Ricardo Tubbs: The Big Biography

Christine

45. MORE DISAPPOINTMENTS FOR RICORico recalled,"I returned to the motel and asked for messages, but Val hadn´t answered one of my five calls. Thereafter, I drove to the Gramercy House and arrived at the same time as Frank´s sedan. I parked the car opposite of the house and waited for Frank to leave, but only the sedan left.While waiting I thought about Valerie and my possible return to New York. I knew that Castillo would give me fantastic references for my new start as a policeman in New York. I thought about renting an apartment in Brooklyn. Maybe, things could get well between me and Valerie. But I wasn´t sure about that. Valerie seemed to be different to me.Eventually, I saw the sedan coming only a moment before Frank left the house. When I reached the front door, a woman was leaving, and so I got the chance to get into the house without ringing Valerie´s doorbell.I knocked at the door. Valerie opened, wearing nothing more than a silk nightgown. Angrily, I asked her if she didn´t know how to make a telephone call and we argued. With a look at her CLOTHES and the used bed I coudn´t do anything else than offend her. I told her that not even her sister, Diane, had fooled somebody when working as a hooker. She gave me a sharp clip round the ear. I think I deserved it, but I didn´t deserve to listen to her hymn of praise for Frank.After I´d left, I was sitting in the car, thinking about Valerie, and I decided to concentrate on the really important things. I bought the ingrediences for an explosive cocktail we wanted to leave at the place where the messenger deposited the package for the Revillas."As they assumed that the messenger would come by boat, they waited in Jackson Height at the water. Sonny had gotten his gun back, but while they were sitting in the car he often looked at Rico.Sonny admitted," When Ed Waters in Miami had told us about the plan to send two Vice - cops to New York, I saw Rico´s enthusiastic face. For me, Rico was always like an open book. I knew that he missed New York, his hometown, sometimes. His mother was living there and so did Valerie. During the flight, he told me very enthusiastically about the places he wanted to show me if we had enough time. I wasn´t sure whether he would return with me to Miami. I asked him about his future plans while waiting for the messenger, but he didn´t answer."Everything worked the way they had imagined. The next morning, Rico found a little article about the explosion at the warehouse. While reading it, he heard Snny arguing on the phone with someone who orderd them to come to a meeting place."His name was Commander Rene and he raged like Rumpelstiltskin. It didn´t matter to him that we knew more about guys like the Revillas," Rico recalled and continued, "Besides that, we had a date with the Revillas at ten p.m.. We needed support, but Commander Rene turned it down and Lieutenant Barnes grinned from one ear to another because of that.We drove to Jimmy. His apartment door was open, but nevertheless it seemed as if he wasn´t at home. But, in fact, he was killed and his murdered were awaiting us. Shots rang out and we had luck that we could escape. We were sure that these men who were following us belonged to Secco.Outside, we separated and while running through the streets my anger grew. I hoped that my pursuers wouldn´t shoot a passer - by by accident. But then I could catch one of my pursuers using a slowly passing truck as cover and then I caught the other one too."He and Sonny met at the motel and they were both steamed. Sonny told him that he had a date with Margret, so Rico decided to visit Valerie again. She opened him, only wearing that silk nightgown again. Rico knew that Frank was waiting in the apartment because she didn´t ask him to come in.Rico told,"It didn´t bother to her that Frank had tried to kill Sonny and me. She only claimed that I know nothing about anything, and she advised me to return to Miami. That wasn´t the woman I fell in love with in 1983, that I comforted in Miami after her sister was killed, and who had desperately asked me for help after all the unpaid bills had arrived.Suddenly, Frank appeared in the open door and aimed his gun at me. Valerie dragged me away, probably to hinder that I shot Frank. I broke free, and followed Frank into the apartment where I shot him.While searching in his pockets, I listened to Valerie´s complaints, her explanation, and her claim that she´d only been doing her job.Then, I found an addess - book and while having a look at it Valerie aimd a gun at me and advised me to talk with Sonny´s friend, Margret."Rico left the apartment and returned to the motel. In the meantime, it had started to rain. It was the right weather for Rico´s mood. All the time he asked himself whether Valerie really had shot at him. He wasn´t sure.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: SHOWDOWN IN NEW YORK

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Christine

• little miss dangerous

• Sonny-Burnett

• Tony D.

46. SHOWDOWN IN NEW YORKSonny wasn´t in the motel. Rico ordered something to eat while waiting. Then Sonny called, and Rico told him that he had bad news about Margret.After Sonny returned to the motel, he dialed Margret´s number that Rico had found in Secco´s address book, but she wasn´t at home.Rico had a restless night. He tossed and turned himself around and around while asking himself whether Valerie would have shot him or not.The next morning, they drove to Margret´s apartment. She was living in an expensive area and in a tastefully furnitured apartment. Rico curiously looked ather. She was a cool, blond woman. In his opinion too cool. But when Rico told her that he had found her name in the address book of the very dead man, Frank Secco, it was as if he had pushed a button. She almost broke out in tears, and when she started speaking she sounded as if she was suffering with a stomach ache. She tried to play for sympathy as she told them that she had only collected information. Then she swore that she had no idea who her boss was."Eventually, she gave us a calling card of the Banker Mr. Johnston who looked like a vulture and who knew everything about Sonny´s and my finances by heart. In his speech, he spoke about the financial situation in America and in the countries of our Latinamerican brothers. We knew that he was dirty, but we couldn´t prove it," Rico recalled and continued," In a very friendly way he asked us not to rock the big boat where we all were sitting in. I understood the threat. I asked him how he handled thngs like that. A call with a former fellow student, a little pressure, and two policemen from Florida got killed in a major action... of course without back up. He threw us out of his office.While having lunch we talked about Johnston, Margret, and our meeting with the Revillas that night. It was our last evening in New York, and maybe our last day as partners, but we didn´t talk about that."When Rico and Sonny drove to the meeting point, Rico still didn´t know what to do. He loved New York with its special atmosphere. His mother was living there, and there were many memories at different places. But he also loved Miami. He had found many friends there. Live in Miami was more casual and less hectic. It was hard for Rico to make a decision, but time was running out. He would have to think about it soon.The Revillas (there were six of them) were awaiting them, but Rico assumed that probably two more men hid themselves anywhere. It seemed as if it followed the same format as usual until Valerie appeared.Rico recalled,"I didn´t know where she had come from, and until today I have no earthly idea how she could stay uninjured during the shoot - out with the Revillas. She´d been standing there without a cover and shooting at the gangsters.I ran to her, calmed her down, and took her in my arms. She asked me to stay with her and I couldn´t say no. I took her home and stayed until morning. Sometime, Valerie fell asleep in my arms, but I couldn´t sleep. Again and again, I thought about my return to New York. My mother would be glad about that, but the colleagues here were less warm and hadn´t welcomed us in a friendly way. Besides that, I would miss Sonny and the other Vice - colleagues, and even Florida´s tropical sun."He continued,"I fell asleep and woke up at nine because of the smell of fresh brewed coffee. As Valerie and I were sitting at the small table in her kitchen, she told me that she had also thought about many things. Val thought tht it would be better to live alone for a while and without a relationship. In that moment, I asked myself what I was doing here. The answer was that I was behaving like an idiot!I left Valerie in a hurry, and rode by cab to the motel. There, I asked the taxi driver to wait for me. Then, I packed my bag, and rode to the airport where Sonny was waiting for the return flight to Miami. I was sure that I had made the right decision."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: THE NEW APARTMENT

• 2 weeks later...

47. THE NEW APARTMENTHe met Sonny at the airport, checked in, and then they got into the plane. Sonny said, "The New Yorkers are rather cool, aren´t they?"Rico fastened his seat belt. "They are rather cool," he confirmed."And the weather is more changable than in Miami, isn´t it?" Sonny asked.Rico nodded. "Oh, yes, and there´s snow in winter."Sonny grinned at him. "You can get lot of snow in Miami, too."Rico grinned from one ear to another. "Of course, but the snow in New York is for free and legal.""But it´s too cold," Sonny said and Rico agreed.Then Sonny asked what´s new and Rico remembered his first visit on Sonny´s boat. Sonny had told him that he was sure that Raphael (he thought that this was Rico´s name) had high qualities for his job in New York, but in Miami one wouldn´t even know who the players are without owning a program."A long time ago, I had bought a program for the special games in Miami, and now as I start to learn about the players I can´t stay in New York," he casually answered.They didn´t talk about Valerie who was part of the past for good.The air in Miami was as hot as a hairdryer. Nevertheless, Rico was glad to be here again. He and Sonny separated to take their bags home before meeting at the office again.Rico thought that the colleagues would be glad to see him, but Larry left in a hurry and just waved his hand, Stan was speaking with someone on the phone, and Trudy hardly looked at him. Instead of reaching him his hand, Castillo gave Rico a file and told him that they had decided to observe Newton Blake again.Then, Larry hurried into the office. As he was giving Rico a piece of paper he asked," You´re still searching for a new apartment, aren´t you?"Rico took the piece of paper. "Right."Larry pointd at the piece of paper while explaining," Rather new. Nice area. Maybe, it´s already rented, but it´s worth an attempt."Rico smiled at him. "Thank you, Larry." Immediately, he dialed the number, and a few minutes later he had an appointment for six p.m.He arrived on time, got out of the car, and glanced around. Rico knew immediately that he would like to live in this apartment -complex. From here, he could reach the department within ten minutes and HIS church and Tom´s Bar were around the corner.The estate agent was late. If she were young and pretty, it would have been easier for him to forgive her, but she was as old as his mother, gray - haired, and chubby. She was a respectable woman who looked openly at him with her light - blue eyes. The woman apologized and told him that another customer had needed more of her time. "I always try to answer all the questions a customer asks me," she said.While using the elevator to the 8th floor, the estate agent gave Rico some information about the apartment, but she also asked him about information about himself.Rico told her that he was a policeman while they were walking along the hall to the apartment in the corner.The estate agent was enthusiastic about that, and told him that she recently had sold a nice house to a policeman. His name was Lockhard, but Rico didn´t know him.He walked around in the nice, light apartment, asked questions, and found that the estate agent answered them as detailed as possible.About an hour later, Rico had rented the apartment. After he had left, he drove to Tom´s Bar where Tom was polishing glasses. "I haven´t seen you for a long time, Rico," he said."I was away for business. Anything new?" Rico asked while sitting down on a stool.Tom mixed a Mojito for him and grinned. "Most of the new things here come from the south, are illegal, and it´s much better to avoid them.""That´s true," Rico answered. He stayed until ten p.m.. The bar became more and more crowded, but Rico was too tired and not keen on taying longer.Three days later, he moved into his new apartment. Trudy offered to show him where he could get good furniture for little money, and Stan and Larry offered him to carry his stuff in their bugs van.Rico called his mother to tell her his new address and telephone number. She told him that Uncle Joseph was feeling much better. Of course, he wa physically handicapt, but confident to recover.At the weekend, Rico invited his friends to an opening party. Sonny was in comapny with a pretty, brown - haired woman named Amy who persuaded him to leave at eleven p.m. It was nice party, and the last guests left at two p.m. Rico cleaned up, even though he felt very tired. But, before he was ready, his telephone started ringing, and immediately he knew tht this would be a long night.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: WHO KILLS POLICEMEN?

• 2 weeks later...

