelight". For Rico, it was a bit like in the past when Raphael was alive and they went out together.Rico hoped this could be the beginning of a new relationship, even though he was spending the nights on the couch. Valerie meant a lot to him and he thought that she had similar feelings for him. For what other reason, should she have asked him for help? She trusted him, and she needed him.After one week, Rico moved from the couch into the bedroom, and his hope for a future together was raised. But Rico didn´t want to stay in New York forever. After two weeks in the cold of New York, he packed his bag for his return to Miami."Don´t you want to come with me, Val?" he asked and continued," You could work in Miami as easily as in New York, but we would be together.""I could do tat, but I don´t know if I could simply pack my bags. I´ve spent my whole life in New York. Please give me time, Rico," Valerie replied and promised," We´ll call."Then she drove Rico to the airport.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: BACK IN MIAMI

31. BACK IN MIAMIThey didn´t talk that much while driving to the airport. Rico thought about Valerie´s words. He had also spent almost his whole life in New York and, in contrast to Valerie, his mother was still living here. Maybe the comaprison was a little inappropriate, because (in the past) Rico couldn´t return.He didn´t know anybody in Miami when he first arrived, but Valerie would know him.Throughout the last weeks, he had often told her that he loved her, and she always answered that she also loved him. But why didn´t she want to come with him?When they finally had to say good - bye, he took her in his arms. "Are you sure you want to stay, Val?" he asked.Valerie nodded and asnwered," I´m sure, Rico.""You know that if you change your mind, I´ve always got a place for you. I could talk with my boss. I´m sure that he could help you to find a job in the Vice - office," Rico said.Valerie stopped his enthusiastic talk and interrupted," I know, Rico. I´m really thankful that you immediately came to New York. I appreciate that you made all the unpleasant calls for me, but I´m not as spontaneous as you, Rico. Whether I want to stay or leave, that is something I need to think about."Rico thought that he had misheard. He repeated," You´re thankful... You appreciate...Damned, Valerie...!"She put her hand over his mouth. "I´ll call you, Rico. Have a good flight." She removed her hand from his mouth, kissed him, and unwound from his arms. Then she turned around and walked away.Rico´s gaze followed her as he heard the finally boarding call for his flight. He turned around and boarded his plane.There was a good - looking woman sitting next to him. He thought that she looked to be in her early thirties. She had nugat colored hair and hazelnut colored eyes. Rico couldn´t see much of her figure, as she was wearing a lilac colored coat.She looked at Rico and smiled. "You´re probably not in the mood to hear this, but I wanted to tell you that I simply wouldn´t have left you," she admitted."In fact, I´m not in the mood for flirting, but its´nice of you that you tell me that," Rico replied as he demonstratively closed his eyes.The difference to New York couldn´t have been more extreme. In New York it was 13 degree, and in Miami it was 75 degree outside."That´s how a chicken must feel when taken out of a freezer and placed into the hot oven," Rico mumbled. He took off his coat, called a taxi, and rode home.Then he called Sonny to hear what´s new. Sonny was satirical as usual. "You mean, besides that I needd a new telephone because Elvis ate the old one?" he asked."A totally new answering machine," Rico said while laughing."That´s not funny! Since then, he´s always belching. You try to sleep while your alligator is belching every five minutes," Sonny complained.RIco was still laughing. "Therse are the joys of owning a pet. What else has happened?""Oh, let me think about it. Switek and Zito could catch some receiver of stolen goods and...oh, I´ve got good news for you, Rico!""I was promoted for my tiredless fight against drugs?" Rico asked with a big grin in his face."No, you don´t have to lug the heavy book boxes if you decide to leave the motel and move into your own apartment one day," Sonny said and he sounded as if Rico was the winner of the lottery.Rico´s grin disappeared. He had stored several book boxes in Zito´s garage until he had found the right apartment."How do you mean that?" he carefully asked.Sonny became serious again. He told, "For Larry, it wasn´t funny. His house exploded in the night before you were flown to New York. What luck that Larry wasn´t at home when it happened. Besides that, we could smash a burglar gang. (19 - THE Home Invaders). That was all. What was going on in New York?"Rico told him what had happened and then he asked Sonny if he was keen about having a drink with him. But Sonny turned down the offer. He hadn´t mentioned that he got to know a great woman three days ago. Her name was Brenda and he was going to meet her in an hour. (20 - Nobody Lives Forever)Rico wished him a lot of fun. Half an hour later, he walked to the church where he met Glenda. The old woman smiled friendly at him. "Nice to meet you, Rico. I hope that you weren´t ill. I was really worried," she said.Rico grinned. "I`ve been on vacation and visited relatives," he replied. He didn´t want to tell Glenda the truth, but it was a good feeling to know that someone was worried about him. But his conscience made him also feel bad because during those weeks that he had been staying in New York, he didn´t visit his mother.Later he went to Tom´s Bar, but it was quiet there. He talked with Tom who vented about the nasty guys who had attacked, tortured, and robbed unsuspecting families."You´re not even safe if you have cameras and alarms," he said while shaking his head. "But at least the police caught these bad guys. They shot these gangsters, but that´s just a drop in the ocean. Where should it lead us to?""That´s a good question," Rico answered as he was slowly drinking his Mojito."Look at these guys! They drive around in their big, fancy cars. They have neither a rich daddy, nor have they won the lottery. They´re rich because they are drug dealers," Tom exclaimed.Rico agreed without saying anything. Eventually, he went home. Some scantily clad girls passed him by, giggling and mumbling to each other and oviously looking him up and down.Rico didn´t pay any attention to them. He was thinking about Valerie. How much time would she need to make a decision? And would she decide for or against him?Once home, he immediately dialed her numer, but she wasn´t at home.The next morning, everyday life brought him back to normal. Sonny was in a very good mood. Rico thought that was because of Brenda.Smling, Gina caressed his arm. She said," Nice that you´re back. Everything OK with Valerie?""Yes," Rico claimed."Have you heard that Larry´s house burned down?" Stan asked."I heard about it. I feel sorry for you, Larry," Rico said as he filled his cup with fresh coffee. then he asked," Where are you living now, Larry?""I feel sorry for your books, Rico. I´m living with Stan now," Larry told.Rico sat down, put his feet on his desk, and blew over his hot coffee. "You´re living with Stan? He, Stan, what does your girlfriend (what was her name?) say about that?" Rico wondered."Darlene and I´ve separated," Stan replied. Rico didn´t ask for more.A rare littl smile appeared in the corners of Castillo´s mouth when he met Rico, ut Trudy only said," Hello, Rico."She threw some files on his desk."What´s that?" he asked."We call them files," Trudy pertly replied. Then she left the office."I don´t understand women," Rico mumbeld as he shook his head.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: PANIC IN THE DISCOTHEK

• 2 weeks later...

