Episode 9 - Glades

miamijimf

Matt,Can't tell. Google and Bing maps do not show enough detail of the bridges. My computer is not fast enough to run the new Google Earth but I doubt if that would show good views of the bridges.Jim

Matt' date='Can't tell. Google and Bing maps do not show enough detail of the bridges. My computer is not fast enough to run the new Google Earth but I doubt if that would show good views of the bridges.Jim[/quote']Thankyou Jim - ever helpful as always - that stretch of road has had another two lanes added

Matt- With Google Earth's timeline feature, you might be able to see what it looked like back a few decades ago but I doubt if it would show much detail.

Matt- With Google Earth's timeline feature' date=' you might be able to see what it looked like back a few decades ago but I doubt if it would show much detail.[/quote']Thanks Jim for info - I believe its quite early on that stretch from Weston - I aim to check it out early next year :-)

• 1 year later...

Watched this episode last nite directed by seasoned director Stan Lathan ( only episode directed of MV) - great locations seen in "Bad Timing" and "The Afternoon Plane" 

:D

I wonder if the houses seen on Virginia Key were put up for filming in this episode as the same ones or close to it - seemed to appear in "Viking Bikers from Hell" and Season 5s "Bad Timing" :D

All I can say is that we walked all around Jimbo's before it was torn down and I don't rememer those structures.

• 2 years later...

Very curious if C&T drive from Miami on Alligator Alley was on 41 or 75. I want to travel from Miami to SW Florida in May & want to take the rt they filmed them driving on in the Daytona.

Go to http://www.miamivicelocations.org/page24.html

The Alley has changed a lot, now 4 lane, with rest stops, recreation areas etc.  US 41/Tamiami Trail takes a little longer but is more scenic, better look at the Everglades, Seminole reservations, Big Cyprus preserve etc.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

I agree with Jim.

CGlide has pinpointed the exact spot on Alligator Alley (I-75) where they filmed the driving.  However, the road is completely different today.  Back then, it was one lane in each direction, no median.  Now it is an expressway with two lanes in each direction and a grass median in between.

Tamiami Trail (US 41) will give you more of the "feel" of that "Glades" driving scene.  Two bonuses with Tamiami Trail:   You can see filming locations from "Indian Wars".  Also, you can visit Everglades City, which is what the plot of "Glades" was based on. 

http://www.floridahistorynetwork.com/july-7-1983---operation-everglades-drug-bust-rocks-everglades-city.html

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, airtommy said:

I agree with Jim.

CGlide has pinpointed the exact spot on Alligator Alley (I-75) where they filmed the driving.  However, the road is completely different today.  Back then, it was one lane in each direction, no median.  Now it is an expressway with two lanes in each direction and a grass median in between.

Tamiami Trail (US 41) will give you more of the "feel" of that "Glades" driving scene.  Two bonuses with Tamiami Trail:   You can see filming locations from "Indian Wars".  Also, you can visit Everglades City, which is what the plot of "Glades" was based on. 

http://www.floridahistorynetwork.com/july-7-1983---operation-everglades-drug-bust-rocks-everglades-city.html

I agree - it was just past Weston. I visited and drove here in 2014 but as you mentioned the road is completely different - with two lanes each way and the grass median. I took photos where they were but it’s hard to be 100% due to the changes since 1984 (not too far from the toll gate).Great location though.

Edited by Matt5

8 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Go to http://www.miamivicelocations.org/page24.html

The Alley has changed a lot, now 4 lane, with rest stops, recreation areas etc.  US 41/Tamiami Trail takes a little longer but is more scenic, better look at the Everglades, Seminole reservations, Big Cyprus preserve etc.

I actually looked at the Miami Vice location page (I’m going through Eps there everyday lately) before I posted here. I was just confused if it was 75 or 41 they were on. I’ve been spending a lot of time going through the locations page preparing for my South Beach Carlyle Hotel stay in May.

