"If it's not too late, here's how Miami Vice can revive its magic" (TV Guide art.)

CrockettPal

This is one of C&B's articles from the other site. Should we post articles here or in the articles section?, we need to get the scrapbook back to its former glory!:)Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

• Administrators

I'd say this is the place! Most of the neat stuff like this was posted in C&B's section on .org, let's carry on the tradition!

That article says that The Rising Sun of Death is the naidir of season 4. I wouldn't agree with that. It's an excellent episode and one of the best of the mostly lacklustre fourth season. Yes the Yakuza is rare in Miami but you can suspend your disbelief for that. It's an excellent episode and that's all that counts.

I've always felt that this stuff should be here because this is the place where everyone knows to look for this sort of thing. I'm all for grabbing stuff from there and posted here....before it's gone.

Guest neworder

That article does make some fairly good points, although i am with Tommy Vercetti on the fact that The Rising Sun of Death is a good episode. Personally for me the Miami in Miami vice definately disapears in season 3, but somewhat returns a little more in season 4 and then season 5 manages to bring it back for me, except in a few episodes. The article states that the show could've been set in Moscow with all the dark clothes of season 3 - i agree, in fact i remember stating in my heroes of the revolution episode review on .org that the episode seemed more like russian vice than miami vice. The second half of season 3 for me is the part of the series that seems to lack Miami completely. Afternoon plane, Cuba libre, knock knock who's there, viking bikers, everybodys in showbiz and heroes all lack Miami. Afternoon plane is set on an island...fine, Cuba libre is probably best described as an everglades episode, knock knock is a very dark 'interior' based episode for me, viking bikers was dark and could've easily been set in new york especially during that intro and ive already stated how heroes could be passed off as russian vice.So basically my point is, i think the producers lost the Miami after Zito's death, the first half of season 3 has enough miami style to compensate for the darker clothes, whereas the second half really doesn't. Atleast the first half of season 4 brings back pastels and scenes like the boat chase in gods work, the boat chat in death and the lady, some scenes in amen send money and even the big thaw atleast have some Miami in them. Ive stated this before on .org, in my personal opinion 1987 was a disaster year for Miami vice. Only a handful of very good eps, lend me an ear, red tape, contempt, death and the lady, childs play, the big thaw (altho many hate that ep i think its quite good). Im just thankful they fixed things towards the end of season 4 to lead upto a brilliant final season.

There is a bit of Miami in Everybody's In Showbiz and Heroes. Everybody's in showbiz has the Spanish Village in South Beach and a bit more nice Miami Beach scenery. That's a very poor episode though. It's a very visually good looking episode and excellently directed by Richard Compton.And it has a young Benicio Del Toro. But it has a weak storyline, bad acting, crappy Chris de Burgh songs and, low of lows, Switek in an Elvis costume.The only scene I like in Heroes of the Revolution is the shootout on Washington Avenue in South Beach. Very nice scenery there.Red Tape is a great episode for scenery. I think I've been to nearly all the locations from that episode. The Savage, Theresa, Lend Me An Ear, By Hooker By Crook all had some good Miami scenery too.The later stages of S3 had a decline in quality. Red Tape was the last great episode of the season. I don't like Lend Me An Ear. By Hooker and Knock Knock were average with a few good moments. Viking Bikers, Showbiz and Heroes were all very bad.The decline towards the end of S3 continued into S4. The fourth season started very badly with two crap episodes (Contempt of Court, Amen Send Money) but then this was redeemed by the awesome Death & The Lady. Then they followed that with the dire Big Thaw but then redeemed themselves again with the very excellent Child's Play. The quality of the start of S4 was very erratic.I think Vice jumped the shark but then recovered. Many would point to the horrific Missing Hours and Sonny marrying Caitlin as the shark jumpage moments and S4 was certainly bogged down for a long time after them. The only standout episodes during this period were The Rising Sun of Death, Indian Wars and Honor Among Thieves. But then the greatness of Vice was back with a vengeance at the end of season 4 when they killed off Caitlin in Deliver Us From Evil and then did the awesome Mirror Image. This re-invigorated the show and paved the way for the excellent fifth season. That's why I think Vice jumped the shark but then recovered and became a great show again.