32. PANIC IN THE DISCOTHEKRico took a look at the first file. Zito passed by and curiously looked over his shoulder before sitting down at his own desk."I heard about that, but I don´t know why Vice should take care for it. These three guys steal cars and abandon them as soon as the tank is empty. And, they startle other people with a rifle dummy," Larry told. Then he raised his hands and admitted,"Maybe it´s a real gun. The witnesses didn´t know and, unfortunately, we have no description of these guys. The witnesses were alwas in shock and hadn´t memorized what the looked like. Besides that, most people couldn´t describe their mother well enough that someone else could recognize her.""Where did you get your information from?" Rico asked as he closed the file."From the colleagues of the Robbery Division," Larry answered.Over the next two weeks, Rico had to do a lot of normal stuff. He had to do his desk work and, together with Sonny he had to get some dealers off of the streets. He and Sonny only met during work hours because Sonny spent all of his freetime with Brenda.Rico understood him well (even though he hadn´t actually met Brenda). It was great to have fallen in love, but he was also envious because Valerie was still living in New York.Eight times, he called her, but he only reached her three of those times. He wanted to find out if she had decided what she wanted o do. She blocked and told him that she had a lot to do because of a new case she was working on. She asked for him to have more patience."I wanted to be more patient, wanted to wait till she found out what was important to her. She was very important to me, but I didn´t want her to come to Miami just because I asked her to do so. You only can be happy in a place if you really want to be there," Rico told.Rico had spent the evenings on his own. He went jogging or visited bars if he and Sonny hadn´t to observe somebody, or have a look at Gina and Trudy. Sometimes he asked Sonny if he waned to go fishing or go out for a drink, but Sonny always said no.One day Switek called Sonny on his car phone. "The three clowns have struck again," he said."The clowns? Switek... are you OK?" Rico asked worriedly."I´m talking about these three guys who steal cars, threaten people... do you remember? Larry told me that their file is on your desk," Stan replied nd continued," The three guys stole a car, drove around and startled a man in his Pick - up truck. Maybe you remember that the witnesses claimed that they only use a rifle dummy, but they were mistaken. They had shot at the man in the Pick - up truck. He was so shocked that he steered the vehicle into the water. After this, they drove to the beach, attacked and killed a bookie, and shot at one of Morgan´s snackbars. It looks horrible."While they were driving to the beach Rico told Sonny about the things he had learned more about. Then he asked," What about fishing tonight?"Sonny smiled in regret. "I´m sorry, Rico, but I have a date with Brenda."For Gina, Sonny´s relationship with Brenda wasn´t easy to cope with. We all knew that she was in love with Sonny, but, I think that his feelings for her weren´t as deep as her´s for him. Otherwise, he wouldn´t have fallen in love with Brenda," Rico told and continued," Of course, she had asked me about the relationship between Sonny and Brenda, but what should I have said about it? Gina could see by herself what was going on with Crockett. His mood was almost effusive. When he was in the office, he was always looking at his watch because he couldn´t hardly wait quitting time. In the past, it had never been a problem if he was asked to work longer, but now, he was always in a hurry to leave. Brenda had changed him."One evening, they had to inspect a discothek. Someone had told them that the three guys had been hanging around that discothek the night before.Sonny disliked that order because it meant that he couldn´t meet Brenda. Rico wasn´t happy, either. He had tried to call Valerie, but again, she was unreachable.Sonny had parked the car close to the discothek. But, when they were passing by a pay phone, he asked Rico for some coins to call Brenda.Rico walked alone into the discothek. It was crowded. The volume was almost deafening as Madonna sang "Material Girl".Lights were flashing as Rico was pushed forward as he was trying to look at something. But it was almost impossible. The air was filled with smoke and the flashing lights impaired his eyes.Suddenly several girls started screaming as shots rang out and the multi - colored lights burst into fragments that shot around like bullets. Now, everybody pushed towards the doors and Rico found himself squeezed against a wall. He shouted,"Police!" But nobody heard him. His voice was muffled by the screams of the panicking people.Rico had no other choice than to shoot into the air if he didn´t want to be crushed into the wall.Then he recognized the guys. They passed by him through the alley that the people had opened for them.Rico pushed aside a girl with her back squeezed agianst him. He regretted that he had to treat her so roughly, but he was in a hurry. He had to follow the guys. Again, h shouted," Police! Go away!"Rico left the discothek. It was easy to find the direction in which the three guys ran. He only had to follow the sounds of the shots and the screams. He heard an engine roaring. The car the guys had stolen in the morning raced down the road with tyres screeching.Rico realized that Sonny had come up behind the Daytona. "Are you OK, Sonny?" he asked.Sonny nodded. He looked at the pay phone and discovered the hanging receiver. "Just a moment, Rico," Sonny said."OK, I tell the colleagues now the direction in which the bookie - killers have disappeared," Rico answered.Castllo ordered them to come back to the office and help the sketch artist to make a composite sketch. Sonny joke around, but Rico was sure that he only was trying to hide his guilty conscience.Whithout saying, Rico apologized Sonny´s behavior. Sonny only wanted to hear the voice of the woman he was in love with. Sonny was his friend and partner and normally he could trust him implicitly. But nobody could have predicted about the evenings end.Castillo sent them home for a little rest. Later, Rico and Sonny wanted to search for Izzy Moreno. Izzy always knew what was going on and he knew a lot of people at the scene. They were sure that he could tell them where the bookie - killers were now.Rico walked into his apartment. He was tired, but also relieved that the guys hadn´t caused a bloodbath at the discothek. Some customers were slightly injured because of the fragments that had fallen from the ceiling.He saw the flashing light on his answering machine. When he pushed the playback button, he heard Valerie´s voice...IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: DISAPPOINTMENTS

• 4 weeks later...

33. DISAPPOINTMENTSValerie said,"Hello, Rico. Actually, I wanted to tell you personally about my decision. But, maybe, it is better this way. You´ve done a lot for me and you were there when I needed you. I´ll never forget that, but, nevertheless, I have decided to stay in New York. My home is here and my friends are here. I know that you hoped that I move to Miami, but I know that my decision is for the best."It got quiet. Without thinking about it Rico started dialing Valerie´s number. He wanted to talk to her. He wanted to ask her if all her promises had been lies. But Valerie didn´t pick up the phone. He hung up when he heard Valerie´s voice on the answering machine. He was disappointed that their relationship had ended that way. That wasn´t what he deserved.Four hours later, Rico met with Sonny. He hadn´t slept well and had tried several times to call Valerie, but without success.When they caught up with Izzy the man knew that they wanted to know everything about the three guys.Unfortunately Izzy didn´t know much about them. But while they were talking with Izzy, Rico noticed that Sonny´s thoughts seemed to be elsewhere.He was probably thinking about Brenda."If I had the choice, I would have handed the case to someone else," Rico admitted and continued,"The whole time, Sonny was thinking about Brenda. In the beginning, I took it with humor and searched for apologies. But, step by step, I had had enough. I wasn´t sure how much I could count on him in a serious situation. I was worried.In the disco, I had a lot of luck, but things could have turned out differently. I wasn´t keen about ending up with a big hole in my head because my partner was dreaming about his girlfriend. I told Sonny about that and recommended for him to take some days off to get over Brenda."Sonny agreed and on the weekend Rico worked with Stan and Larry, roaming the disco´s in search for the bookie killers.Every now and then, Rico thought about Valerie, but immediately pushed the thought aside. He flirted with some girls and sometimes danced with them. Even Stan and Larry tried to dance. That looked funny.The guys first appeared on Sunday evening in a fast - food - restaurant named "JJ`s" where they shot two men to death who worked for the snack bar owner Morgan.Izzy had called Morgan because Morgan had said he would pay $1000 to everyone who gave him any information about the three men.Sonny was back. Rico asked him about the weekend, and Sonny invited him to breakfast the next morning so that Rico should make his own impressions. Sonny believed that Rico could then understand him better, but Rico didn´t believe it.When he got to know Brenda, his feelings were confirmed. Her style and her way of talking and living was absolutely different that Sonny´s way of living."I was polite and joked around, but when Sonny left the room for a moment I asked her for her imagine that a lot of policemen, their wives, and children were on her deck.I asked her how many department barbecues and badminton games she would participate in," Rico told and continued," Brenda didn´t answer, but her angry look told me that she understood. We would never be friends."Castillo ordered them to observe Morgan´s company because Izzy had claimed that the three bad guys had it in for Morgan.While Rico was sitting next to Sonny in his Caddy, he was thinking about Valerie. He was still disappointed, but he wouldn´t run after her. There were a lot of beautiful girls living in Miami. He thought about Jeannie, but immediately pushed this thought out of his mind. There were also many honest girls living in Miami.It was a very quiet day. In the evening, Rico invited Sonny over for dinner. But Sonny turned the offer down. He would meet with Brenda. he and Rico would meet again at six AM.Rico drove home. He had something to eat, changed his clothes, and then drove to the beach to jog.He ran since he was drained of energy. After that, he fell asleep as soon as his head barely touched the pillow.At the next morning, Rico was on time as usual, but Sonny didn´t appear. Sonny was often a few minutes late, but this morning it was 15 minutes... then 30 minutes.Suddenly Rico noticed moving next to the car""They didn´t give me the possibility to show them my badge," Rico recalled. "They were two men and one had an iron bar and he hit me with it. I could only raise my hands to try to protect my head. I shouted that I´m a policeman and asked if they were crazy. But I don´t believe that they heard me. I felt the blows on my head, my face, on my hands, arms, and on my left shoulder. I thought that I would die."He continued,"Suddenly they stopped and ran away. I was lying in my car, not knowing if I was dead or alive. My whole body ached. My head felt as if it wanted to explode, and I could feel the warm blood running over my face. I moved carefully and found that nothing was broken. My anger increased. Sonny and I had wanted to meet at six, now it was 7:15 AM and Sonny was still missing.My best friend and partner amused himself, probably with Brenda while I was almost beaten to death. I used my hanky to carefully wipe away the blood. Then I drove to Brend´s house. I was very angry and disappointed and these feelings increased while driving.""The Daytona was parked in the driveway. I walked up the stairs to the front door and rang the doorbell. Only a moment later, Sonny tore open the door. He looked horrified when he saw my face, but that wasn´t enough for me."Rico returned to his car and drove to the office. Trudy, who met him first, was also horrified. She asked him if he wanted her to see to his injuries and Rico took her up on her offer.Then Castillo walked into the office. He wanted to know what had happened, how it could have happened, and where Sonny had been. Sonny, who arrived at the same time as Castillo, admitted that he had overslept.Rico didn´t look at his partner, and in the meeting room he also turned his back to him. The trust between Rico and Sonny had gotten a little rift in it. Castillo noticed that there were tensions between them and gave Rico the order to work with Switek and Zito."We needed two days to set trap for the bookie killers. During these two days, I kept out of Sonny´s way. But, eventually, Sonny put it right," Rico told and continued,"We waited for the guys on the beach. I played the bookie who was playing the saxophone while waiting for customers. Zito was waiting in the snack bar, Trudy was, apparantly, sun - bathing, and Switek observed everything.When the guys arrived, we shot two of them, but the third one chased me by car all over the beach. Again, I was afraid that this could be the last day of my life. But then Sonny appeared, shot the last one, and then asked me (grinning) if I would like to go fishing with him. Then I knew that he had come back to his senses."They spent the evening together on the St. Vitus Dance. They drank a beer and Sonny listened to Rico when he told him about what had happened in New York."Moira Parker, maybe we should memorize that name. Seems to be a very nice darling," Sonny sarcasticly said."Certainly," Rico agreed. He turned his head to look at the twinkling city lights. For a moment, he asked himself what he would have done if Valerie would have asked him to return to New York forever. He immediately knew the answer. He wouldn´t have left because his home was Miami.It was late when Rico left the St. Vitus Dance to drive home. He listened to Tina Turner´s latest song "Private Dancer" as he hummed the melody. But then he noticed her...IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: ALMOST CAUGHT!