On 8/9/2008 at 5:46 PM, miamijimf said:

Opening montage Most of this looks like stock footage from the 1960s and 1970s.

after long research, I finally found the source of the first shot:
frame1.png.81bf8396d1677c7c6c645ffd76a4c700.png

the car that is parked on the sidewalk is a 1976-79 Cadillac Deville, the other Caddie parked on the curb is a 1973 Deville. After scrolling through endless pics on IMCDB.org,  I found it! It's footage from the 1981 Sylvester Stallone Movie 'Nighthawks':

nighthawks.jpg.18a0024b787c06d46111f3117da1d6a3.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I took the drive on 75 from the Ft Myers Beach/Naples area over toward  Miami, on my way south to the Keys several years back. It is still a fun drive with much to see if you're not behind the wheel. Think i need to take the 41 route next trip down for a slower and more scenic route. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

2 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

I took the drive on 75 from the Ft Myers Beach/Naples area over toward  Miami, on my way south to the Keys several years back. It is still a fun drive with much to see if you're not behind the wheel. Think i need to take the 41 route next trip down for a slower and more scenic route. 

You did this in your Daytona?

25 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

You did this in your Daytona?

No it was a rental as I was on vaco.

But I am in the process of making some major life changes at the moment and one thing that is on my radar is moving to SoFl if I can find the right slot. 

I have often wondered what it would be like to drive into South Beach in my Daytona, and see if the car would be recognized there today. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, daytona365 said:

after long research, I finally found the source of the first shot

the car that is parked on the sidewalk is a 1976-79 Cadillac Deville, the other Caddie parked on the curb is a 1973 Deville. After scrolling through endless pics on IMCDB.org,  I found it! It's footage from the 1981 Sylvester Stallone Movie 'Nighthawks':

Great find and a very clever idea for how to hunt for footage!!!  Identify the car and then search the IMCDB.  We never thought of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

No it was a rental as I was on vaco.

But I am in the process of making some major life changes at the moment and one thing that is on my radar is moving to SoFl if I can find the right slot. 

I have often wondered what it would be like to drive into South Beach in my Daytona, and see if the car would be recognized there today. 

If I was I’m South Beach & saw the Daytona cruising I’d prob chit myself lol. Sweet dreams are made of these!

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...
On 1/30/2018 at 3:29 PM, daytona365 said:

after long research, I finally found the source of the first shot:
wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp260d49e1.p

nighthawks.jpg.6895acf0914b943c301a989ab22c2a55.jpg

In case anybody wonders, I have determined this to having been filmed in Alphabet City at 391 E 10th Street, New York. They have cleaned up this neighborhood a little bit since and it's pretty much unrecognizable on StreetView, but I'm 100% positive.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, daytona365 said:

In case anybody wonders, I have determined this to having been filmed in Alphabet City at 391 E 10th Street, New York. They have cleaned up this neighborhood a little bit since and it's pretty much unrecognizable on StreetView, but I'm 100% positive.

Oh, we care!  Nice find.  :thumbsup:

In Nighthawks there is a car is parked in an alley/garage on the left side.  That seems to be closed off now.

@C Glide

23 hours ago, airtommy said:

In Nighthawks there is a car is parked in an alley/garage on the left side.  That seems to be closed off now.

@C Glide

It’s a great find!

On 1/29/2019 at 10:16 AM, daytona365 said:

I care! Thankyou a great find and another NYC location to add to the list, Thankyou 

23 hours ago, airtommy said:

@C Glide

Do you think that stock footage was reused from that movie? 

50 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Do you think that stock footage was reused from that movie? 

Clearly. just look at the pics in my post above. The first one is from 'Glades'. Same camera perspective, same parked cars, the bum on the sidewalk...it's all identical. Just that in the movie the shot follows Stallone and his partner across the street, while in the teaser of 'Glades' it's a static shot without the actors and only some traffic moving in the background. Likely some outtakes.

https://dai.ly/x6h4bce 

Edited by daytona365
  • Thanks 2