48. WHO KILLS POLICEMEN?Castillo ordered Rico to come to South Beach. He noticed the flashing lights of several policecars and ambulances, but the paramedics already closed the ambulance door."A policecar with open doors was standing there. (25 - Whatever Works)Castillo had just finished his first investigation and Trudy had finished her call. They joined me, and Trudy told us that the killed policemen had used code seven to tell that they were leaving. She suggested that they had wanted to get themselves something to eat, and that they were the victims of an organized crime. Castillo contradicted. He thought that it was an organized sect," Rico recalled.He continued,"I agreed after having a look into the car. Someone had shot the collegues. They were sitting on their seats with their heads leaned backwards and staring into the sky. At the rear - view mirror, I saw something like an Indian dreamcatcher, and on the dash - board I saw a card with a stuck tongue standing next to a black and white candle. I knew a little bit about a sect that used such ritual things, the Santeria sect."A moment later, two colleagues, Blakeney and Sullivan, arrived. Blakeney was steamed and swore revenge before he and Sullivan left again.Rico searched for Sonny, but he wasn´t there. When he quietly asked Trudy about him, Castillo heard it and said,"Crockett was unreachable."Rico suggested that Sonny spent the night with Amy and either didn´t hear the phone, or that he was with Amy in her apartment.When Rico and Trudy returned to their cars, Rico asked her about the killed policemen. "Did you know them, Trudy?" he asked."Briefly. Their names were Graney and Lockhard. They were working on patrol," Trudy answered.Rico frowned. "Lockhard?" he repeated while thinking about the estate agent´s words that she had sold a house to a policeman with that name recently.Rico drove to a bakery to buy doughnuts. When he arrived at the office, the coffee was already running, and Stan was reading the newspaper. A moment later, Larry walked in, had a look over Stan´s shoulder, and claimed," Lebrizzi´s men."Rico, who was sitting at his desk and reading a book about the Santeria sect, amazingly raised his look. "What are you talking about, Larry?"Larry grabbed his cup, and walked to the coffee machine that just finished with a panting noise."In the newspaper, it is written that the passengers of two vehicles had fought a battle. One car got off the street, and rushed into the incoming traffic. Five cars crashed into each other, there were several explosions, and...ehm... how many people got killed, Stan?""Eighteen," Stan groaned. "In two of the cars, there were sitting American tourists...ehm...seven."Larry had filled his cup with coffee. He nodded while walking to his desk. "Eighteen. The man, who had caused the accident, had rented the car. His name was Antonio Santos. his front seat passenger´s name was Giorgio Bonono. You can find both names on Lebrizzi´s payroll.""Where from do you know that?" Trudy amazingly asked.Larry grinned from one ear to another. "I know the right people."Suddenly, Sonny stormed in like an angry bull. He raced through the office, disappeared into Castillo´s office, and slammed the door before he started shouting.Actually, Rico had wanted to fill up his cup again, but now he forgot about it. He leaned at his desk, raised his eyebrows, and listened to his partner´s angry outburst.Gina joined him. "What´s wrong with Sonny? He almost ran me over!"Stan grinned. "Sounds as if somebody has stolen his favorite toy."A moment later, Sonny left Castillo´s office. Rico put his empty cup on his desk, and followed his friend. "Can you tell me what has happened, Sonny?" Rico asked when he caught up with Sonny who was hurrying along the hallway."You want to know what has happened?" Sonny was still at a boiling point. "First, Castillo called and he didn´t sound friendly. Thereafter, an idiot of the accounting department appeared and told me that he was on the way to collect donations for the employment of a fulltime marriage counsellor. As if these guys could rescue marriages that broke because of our job! He didn´t want money, but the keys for the Daytona!"Rico was amazed. "Can he simply take away the car?" he asked. "And...by the way... where do you want to go?""Orphew Rivera," Sonny replied. "Izzy Moreno gave me that name. He showed up on the boat when that bastard stole the Daytona! Izzy thinks that Rivera could be involved in the murder of the policemen." Then he added," In my contract, it´s written that the administration can gain possession of the car, but I need the car!"Sonny swung himself on the Caddy´s front driver´s passenger´s seat. "I´ll get the car back! I promise!"Rico also got into the car. "Castillo will take care of that... Orphew Rivera, do you know his address?"Sonny gave him the address, and thy decided to identify as policemen immediately. Nevertheless, Rivera´s men pulled their guns, and shot at them until the backup arrived.Rico recalled,"When we entered the house, Sonny grabbed Rivera. I could hear him shouting at the man while I was walking around. In one room, I discovered masks, candles, and other stuff of the Santeria worship that I showed Castillo. Our boss knew a lot about Santeria. He said that these men never would have given up if they were copkillers. Besides that, all the candles in the house were white, but the canldles that had been found in the policecar were black and white. This combination was a sign for hate and revenge."He continued,"When we talked with Rivera, the man was full of hate and made desperaging remarks about venal cops. Then, Castillo told us that he knew a Santeria priest he would ask for help."Rico and Sonny returned to the office. The whole time, Sonny was complaining about that they had taken away the Daytona.Rico listened to him, but then he discovered her! It was like a repetition for him. She was standing at the bar of Nick´s Coffee Shop and chatting with Nick.Hectically, Rico searched for a parking space where he drove in so fast that it took Sonny´s breath away. Rico got out of the car. This time, he would catch her!IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: ESCAPED AGAIN!

• 2 weeks later...

49. ESCAPED AGAIN!This time, he had parked the car further away from the coffee - shop than last time. He ran along the sidewalk, stretched his neck, and found that the space at the bar was empty. He couldn´t believe it! Rico rushed to the corner of the street, glanced to the left and the right on the search for the woman in the turquoise colored mini - skirt and the yellow blouse. But she had disappeared.He returned to Nick and asked," The woman, you were talking to a minute ago, do you know her?"Nick propped on the bar and looked to the left and the right. "No.""But you know who I´m talking about? Yellow blouse, mini - skirt..."Nick nodded. "Of course. She shows up here and there and buys coffee and croissants. For that, they don´t need to tell me their names or show their identity cards. I only want their correct small change."Rico returned to the Cadillac where Sonny amazingly looked him up and down. "Can you tell me what has happened, Rico? I´m sitting next to you, railing about our damn bureaucracy, and suddenly my best friend transforms into Speedy Gonzales."Of course, Rico couldn´t tell Sonny the truth about Jeannie. Therefore, he started the engine and replied," I thought that I had discovered an old friend of mine, but I was mistaken.""Oh," Sonny said.Rico filtered into the traffic and askd," Do you think that Lockhard and Graney were venal cops?"Sonny shrugged. "I knew both of them, but heir names hadn´t been on my friend´s list. But you know that a cop doesn´t earn the big money, and if you´ve got a family to feed...- Honestly, I don´t know."Castillo was alreadyin the office. He told them that the Santeria priest, Shatta, was awaiting them at two p.m.Rico recalled," Shatta was an impressing, posh woman. I don´t know what I had expected, but she was living in a normal house that wasn´t different to other houses. Castillo told us that she was a professor at the college of art. Shatta was wearing white clothes, and a turban was covering her hair.I watched her curiously while she was having a look at the things the murderer had left in the policecar. She told us that the perpetrator had been feelig endangred, and these things should do the same to the victim´s spirit like the bullets had done to their bodies. She didn´t believe that the victims had been men of law."Rico checked the victims creditworthiness and that hardened the suspicion of corruption because both men had paid all their debts five months ago. Where did they get the money from? Again, Rico heard te estate agent´s voice," I´ve sold a nice house to another policeman recently. His name was Lockhard."A feeling told him to find out more about the cops that had been railing around at the scene of the crime, David Blakeney and Todd Sullivan. He learned that they also had more mooney in their pockets in the last few months.Sonny was sitting at his desk and speaking with someone on the phone when Rico returned. After Sonny had hung up, Rico told him what he had found out. As Sonny knew the name of the bar where Blakeney and Sullivan loved to spend their time, they decided to drive there. Rico also knew this bar, but he rarely visited it.It was crowded. Nevertheless, Rico discovered some colleagues at the table in the corner. Blakeney and Sullivan were with tem.A cute, blond woman who sometimes gave information to them, ask whether one of them would like to dance with her."In moments like this, Sonny always used his knee injury that had finished his career as a football player as an excuse. But, in fact, Sonny hated to dance," Rico betrayed and continued," I followed the woman to the dance floor, but paid all my attention to Sonny, who reacted hot - blooded sometimes. A few minues later, the battle started, and I thought that Sonny certainly needed to learn how to control his temper. In any case, several parts of my face were aching when I left the bar.Rico took Sonny to the St. Vitus Dance before he drove to the Ultramont Hall to get himself something to eat. On the way home, he switched on a cassette with country music on it. With a look into his rear - view mirror, he discovered a policecar that was following him. Blakeney and Sullivan were sitting in it and it looked as if they wanted to frighten him. Sonny had already claimed that the guys tried to hide something and their behavior this evening seemed to confirm this.After Rico returned home, he ate his vegetarian sandwich while watching TV. Of course, there was a report about the killed policemen in South Beach, and he could see himself from the backside standing next to the open car door while Blakeney was swearing revenge."Great," Rico mumbled. Things like that threw a great light on the police of Miami.The next morning, Rico learned that Castillo had met with another Santeria priest last night, who had told him the name of the cop killer: Davio."We wanted to drive off immediately, but Castillo asked Sony to wait a moment. Then he told him that Sonny would get the Daytona back. I hadn´t seen Sonny in such an enthsiastic mood for a long time," Rico admitted, and continued," We drove to Dario´s house and waih´ted there for him to leave. That was what Castillo had ordered us to do, but things ended up different. Suddenly, Blakeney´s jeep raced up to the house. Davio´s men opened fire, and so did we. Blakeney´s car turned over before crashing at a tree. We could hardy believe that Blakeney was still alive. Covered with blood, he, while reeling, left his damaged car before he broke down on the lawn. Again and again, he mumbled Sullivan´s address, and as we found Santeria stuff in his pocket, we assumed the worst.We drove to Sullivan´s house where we found him and his wife, executed by shots in their necks. But one good thing happend that day because Sonny got his Ferrari back, and his good mood returned."Sonny asked Rico whether he wanted to go fishing with him. Rico replied that he had to drive to the department first, but that he would join Sonny in about an hour.He admitted," I should have known that it was a mistake to return to the office after quitting time."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: MANY GHOSTS...

• 2 weeks later...

50. MANY GHOSTS...Actually, Rico only wanted to take his wallet out of his desk´s first drawer. He had put it into the drawer after he arrived in the morning, and forgot it there later. In the drawer, he also kept Angelina´s photo that he took out now to have a look at it. Where was she now? Did she also think about him sometimes?Suddenly, Castillo appeared, carrying a file in his hand. "Great to meet you, Tubbs," he said. "I want you and Crockett to take care of this case."While taking the file Rico asked," What is it about?""Actually, it´s about Ray Pinchada and Freddy Constanza, but it´s hard to get close to them. Therefore, we take care for the dealers they´re doing business with. One of them is Manuel Scates."Rico had a look at the information in the file that also contained a photo of Manuel Scates. "So much to our fishing trip," he thought.With a last look, he took Angelina´s photo back into the drawer, took his wallet, and left the office. Then he drove to Sonny to tell him about the new order.While reaching him a bottle of beer Sonny asked,"Why did you have to return to the office?""I had forgotten to take my wallet out of the drawer," Rico admitted.Rico recalled,"While drinking the beer, we talked about Manuel Scates, who was only a little fish. We arrested him several times, but the cocaine, we had found, hadn´t been enough to try him. When I mentioned Pinchada and Constanza in connection with Scates, Sonny snorted. He claimed that there´ll always be gangsters we´ll never catch. Newton Blake was one of them, and also Al Lombard, Constanza, and Pinchada. But our boss had ordered us to watch Scates. That was the beginning of a strange story!"They drove around in town in search for Scates and asked several people about him, but nobody had seen him. Eventually, they separated, but arranged to meet again the next morning at ten. It wouldn´t have made sense to start their search at an earlier time because dealer loved to sleep in.Rico bought something to eat, returned home, and while having a late dinner he read the article about the accident in Havanna where seven people died: Four members from a family from Chicago, and three friends who apparently had come from Atlanta."Lebrizzi... why did he sent his men to Havanna? This guy deals with white stuff, not with cigars and sugar cane," he mumbled before turning the page around and having a look at the sport sites.The next morning, he drove to Nick´s Coffee Shop where he almost had caught Jeannie twice. Again, he asked Nick about her, but she hadn´t been visiting the coffee shop during the last days.Later, he and Sonny drove around again, but Manuel seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth."I know every damn corner in this city where these guy like to hang around, but where the hell is Scates?" Sonny railed."Maybe, he has used so much of his own stuff that he hadn´t regained consciousness until now," Rico suspected.Rico recalled,"Suddenly, Manuel appeared on rollerblades, carrying an unsuspecting rucksack on his back. he smiled at the girls, raced around the passers - by, and again and again, he disappeared in the crowd. (26 - Out Where The Buses Don´t Run). Fortunately, we always discovered him again. But we thought that his rucksack seemed to be more filled now.When Manuel stopped to chat with some friends, I caught Sonny as he turned around again and again. But when I asked him what´s wrong, he answered that everything was OK.We caught Manuel, but had to let him go again because there weren´t any drugs in his rucksack. Frustrated, we returned to the Daytona where I caught Sonny again as he was glancing around.""Maybe, Manuel had found out that we were watching him," Sonny thought aloud as they got into the car."Possible," Rico agreed. "He received the stuff somewhere, and when he found out that we were watching him, he deposited it at another place, so that we couldn´t catch him with the stuff.""Maybe, we can find the stuff at the place where we lost sight of him last. Unfortunately, we can´t connect Scates with the drugs, then, but irritate some of his customers," Sonny said."A good idea," Rico replied while laughing, but two hours later they gave up, and decided to have lunch. Even when they sat down at table on a restaurant´s deck, Rico heard someone screaming who went into raptures. He turned around, and realized a familiar woman who was storming towards him...IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: ...AND MANY LUNATICS

• 2 weeks later...