• 3 weeks later...

34. ALMOST CAUGHT!She was standing at the bar of a coffee - shop and joking around with the young salesman. Rico, who had stopped at a red traffic light, was absolutely sure that it was her, even though he could only see her profile.Behind him, somebody sounded his horn. Rico squinted and noticed that the lights were green now. Spontaneously, he indicated right and looked for a parking lot. He was determined to catch her and ask her some very uncomfortable questions.Rico found a parking lot about 150ft far from the coffee - shop. The injuries in his face tensed, prickled, and throbbed more and more because the effects of his pain - killers were wearing off.Rico jumped out of his car. He ignored the pain and ran back to the coffee - shop. She had disappeared! Her space at the bar was empty. He ran to the street corner, looked in all directions, and returned to the coffee - shop."The woman, you were talking to just a minute ago...," Rico said.The young man walked up to him and while drying his hands at a white cloth he asked," Yes?""The woman, you were talking to... Where did she go?" Rico asked.The young man shrugged. "We talked, I gave her the coffee she ordered, and then she left.""Have you seen her before?" Rico wanted to know as he looked around. Maybe she appeared again and then he wanted to catch her.The young man regrettfully shook his head. "No, I´m sorry. I´m sure I would remember such a nice girl."Rico thanked him. He returned to his car and mumbled," Yes, Jeannie is a woman one can´t forget."Rico didn´t feel well the next two days. He covered the multi - colored bruises and some of the swellings behind his sunglasses when he left his apartment. Castillo ordered him to do deskwork because outside he would only startle other people.Again, Rico searched for a swindler, matching to Jeannie´s description. But again without success. Was it possible that she was always successfull with her trick? That not one man, who was taken in by her, reported? That´s what it looked like.After one week, Castillo allowed him to work outside again. He and Sonny had to observe a warehouse where a little arms deal should conclude.The colleagues were waiting two blocks far away, awaiting the start signal. But when the gangsters hardly found out that the police was there, the warehouse turned into a battlefield. (21 - EVAN)An amoured sedan broke through the warehouse doors and hit a police car. The policemen jumped off the car and escaped, shortly before it exploded, but the sedan also escaped.Rico told," Later that day, Stan could identify the arms dealer Guzman. Sonny contacted him immediately and told him that he was interested in the Mach10´s Guzman wanted to sell. The arms dealer made an appointment with "Burnett" and three days later we met with Guzman in the Villa he had rented.We were negociating with Guzman when a guy jumped down the stairs. Immediately, he started beefing at Sonny. I could feel the tensions between them. His name was Evan.When Sonny and I left the house, I told him that I would be pleased to arrest that guy, Evan. Sonny answered that we wouldn´t pick him up because Evan was a policeman.Then Castillo called on the car - phone and ordered us to come to the office. There we got to know Wilson from ATF. He wanted to know who Evan Freed´s old playmate was."Rico was disappointed. He thought that Sonny ought to tell him more about Freed. Eventually, they weren´t only partners, but friends. He had hoped that the last occurences had made this clear. But now he knew that the little rift in their trust hadn´t disappeared.Then Sonny asked his boss for a face - to - face speech and Rico´s disappointment increased. Could he work furthermore with Sonny under this circumstances?IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: ABOUT EVAN

• 3 weeks later...