51. ...AND MANY LUNATICSHer skin was sun tanned and her chestnut brown hair was beaming in the sunlight. She was wearing a pair of sky - blue hotpants and a lobster colored top. In the first moment, Rico thought that she meant somebody else, but she looked at him, gave him a beaming smile, and shouted,"Teddy! Teddy Perkins? ...Right? I´m right, or not? YOU are Teddy Perkins!"She sat down on the chair at Rico´s right side. Sonny, who was sitting opposite of Rico, smiled."Please, tell me! YOU are Teddy Perkins, or not?" She looked at Sonny as she claimed," I never forget a name or a face." Then she reached her hand to Sonny. "I´m Emily."Rico remembered her. She´d been working as a receptionist in the motel where he had rented a room when he first came to Miami. But the name he had used wasn´t Perkins, but Prentiss. Every day, he´d been staying in this motel, she had made hidden offers. She´d been absolutely mad about him, but he hadn´t been keen on going out with her."I´m Rico," he slowly answered.Emily looked at him. "No, you´re Teddy! I´m sure about that. I never forget...""You mentioned this before," Rico interrupted her. "But you´re mistaken. I don´t know Teddy... what´s his name?""Perkins," Emily mumbled while staring at him. "I was absolutely sure..." She got up ad apologized. "Nevertheless, it was nice to meet you," she said before she left in a hurry.Rico looked at Sonny. With a smile on his face he said,"Teddy´s name was Prentiss, but for my taste the lady had been too affectionate in the past.""Where do you know her from, Rico?" Sonny wanted to know.Rico told him about it. Suddenly, Emily appeared at the table again. "I don´t know why, but I still think that your name is Teddy and not Rico," she said, bent forward, kissed him on his cheek, and disappeared.While shaking his head, Rico said," There are many mad people all around the world."Later, they drove to the department. While talking with Castillo, a man who was wearing a dirty Hawaiian shirt, walked in and put some photos on the table. (25 - Out Where The Buses Don´t Run)Rico recalled,"His name was Hank Weldon. He was a retired Vice - Detective, and he had secretly taken photos of me and Sonny. He knew that we tried to catch Freddy Constanza, even though I didn´t knew where he knew it from. Then he claimed that we, actually, were searching for Tony Accaro. It seemed to me as if he had a srew loose."He continued," Gina got some old photos of Accaro, Constanza, and their business partner, Pinchada, and a video that had been made in February 1979. Then, Accaro was acquitted because something had been wrong with the evidences. After he had left the courthouse, he disappeared.Sonny thought that Hank was only crazy, but I wasn´t sure about that. Hank knew about many amazing things.Gina got his file, and we learned that the name of Hank´s ex - partner was Marty Lang, who was working for the FBI now. We decided to visit him the next day at noon.In the evening, we drove around with Hank. It was late when he told us that Constanza had made a reservation for a table in the OCEAN CLUB the next day at noon."Rico returned home, but couldn´t find sleep, even though he was tired. In Weldon´s file he had read that the man had been a good policeman. He´d been working for Vice for eleven years. But what had happened to him thereafter?Again and again, he woke up, and thought about Hank and Accaro, who disappeared like Al Lombard from who they had only found the burned out car."The next day, we visited Marty Lang who told us that Hank first was on sick leave before quitting his job and spending several times in a psychiatric ward. Hank flipped his lid after Accaro was acquitted because Hank had been working on this case for three years. His wife, Lorraine, left him, changed her name, and moved to another city," Rico recalled.He continued," Lang was convinced that Hank was obsessed of Accaro, and that he believed that the man was still alive. Sonny was steamed. He claimed that we sacrified out time to a madman to hunt a dead criminal while the living criminals could do their businesses.That day, Hank invited s to come to his apartment. He showed us his computer he had named Lorraine, but he got angry when I touched a special CD. Secretly, I put it into my pocket because I suspected that something very important could be on it. Then, we went to the OCEAN CLUB where Constanza really appeared and got killed, exactly what Hank had promised.We arrested Hank because we were sure that he was an accomplice. Later, he claimed that he had learned about a big drug deal. In fact, the deal occured, and we could catch Pinchada, but Tony Accaro wasn´t there. I was still convinced that Accaro was dead."After quitting time, Rico drove to Tom´s Bar. He had something to drink ad chatted with Tom for a while before he decided to drive home. But he had hardly reached the door when Tom´s telephone started ringing, and Tom askd him to return because Castillo was at the other end of the line.He ordered Rico to drive to Hank´s apartment because Weldon had called him and had sounded confused. But Hak wasn´t at home. he had demaged his computer before he left. As neither Rico nor Sonny knew where to search for Hank, they returned to the office. Then Hank called and ordered them to come to 114 South Waters. he claimed that Accaro was with him."Do you really think tat he´s telling the truth?" Rico asked when they were on the way."I don´t know, but if it is so, we´ll have a lot of questions for the man. This story is simply crazy," Sonny replied."But, in fact, Hank has lead us to Pinchada," Rico said.They arrived at 114 South Waters, and Sonny told," Yes, and now he´s led us to a house that´ll fall down soon.""Don´t cough," Rico mumbled advising when entering the house.Rico recalled,"We found Hank and also Accaro, but he was dead. Hank had killed him in 1979, and Marty Lang had helped his friend and partner to hide the body behind a wall they had built up in this house. Lang apologized that it had been his duty to help Hank. I asked myself whether I would do the same for Sonny, but, honestly, I didn´t know. In fact, I couldn´t imagine helping Sonny hushing up a murder, and so did he."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: FROM A BUSINESS THAT ENDED UP DIFFERENT

• 2 weeks later...

52. FROM A BUSINESS THAT ENDED UP DIFFERENTRico and Sonny spent the evening on the boat. They had some drinks while talking about Hank and this strange case. After such an experience, they couldn´t "close the door" and let the event stay outside. Weldon had been a good policeman who had really given everything... even his mind."A home for old policeman isn´t a bad idea," Rico said while raising his look to the cloudy sky. "I mean, take Weldon. They´ll take him and send him to a psychiatric ward...""Which is the right place for someone like him," Sonny interrupted. "And it´s a better place than the prison where he also could be send in because of Accaro´s murder.""Nevertheless, I think that a home for old policemen could be a good idea," Rico insisted.Sonny bent forward to Rico. "You´ll be sorry if you even say one word about that to the guy of the central accounting department!" Sonny threatened. "This guy even gets the idea to confiscate the Ferrari again, and then he´ll sell it very fast so that I can´t get it back."Rico´s grin was as high as the Mississippi with having high water. "Don´t worry, pal, you won´t lose your toy again because I´m not keen on talking about my idea... We´ll keep an eye on your friend, Ernesto LaRosa again?""Sure," Sonny replied."The next morning, I found Ernesto LaRosa´s file on my desk," Rico recalled, and continued," The Columbian owned a club in Miami. We assumed that he not only sold drinks, but also drugs there, and that the club was used to launder dirty money. Before Hank appeared, I had used a guy named Woody to contact LaRosa. Now Castillo ordered me to get in touch with LaRosa again. But even though LaRosa had been keen on doing business with me, I needed three days to get close to him again. I presumed that he wanted to make me pay a higher prize. Several times, I talked with Woody about Ernesto, but he always got rid of me by telling me that Ernesto wasn´t in town or too busy to meet me.Eventually, I had enough. I told Woody that I had other offers, and that they, possibly, make a better offer. Woody promised to call back, and only a few minutes later, I had an appointment with Ernesto LaRosa in his club at 11 p.m."In the evening, Rico and Stan walked to the club (27 - Dutch Oven). They saw Sonny and Trudy, who were playing hooker and john.Rico and Stan entered the crowded club, but when they wanted to go to Ernesto´s office, Woody stopped them. Only Rico should go to the office. Rico obeyed the order, even though it was against their plans.Rico recalled,"When reaching the hallway behind the bar, I discovered a man who was speaking to someone on the phone. Suddenly, the guy aimed a gun on me, and told me to go into the office where a second gangster whith long hair was watching bounded Ernesto and the cocaine. They ordered me to lay down on the floor, and again I obeyed the order. I wasn´t keen on getting killed. Besides that, the gangsters couldn´t know that the police was already there."He continued," After they had left, I jumped up, and an into the bar. Switek knew immediately that something had gone wrong, and so did Sonny and Trudy. When Stan and I left the bar, we discovered the Daytona that was close on the tail of the gangster´s car. Zito had caught the long - haired guy.""I even had discovered a nice club when we arrived in Miami. What do you think about having some drinks there, Alfred?" Switek asked when passing Gina, Zito, and the long - haired gangster. He sounded as if they only were tourists who wanted to amuse themselves.Rico smiled. "What a great idea, Joseph!"They walked to Rico´s car where they learned about the shoot - out between Sonny, Trudy, and the second gangster who´d been on the flight with the money and the cocaine.Rico and Stan drove to the scene of the crime where Sonny told them what had happened. They had revealed that they were policemen. Nevertheless, the guy shot, and he would have killed Sonny if Trudy hadn´t shot him first."Even though, you know that you had decided right, an action like that weighs heavily upon your mind," Rico admitted, and continued, "You always ask yourself whether there had been another way. It´s never easy to cope with the fact that you had killed someone.The good news were that our cover wasn´t busted. So, we could make a new appointment with LaRosa.Castillo told us to go home, and I thought about asking Trudy if she wanted to go for a drink with me. Gina was faster than me, but Trudy turned her offer down. She only wanted to go home, take a bath, and go to bed, then."First, Rico also decided to go hme, but then he changed his mind, and went to Tom´s Bar. He was too excited to find sleep. Maybe, he found nice company in the bar who could distract him from his thoughts.On the way, he was caught by a strong rain. With his head lowered, Rico ran along the side of the street, stormed into the bar... and bumped into somebody. When he raised his look, he met dark - brown eyes that were looking at him from an oval face. Her hair wasn´t bonded that evening. In front of him, there was standing Charlene!IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: CHARLENE

• 2 weeks later...

53. CHARLENE"What a surprise," Charlene said as she was looking at Rico."Certainly," Rico replied while raindrops were running from his hair over his face. He wiped them away. "I didn´t expect to meet you again," Rico admitted when he and Charlene were walking to the bar.Tom had discovered him already and mixed a Mojito for him before raising his thumb first and his forefinger a bit later to ask whether he should mix one drink or two.While showing him two fingers, Rico asked Charlene," Are you alone on the way?"Charlene smiled. "Yes, and I thought to show up in this bar in hope of meeting you."They sat down on the stools at the short side of the L - shaped bar. Tom gave them their drinks, and Rico raised his glass. "Let´s drink to the coincidence that had persuaded me to come here tonight."After they had drunk a sip, Rico asked," Where have you been for the last few weeks?""I´ve been busy, started working early in the morning, stayed longer in the office in the evening, and wasn´t keen on going out after I returned home."Tom, who was cleaning the bar with a wet bar towel, interferred," Rico is also always busy. He hardly appears when his colleague calls... or is it your boss? - And then he´s on the way again.""On the way is a good keyword," Rico urgently said.Tom understood immediately what Rico wanted to tell him. With a big grin on his face he turned around and walked away."One More Night," from Phil Collins was booming out of the loudspeakers. For Rico, it sounded like a prediction. "Do you like to dance, Charlene?" he asked and Charlene nodded."Are you going to disappear when your friend calls?" Charlene wanted to know later while they were dancing to "We Are The World".Rico sighed while his hand was softly touching Charlene´s back. "If my colleague calls, I have to go, but I really hope that he don´t calls."At about 2 a.m., they left the bar, and ran through the rain to Rico´s apartment. They were joking and kissing in the elevator, and the apartment door was hardly closed behind them when Charlene impatiently unbuttoned Rico´s shirt. While slowly moving to the bedroom, one garment after another stayd behind.Later, when they were laying under the blanket and listening to the pouring down rain, Charlene sighed, "I´ve to leave soon. My return flight takes off at 8 a.m.""To where?"Charlene propped on her left ellbow and looked at Rico. "To Houston. I´m living there." She kissed him efore she added, "Don´t ask about more, OK? Here and there, I come to Miami. If you want to, we can meet, then, but I don´t want to talk about my life in Houston. All I want to tell you about it is that I don´t want to give it up.""That´s not what I want," Rico admitted immediately without thinking about it. "I want to know everything about my girlfriend, and I don´t want to ask myself one week after another when and whether my girlfriend might appear and if she, possibly, spends her time with another man. Honesty is very important to me, Charlene."Again, Charlene sighed. "I thought it, but that´s all I can offer to you and it was worth an attempt."She got up, put her clothes on, and left him after a last kiss.Rico was laying in his bed, staring to the ceiling, and listening to the rain that was still pouring down. In his subconscious, a voice told him to get up because it was already dawning and a lot of work was awaiting him. But Rico didn´t listen to that voice and fell asleep.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: THOUGHTS ABOUT CHARLENE

• 2 weeks later...

54. THOUGHTS ABOUT CHARLENEWhen Rico woke up, he realized several things at the same time: It wasn´t raining any longer, the sun was pushing her way to the clouds... and it was noon! Something like that had never happened to him before.He jumped up, ran into the bathroom, and ten minutes later he was on the way to the office.Sonny wasn´t there, but Castillo left his office while Rico was filling his cup with fresh brewed coffee."I´m sorry. I´ve overslept," Rico admitted."Take care for Ernesto LaRosa," Castillo only answered before vanishing back into his office.Rico tried to call Ernesto, and thereafter, he tried to call Woody, but it was in vain. It seemed as if the man needed some time to recover after the attack. Therefore, Rico took care of all the papers that were laying on his desk. Just before quitting time, he reached Woody."Listen, man," Rico said in a thick Jamaican dialect. "We both had losses, but my customer is waiting for the goods. Are we going to make the deal or not?"Woody sounded nervous. "At the moment, we should be a bit careful, man.""Does it mean, that you don´t want to do business with me, pal?" Rico tried to sound bored. "As I told you before, man, there are other business people who are very interested in changing my nice green bucks into great white stuff. So, if this is your last...""Oh, no, no, no, we want to do the business," Woody hurriedly insured. "Call again at ten a.m. Then, I can tell you more.""Cool," Rico replied. "But if you CAN`T tell me more, then, 120,000 nice bucks will find another owner than Ernesto."Rico hung up, and looked at Sonny, who was sitting at the opposite desk. "It´s running. How´s Trudy doing?""She accuses herself for what has happened and askes herself whether she really had reacted the right way." Sonny snorted. "And then we had to talk to that idiot from Internal Affairs who wanted to inform us about how things have to go out there. But he knows nothing because he´s sitting in his air conditioned office the whole day.""Keep cool, Sonny," Rico advised. "It´s always and everywhere the same. The people, who, actually, have no idea inform the others about their mistakes."On his way home, Rico thought about Charlene from Houston. He assumed that she was married. Therefore, she didn´t reveal anything about herself. She had told him that she didn´t want to give up her life in Houston. Maybe, she was one of these people who talked themselves that their marriage was working so well because they were unfaithful from time to time. But maybe, Charlene was not even her right name and she didn´t live in Houston. it would be best to forget her.The next morning, Rico read the newspaper while having the first cup of coffee. He found a little article about the dealer who was shot to death on the flight by a policeman, and a big advertisement told him that Morty Prize, apparently one of the greatest comedians, returned to Miami. He would give his first performance in the SHELBOURNE Saturday night at eight. Rico turned the page around. Who was interested in Morty Prize?"Then, Trudy asked me, Gina, and Sonny for a speech. She told us that she went with a man named David to a party last night where she met a dealer named Adonis. Adonis was David´s friend, and David was important to Trudy. I suggested to find out whether David knew about Adonis´ businesses. Trudy agreed. She told me where I could find Adonis, and there he was," Rico recalled, and continued,"I followed him through the streets of the city, made notes, and took some photos. Eventually, he stopped at a villa where I was the witness of an very interesting argument. Apparently, Adonis, didn´t pay on time."Rico followed Adonis to the apartment - comple where he was living before he returned home. He knew that Trudy would be glad to hear that Adonis hadn´t met with David.When Rico opened the door of his apartment, he discovered the flashing light on his answering machine.IN THE NET CHAPTER: A LOT OF SAND

• 3 weeks later...