35. ABOUT EVANRico was sitting at his desk, and every now and then he looked to Castillo´s office. He didn´t understand Sonny. Why didn´t he talk with him about Freed? But when Sonny angrily left Castillo´s office, and Rico asked him what was going on between him and Freed, Sonny didn´t answer.Before he drove home Rico asked Gina for help because of Freed. Later, he stood by the window in his apartment and looked to the city that was always busy.He had thought that everything was OK between him and Sonny. They had never talked about the things that had happened at Morgan´s company and Sonny´s decision because of Brenda.Rico wanted to forget all about that. Everybody makes mistakes, and anybody could have overslept. Even though (in this case) it had hurt him a lot. But this thing with Evan was different.Rico met Gina when she left the copy room the next morning. Together they walked to the office and Gina told him about the results of the investigation about Evan. Evan, Sonny, and Mike Orgall, another policeman, had worked together until Orgall was shot while on duty. After Mike´s death, Evan wanted to be transferred and reported to every possible suicide command.Rico thanked Gina and told her that he owed her a favor."Rico and Sonny permanently appeared and asked Trudy and me for a favor. If I had a dollar for every favor, I´d have a fortune," Gina said while laughing.Rico wanted to ask Sonny for information about Mike, but he didn´t get the chance. When Sonny appeared in the office that morning, he mumled," Eight p.m. at the scrap dealer´s depository." Then he sat down at his desk and didn´t pay any attention to Rico.In the evening, when they were on the way to the scrap dealer´s dispository, Rico asked Sonny about Mike. Sonny flipped his lid. He shouted at Rico that he wasn´t his father confessor and that he wouldn´t reveal his soul to Rico.Again, Rico was disappointed. He didnt want to argue with Sonny, but he watched him and Evan. Something was going on between them, ut he didn´t ask Sonny again.Without a word, they returned to the headquarter´s parking lot. Rico got out of the car, slammed the door, and drove home. But he didn´t want to hang around, brooding about Sonny. Therefore, he walked to Tom´s Bar. Tom´s wife, Helen, was working behind the bar that evening.Rico and Helen smiled at each other.Then he discovered Michelle. She was with some friends that Rico also knew because they visited the bar frequently. Michelle was a good looking woman and Rico liked her. But, in the past, when they had met she´d always been with a man. Now she was alone and Rico used his chance. He danced with her, tried to impress her with his knowledge of French, and ordered a bottle of champaigne. Eventually, she said yes when he suggested for him to take her home. She only saked for him to wait a minute for her so she could tell her friends that she would be leaving now.Sonny arrived while Rico was awaiting Michelle´s return. Rico´s mood sank."Sonny´s timing was absolutely lousy," Rico said while laughing. He continued," It wasn´t the first time that he spoiled a date for me. Sonny wanted to talk, but I didn´t want to make it easy for him. But then I saw his almost desperate look. When Michelle returned, I apologized and rode with Sonny to the gas station where Mike Orgall was killed."Sonny told him that he, Evan, and Mike were friends for ages until Mike revealed that he was gay. From that day, Evan always scoffed at Mike and the department looked for any possibility to get rid off him.When Mike had stopped the armed, stoned guy at this gas station, he knew that the guy would kill him.Rico listened. He understood that Sonny reproached himself and, therefore, didn´t want to talk about it.Rico recalled, "I told him that he wasn´t to blame for what had happened. He was young and unexperienced. Wherefrom should he have known what to do? But, I was glad that Sonny had told me about that and that everything was now OK.My good mood increased when I discovered an advertisment for an apartment with a balcony in a rather new apartment building. It was close to the motel where I was living. While I was talking to the estate agent, Sonny had a talk with Evan who reeled into the office the next morning. Unfortunately the apartment was already rented."Evan ordered Rico and Sonny to come to the shipyard by midnight. After the afternoon meeting with Castillo Rico wanted to ask his boss for the money ($120,000) that they needed for the arms business. Castillo was talking to someone on the phone and as he was giving Rico signs to wait Rico heard him saying that the summons should be given personally to Lombard. Then he hung up and told Rico that he could go and get the money even before Rico could ask him about that.Eventually, Rico and Sonny drove to the shipyard where their colleagues were watching them from their hiding places. After Guzman and Evan appeared, and the money bag and weapons were standing in front of them, Stan, Larry, Gina, and Trudy appeard in uniform. They made a big show of it, and Rico had a problem hiding his grin.After they disappeared with the money ad the weapons, Guzman was at a boiling point as he returned to his sedan while Rico and Sonny were walking away. Rico and Sonny were nervous while Sonny turned his head to look at Evan. Therefore, he noticed that Guzman was aiming his gun at him as Evan threw himself into the line of fire.Rico and Sonny pulled their guns. Shoots rang out and as Rico was hiding behind a wreck he saw Evan breaking down and Guzman dying of one from Sonny´s bullets.While Sonny was holding his dying friend in his arms, Rico stayed in the background. Later, he and Sonny watched as Evan was put into the black body bag."What about some margaritas?" Rico asked.Sonny nodded. "Good idea. Let´s drive to the boat," Sonny replied and as they were walking to the Daytona, he continued,"It would be great to have some days off to fish and sit in the sun.""I don´t think that Castillo will give us some days off," Rico answered and got into the car.Sonny started the engine. "Do you know something I should also know?" he asked.Rico grinned and said, "Maybe."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: THE GANGSTER LOMBARD

• 4 weeks later...

36. THE GANGSTER AL LOMBARDLater, when they were sitting on the boat(with a drink in their hands) Rico told Sonny about Castillo´s talk on the phone."Lombard!" Sonny snarled and snorted with rage. "Are you sure that it was about Lombard?"Rico nodded as he was watching the city lights. He knew that mere mention of the name, Lombard, cause Sonny´s stomach to ache. For a moment, Rico asked himself if it would have been better not to talk about the summons for Lombard. But he thought that he and Sonny had to accompany the court official when he took the summons to Lombard.When Rico returned home, he noticed the flashing light on his answering machine. When he pushed the playback button he heard his mother´s voice. She told him that she only wanted to hear how he was feeling. She sounded disappointedly, but not reproachfully. She told him what was new, who got married, and who died before she said that he could call her sometime."I´ll call her tomorrow," Rico mumbled.But during the next days Rico had no time to call her. He and Sonny observed a middle - level dealer, but couldn´t find enough evidences to arrest him. He always returrned home too late to call his mother.Then Castillo ordered them to accompany the court official to Lombard´s yacht. He was summoned to testify against a man named Frederico Lebrizzi. ( 22 - Lombard)"Lombard had no chance to escape off that case," Rico told. "If he testified, Lebrizzi would make meat of him, but if he didn´t testify, he would go to prison because of disregarding the court. Sonny preferred the meat - version because Lombard was responsible for the murder of Sonny´s friend, Barbara Carrow. But LOmbard was never tried for that because of too little evidences."During the next days, Rico and Sonny took turns with Stan and Larry to prevent Lombard´s disappearance and prevent him from being killed.On the third day, Rico woke up when the phone started ringng. He received the call and learned that someone had shot at Lombard as he was leaving a restaurant. He was in the Biscayne General now and Castillo ordered Rico to drive there.On the way, Rico stopped by Nick´s coffee shop to buy a coffee to drink while driving to the hospital. When he arrived at the ward, he found that Lombard was still being treated.Rico sat down in the waiting- room. Only ten minutes later, the nurse behind the reception desk waved the telephone. "Detective Tubbs? It´s for you."It was Castillo. He gave Rico the address of a warehouse where he should meet Sonny as soon as he knew everything about Lombard´s injuries.Rico told,"Lombard wasn´t badly injured, so I left the hospital to drive to the warehouse that was owned by Lebrizzi, but destroyed by a fire, probably ordered by Lombard. A war between Lombard and Lebrizzi was the last thing that Miami needed. We decided to ask Augy, one of Lombard´s men. It was suggested that we might find him at the dog race track. And there he was. He praised Lombard as a honest man, but claimed that it would have been better if he had left Miami for a long time."While driving through the city Sonny said,"I´m curious how long Lombard can hold out. Either Lebrizzi´s men kill him or..."Rico didn´t listen. He stared out of the window at two women on the other side of the road that were talking with each other.Suddenly Sonny hit him on the upperarm. "Hello, Rico! Where are you with your thoughts?" He also looked out of the window, but didn´t see anything special.Rico had thought about Jeannie. She had disappeared and, of course, he couldn´t talk with Sonny about her. That occurance was too embarrassing. But he asked himself why he had seen her several times, but never could catch her."In the evening, we saw Lombard leaving his yacht with several bags in his hands. We followed him and thought that he was on the way to the airport, but he drove to a building site. Then we knew that his own men had lured him into a trap," Rico told. "We rescued him and took him to an unhabitated estate called FLORIDA VILLAS. In the evening, he cooked an Italian meal for us. I never would have expected that he was such a great cook and if I hadn´t known that he was a gangster and murderer, I would have liked him."He continued,"The night was very uncomfortable. There was only one queen - sized bed in the very small house and it was pleasant to lie next to Lombard. He was a troubled sleeper and he snored.The next morning, I felt dead beat and did some exercises to boost my circulation. At that time we thought that we had to stay in the FLORIDA VILLAS until the trial.About half an hour later, Lombard asked to take a walk. Shortly after we left the house, a truck broke through the road block at the entrance. We pulled our guns, shot at the gangsters, and nobody was watching Lombard. He used the confusion of the shoot - out to disappear.Angrily, we searched the whole day for him. When we finally found him late in the evening he was with his son, Sal.The next hiding was on the St. Vitus Dance that Sonny had steered out onto the ocean so that there was no possibilty for Lombard to escape.We stayed on the boat for two days before Lombard was taken to court. And for what? Lombard refused to testify and after a deposit of two million dollars, he left," Rico told.Fifteen minutes later, Rico opened the apartment door. He looked over his mail and put it on the sideboard.Fifteen minutes later, Rico was sleeping. He was very exhausted. Then the telephone rang and woke him up. "Marmot ward," he mumbled."Mumbling is finished, partner!" he heard Sonny´s voice. Then he told Rio an address outside of the city before he hung up.Rico sighed. Why couldn´t dealers let him sleep for only a few hours? But the thing Sonny wanted wanted to show him was absolutely different.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: NO NICE SURPRISE

• 3 weeks later...