55. A LOT OF SANDFor a moment, Rico thought that Charlene had tried to call him, but then he remembered that she neither knew his family name nor his telephone number.When he pushed the return button, he heard his mother´s voice. He hadn´t been talking with her for weeks. Now she only wanted to hear if he was OK and to tell him that Uncle Joseph was feeling reasonably well (whatever that meant).Rico decided to call her back the next day before driving to the office. One could never know what would be awaitng him in he department that day.But when he dialed his mother´s number the next morning, she didn´t pick up.Rico recalled," I drove to the office, and searched in the computer for information about David. He was clean, but I could find a connection between Adonis and a very bad Columbian guy named Ramon Lopez deHoys. For us, it would have been great if Adonis had betrayed deHoys, but nevertheless things weren´t easy for Trudy.David would think that she had only used him to get closer to deHoys. I understood her well. I always hated to use people, but, of course, it´s the worst if these people mean that much to you."He continued," We drew another plan. Trudy should ask Adonis for a deal for three kilos of cocaine that she apprently needed for a friend, Sonny. I should wait in front of deHoys house because Adonis would ask him for the cocaine."While waiting in his car, Rico listened to a local radio channel and the advertisement for Morty Prize´s promotion on Saturday.Then, Adonis appeared and after an argument with a man he vanished into the house.He left it only a few minutes later with angry expressions.Rico ollowed him through the city to the club where Adonis wanted to do the business with Trudy. It was the same club where David and his band were playing all night long.Again, Rico returned home far after midnight, and again it was too late to call his mother. Unfortunately, Lilly Tubbs turned it down to buy an answering machine."You know that I know nothing about these gadgets, and if something breaks I always have to ask other people for help," she had said when Rico offered her to buy an answering machine when he visited her last.Then she smiled as she asked,"Or do you like coming to New York every time I´ve been meddling around at the answering machine? Of course, this would be a possibiliy to see you more often.""But it would also be a possibility to lose my job," Rico had answered while laughing. Thereafter, he never talked about buing an answering machine agan."The next morning, he had to drive a detour because the expressway was blocked because of a truck that was turned over. Therefore, Rico reached the office twenty minutes too late.The thermos jug was empty, but it was merely steaming out of Sonny´s, Trudy´s, Gina´s, and Stan´s cups."I thought I take care for supplies," Larry said when returning with the coffee pot with water in it."How could it happen that YOU are late?" Sonny wanted to know."There was an accident on the expressway," Rico groaned. "The road was completely blocked because of a truck that was turned over.""He had a load of chickens that were runnig around everywhere," Trudy interferred. "The radio host told that.""That´s the reason why I´m a vegetarian. For ME, no one needs to carry chickens somewhere to slaughter them."Rico recalled,"At ten, I called Woody who ordered me to come to a meeting place outside of the city. I tried to suggest another meeting place because at the place where they wanted to do the business with me, there was nothing more than sand. But Woody didn´t want to discuss it with me. He told me to come at 2 p.m., to be on time, and don´t forget to bring the money. Sonny´s meeting with Adonis should be at 6 p.m.Eventually, my colleagues, and Castillo left the office to take position in the sandy hills, Stan and I stayed behind. We checked our guns, compared the time on our watches, and left the office."Clouds were covering the sky, and the wind was twisting around the sand at the meeting point. Rico couldn´t see the colleagues who were hiding themselves somewhere in the hills, but of Ernesto and Woody either."Oh, man, I think I´ve got the sand everywhere in my clothes," Stan groaned at five minutes past two."There they are," Rico replied, looking at the two men who were walking up to them. It was unusual that they were alone. - Frightening was a more suitable word.Hidden behind his sunglasses, Rico let his eyes travel around. Suddenly, someone shouted," It´s a trap!"The same moment, Ric and Stan pulled their guns, and so did Woody and Ernesto.Rico let himself fall to the ground and shot. He rolled around, jumped up to let himself fall to the ground again a few steps later. So, he moved to the car while the sand around him was spreading out.Then, it was over. Woody and Ernesto were dead. Sonny and the other colleagues were hurrying from the hills up to them.Rico brushed the dirt off his clothes. While looking at Stan he asked, "Are you OK, Stan?"Stan nodded. "But now the and is REALLY everywhere!"They returned to the office. Trudy ordered pizza, and while eating they talked about the meeting with Adonis."The evening didn´t go according exactly to our plan," Rico admitted, and continued,"When Adonis found out that Sonny and Trudy were policemen, he threw the cocaine in Sonny´s face, and he denied knowing Lopez deHoys. Trudy was disappointed. She had risked a lot in hope of catching a big fish.Then, David appeared. Sonny and I left the club. It wasn´t our business to listen to their speech, but know that she never went out with David again."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: A COMEDIAN´S DEATH

• 4 weeks later...

56. A COMEDIAN´S DEATHOn Sunday morning, Gina gave a file to Rico and said while smiling," I don´t want you to feel bored. It´s about a massage salon.""And what do we have to do with it?" Rico asked and added while grinning,"It´s not that I have something against working undercover there...""It´s said that the owner of the massage salon has narrow connections to the drugdealer Silva. Actually, the case is about him."Rico smiled at her. "Sonny will be pleased to hear about that job. He´ll also like working undercover there."Rico recalled,"Sonny had flown to Atlanta two days ago because of some things he had to arrange with his ex - wife, Caroline. I expected him to return in one or two days. But then I got a new order.Castillo called and ordered me to come to the Shelbourne Hotel where the comedian Morty Prize had been killed. (28 - Buddies) Someone had stabbed him to death.Annie Lamont, Noogie´s wife, had watched the young waitress, Dorothy Baine, as she followed Prize to his apartment one or two hours before he was found killed. She told us that Dorothy had a baby. Neither I nor Sonny could imagine that she had killed Prize.For what?I assumed that the hotel owners, Dos and Cannata, had killed their old friend. Castillo had told us that both men already had had trouble with the law. Maybe, Morty had to die because he found out about a criminal offence Dos and Cannata were planning.Sonny and I drove to a cheap motel where Dorothy, as Gina had found out, had rented a room. On the way, Sonny told me proudly that he as a Godfather now. His old friend, Robert Cann, had become a father, and he had asked Sonny whether he wanted to become his new born son´s Godfather. I congratulated him."Rico askd the woman behind the reception desk about Dorothy Baine."Number seven", the woman answered without raising her look from the TV.When Rico and Sonny reached the first floor, they found out that someone had kicked open Dorothy´s door. They heard a woman screaming, and then bullets were flying everywhere around them before two men escaped out of the window.Rico decided to return to the street to welcome them there. He jumped down the stairs, and flashed through the motel´s entrance hall.Standig in front of the motel, he glanced around. The guys had climbed out of a window on the other side of the building.Rico ran around the motel, and discovered a car that was racing out of the motel´s garage.A moment later, another car appeared, and Ricow was sure that it would have driven over Sonny if he hadn´t warned his friend."Are you OK, Sonny?" Rico asked when reaching his friend.Sonny got back on his feet. "Yes. Thanks, pal.""What the hell is going on here, Sonny?" RIco asked while looking into the direction where the car had disappeared to."A lot more as you dared the lady to do. These guys didn´t want to play Monopoly with her," Sonny answered while walking with Rico to the parking lot.Grinning, Rico replied," Actually, that´s our favorite game. Go directly to jail...""Funny, Rico, really funny," Sonny groaned.Rico recalled," We returned to the OCB where Castillo ordered the team to come to the briefing room. There, he gave us interesting information about Frank Dos and Johnny Cannata. they were both well - known while Morty Prize and Dorothy Baine were unknown.Trudy had found out that Dorothy had flown to Miami to escape of her violent husband. Gina had talked with him on the phone, but the man had no idea where his wife was now. Our colleagues in New York had told Gina, however, that Dorothy had asked them twice to arrest her husband during the last six months.I always hated guys who only feel good if they can hit somebody. We knew that Dorothy had lost her job and we assumed that Prize had offered her to stay overnight in his apartment. Probably, Dorothy wasn´t willing to pay the prize that Morty demanded, and she killed him during the fight. But we didn´t understand why someone wanted to kill HER."They decided to ask Annie Lamont who was working in a snack bar. But Annie wasn´t there."She had an important appointment and left earlier. She´ll be back tomorrow", the heavy Afro - American, who was working in the snack bar now, told them."Do you like going for a drink with me?" Rico asked when he and Sonny returned to the Ferrari."Not tonight, my friend, I´m sorry", Sonny replied. "I´ve got a date."Rico got into the car. "Something serious?""No, man, not really," Sonny replied.He drove Rico home. Rico wished him a nice evening and entered the house. On the elevator doors, he discovered a piece of paper."Out of order," he mumbled. "Great!"Then he walked up the stairs to the 8th floor. When he opened the glassdoor on th foor, he realized alarming noises...

• 3 weeks later...

57. A SURPRISERico stayed, with his foot put in the open glass door, stopped breathing for a moment, and listened. Unambiguously, there was someone waiting for him, and as the person hadn´t switched on the lights, Rico was sure that he wanted to hide something. But how many were there waiting for him?Carefully, he pulled his gun. For him, it sounded very loud as he released the safety catch. The person, who was awaiting him, had also heard it, and stopped.Rico squeezed himself against the wall, bent quickly forward and backwards, but he could see absolutely nothing. His hand touched along the wall until he found the light switch. Light was flooding the floor.Again, he bent forward... and then he discovered her, Charlene! She was cowering in the corner with her knees drawn up. Her arms were clinching her knees, and she looked at him in fright."Charlene?" Rico put the gun away. "What are you doing here?"CHarlene still stared at him. "Why do you have a gun, Rico?""Many people own guns. I thought that someone tried to burgle my apartment."He reached her his hand and hepled her to get up. "What are you doing here?" he repeated."Someone attacked me, stole my purse, and I didn´t know who I should ask for help", Charlene admitted."Did you go to the police?" Rico wanted to know while opening the door.Charlene shrugged. "For what? I hadn´t seen him. A man pushed a thing in my back, and I thought that it was a gun. He ordered me to give him my purse and my jewlery, and in no case I should turn around. I felt a bloody fear, Rico! I gave him everything, and even after he had disappeared, I stayed with my look turned to the wall for about ten minutes or so."Rico walked to the kitchen. "Nevertheless, I think that you should go to the police. The guy has your jewlery. I´m sure that he´ll try to sell it to a fence. - Would you like something to drink?"Charlene shook her head. "No, thanks. And I don´t want to go to the police either."Rico took a bottle of orange juice out of the fridge and a glass out of the cupboard. "Are you sure that you don´t want to have something to drink?" he asked while filling the glass."Yes, I´m sure", Charlene replied."Whee did it happen?" Rico screwed the lid back on to the top of the bottle. While putting it back into the fridge, Charlene gave him the name of a street two blocks far away.Rico walked to the dining area, sat down on a chair, offered Charlene another chair, and asked, "Did you want to visit me?"Charlene hesitated, sat down on the opposite chair, and admitted, "No, I´ve ... had another destination.""To another man?" Rico asked without taking his look from her. After a sip of orange juice, he wanted to know, "Since when are you back in Miami?""I arrived this afternoon." Charlene looked at him. She took a deep brath, got up, and said," OK, I was on the way to someone else when the gangste attacked me. I went to the man actually wanted to visit, but he wasn´t at home. I hadn´t told him that I would come to Miami. Rico, I was afraid that the gangster could return. Therefore, I decided to ask YOU for help. Please, could you take me to the motel where I have rented a room?""Are you really sure that you don´t want to report the attack?" Rico asked, but Charlene shook her head. "I really haven´t sen anything.""What about your jewlery?"Charlene shrugged. "It wasn´t that precious. Will you take me to the motel?"For a moment, Rico thought about it. Then he said," I´ll call you a tai. It can take you wherever you want."Charlene understood the hint and nodded.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: THE ARGUMENT!

• 2 weeks later...

58. THE ARGUMENT!Rico recalled," The next morning, Sonny and I drove to the snack bar where we met Annie. She wasn´t helpful, even though we told her that Dorothy was in a big danger.Thereafter, we drove to the OCB to have a look at the lists, Gina had made with the help of surveillance photos Stan and Larry had taken.On the list, we found the names of every person who had contact with Cannata and Dos. One of them was Sonny´s old friend, Robbie Cann.Sonny was startled when he saw Robert on the film Stan and Larry had made. He couldn´t understand what an upright and honest man like Robert had to do with gangsters like Cannata and Dos."When Rico cleaned up his desk, he suddenly held another file in his hands. It was the one about Ivory Jones, the owner of the massage salon. He put it aside. The tarts would have to wait.At about nine p.m., Sonny called for Rico, and they drove to Robbie´s club. But the discussion with Robert ended up disappointing. Apparently, he knew nothing about Dorothy.When Rico mentioned that Dorothy was a mother, Robert got angry, and threw them out of the club."You´re wrong, Rico", Sonny angrily claimed after they had left the club. "Robbie has got nothing to do with the thing with Dorothy! He´s my friend! I´ve known him much longer as I´ve known you, pal! He CAN`T do something dishonest!"They got into the car. Sonny started the engine, and angrily put his foot down."Open your eyes, Crockett!" Rico tried to stay calm, even though Sonny´s tone made him feel angry, too. "And switch your mind on!""My mind IS switched on, but you are wrong! I - know - Robbie!""Humans can change, Sonny" , Rico considered."How can you have the presumption to judge Robbie?" Sonny seemed to be at a boiling point."No rational thinking man would borrow money from guys like Cannata and Dos, but Robbie did!"Sonny raced into a left curve with screeching tires, and Rico´s right shoulder slammed against the door."Robbie and I´ve been lying in Vietnam in the dirt! In much more and deeper dirt as we will ever be laying in. Insects were creeping in our clothes while bullets were buzzing around us. Where have YOU been while we were fighting for our lives and for our country, son of a preacher?" Sonny shouted.Suddenly, Rico became silent. "Stop, Crockett!", he ordered. "Immediately!"Sonny braked, and Rico jumped out of the car when it hardly had stopped. His apartment wasn´t far away, and he preferred to walk instead of sitting for one more minute next to Sonny, and listening to his unjustified accusations. Eventually, he wasn´t to blame for that it never fell to his lot.And Rico angrily walked through the night while the Daytona was leaving with screeching tires.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: THE ARGUMENT GETS FINISHED

59. THE ARGUMENT GETS FINISHEDRico was the first one to arrive at the department the next morning. He had hardly slept because Sonny´s unfair words had always been twisting around in his mind. Actually, Sonny should have known that Rico wasn´t to blame for the fact that he hadn´t to go to Vietnam. Rico knew several men who had been spared. Some of them had been glad about that, others woud have gone enthusiastically to Vietnam to fight for their country.Rico disliked wars, and therefore he hadn´t been sad about the fact that they hadn´t sent him a conscription into the army. But it was not fair to accuse him because of this.Rico brew up a can of coffee. Just when he switched on the coffee machine, Sonny stormed in... and ignored Rico. He sat down at his desk, and disappeared behind the HERALD."I only thought,"OK, if YOU can behave like this, I can do the same", Rico told, and continued," I hadn´t been the one who had to apologize for a faux pas."Around ten, Rico drove to the snack bar to learn that Annie had taken some days off.Therefore, he decided to speak with the receptionist of the motel where Dorothy had rented a room. But the receptionist only railed about the demaged door of room number seven, and she told Rico that she would keep the stuff that Dorothy had forgotten until the demage was paid.Rico gave her his office number and asked her urgently to call him in case that Dorothy appeared.Then, Rico returned to the office, and decided to find out more about Robert Cann. For his taste, the man reacted too nervous when he and Sonny had visited him.When Sonny returned early in the afternoon, he spoke with Stan, ignored Rico, made a telephone call, and left the office again. Thoughtfully, Rico´s look followed him."A bad atmosphere?" Stan curiously asked."Yeah", Rico answered, sat down at the computer, and gave in Robert Cann´s name, but he couldn´t find anything. he would have to use the files of other authorities, but of course, he had no permission to get access to their files.He asked Gina and Trudy for help, but they both were busy. Later, when he had time to ask someone of the other authorities for support in this case, the authorities were off duty.Rico drove home and had something to eat before he decided to visit the church. there, he met Glenda who even lit a big, very beautiful candle. Obvioulsy, she felt that somebody was there because she turned around. When she recognized Rico, she smiled. "Hello, Rico. I haven´t seen you for a long time.""Hello, Glenda", Rico replied. "I´ve been very busy."Glenda joined him and sat down on the seat next to him. "My son, Brandon would have had his 37th birthday today", she explained with a look at the candle. Then, she glanced at Rico. "You look as if you´re stressed."Rico glanced from the cross to the flickering clandles. The atmosphere had a calming effect on him. "My job is very strenuous, and I´ve got only little time to recover."Glenda nodded understandably. "Don´t let yourself get eaten up by your job, and don´t let somebody irritate you."Rico smiled at her. "I´ll do my very best."Later, when he visited Tom´s Bar, he was in a much better mood. Of course, the argument with Sonny burdened on him, but he was sure that everything would be OK again tomorrow.But he was mistaken. Sonny didn´t speak with him, and he did his best to get out of Rico´s way.Again, Rico made enquiries about Robert Cann... and then he learned about the man´s secret."I had called the servant of another authority, but the woman at the other end of the line wasn´t authorized to give information on the phone. But she asked me to come to her office at 3 p.m. so that she could give me Robert Cann´s file personally", Rico told.When Rico had read the information about Robert Cann, he knew immediately that Sonny would dislike to hear about that. But he couldn´t tell Sonny about it that day because his partner didn´t return to the office.The next morning, he´d also been waiting for Sonny in vain. When he asked Gina about him, she told him that Robert Cann´s son was baptized that day."Had had an argument?" Gina sympahtetically wanted to know."Yes", Rico groaned.Gina softly touched his shoulder. "It´s gonna be allright soon. Normally, Sonny isn´t unforgiving."Rico didn´t answer, but when Sonny appeared early in the afternoon and vanished into the washroom, he followed him."It wasn´t easy for me to tell him that Robert Cann´s real name was Cannata and that he was Johnny Cannata´s son", Rio told, and continued,"After our argument, I wasn´t sure how he would react to these news. At first, he looked unbelievably at me before storming out of the washroom. He attacked Dorothy Baine´s violent husband who was coming along the hallway with Gina. His behavior showed me HOW angry he was.Unfortunately, Castillo had watched what was going on on the hallway. He ordered Sonny to come into his office while I was waiting outside."After Sonny had left Castillo´s office, he walked up to Rico, looked into his friend´s eyes, and said, "I´m so sorry, Rico. I was anry and I´ve said some very unfair things. But with Robbie, you´ve been absolutely right.""And I wished that I was mistaken", Rico admitted. "What are you going to do now?""I drive to Robbie", Sonny answered."Shall I accompany you?" Rico asked, but Sonny shook his head. "No, thanks. I´ve to clarify it on my own.""OK, I´ll drive to the motel, then", Rico answered.Then, they separated. Rico was abolutely happy that the argument was finished now.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: DOROTHY´S RESCUE

60. DOROTHY´S RESCUEIn a good mood, Rico drove to the motel where the same woman was sitting at the reception desk and staring at the TV. Rico asked her about Dorothy Baine."Yes, she´s been here", the woman told him without taking her look from the screen."Why didn´t you call me?" Rico asked heatedly. "I gave you my number...!"The woman shrugged and with a bored sounding voice she replied, "She´d paid for the demage."Rico got angry. He held his badge under her nose, something he, incidentally, had done when giving her his number. "I asked you to call me if Dorothy Baine appears, Lady, and for me, it was not about the damn door. When did she come here?"Finally, the woman raised her look. "Yesterday evening. She was with another woman. Did she do something wrong or why is the police behind her?"Rico didn´t answer, but angrily left the motel.While sitting in his car, he thought about the woman who had accompanied Dorothy. He was sure that it had been Annie Lamont. But where was Annie living? Rico had no earthly idea.In this moment, the car phone started ringing. Sonny was at the other end of the line to tell him that he had visited Robbie.Rico recalled," He told me that Robbie knew where Dorothy was now, but that Robbie had played a trick on him and escaped. As Sonny wanted to drive to the snack bar to speak with Annie, I informed Castillo, and thereafter waited for Sonny´s next call. While waiting, I asked myself why Dos and Cannata so urgently wanted to kill Dorothy. They had applied for the permission to run a casino in Miami. I coudn´t imagine that they risked their permission only to take revenge on a waitress."Then, Sonny called, and he only gave Rico Annie´s address before he hung up. After Rico had called Castillo, he drove off. Rico put his foot down. He past by right or left, raced across a red traffic light, and triggered out shreaking tyres and the sounding of several horns.When jumping out of his car, he heard wailing sirens that were coming closer and shots that rang out from inside the house.Annie was living on the ground floor.When Rico ran around the house, he first discovered the damaged glass door, and then he saw Sonny who aimed his gun on him.Rico recalled, "I shouted that it was me outside, and he let his gun sink down. Then, I entered the room where Sonny was kneeling next to his injured friend. I hurried to Dorothy who had hid herself and her baby behind the bed. Fortunately, they both were uninjured.We found out that it was all about the content of the leather bag Dorothy had used to carry her son out of Morty Prize´s apartment. There´d been secret papers in it that Dos and Cannata urgently wanted to get back.We asked Dorothy whether there was someone who could take care for her and her son, Stevie. She told us that she already had called her father in New Jersey."Rico took Dorothy to the office. "Do you like a cup of coffe?" he asked. "And I think that I even keep a package of cookies in my desk.""No coffee for me, thanks, but maybe, Stevie would like to have a cookie", Dorothy replied.When Rico opened the first drawer of his desk, he looked at Angelina´s photo. If she hadn´t left him, maybe, they would also have a baby now. He squinted, took the package of cookies out of the drawer, and reached one cookie to Stevie.While watching Stevie merely nibbling at the cookie, Rico listened to Dorothy´s explanations.Rico recalled, "She had lost her job as a waitress, owned only little money, and didn´t know what to do when Morty Prize appeared. He asked her to come to his room. Dorothy really thought that he only wanted to be nice, but, in fact, he asked her to pay in a speacial way. When he attacked her, she desperately grabbed a knife and stabbed him to death.Dorothy was afraid that her husband, Danny, could find her. But then Castillo appeared. He told her that Danny had been arrested when he rampaged in Dos´ and Cannata´s club. He had caused a high demage to property, had aimed an unregistered gun on the guests, and injured three people."When Rico left the office, it was already dawning. He was tired, but confident. Rico knew that a new and interesting case was awaiting him when he returned to the office later that day. There was only one thing he knew exactly, if Castillo asked for a volunteer, he would take the job immediately!IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: ROSELLA´S SECRET

61. ROSELLA´S SECRETRico told," The next day, Sonny told me about the things he had learned from Robbie. Robbie had claimed that it was a punishment to be Cannata´s son. He hadn´t had many friends because everybody had known that his father was a gangster. Robbie rarely received invitations to birthday parties or other events. After Robbie had left high school, he changed his name.Then, Castillo walked in and asked about the case of the massage salon. Of course, I vonlunteered immediately in case that he wanted to plant someone in the massage salon." He laughed. "Sonny immediately protested against it because he had gotten no chance to apply for this job."Rico´s grin became as wide as the Mississippi at high water. He pointed at his chest and proclaimed, "And the winner is... Ricardo Tubbs!"Stan started laughing, but Sonny only made faces.As Trudy had told him before, the club was lead by a man named Ivory Jones who was claimed to be a good friend to Carlos Silva. It was said that Silva smuggled drugs in a big amount, but, as it happened very often, they couldn´t prove it. Jones, apparently, not only offered hookers, but also drugs that he, possibly, bought from Silva."After we´d made our plans and before I entered the club a wire was hidden at my chest. (29 - ROSELLA)Once inside, I asked Ivory Jones for a VERY HOT woman, and he showed an album to me. We chatted for a while, and then I decided for Franchy, a white woman with light - brown curls.It started in a perfect way. She asked me whether I wanted to go on an trip with her and I knew that she was talking about using drugs", Rico recalled.He continued while grinning, " On the other hand, this was the most DANGEROUS moment because the last thing I wanted to do was to take my clothes off and to go on a trip with her. But then, glass broke with rattling noises, and a man stormed out of another room, claiming that SHE had bitten him.So, I got to know Rosella. She was a strange woman, a drug user who didn´t want to tell us her name at the beginning... and Ivory still claimed that he had nothing to do with drugs. About Silva, he said that they weren´t friends any longer.Then, Gina and Trudy showed Ivory pictures with Silva and the snappy woman on them. So, we found out her name: Rosella Maestress."Rico told, "From the beginning, I had a strange feeling concerning Rosella. She claimed that she had fled to Ivory to escape from Silva and his protégé, Roberto Penaro. For me, she was a spoiled brat who tried to play us all off against each other."After he returned home, Rico spoke with his mother on the phone. She told him about everything that was happening around her, but Rico hardly listened. Later, he visited Tom´s Bar, and returned home again around midnight.The next morning, he learned that Rosella´s intended husband, Enrico Alcaide, had been killed by a carbomb, that a young man had taken away Rosella from the hospital, and that three of Ivory´s employees didn´t own valid papers. As Ivory didn´t want to get punished, he was willing to help Vice... and he had an indication for the detectives.Rico recalled, "The next morning at dawn, we drove to a little, lonely bay where Silva apparently expected a drug delivery. Hidden behind a bush, I watched a motorboat with Roberto Penaro in it driving from a yacht to the beach. Honestly, I felt disappointed about this unimaginative way of drug smuggling. But after the motorboat had returned to the yacht, it suddenly exploded."He continued, "We asked for support that should search in the bay not only for the remains of the crew, but also for survivors. Unfortunately, nobody had survived, and there wasn´t enough left from the people on the boat to identify anybody. We KNEW that Silva had killed Roberto Penaro, but we didn´t know the reason, and we couldn´t prove it.Again, we asked Ivory for help. He told us about a boat auction where Silva, in any case, would appear. We went to the auction and discovered that Rosella, filled up with drugs, was with Silva, who was interested in a special yacht. Sonny provoked him to offer a very high prize for the boat. So, we got connected to him and received an invitation to a party at his villa that evening.Silva was living in a very impressive villa where a lot of photos of Rosella were hanging on the walls and were standing on every free space. He was absolutely mad about her, but that didn´t suit to his behavior. If you love someone, you want to prevent this person from every damage. Silva did nothing to help Rosella to fight against her drug addiction."Rico was worried. Silva was willing to do everything because of his obsession in consider of Rosella, and Rosella would sell her mother to the devil when he promised to give her drugs for the rest of her life.At 8:30 a.m., Rico was sitting at his desk again and trying to call Ivory, who knew Silva and his bad tricks well. But Ivory didn´t pick up. It increased Rico´s worry that he couldn´t reach Ivory who had gotten the order to stay at home.So, where was Ivory?Rico recalled, "I had thought that Rosella was Silva´s mistress, but the truth was absolutely different. She was his daughter, and she became a drug user because, for her, it was the only way to cope with that unbelievable situation. She told us about everything after she had shot her father to death. There had been no other way to escape from him, except from killing him."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: DEAD OR ALIVE!