37. NO NICE SURPRISEHurriedly, Rico left the apartment and raced through the city. He stopped at Nick´s Coffee - Shop and ordered coffee black (a bowl with sugar cubes was standing on the bar).Nick propped his forearms on the bar since he wanted to talk with Rico, but his mother, Chloe, called out for him. Rico wasn´t upset about that because he was in a hurry. He paid for the coffee, put two sugar cubes in the paper cup, ad left.He drove out of town to a lonely beach. From the distance, he could see a column of smoke rising into the sky. A bit later, he reached a road block that was opened for him after he showed his badge. Rico parked the Caddy behind the Daytona, took the paper cup, and walked down a little hill. From there, he could see why Sonny had called him. There was a car sitting in the sand... at least that what was left of it. A fire had destroyed most of it. Foam covered the once dark blue Mercedes.Rico drank a sip of coffee as he waited for Sonny to join him. "For whom were that fireworks?" Rco asked when Sonny arrived."Lombard," Sonny answered as he showed Rico a badly dented license plate. "It belongs to Lombard´s car. We´ve already checked it.""What´s with Lombard?" Rico wanted to know.Snny took a deep breath and turned his head to a colleague who squatted at the ground. "No track of him, but of another vehicle.""Lebrizzi?" Rico asked as he was also looking around, even though he didn´t expect to see Lebrizzi. "I think we can assume that they had given him some uncomfortable concrete shoes."Castillo joined them and ordered them to drive to Lombard´s yacht to observe it."Lombard is dead," Sonny said.Castillo looked at him with his typical look as he asked,"Sure?""Sometimes Castillo almost gave me the creeps," Rico admitted. "But he was the boss. He gave the orders and we obeyed them. We bought fresh coffee and obeserved the yacht, but nothing happened.""Who discovered the burning car?" Rico wanted to know while sitting with Sonny in the Daytona and listening to Chaka Khans "This Is My Night"."An anonymous caller. Female. Excited. She thought that someone was sitting in the car," Sonny answered.In the evening, Lombard´s son arrived to take some things. Rico discovered as Stan switched off his car´s headlights. He and Larry were observing Lombard´s son because Castillo suspected that Lombard would contact his son if he were really alive.A moment later, Stan knocked at the window on Sonny´s side. "Hello, girls," he said. "What´s going on here?""Nothing," Rico answered. "If Lombard´s alive, he probably is wearing a camouflage cap."Two days and nights Rico and Sonny took terms with two colleagues to observe the yacht before Castillo stopped the stake out.Sonny gave Rico a ride, but on the way to Rico´s apartment a car raced from a side street with tyres screeching. Sonny turned the steering wheel hard to prevent an accident.They noticed a second car that was following the first car. Shots rang out. One bullet scratched with an ugly noise along the front - seat passenger´s side of Sonny´s car.Sonny put his foot down while Rico grabbed the phone to call for support. Other drivers sounded their horns, brakes were squealing, vehicles spun around, and glass was breaking with a light tone.Sonny raced down the road, swerving back and forth to the right and left. Rico stretched his neck, but he couldn´t see the two cars. Suddenly thex heard a deafening noise, and at the next crossing, they noticed a car that had crashed into a shop window. Sonny stopped the Daytona next to the scene of the accident and Rico jumped out of the car. He ran to the black Mercedes, but the man in the front passenger´s seat was dead. The driver was fatally injured, but before he died he said to Rico," The Revilla´s... ask... Henry Drummond... big delivery..." Then he died.Rico repeated the words to Sonny who was as helpless as Rico."Let´s ask Castillo," he suggested.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: ON THE WAY TO BOGOTA

• 3 weeks later...

38. ON THE WAY TO BOGOTAOn the way to the department, Rico listened to Sonny´s complains about the dents and scratches on the Daytona. It would take several days for the mechanic, Tommy, to repair it.Rico recalled,"We asked Castillo for information about Henry Drummond. He told us that Drummond was one of the top - agents of the Drug Squad, and was working in Bogota now. Castillo spoke with Drummond´s boss who promised to contact his agent. But neither he nor Castillo had any idea of what the man in the Mercedes had wanted to tell us. All Castillo knew was that the Revillas were Columbian drug dealers and they were big in business.He sent us home for some rest because he thought that this job would require all of our attention."He continued,"I drove home, and on the way, I glanced around in search for Jeannie. But, of course, I couldn´t find her. Maybe she had already left Miami.At home, I had something to eat and slept for a few hours, but Castillo´s call woke me up before dawn. He ordered me to come to the office. Sonny was already there and he looked as tired as I was feeling.Castillo told us that the driver´s name was Jeff Schneider, that he had worked as an informant, and that he had probably known about our identity.In the mean time, Castillo had learned that the Revilla´s were snatching all the businesses, and therefore it was very dangerous in Columbia because of this. But, in Columbia, it was always dangerous. I´ll never forget my experience in the Cartagena prison.Castillo said that Drummond was awaiting us. He would rent a motel room and take care of our return flight."Only two hours later, Rico was sitting in the plane to Bogota. Again, he remembered the trip to Cartagena, his prison experience, and he thought at Trudy who was connected to a bombing.Henry Drummond called for them. He had rented a room in "EL HOTEL LA PUESTA DEL SOL" (The SUNSET - HOTEL)."I would have preferred sunrise instead of sunset," Rico admitted. "It sounds more optimistic. But Henry also had bad news because the Revillas had left Bogota early in the morning. Henry also told that a guerilla organisation had captured a member of the Revillas organisation. He knew some of the guerillas and hoped that we could talk with the prisoner."Henry gave Rico and Sonny an hour to unpack their bags and have something to eat. Before he left to prepare some things he said," I hope that you´ve got strong enough nerves to bear this kind of experience."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: RICO´S PERSONAL REPORT OF HIS TRIP TO BOGOTA

• 3 weeks later...