• 2 weeks later...

62. DEAD OR ALIVERico recalled," Sometimes, we experienced almost unbelievable and strange things. One of the most frightening cases in my life was the thing with Maximilian Il de Fance or Papa Legba, as his followers called him. I hadn´t heard about him until the day when Castillo ordered us to drive to the airport. Legba had died in Haiti, but wanted to be buried in Miami. We should convince ourselves that the man really was dead and that he was laying in his coffin.On the way, I asked Sonny for more information. He told me that Legba had been a high priest, a big number with a lot of power and influence, and therefore many enemies. He came to Miami after he´d been unwelcomed in Haiti. Sonny had been working on this case for three years, but all the witnesses were too afraid that Legba could use voodoo to punish them.I laughed at Sonny because I didn´t believe in voodoo, witchcraft, and things like that.Sonny didn´t laugh. With serious expressions, he told me about Legba´s killer troups, the Soubabs.I could hardly calm myself down because it as too funny to listen to my, normally, indigenous friend as he was talking about witchcraft with serious expressions.When I was a child, I, of course, believed in magic, and more than once I had imagined how exciting and adventurous it would be to have a nanny like Mary Poppins. Raphael got me back to the facts. He told me that Mary Poppins´ real name was Julie Andrews, that she only was an actrice, and that nobody ever could stuff a floor lamp into a purse. That´s the way how dreams burst!At the airport, Sonny really wanted to have a look at Legba´s body. (30 - TALE OF A GOAT) The man was dead! I watched as the coffin with the body in it was put into a he****. The driver, a young Afro - American, looked serious. Besides that, a policeman, Josh Henderson, should accompany him.Sitting in the Ferrari, we waited for the he**** to come. It took some time because of the heavy traffic. Then, we followed the he**** to the mortician´s. Everything seemed to be OK. The funeral should be the next day, and thereafter, Legba would be history... I thought that it was, but I was mistaken."After quitting time, Rico decided to jog on the beach. While running through the sand, he thought about that "voodoo - rubbish", voodoo - ghosts, and dead people who came to life again. What nonsens!But it was weird for him that his sober thinking boss had been infected with that stuff.He mistrusted a body!When someone shouted, "Angelina!", he stopped and turned around. For a moment, his heart stopped beating. That happened very often to him when someone called that name or when he discovered a person who looked similar to Angelina. But then he found out that, in this case, Angelina was a little girl with long, black curls.The next morning, Trudy jokingly asked him about Legba. "How is he doing, Rico?"Rico grinned. "He´s dead. I think that they go to too much trouble. What´s with your case?"Rico knew that Gina and Trudy were investigating the case of a young, unknown woman who had been found in the Miami River yesterday morning.Gina sighed. "Nobody seems to know her. Apparently, she´s Latin - American, and 20 - 25 years old. The doctor said that there´s no indication of regularly drug use, but there´s evidence that somebody raped her."Trudy added, "He thinks that she was raped more than once during the last weeks because of healed up scars.""In the afternoon, we drove to Legba´s funeral. Many followers dressed in white paid tribute to Legba. I discovered a beautiful woman, but when I told Sonny about her, he only laughed and answered that her name was Marie. She´d been Legba´s ex - girlfriend", Rico told.He continued, "Then, everything turned upside down. First, Legba´s son, Romulus, appeared. He had a short argument with Marie before dragging her away. A moment later, two guys on motorbikes appeared and shot the coffin almost to pieces before they disappeared.Sonny and I ran to the grave. Immediately, the coffin was opened, but we found only the head of a goat.The coffin was confiscated. Then, we returned to the office. I couldn´t understand WHY someobdy had stolen the body and WHERE. The only possibilty to change the coffin against another coffin had been at the airport after we had left the he****.An hour later, we met with Dr. O´Hara who told us that they had found a hose in the coffin that had been connected to the ventilation. He was sure that Legba was alive!"Rico still amused himself with that case. Voodoo, dead people who are alive, and Zombies were ingredients for a horror movie. Dr. O´Hara told them about the poison - Tetrodoxin - that could paralyse somebody to kill him. But he claimed that one could have good chances if he survived the first 48 hours. Unfortunately, he would have brain demage. But Rico was sure that someone who used fish poison couldn´t be off his rocker, anyhow.Rico told, "We decided to observe Silvio Romulus, Legba´s son, because we were sure that he knew where his father was. We found out that he not only took care for his father´s businesses, but also of his ex - girlfriend, Marie. Therse observations were the most nerve - wracking parts of our job. I can´t tell how many hours in my life I´ve been spending sitting in a car and watching someone or following him from A to B.Two days later, we followed Romulus to a casino. Again, we had to wait. I was tired, sweatting, and my most urgent wish was to return home and to have a shower.But then my tiredness disappeared because we discovered Legba´s men, and for a moment, we also discovered Legba himself. He could hardly walk and shored up on a stick. A few minutes later, we found the bodies of Romulus and his men.We drove to Marie and found her packing. She knew what had happened with Romulus. Therefore, she wanted to leave. She behaved cool, calculating, and egoistically. She didn´t want to see all the bad things Legba had done. Nevertheless, she was willing to stay with Gina on the St, Vitus to protect herself from Legba´s men."As Rico couldn´t find sleep because of all the thoughts that were twisting around in his mind, he went to Tom. He sat at the bar, drank slowly his Mojito, and let his look travel around. A blond woman raised her glass, smiling at him. Rico politely returned the gesture before turning around. He wasn´t in the mood for female company.Eventually, he returned home, but tossed and turned around until dawn. He hardly fell asleep when the telephone started ringing. Swearing, he touched over the bedside table until he found the telephone and picked it up.It was Sonny who told him that some guys had attacked Gina and Marie, and that they had kidnapped the woman."I drove to the office where I met Gina on the parking lot. She told me that Marie had told her about the voodoo worship. If someone wanted to participate the ceremony, he should come to the crossing at 1st street and Main. There, someone wold call for him and take him to the Big Sanctuary", Rico recalled, and continued, "I asked Gina about Trudy. She told me that Trudy tried to find out furthermore who the girl was that had ben found in the Miami River.While Gina was telling Castillo abut the things she had learned about last night, I thought about what to do to rescue Marie. I didn´t believe in voodoo and I was convinced that it all was a big fraud... but this story had almost cost my life."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: ALMOST LOST! According to Rico Tubbs

63. ALMOST LOST!According to Rico Tubbs"Suddenly, I had the idea to plant myself into the party. In fact, it was our only chance to catch Legba and to rescue Marie. Sonny was against this idea because he thought that it was too dangerous, but I urgently watend to do it.Lester gave me a magnetical transmitter I could fasten on the vehicle. It should lead my colleagues to the Big Sanctuary.While getting ready, I asked myself more than once if I was crazy. I thought about the things that could happen:For a reason I didn´t know, the transmitter could stop working, or the vehicle drove to a completely different place after the passengers had left it.Maybe, the passengers had to change into another vehicle somewhere so that Legba´s enemies couldn´t find out where the Big Sanctuary was...One can´t stop thoughts like this...In time, I arrived at the crossing. I still was feeling queasy and worried. Then, a truck arrived. The driver sounded his horn and I followed the truck to a parking lot. There was no more time to think about my worry. I gave some money to the driver because with that gesture one can always make friends.Before I entered the truck, I secretly fastened the transmitter on the truck.In the truck, simply wooden benches were screwed to the bottom. On these benches, I discovered Afro - Americans of all genders and ages. The youngest girl was about 15 years old, the oldest one was certainly at the end of his seventies.I sat down on a free space and listened to them while the truck was leaving the parking lot, driving through the city, and eventually was turning into an untared road.The followers were talking about the Loas, that, apparently, were living in us, and with a lot respect about Papa Legba, who succeeded to cross the border between life and death and to return. They all wanted to become obsessed by the Loas. I didn´t want it. I felt as if I was the only sensible thinking man between lunatics.The trip lasted for about two hours. We stopped at three different places where more followers entered the truck. At each stop, we´ve been waiting for about 10 or 15 minutes before we drove off again. After the last stop, the truck was crowded.I couldn´t see anything because of the hood, but first we had used tared roads and I could hear a lot of noises of the lively city around us. Later, we turned into an untared road and left all the noises behind.Eventually, we stopped at a villa. It was uninhabited and it was unfurnished but several fire - basins were spread out in the rooms. Obviously, herbs were burned because a strange, spicy, and mind confusing smell was filling the air.We were ordered to go to a big room that probably had been the living room in the past. I let my eyes travel in hope to discover Marie while Legba was sitting on something similar to a throne. He told us that this was the night of the Loas.Honestly, I don´t remember his words because I thought that it all was rubbish... and so I did until today, despite the things that had happened later.I couldn´t find Marie what made me worry, but I discovered a terrarium with a big snake in it. I hoped that the terrarium was safe because I always hated snakes. While watching the snake, we, suddenly, were pushed out of the house to the garden where a big fire was burning.I only thought about what to do if Marie wasn´t here. Maybe, she was dead or held prisoner somewhere else. But then I discovered her. She seemed to be filled up with drugs because she moved mechanically and not as passionately as the other followers.I tried to get closer to her while asking myself why Sonny and the others didn´t arrive. Today, I must say that I had behaved foolishly when I let Legba out of my eyes and didn´t wait for Sony´s arrival. But, in the past, I was convinced that I could rescue Marie on my own. So many people were running around that I thought that Legba wouldn´t notice if two of them disappeared. In fact, he knew already that I was a policeman, and HE was watching ME.I tried to drag Marie away, but we didn´t get that far. Suddenly, Legba appeared and made me fall with his damn stick. Then, his men tored me up to drag me to Legba´s "throne". I felt a bloody fear and wished that Sonny arived right now. I had no idea that the magnetic transmitter had fallen off and that my friend desperately tried to find out where the Big Sanctuary was.Marie was laying lifeless to the half over the throne´s armrest. I couldn´t see whether she was only filled up with drugs or if she was dead.While trying to watch her, Legba gave me a lecture about the Loas I didn´t believe in. The whole time, two of his men were clinching my arms. Then, he ordered them to take off my jacket before forcing me to knee down.Feared to death, I tried to fend them off, but I had no chance against these muscular guys. My hope that Sonny could rescue me didn´t come true either.When I discovered the syringe in Legba´s hand, I immediately remembered Dr. O´Hara´s lecture, but I couldn´t do anything. One of the guys pressed the muzzle of his gun in the skin beneath my left shoulder blade.I stared at Legba who told me that the dose wasn´t lethal. Then, he pricked the needle into my arm. I heard him saying that HE would be a policeman on Haiti again after he had paid bribe, but I would NEVER work as a policeman again because my nerves would be too sensitive.I felt as the poison was having an effect on my body. All my muscles started trembling and aching as if thousands little needles were pricking my skin. The tremor grew to unbelievably aching cramps that caught my breath. But before I lost consciousness, I heard Legba´s voice. Once, it was clear, a moment later it wasn´t. Sometimes, I saw everythig clearly, sometimes, it was blurry. I was so hot as if I was sitting on an oven. My mind was working clearly, but my body didn´t react o the orders I gave to him. I pulled myself together. The strong will that I always had hindered my total break down.I saw as Legba walked up to Marie and strangled her to death... or not? Thereafter, he returned to me and claimed that I had no legs. It was crazy, but from that moment, I didn´t feel my legs. Then, he told me that I had no will... and I could feel as my resistance disappeard. I was nothing more like a puppet on a string.I noticed as the guys were dragging me away, and the last words that I heard came from Legba who shouted that my world would turn dark now.Then, I lost consciousness."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: WORRY ABOUT RICO According to Sonny Crockett

• 2 weeks later...

64. WORRY ABOUT RICOAccording to Sonny Crockett"The transmitter had fallen off when the truck crossed a pothole. After I´d found it laying on the ground, Gina and I did everything possible to find Rico. Rico was my best friend, he counted on me, and I knew that he was in mortal danger. He didn´t take Legba and the danger of this unscrupulous man seriously enough.In any case, I thought that I was crazy when I found the transmitter. From the place where I´d found it, there was no indicaion in what direction the truck could have driven.I gave Gina all the hints that I had about the Big Sanctuary. It must have been situated outside of the city, at a lonely place, and there must be a roof on it. That was all I knew.The whole team searched the whole night for the Big Sanctuary, but it was already dawning when we discovered the building by accident.About half an hour later, we found Rico, who was laying lifeless in an empty swimming - pool, covered with several branches with leaves on it.By helicopter, Rico was taken to the Biscayne General hospital. Dr. O´Hara promised to do everything he could to save Rico´s life, but unfortunately he neither knew exactly about WHAT Legba had injected him, nor about how high the dose was, or WHEN he injected it.A blood sample was sent to the lab, but it would take some time to investigate it. But Dr. O´Hara, however, assumed that Legba had injected the fish poison, Tetrodoxin. Eventually, he knew that Legba loved this stuff a lot.I decided to stay with Rico, no matter how long it would take for him to recover. Rico was laying lifeless in the bed, and while sitting at his side, several thoughts were twisting around in my mind:Rico had talked about if it would be possible to put Weldon up in a special foundation. I had said something like, "A nursing home for crazy policemen?"And he had replied that this would be very useful.Then I thought about Dr. O´Hara´s words that one COULD survive after using Tetradoxin, but that brain demage would be left. I was worried that I only could visit my best friend in a psychiatric ward after he woke up.Suddenly, he moved. Rico tossed and turned himself around, started trembling, shouting, and sweatting. He was speaking, but I couldn´t understand a word. I only took him in my arms and desperately rang for the doctor.While injecting Rico an anti serum, Dr. O´Hara told me that Legba, in fact, had injected Rico the fish poison. Fortunately, he had only given Rico a minor dose. Nevertheless, we had to wait. Probably, many hours had gone by after the injection until we had found him.The whole night, Rico was in delirious with fever. His heart was racing, and again and again, he got cramps in his muscles. He was talking about his legs that allegedly had disappeared, and he complained about the dreadful darkness around.During the night, Dr. O´Hara gave him two more injections. He was woried and told me that Rico hardly had the chance to survive if the fever didn´t sink down, and the heartbeat didn´t calm down before dawn.I did everythig to calm Rico down, but it all was in vain. Fortunately, the fever sank down. It hadn´t disappeared until dawn, but the fact that it slowly sank down showed that Rico was recovering. But he was furthermore haunted by dreadful nightmares and the pain also returned. I felt absolutely desperate and helpless.Then, his words became clearer. He was dreaming about Legba and Marie, and again and again he repeated a ships name: Blackbird.With this ship, Legba wanted to return to Haiti.At noon, the fever had almost disappeared, but he was affected by one very bad cramp. I tried to hold him in my arms because I was worried that he could fall off the bed. But suddenly, he put his hands around my neck and pressed it. I desperately shouted his name because I was feared that he would strangle me to death. His power in this moment was unbelievably strong.He heard my voice, loosened his fingers, and started crying. Of course, he felt relieved, but he was also sad, almost desperate, when he told me that Legba had killed Marie.I promised him to take care for Legba and to find out when the Blackbird would sail. I was absolutely happy that Rico was feeling much better. He could move his arms and legs, his speech was normal, and he had no mask - like expressions like Legba. This would have been signs for brain demage. But Dr. O´Hara also warned that it wasn´t over."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER RICO´S PROBATION TEST

• 2 weeks later...