39. IN THE JUNGLE AND OUT OF THE JUNGLE (23- PRODIGAL SON) according to Rico Tubbs"We weren´t hungry. We only unpacked our bags and waited for Henry to come. He was on time, but raced through the city liek a lunatic. During the ride, I was afraid that we could run over somebody. I think that the rules of driving were the same in Bogota, but nobody stuck to them.We left the town, but outside of town it wasn´t much better. There was less traffic, but the roads were really bad. I asked Henry how he became an agent. Henry told us that he was employed as such after finishing his law studies. He took the job because he thought that it was an exciting, adventurous, and exotic job. Instead, it was only dangerous and the only exotic things were some parasites he had caught.We reached the jungle. It was thick, dark, green, hot, and full of noises. One could hardly realize where the road was, as it had more holes in it as a Swiss cheese. Sonny and I were glad that we had forgone our meal.Suddenly, warning shots rang out as armed men jumped out of the bushes. The men spoke in a very fast Spanish dialect I couldn´t understand even though I speak Spanish well.They dragged us out of the car. I was very afraid because if they´d shot us down und thrown into the bushes, nobody would ever have found us. But they only pushed us forward.Henry quietly advised us not to put our hands down or to move too quickly. Mosquitoes were around everywhere, and, unfortunately, they love me. I could feel its bites and was sure to have more mosquitoe bites on me by our return than other people have freckles.Eventually, we reached a village. It was the most hopeless place I´ve ever seen. People with their hands fettered behind their backs were kneeing on the ground. A crying woman was lying over her killed husband, and children with hopelessness in their eyes were staring at us. Bodies were lying everywhere around and the bugs were doing their work. The stink of blood and decomposition filled the air.Sonny and I had to wait while Henry was talking to the commander. It was an alarming situation and we were glad when Henry returned. He had learned that the Revillas wanted to use a Panamaian cargo plane for the transport. The plane should land in the Glades at dawn. The man they held prisoner hadn´t betrayed more. I thought that he was too afraid of the Revillas, but I was mistaken.When I saw him I knew immediately that noone could be so fearless that he could stay quiet in such a situation. He was fettered on a chair and a rope around his throat was connected to the rope that bound his hands behnd his back that, again, was connected to a crank. If the man at the crank turned it, it strangled the prisoner who was badly injured. His face was swollen with many bruises. He was bleeding and almost deyrated. Above him, a rooster with its throat slit was anging from the ceiling. It was hot and stuffy, and it had a beastly stank for things I don´t even want to talk about.I forgot the danger of the situation, grabbed a water bottle that one of the gangsters was holding in his hands, and gave the prisoner some sips of water. I asked for information, but before the prisoner could say a word the man turned the crank.I got steamed, grabbed the man at the crank, and hit him. Sonny grabbed the other man, but Henry stopped us. We had to obey their rules if we wanted to stay alive. Again, I asked the prisoner for information. He mumbled, "Crosso Jesus" before we were pushed out of the room. Then the shot the prisoner and we walked across the village to the jungle.It was alarming to walk through the alley of armed guerillas. I had no idea where they came from, but there were more of them now. The number of armed men had almost trippled. The atmosphere was charged and I wasn´t sure if we would leave the village alive.The people who were kneeing on the ground when we arrived were dead now. I only thought, "A wrong word, a wrong move, or a wrong look and they blow my head away!"An uncountable number of flees were buzzing around the badly abused bodies. The excited humming made me feel sick and I breathed slowly through my slightly open mouth.It was about a quarter mile to the Jeep. It was the longest quarter mile of my life. I sighed in relief when the guerillas stayed behind. But we hadn´t gooten that far when someone behind us shouted orders and we ran for our lives. I tried to protect my face from the branches along the path. They tore open my arm skin and I lost many hairs. I stumbld over roots and twisted my ankle when I stepped into a hole I hadn´t discovered before. I didn´t stop running because shots were ringing out. Some of the bullets whizzed damned close pass my head.When we reached the Jeep, we jumped in and Henry hectically started the engine. He slammed into the reverse gear, racing backwards, and asked if we were OK.At a wide aprt of the path, he jerked the steering wheel hard round and then continued racing through the jungle. We could hear the roaring engines of our pursuers and their shootings, we were shaken because of the potholes and more than once, we had to bend forward to avoid being hit by low hanging branches.Then the noises of the pursuers layed behind as they had given up. Sonny wanted to know why they had changed their minds. Henry supposed that the prisoers indication to "Crosso Jesus" had let the guerillas think that we belong to the Revillas organisation. But he thought that it, in fact, only was about hitting two city dwellers on their noses or shoot a hole in their heads.When we finally reached the hotel, Hnry told us to wait for him, pack our bags and have something to eat. He said that it would be too long to wait for the delicious cold buffet at his party in Miami tomorrow evening.I wondered why Henry wanted to throw a party in Miami becuse I thought that Henry would stay in Bogota. Henry laughed as he told us that this "bust party" was a tradition. Besides that, this party was a good bye party because he was finished working abroad. He wantedto live a more quiet life without asking himself whether he would spend the next night in a bed or in a coffin.We stayed the next two hours in the hotel before Henry returned. He told us to hurry because our plane would take off in 30 minutes. Again, Henry raced throughthe city by breaking every traffic law.Fianlly, we reached the airfield and as I leaned back in my seat I closed my eyes. I urgenty needed sleep. Besides that, I had the feeling, that a damned long night was awaiting us."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: HENRY´S PARTY

• 2 weeks later...

40. HENRY´S PARTYAfter the landing, Rico and Sonny drove to the office to tell Castillo about the small amount of information they had collected in Colombia. In the Glades there was a place called "Christi Crossing" and Sonny assumed that "Crosso Jesus" meant the same place.They met Lieutenant Ed Waters from the drug squad and he and Castillo decided to position themselves at Christi Crossing at three a.m.. The first thing they discovered when they arrived was the Panamaian cargo plane on the water. They checked it and found the drugs inside. But, if they wanted to arrest the Revillas, they had to catch them with the drugs."In situations like that I always felt tense and all my senses were sharpened. I heard every little noise, realized every movement, and smelled all the odors of the swamp an the jungle," Rico told.As time went by, Rico realized that Sonny was getting more and more nervous. He could understand him well because the birds started already singing to welcome the new day and nothing had happend until now."I hope that the Revillas appear before dawn," Rico whispered."Why?" Sonny asked.Rico grinned. "It seems as if the mosquitos in this area have been sleeping this night, but I bet they´ll like to have breakfast in the morning, and then they´ll discover me!"Suddenly they heard an engine roaring and then the Revillas appeared to collect the drugs. From this moment, things became thick and fast. The Revillas had hardly known that the police were there when they opened fire. Only a moment later the plane´s tank exploded and it seemed as if no gangster had survived.Rico recalled," I felt exhausted when I arrived at home. We could take possession of the drugs, but noone of the Revilla´s organisation had survived.At home, I saw the flashing light on my answering machine. When I pushed the recall -button, I heard Aunt Catherine´s voice. Uncle Joseph had had a stroke and didn´t feel well. I immediately dialed her number, but she didn´t pick up the phone. As my next attempt in the afternoon was also in vain, I called my mother. But all she knew was that nothing had changed."He continued,"Eventually, it was time to leave for the party. I was a bit too late because f the telephone call with my mother. Sonny called for me and we drove to Henry´s apartment where Trudy, Stan, and Larry were awaiting us. Stan and Larry had an argument with an employee of the apartment building because of the big bug on their van. Trudy told us that Gina had had enough of this embarrassing argument and was waiting for us in the apartment.Trudy looked really hot that night. I think something could have gone on between us that evening. I told her that she looked fantastic and she replied that I also didn´t look that bad.But then we heard the shots in Henry´s apartment and when we kicked open the door we found a mess. Henry and some other people were dead and Gina was badly injured. I realized one of the gunmen on the balcony by accident. I identified him as an Colombian, but I couldn´t catch him."Rico ran around, checking for anyone´s pulse in the hope of finding someone alive. But it was in vain. In the meantime, Trudy had called an ambulance while Sonny was taking care of Gina. Rico thought that he, Sonny, and Trudy could also have been dead if he hadn´t spoken on the phone with his mother. But he also remembered Henry´s words. He had wanted to live a more quit life. Now he wa dead."In moments like this I often asked myself why I did this job. I was aware that I could be the next one put into a body bag. Nevertheless, I never wanted to be anything other tha a policeman," Rico admitted. "Sonny, Trudy, and I followed the ambulance to the hospital. We were afraid that Gina could die and curious about Castillo´s plans he wanted to talk about in the hospital."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: BEFORE THE FLIGHT TO NEW YORK

• 4 weeks later...