65.RICO´S PROBATION TESTAfter Sonny and Castillo had left the hospital, Rico stayed behind alone. He needed the silence to sort all the thoughts and memories that were spinning around in his mind. He urgently had to put them into the right order, but it wasn´t easy for him.Again and again, Legba´s picture appeared in front of his eyes, and he heard the man´s prediction that his nerves would be very sensitive now, and that he could never work as a policeman again.Did Legba really have so much power over him? Or was it just a hallucination? Something like a placebo - effect?He THOUGHT that his nerves are very sensitive and therefore it was so? But actually, he didn´t want to believe it. Legba´s chatting was only hocus - pocus and his resurrection and all the other "amazing" things were scientifically explainable.Rico was determined not to believe in the stuff Legba had told him. His nerves were OK, and he would be able to work as a policemen until his retirement."Voodoo!" he scornfully thought. "What rubbish!""How do we feel today?" Dr. O´Hara asked when entering the room a moment later.Rico grinned. "I don´t know how you are feeling, but I´m doing OK."Dr. O´Hara shone into his eyes with a small lamp. "You made us really worry. What luck that he´d only given you a small dose of Tetrodoxin and that your friends had found you early enough. I think that you can go home in two or three days."Rico didn´t tell him that he was determined to leave the hospital as soon as he had found out when the Blackbird was to sail. It was HIS job to arrest Legba, and it was HIS chance to prove himself that he really could work as a policeman furthermore.In the evening, Sonny told him that the Blackbird was to leave Miami in three days."That´s great", Rico replied. "Dr. O´Hara promised that I can go home in two or three days, and I urgently want to arrest Legba by myself."Worriedly, Sonny looked at him. "Are you sure that you can do that, pal? You´d been in a damn bad condition. Maybe, you should let us do the job."Stubborn, Rico shook his head. "I MUST accompany you, Sonny. I urgently need to find out whether I´m still the man I´d been in the past."The following two nights were very restless. Again and again, Rico dreamed of Marie´s murder, of the fire in the bassins, and Legba who came closer and closer, holding the syringe in his hand, but the needle in his dream wasn´t short, but as long as a spear.When he woke up after such a dream, breathless and drenched with sweat, he asked himself whether his decision to go to the harbor was right. But then he made himself aware that he had to do it. If he couldn´t work as a policeman any longer, he wanted to know about it now. Besides that, he thought that the only way to get rid of his nightmares was to arrest Legba.Rico recalled, "The Blackbird was to leave the harbor at eight a.m. I had a cup of coffee at a coffee - shop before we drove to the harbor. Probably, everybody can imagine how nervous I felt, but I tried to hide it.We took position close to Legba´s polished camper that was waiting for its loading. While waiting, I thought about the question that was the biggest nightmare for me: What should I do if I couldn´t work as a policeman any longer? Never in my life I had thought about it because it had been my biggest wish to become a policeman since I´ve been eight years old. It was the time when Raphael went to the police academy.Suddenly, it started, and all my thoughts were pushed away. The midget appeared on the Blackbird and shot at us. I felt paralysed, couldn´t move, and he would have killed me if Sonny hadn´t dragged me away. While cowering on the ground, I was amazed and worried about Legba´s influence on me at the same time. It seemed to be much bigger that I had imagined it to be.Then, I discovered Legba who lft the camper with dragging steps. I followed him in determination to catch him, to destroy his influence on me, and to drive away the nightmares out of my head.Sonny stayed close to me to intervene in emergency.It was hard for me to fight against Legba´s influence, but I´always been stubborn. If I really wanted to do something, I succeedd. And now I wanted to be the man again that I´d been in the past."Legba noticed that Ricow as following him. He turned around and stared at Rico, who immediately felt how his muscles paralysed. In front of his eyes, he could see the flames again.After the vision disappeared, he found out that Legba had also disappeared. He saw clearly that the flames he always could "see" were part of Legba´s hypnosis. If they went out, Leba´s power would end.After several more visions, he suddenly knew that he ´d been mistaken in one thing: Marie wasn´t dead!Legba had anaesthetized her to take her back to Haiti.This knowledge gave him the power to withstand Legba´s next try to keep him away from shooting. Determied, he raised his gun and pulled the trigger.After Legba was dead, Rico searched for Marie. He found her hidden under a hinged seat of the camper."Thereafter, I felt very tired", he admitted, and continued,"I wished to take some days off, but with Vice, we rarely had enough time to recover."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: A MAN LIKE RAMBO

• 2 weeks later...

66. A MAN LIKE RAMBORico recalled," I watched as Legba´s body was rescued out of the water before Sonny took me home. I was glad to know that I would be able to work as a policeman furthermore."In the evening, he called his mother in New York, and happily he listened to the stories that she told him. Thereafter, Rico went to the church to light a candle. As he was a religious man, Rico was convinced that God had a lot to do with his luck.Later, Rico visited Tom´s Bar. For a while, he chatted with Tom´s wife, Helen, who was working behind the bar that evening."If you have almost died or were close to losing your mind, you see many things in a different way", Rico admitted. "You become aware that you´ve been living on a treadmill day by day and haven´t realized many things.That evening, I only wanted to visit my favorite places and talk with people who were important to me... except of Sonny and the other Vice colleagues. It was a fantastic feeling to know that I had survived."After two days off from work, Rico returned to the office. He listened to Larry, who was fooling around with Stan, and then, he listened to Trudy, who was bothering with someone on the phone. Apparently, it was about the case of the nameless woman from the Miami River she and Gina still were working on."It was great to be back", Rico recalled, and continued,"I couldn´t wait to work on the next case to prove to myself that I was really OK.Our next case was about a drug dealer named Herera, a very dangerous man. For that reason, the drug squad wanted to send us an experienced man, Thompson, to support us in catching Herera.Thompson was a guy like Rambo. Cool! Emotionsless! Arrogant! For him, it was clear that he would get the main part of the action, but in the end, it ended up in a big disgrace for Thompson. (31 - BUSHIDO)Thompson should meet with Herera in a public comfort station, but just a moment before they met, a civilian had entered the building. After he had left, we stormed in and found Thompson, bound and with his trousers around his ankles while Herera was hanging headlong, dead, and powdered with cocaine over another toilette.Later, we found out that the civilian´s name was Jack Gretsky. He was an ex - secret service agent, one of Castillo´s old friends, and he had escaped with half a million dollars. But Casillo warned us because Gretsky was very dangerous. More dangerous than Herera.The next morning, Rico was sitting at his desk to write his report about the Legba case. It wasn´t easy for him to do that. The thoughts about the occurences made him feel worried, but that showed him that he wasn´t completely finished with it.At noon, he took a break, and went to a restaurant with Sonny."Gretsky seems to be a very dangerous man", Rico said while eating his Ratatouille."Nevertheless, Castillo turned down our offer for support", Sonny replied while cutting a piece of his steak."There are many things in Castillo´s life we know nothing about. I think at the scene in the Siamese restaurant where he suddenly spoke in the Siamese language. Did you know before that he´d been working at the border between Siam and Burma for three years?""No", Sonny admitted.In an unbelievable gesture, Rico shook his head. "When I saw him fighting against the Siamese, I thought that I was watching the wrong movie. Besides that, it seems to me as if he knows Gretsky well."Sonny nodded. "I agree. Did you see the smile on his face when he recognized Gretsky on the surveillance video?""Yes", Rico confirmed, and continued," And I can´t remember seeing him smiling before."Rico told, "On the way back to the office, I saw Gina speaking with a pretty Afro - American woman. When I told Sonny about my interest on the woman, he laughed and replied that I was really healthy again. Apparently, I didn´t pay any attention to the pretty nurses in the hospital.UNfortunately, I hadn´t time to think about Gina´s pretty friend. I had to pay all my attention to the case we were working on.One evening, Castillo ordered us to come to a Budist temple where he had shot Gretsky during an emergency.I think that it was only a little comfort for him that Doc Brennan told him about Gretsky´s fatally cancer desease later.Eventually, Gretsky was married and father of a boy. Therefore, I think that Castillo, in his opinion, was responsible for Ms. Gretsky and her child now.At least, this case had a lot to do with the KGB, the Russian secret service. They were behind the Gretskys because both of them had been working for the KGB.Sometime, Castillo told me that you´ll never leave the secret service if you´ve been working for them once.At the end, the KGB agents were dead, Casillo was badly injured, and $40,000 of the 500,000 were still missing. But Castillo claimed that he would get the rest tomorrow. He was really an unbelievable man."IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: RAPED!

67. RAPED!"Didn´t you want to introduce me to your pretty friend you were talking to a few days ago?" Rico asked Gina.Gina frowned. "My pretty friend? Who are you talking about, Rico?"Rico told her where he had seen Gina and the woman, and what she´d looked like."That´s Odette", Gina told him.Rico showed her his irresistable smile. "At the moment, I´ve got a lot of time for a pretty romantic relationship. Candle lit dinner, a walk along the beach under a full moon...""Sounds tempting", Trudy interferred.Then, Sonny stormed into the office. "Don´t get yourself too comfortable, Tubbs. I´ve recieved a hint.""The guy, the hint was about only wanted to do one business act, to transform $5,000 into 50,000, and that´s it! But the amount that we found with him was big enough to send him to prison for 15 years. The guy, Sid, was so afraid that he told us about a big deal that should happen the next morning", Rico told.In the evening, Rico went to his favorite bar where Tom drew his attention to two men at a table in the corner."They´re talking about stuff and buying rates", Tom confided while raising both of his hands. "I know that stuff can mean EVERYTHING, but coincidentally Miami is situated close to some countries from where a lot of forbidden stuff is always smuggled into our country." Tom looked at the two men. "What do you think? Do they look like dealers?"Amused, Rico asked,"What do you think how dealers look like?"While getting Rico´s drink, Tom thought about it. "Expensive suits, very expensive jewlery, and showy cars", he replied.Rico agreed, but without saying a word. He could have extended this list, but he wasn´t sure whether Tom would tell him so many things furthermore if he started mistrusting him because of his knowledge in these things, and if he had found out that Rico was a policeman."For me, they don´t look like dealers", he replied.Rico recalled," The deal Sid had told us about was to happen at 7 a.m.. Therefore, we met at five, spoke again about our plans, and gave our last orders to very nevous Sid before driving to the warehouse.I was sitting next to Sonny and listening to Sid´s voice that was coming out of the radio. (32 - BOUGHT AND PAID FOR) But after Sid had mentioned the keyword and we were stormed into the warehouse, we didn´t find one crumb of cocaine because the deal wasn´t about drugs, but about synthetic sweetener. And the main actor in this ridiculous, but also irritating play, was Izzy Moreno.When I returned to the office to speak with the arrested "gangster", I found out that he was one of the men I had seen in Tom´s Bar."While returning to his desk, he heard as Gina invited Sonny for dinner. He thought about that he hadn´t had a date for a long time. Either his job spoiled his plans or he was interested in the wrong woman, for example Charlene. Again, he hoped that Gina introdced him to her friend, Odette.Rico turned his attention to the file on his desk again. Three dead junkies had been found with the needle stuck in their arm. The rest of the stuff that could be sized in the syringes was dirty, and it was neither cocaine nor heroine, but six acethylmorphin.Rico didn´t know that much about that stuff and therefore started searching for information while Sonny and Gina were leaving.Rico recalled,"Then, my telephone started ringing. Gina was at the other end of the line. She sounded very excited when she told me that someone had raped Odette in her apartment. Sonny was chasing after the guy, who´d been leaving the apartment complex when Sonny and Gina arrived.Gina asked me to take care for the investigations in her apartment. She, herself, wanted to take Odette to the Biscayne General.I informed Castillo about what had happened before driving to Gina´s apartment. I thought about Odette, and remembered the beaming smile on her face when I saw her chatting with Gina on the sidewalk.In the apartment, I found the tracks that told me about Odette´s desperate, but futil tries to fend the raper off. The guy hadn´t even tried to blur his tracks. Therefore, I thought that it had been a spontaneous action and that the attacker hadn´t had anough time to blur his tracks because he heard Gina coming home.But I was mistaken. The guy, Nick Aroyo had planned the action. His father, Bolivian General Octavio Aroyo, was a wealthy man who could afford paying expensive lawyers who always helped Nick taking his head out of a tight spot. His son was one of the most eligable bachelors in America. Nevertheless, he loved raping women, and even though I was convinced that we would pin Aroyo down, I had to learn that I, again, was mistaken."After Rico returned to the office, he pushed the files of the dead junkies aside. He had just filled his cup with freshly brewed coffee when Sonny stormed in."Something new?" Rico wanted to know."No", Sonny replied. "Odette always repeats the the rapist was a gringo, but Gina told me that Odette had been working for a Bolivian General, who´s living in Key Biscayne... and Aroyo IS living there!"Rico sat down at his desk. "I tell you, man, Odette´s afraid.""Of course, she´s afraid", Sonny replied while also sitting down. "Who can blame her for that? When I caught Aroyo on the expressway, he told me that the most beautiful women ask him for it, and that it wouldn´t be necessary for him to rape someone.""That he doesn´t need it doesn´t mean that he isn´t able to do it", Rico told. "Maybe, it´s more fun for him that way."Rico recalled, "Short before quitting time, Gina called to tell us that Aroyo had been Odette´s boss, but Nick always chased after her, groped her, and had whispered dirty things in her ear. After Ms. Sanchez, the maid, had told her that Nick had raped Odette´s predecessor, Nelly Guerrero, Odette quit. About Nelly, she only knew that she´d been nineteen and had come from El Salvadore.Two days later, Gina asked me and Sonny whether we were keen on going out with her and Odette. I was still interested in getting to know Odette, and therefore I said yes.It was a wonderful evening. We visited a club, had some drinks, chatted, and I danced with Odette all night long. She seemed to be very happy, and I was sure that I could help her to forget what Aroyo had done."It was late when Rico took Odette home. She thanked him for this beautiful evening and Rico replied, "We can repeat it whenever you want."Odette nodded while giving him a beaming smile. "That would be great. Thank you, Rico."She leaned towards him and gave him a quick kiss on his cheek bfor wishing him a good night, and leaving the car.Rico´s look followed her when she ran to the house. Then, he put his foot down and drove home. There, a surprise was awaiting him.IN THE NEXT CAPTER: AN UNEXPECTED VISITOR