41. BEFORE THE FLIGHT TO NEW YORKCastillo and Ed Waters were awaiting Rico and Sonny in the hospital. Ed told them about his employees big problems with the Columbians. Probably, for a large sum of money, someone had betrayed the names of all the drug squad officers to the Columbians. Except of Henry Drummond, two agents were killed in New York. Therefore, Ed wanted to send to Vice - cops as suppliers to New York. Rico and Sonny were his first choice because the Revillas didn´t know them.."Except for one visit on my mother´s 65th birthday and my visit with Valerie after her emergency call, I hadn´t been in New York, but it was still my city. I grew up there, and there were a lot of memories at different corners. - And, of course, Valerie was living there. I knew it would have been better to forget her. After all, she had only told me about her decision to stay in New York on my answering machine. But I couldn´t forget her, just as I couldn´t forget Angelina Madeira. I liked the thought of meeting Val in New York," Rico recalled and continued, "At dawn Stan appeared to tell us that Gina had overcome the operation, but that her condition was still critical. I was relieved because Gina had survived.Castillo sent me and Snny home to pack a bag. I rode with Sonny who told me that he would call for me at two p.m.. Then he wanted to introduce me to a man who could give us the necessary recommendation for New York."At home, Rico dialed immediately Valerie´s number, but she didn´t pick up the phone. He only heard her voice on the answering machine, but he couldn´t understand her well because she mumbled and spoke too fast. He left a message, hung up, and thought about calling his mother. But when she knew that he was staying in New York, she would be expecting him to visit her, but Rico couldn´t promise to get time for that. Therefore, he didn´t call her.He packed a bag and slept for some hours. After he woke up, he decided to go to church. There, he met Glenda who was sitting in the first pew. When she saw Rico, she smiled at him and he smiled back. He lit a candle and said a prayer for his uncle and for Gina. Then, he sat down next to Glenda."I haven´t seen you for a long time, Rico," Glenda said."I was very busy," Rico answered.Glenda nodded. "Oh, yes, we run and run and never have time. Sometime, one is old and lonely ans asks himself why he had hurried all the time."For a moment, Rico thought about the words. Then he answered,"One hurries because noone wants to be passed by." He thought about telling her about uncle Joseph´s stroke and Gina´s injuries, but he didn´t.Glenda smiled at him. "Let me guess, you´re on the passing lane and on the way to shake all the others off."Rico smiled, touched Glenda´s wrinkled hands, and got up. "You say it, Glenda. Have a nice day," he said before he left.Rico told," Sonny arrived on time and we drove to Newton Blake´s yacht. Blake was a wealthy man because of his "powder business", but he was too smart to get caught with the stuff.On the yacht, there was a big party with a lot of pretty girls going on.Blake was a long - haired man. I think that he had Indian ancestors. He was aware of his influence and power. We told him that we had the 600 pounds of drugs that the police HADN`T taken possession on, even though they were claiming something different. Now we wanted to sell the drugs, but, of course, not in Miami. Blake gave us his cousins address. His name was Jimmy Borges and he was living in New York."Back on the boat, Sonny called Castillo before they drove to the airport. Again, Rico tried to call Valerie, but she wasn´t at home and he didn´t know her departement number. But now he decided to leave a message."Hello, Val, it´s me again, Rico. I´m at the airport and on the way to New York. I´d like to meet you. I´ll call you again after I arrived in New York."Eventually, their plane took off. Rico thought about Valerie. He thought that she, at least, could have called him back. Did he expect too much? - Not really! He didn´t want to be petty, but when she had called him in emergency he had dropped everything and had booked the next flight to New York. She didn´t even call him back!Rico didn´t know that a surprise was awaiting him in New York!IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: IN NEW YORK

• 2 weeks later...

42. IN NEW YORKAfter the plane landed in New York, Rico was convinced that Valerie didn´t call back because she was too busy. Eventually, she was working for homicide.Castillo had rented two rooms in a middle - class hotel, and he had hired a car for Rico and Sonny. Nevertheless, they walked to the headquarters where Rico curiously glanced around. This city, with it´s shining sky - scraper facades, it´s bustle of activity, and it´s typical Yellow Cabs, still captured his heart. In his opinion, no other city had the same charisma as New York. He and Sonny watched the good - looking women, joked around, and had a look at the peculiar figures on the streets.Later, while Sonny was having a discussion with Lieutenant Barnes, Rico tried to call Valerie again. He had asked for the number of homicide, but she wasn´t there. He left his name with the woman on the other end of the line and told her that he would call again later. Then they left headquarters. Sonny was steamed about his senseless discussion with Barnes, and Rico was disappointed because he couldn´t reach Valerie. They started searching for Jimmy Borges. Newton Blake had told them about Jimmy´s favorite clubs, but he seemed to be disappeared off the face of the earth. Just like Valerie. Three more times, Rico tried to call her, but without success. Eventually, Sonny advised him to drive to her apartment. Rico agreed and used the rented car to drive to Brooklyn.He parked the car close to the house where Valerie was living. While walking to the door, he raised his look to the apartment window on the second floor. He saw lights behind the window. therefore, he knew that she was at home. He hesitated and asked himself if the reason, why she hadn´t called back, could be her relationship with another man. But then he continued walking because he wanted to know the answer now!Rico crossed the street and slipped into the house when a black man, probably in his fourties left it. So, Valerie couldn´t give him the brush - off on the Entryphone, but had to look into his eyes. But, maybe she was glad to see him and there were plausible answers for his questions.Taking two steps at once, hejumped up the stairs and knocked at the door. it only lasted a moment until the door was opened, but the woman in front of Rico wasn´t Valerie. She was a white woman with dark blond, shoulder - length, straight hair, and violet blue eyes. She had a slim figure and an ample bust measurement. Rico could see all of this because she was wearing a light blue hint of nothing. She was as surprised as Rico and tore open her eyes before she slammed the door so hard that the wood crunched.Rico took two deep breaths. That was something he hadn´t expected. He knocked at the door again. "I´m sorry that I startled you. I´m Rico. I´ve called. Please, talk with me, he said while looking for a name plate, but he couldn´t find one.Noisily, she secured her door with a chain before she opened it. She was wearing a peach colored bathrobe now. "Sorry, but I thought that my boyfriend returned. OK, you´re Rico. What do you want?""Actually, I wanted to surprise Valerie Gordon. We haven´t met for a long time and I thought that we could meet now as I´ve got to do business in New York. Can you tell me when she moved out?" Rico asked."I moved in eight months ago, but, I´m sorry, I don´t know where she has moved," the woman said regretfully."Thanks for the iformation, and I feel really sorry that I startled you," Rico said before he left.He was dumpfounded. She moved out of her apartment more than eight months ago and didn´t tell him about that! Probably, she had thought that he wasn´t interested, but maybe she hadn´t thought anything at all because she was too busy. But now he knew why she hadn´t called back.Deep in thought, Rico returned to the hotel. He walked into the bar where Sonny was having a drink. When Sonny discovered Rico he was surprised as he looked at his watch. "Have I been sitting here so long that it´s time for breakfast again?" he asked, had a look at his glass, and added,"Didn´t seem so long to me!""Funny! Relly funny!" Rico mumbled as he sat down at the bar. He ordered a Manhattan medium, and didn´t say a word until the drink was standing in front of him. He drank a sip and said, "She moved and the new tennant didn´t knew her new address." He raised the glass," Let´s drink to good luck for our business."Sonny also raised his glass. He knew that Rico didn´t want to talk about Valerie now."The next morning I tried to reach Vlerie again in hr office. I couldn´t believe that she didn´t call me back on purpose," Rico recalled. he continued,"Val was still unreachable, but Jimmy appeared. We tried to persuade him to do business with us, and, after a while, he told us that he had to make some telephone calls first. But he anted to meet us at the CLUB DELIRIOUS at ten. Then I knew that I had time for me, and, so, I decided to visit my mother."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: ANOTHER SURPRISE FOR RICO

• 1 month later...

43. ANOTHER SURPRISE FOR RICORico drove to Queens, but his mother wasn´t at home. He sat down on the topmost of the five steps that led to the front door. Rico hoped that she only did her shopping and returned before the evening. While sitting on the stairs he thought,"How would it be to work in New York again? To live here again?"Only one year ago he followed Calderone to Miami and his only want was to catch his brother´s murderer. He didn´t waste a thought on staying in Miami, but, in the past, it was his only chance to work as a policeman furthermore. Maybe he could return to New York now.Only ten minutes later, Lilly Tubbs steered her car on the driveway. She discovered Rico, stopped the car, jumped out of it, and gave her son a hug.Rico looked very similar to his mother. He got her form of the face and her green eyes while Raphael had been George´s spitting image."You should have called, Ricardo. Then I would have stayed at home," she said as she took two shopping bags out of her car and gave them to Rico."I´m in New York for business, Mom. I didn´t know if I would get time to visit you," Rico admitted.For a moment, he saw disappointment flashing over her face. "Oh, I understand. Therefore, you didn´t bring any luggage. But you MUST stay for lunch."Later, Rico was sitting in the comfortable kitchen and listening to all the things his mother told him. She had news about uncle Joseph who was feeling much better now. But, nevertheless, he would never be the same man again.Then, Lilly wanted to know how long Rico wanted to stay in New York, but he neither knew the answer for that question, nor if he would get time for a further visit.Rico and Sonny first met in the evening when it was time to drive to the Club Delirious. Jimmy was already waiting for them at the entrance, and together they walked in.It was crowded inside. Rico glanced around because in the past, he often visited the club. He and Valerie had danced all night long. Maybe he met somebody he knew...- And then he noticed Valerie, who was sitting with a man, Frank Secco, at a table where Jimmy had taken them to to introduce them to Frank.Rico stared at Valerie who grew stiff as she was raising her glass to her lips. Was this guy her new boyfriend? Was she here for business? Was HE the reason why she didn´t call back? Rico decided to be careful. If it was Val´s job to be with Frank, it would be better if Frank believed Rico and Valerie wouldn´t know each other.Rico tried to get Frank interested in the cocaine, but Frank only asked Rico to dance with Valerie."I wanted to get as much information as possible," Rico told. He continued,"The last thing I knew was that Val was working for homicide, but it seemed as if she had already stopped working for that department when I had last visited her. She told me that she started working for THIS department after she had quit the job as a probation officer. She said that Frank was a lieutenant of the Dante - Organization which was involved in every kind of criminal activity. Valerie was his companion.She was part of the police squad trying to prove the members of the Dante - Organization guilty. - It was SO wonderful to be with her again, to hold her in my arms, and to smell her perfume. I´d missed her very much. When I told her about that, she answered that she´d also missed me, but the same time she turned around and avoided looking into my eyes.Then, Frank wanted to leave, but he offered Valerie to stay. Sonny wanted to paint the town red on his own, and I was determined to use my time with Valerie."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: NIGHT IN NEW YORK

• 1 month later...

44. NIGHT IN NEW YORKRico and Valerie decided to stay in the club while Frank was leaving and Sonny tried to push himself through the crowd to the bar."Why didn´t you call again?" Rico asked."Why?" Valerie didn´t look at him. "Everything was said. You only would have tried to persuade me to move to Miami, but I had made my decision.""Nevertheless, we could have called sometimes. You could have told me that you moved out of your apartment, and that you´ve changed your job.""I was very busy, Rico." She looked impatiently at him. "I´m working underground! I haven´t got time for a friendly call to Miami and my moving was necessary because of my job."Rico noticed that Valerie got more and more angry, but he didn´t want to argue with ehr. Therefore he asked," Do you want to dance?"Valerie took a deep breath before she nodded. While dancing Rico asked,"The thing with the bills... is it finished?""Yes," Valerie answered. "You know that I´m thankful that you came to New York immediately, but..."It was only a question," Rico cut her short. His hand softly touched her back as he tried to kiss her, but Valerie turned her face away. She mumbled that she couldn´t do that before she hurriedly left the dancefloor.Thoughtfully, Rico followed her as she pushed herself forward to the door. There, he caught up with her. "Valerie, please wait," he said.They walked away from the club to hinder that somebody overheard them. "Rico, I can´t do that," Valerie angrily told when Rico grabbed her arm."Why not? What does Frank Secco mean to you?""Rico, this is MY life and MY job. I´m not answerable to you. I want to go home!"Rico saw clearly that he couldn´t persuade her to stay. "OK, I´ll take you home.""That´s not necessary, Rico," Valerie answered, but he assumed that she only didn´t want to tell him her new address."But I WANT to do it," Rico said as they were walking to his rental car.Valerie told him her address (it was 235 Gramercy House), and as he filtered into traffic, he tried to touch her hand, but she fended him off. "Rico, I´ve told you that I CAN´T do that! Not at the moment!""What does Frank mean to you?" Rico repeated the question she hadn´t answered."He´s only part of my order," Valerie replied, but she sounded as if she´d learned it off by heart."Sure?" Rico asked.Valerie hesitated before she nodded. "Yes, I´m sure.""Do you want to show me your new apartment?" Rico didn´t want to give up, but Valerie said no. He asked her for her new telephone number, and with a sigh she wrote in on a piece of paper.At Gramercy House, she thanked Rico, got out of the car, and hurried into the house. Rico waited until he saw her switching on the lights in an apartment on the first floor.Rico had been really pleased to come to New York, to meet Valerie and to spend some time with her. He had thought about persuading her to a move to Miami. He didn´t think about that things could be different. But, was Frank Secco really only part of her job?After Rico reached the motel, he dialed Valerie´s number. He only wanted to talk with her, but she didn´t pick up the phone. Therefore, Rico left a message. He was sure that she was listening, but she didn´t react.Rico didn´t sleep well, and at morning he drove to the Gramercy House. Frank´s showy sedan was parking in front of the house. When did the man arrive? Was that the reason why Valerie gave him the brush - off? Was she awaiting Frank?Rico almost waited for an hour until Valerie and Frank left the house together. She accompanied Frank to the sedan, kissed him, and as she passed by Rico he saw the beaming smile on her face. For Rico, it looked as if she was in love with Frank.Thoughtfully, Rico returned to the motel, had breakfast with Sonny, and later they met with Jimmy. The man had bad news for them. Nobody would buy th cocaine because everybody was feared of the Revillas. Nevertheless, Rico and Sonny were able to persuade him to help them to find a customer. But hours later, Jimmy told them that he had enough of driving around without success. He was also afraid of the Revillas and not keen on getting killed either.Rico recalled,"After Jimmy had left, the colleagues in the New York Police Department arrived, jumped out of their cars, and slammed us up against thewall. Lieutenant Barnes was with them. I noticed the confident smile on his face. From the first moment, he didn´t want to support us. Now he was glad because of our failure. When they left we knew that we were really on our own."In a café, they ordered coffee and croissants. There, Sonny told Rico about Margret. He got to know her in the Delirious, and had spent the night with her. After he woke up, he found that Margret had stolen his gun and had left the apartment."I must find her, Rico," he worriedly said. "How could I be so stupid?"Rico thought about Jeannie and decided not to answer. He changed the topic and talked about the Revillas. "We should cut them from their further supplies," Rico suggested.Sonny nodded. "A good idea, but I think we need Jimmy´s support."They left the café in search for Jimmy. Two times, Rico stopped at a phone booth and dialed Valerie´s number, but she didn´t pick up the phone. (PRODIGAL SON, part2)Eventually, they found Jimmy at the bar in the Delirious and told him about their plans. Jimmy thought that they were crazy."I was always good at persuading people, except for Valerie," Rico told and continued," I offered him a bigger share that he couldn´t turn down. In fact, we could have been happy, but the Revillas had found us, and it could have ended badly for us. One could say that this was the first time that smoking saved somebody´s life. Sonny needed a new pack of cigarettes, and as he got the pack out of the vending machine he noticed a gunman in the mirror. He warned us just before the first shots rang out.After the shoot out, Jimmy told us about the Revilla´s next delivery by ten p.m. Somewhere in Jackson Height."After they had left the club, they separated. Sonny wanted to search for Margret, and Rico wanted to talk urgently with Valerie.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: MORE DISAPPOINTMENTS FOR RICO