68. AN UNEXPECTED VISITORWhen Rico put the key into the keylock to open the main door, he suddenly felt a hand laying on his right shoulder. For a moment, he grew stiff, awaiting to feel the muzzle of a gun in his back. But as it didn´t happen, he spun around, punched the person behind him on the jaw, and sent him to the ground."Are you crazy, man?" a familiar male voice horrifiedly complained.Unbelievably, Rico asked,"Ray? Is it really you, Ray?""Great", Ray groaned. "At least, you recognize me before killing me!"Raymond Tubbs, Rico´s Jamaican cousin, got back on his feet while rubbing his aching chin. "Man, you´ve got a blow like a steam hammer!""What are you doing here, Ray?" Rico wanted to know. He still couldn´t believe that his cousin was standing in front of him."For the last three days, I had business to do in Miami, and I wanted to surprise you after it was finished", Ray replied while entering the house.Rico pushed the elevator button, and the doors opened immediately."You should´ve called me first", Rico said. He pushed the button for the 8th floor, and slowly the doors closed."Man, one calls it a surprise because it happens unexpectedly. I thought you knew about that", Ray answered with a big grin on his face."Of course, I know about that, but I thought that YOU know that I´m always very busy. I don´t spend that much time at home. It could´ve happened that you spend the whole night waiting for me in front of my apartment", Rico told while they were walking along the hallway.In the apartment, Rico curiously looked Ray up and down. Ray was a bit taller than Rico, but a belly, that hadn´t been there in the past, was bulging under his shirt."You put on a lot of weight", Rico honestly told.Grinning, Ray sat down on the couch and crossed his legs. "In contrast to you.""How long do you want to stay?" Rico wanted to know."My return flight to Montego Bay goes the day after tomorrow.""Are you hungry? Thirsty?" Rico asked.Ray laughed. "Stay cool, Rico!"With a look at his watch, Rico jumped up. "Tom´s Bar will be open for two hours. Come on, I want to show you my favorite bar, and of course I´ll take a day off tomorrow and the day after tomorrow."Rico and Ray walked to Tom´s Bar. On the way, Rico learned that Ray and his wife separated a few weeks ago, and that Uncle Joseph was feeling much better now."He´s playing the dictator, controls the guest house and the garden every day, and one will be very sorry if something doesn´t get his own way. Sometimes, my mother is really desperate because he´s so pedantic. But I think that they would be very happy to see you again", Ray said.They arrived at Tom´s Bar where they were welcomed with the song "Walking On Sunshine". The smoke of many cigarettes enveloped them. But the bar wasn´t as crowded as Rico had expected it to be.They sat down at the bar. Rico ordered the mandatory Mojito for himself and beer for Ray.While drinking, they talked about a lot of things, started with the good old times and the question, "Do you remember...?"Ray told Rico about the changes in Paradiese View, and about how fantastic business was running.When Tom closed the bar, Rico and Ray returned to Rico´s apartment. Rico made the couch ready for his cousin, and as Ray had drank too much beer, he immediately fell asleep after his head touched the pillow.Rico waited until 7:30 a.m. before he called Castillo to ask him for two days off because of his unexpected visitor. After Castillo agreed, Rico went to bed.He thought about Odette and that he wanted to meet her again after Ray had left Miami. With the thoughts about her, he fell asleep, and woke up hours later when he heard someone rumbling around the apartment.Rico needed a moment until he realized that it was Ray, who was working in his kitchen.Rico swung his long, muscular legs out of the bed and walked to the kitchen. The smell of fried ham and eggs got into his nose."What are you doing, Ray?" Rico surprisingly asked."One calls it making breakfast. In fact, it´s more a mix of lunch and dinner. As I had found all your cupboards empty, I needed to go shopping first. It´ll be ready in a minute", Ray explained."I´m still a vegetarian, Ray!""Oh, really?" Ray seemed to be surprised." And I thought that you, in the meantime, have changed your mind.""I´m a vegetarian by conviction. I´ll never change my view", Rico told.A bit later, they were having breakfast. Ray enjoyed ham and eggs, Rico ate the rolls Ray had also bought, jam, cheese, and some fruits as dessert.Thereafter, they left the apartment to paint the town red and it was far after midnight when they returned.When Rico had to say good - bye to Ray at the airport, he promised to visit Montego Bay as soon as possible.After the plane took off, Rico dove to the department. He was in a fantastic mood and thought about asking Odette whether she would like to go out with him tonight."He, Gina", he said when entering the office. "You´ve got Odette´s telephone number, don´t you?"Gina looked at him in a strange way.Rico smiled at her. "What´s wrong? I only want to invite Odette for dinner."Nobody answered, but all the colleagues looked at him. A bad feeling spread out in Rico´s stomach."What has happened?" he wanted to know.Sonny took a deep breath. "Odette is dead, Rico", he replied.Rico recalled," General Aroyo had taken care for Odette´s mother to fly to Miami. He gave $10,000 to her. For that, she should persuade Odette to withdraw the report... and Odette did it. She claimed that she´d ask Nick Aroyo to come to Gina´s apartment, and even though Gina knew that it was a lie, she couldn´t do anything to prove it.After Odette´s mother returned to Haiti, Nick Aroyo returned to Odette´s house. He raped her again and claimed that he could do this whenever he was keen on doing it because his father had paid $10,000.Odette saw clearly that she could never esape from him. After he had left, she wrote a good - bye letter where she explained everything before slashing open her wrist - arteries.I was steamed! I urgently wanted to drive to Key Biscayne and grab that bastard by his throat, but before I could do anything, Sonny told me that Aroyo was also dead.I hadn´t been in the office for only two days and so many things had happened!The fact was, that Aroyo burgled into Gina´s apartment to rape her, but she took her gun and shot him to death.""We´ve also found Nelly Guerrero", Trudy told."Great", Rico praised.Stan turned his desk chair around. "I wouldn´t say it that way", he interferred. "Her address is cool box number twelve in the pathology lab.""She´s the dead woman from the Miami River", Gina explained. "Ms. Sanchez, Aroyo´s maid, identified her. Now, we only need to find out who had injected the dirty stuff into her vein.""Let´s start!" Rico replied.IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: SONNY´S OLD FRIEND

• 2 weeks later...

69. SONNY´S OLD FRIEND"Of course, I couldn´t forget Odette. Again and again, I could see her in front of my eyes as she was dancing happily with me, showing us the pictures of her mother and her two sisters, and as she was hurrying to the house after telling me good night. More than once, I asked myself whether things would have ended up differently if I had had time for her", Rico told, and continued,"Then, I pushed the thoughts aside. If you´re working in this job, you get crazy when always thinking abouthow things could have ended up if this or that would have been different."Rico took care for the files on his desk again. That the name of the killed woman from the Miami River was Nelly Guerrero meant that Aroyo probably was involved in it, but as far as he knew, the Aroyos never had something to do with drugs.Then, he overheard one of Sonny´s phone calls, and after Sonny hung up, he told Rico that he had gotten a lead to a big deal next morning at dawn.The rest of the day went by with preparations because the private plane with the drugs in it should land on a runway in the middle of the Glades. (33 - BACK IN THE WORLD)Rico recalled, "We were hanging around the whole night out there, fighting against mosquitoes, but when the plane landed, only two boys, almost children, got out of it. With them, we only found some small bags of marijuana.The plane was owned by the father of one of the boys, and I assumed that the boys would spend less time in a cell as I had spent in between the hungry mosquitoes.Then, a helicopter landed and, except for a film team, only one man left it. Sonny knew him well. His name was Ira Stone. he was one of these people who loved chatting, who always sounded nervous, and who always claimed to BE important or to KNOW something important.Ira claimed that he was on the tracks of the biggest drug story of the year because the Sergeant was alive!I had never heard anything about a drug dealer with that name. Later, Sonny told me that Ira had worked as a reporter in Saigon during the war. There, the rumour was running around that a Sergeant would control the trade of heroine.Sometime, Ira had shown him a body bag that not only contained a body, but also drugs to prove that it wasn´t only a rumour. But the Sergeant had a lot of influence, and so there was no way to prove anything."While having lunch together, Ira told them that a big amount of stuff had come to Miami, but it was dirty. Most of the junkies got ill because the stuff was contaminated with acethylmorphin and methanol. This stuff had been used to preserve the bodies.Then, Ira asked Sonny about someone named Captain Maynard.Rico listened with interest.Rico recalled, "Even though, Ira knew about many things, I had the feeling that something was wrong, but Sonny didn´t believe in my feelings.In the office, Gina and Trudy told us that they´d searched around and that they had written a list with the names of dead junkies in New York, Chicago, Boston, and Cleveland on it. They all died because of using the same dirty stuff as Nelly Guerrero and the other three junkies who died in Miami.Unfortunately, nobody could tell us where the dirty stuff had come from."Rico turned his attention to the file of the three junkies and of Nelly Guerrero. In fact, Rico had no earthly idea how these cases were connected to each other, even though this six acethylmorphin had been found in Nelly´s blood sample.Someone had raped Nelly, probably Nick Aroyo, but they neither could ask him nor call him to account.After the rape, somebody injected the drugs into Nelly´s vein. In the investigation report, Rico could read that she had desperately tried to fend the attacker off.So, he was sure that there must have been two attackers, one, who held her, and one, who injected the drugs. Poor Nelly had no chance to escape.In the evening, Rico visited Tom´s Bar and thereafter, he visited some other clubs and bars. He pricked up his ears in hope to learn something new, but when he returned home after midnight, he didn´t know more than before."It drove me almost crazy that I couldn´t find out anything", Rico admitted, and continued, "The next day, Sonny told us that someone had shot at him and Ira with a mortar last night.As Castillo disliked the whole thing with Ira, he ordered Sonny to take care for the man while I should be working with Stan.Stan told me that he knew someone named Harold, who, possibly, could help us. But when we arrived, Harold was in a damn bad condition. He had used drugs that, apparantly, were contaminated with six acethylmorphin.I spoke with Harold while Stan was calling the ambulance. Harold gave me the name of a woman we should talk to: Dakota.Dakota was Afro - American, VERY slim, and VERY cool. She reminded me of a cat on its way to catch a mouse. I had to persuade her to give me priority to another customer, a reporter.""Cool as ice", Stan said on the way bak to Rico´s car."And she knows Stone", Rico replied. He heard the car phone ringing. Sonny was at the other end of the line to tell him that he was close to Maynard´s villa. There, Ira first had picked up a fight with Maynard before stealing the Daytona.Rico took Stan to the OCB first as it was on his way before driving to Maynard´s villa.After he´d picked Sonny up, he told him about what he had learned in the meantime."Ira Stone knows Dakota, and a minute before I arrived here, Gina called to tell me that she knows where the Daytona is", Rico told. "Ira claimed that he´d rented a room in a good hotel, right?"Sonny nodded."That´s a lie. He´s only rented a room in a very cheap motel on the beach. Someone who´s living there, had called the police because, for him, it seemed to be very weird, that someone, who needs to stay in such a bad motel is able to drive such an expensive car."Rico recalled, "In the motel, we got to know Ms. Stone, a blond woan, who was at a boiling point because of Ira. She railed about a bimbo... whatever that meant... who harrassed Ira the whole night by phone.We drove to Dakota, but her only indication lead us to a guy with pointed teeth, who wanted to meet Ira at 1045 Rosario Drive.Fortunately, we didn´t know that this evening had almost been our last evening on earth!"IN THE NEXT CHAPTER: IN THE GLADES