01/012 milk run

miamijimf

WE HAVE FOUND THE DRUG LAB HOUSE! Check out the calling all detectives thread for the details.

Sw8th St looking towards No.40 former location of the exploding drug lab house ( the only building remaining from 1984 is the end white building at Sw1st Ave and Sw8th ) shot from outskirts of Mary Brickell Bay Village at S Miami Avenue and Sw8th St towards SW1st Avenue.[ATTACH=CONFIG]8211[/ATTACH]:done::D

post-122-13892965753893_thumb.jpg

Very nice shot. It reminds me of the behind the scenes photo that originally helped me locate this filming location. Very nice

Thankyou SoflaJeremy - I really enjoy putting these shots up from my trips glad you all enjoy .:thumbsup::cool::D

• 2 years later...

24fwmee.jpg

Credit Sherry Thorup - Location Manager on Miami Vice

I thought I would post this, in case you hadn't already looked at Sherry's facebook page.

"Crack house we literally blew up and burned on Miami Vice fisrt Season" - Sherry Thorup

She has several pictures of the "crack house" both before and after the explosion.

• Like 1

24fwmee.jpg

Credit Sherry Thorup - Location Manager on Miami Vice

I thought I would post this, in case you hadn't already looked at Sherry's facebook page.

"Crack house we literally blew up and burned on Miami Vice fisrt Season" - Sherry Thorup

She has several pictures of the "crack house" both before and after the explosion.

Great article !

• 1 month later...

I looked at the drug lab location on SW 8th Street and a few things bothered me:

1. In real life it is a one-way street going westbound, but in the Milk Run scene the parked cars are facing eastbound and there is a moving car also going eastbound.
2. I squinted at the 1980 satellite photo for a while but I didn't actually see a house there.
3. There is the issue of the missing walk signal which was discussed in the "Calling All Detectives" thread.

So, I scanned around the area and found the drug lab. An approximate address would be 31 SE 7th Street.  The crosswalk signal is at SE 7th St & S Miami Ave.

1980 satellite pic (before Milk Run was filmed):

Milk1980.png

pink circle = drug lab

green circle = tree that reaches all the way across the street (very unusual)

milk3.png

milk4.png

1986 satellite pic (after Milk Run was filmed, house is gone):

Milk1986.png

milk1.png

milk2.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

Yup, Spit  had that wrong. Now that you point it out the intersection in the background is the same one that we saw in Bad Timing so we know it had the big matching awnings that we see here which further confirms. We get a look at the apartment building from a different view in that ep. I will have to update my site soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Here's a rare photo of the Senator's pool.  A tragedy that this classic building was torn down to make room for a parking lot.  But the Senator's death shocked the public and led to increasing pressure for preservation of the Beach's unique architecture.  The latest news is that the parking lot is supposed to be replaced by a building that is reminiscent of the Senator.

Pool of Senator Hotel  Feb 1984.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Here's a rare photo of the Senator's pool.  A tragedy that this classic building was torn down to make room for a parking lot.  But the Senator's death shocked the public and led to increasing pressure for preservation of the Beach's unique architecture.  The latest news is that the parking lot is supposed to be replaced by a building that is reminiscent of the Senator.

Pool of Senator Hotel  Feb 1984.jpg

Very rare Jim indeed - a great photo .

The Senator should never have gone :D

• 1 year later...

Cartagena in Columbia had an establishing shot in this episode. Interestingly Cartagena was north of Bogota which was also featured in Miami Vice and Cartagena was also just a little south of Baranquilla on the coast which was featured in the 2006 Michael Mann MV movie.

Here is Cartagena. :hippie:

291CDBEA-4F64-4A9F-B457-1CECFC9A88E3.jpeg

C29113DE-A905-4E6E-99D2-268F5BFC90E3.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

At 18.51 there is a short drive scene for around 15 seconds before the next scene where we see C&T at the Coconut Grove Post Office. The exact location hasn’t been identified on Jeremy’s website but is mentioned as westbound on the MacArthur Cswy. Filmed in a way where the filming car is on the opposite side of the road through greenery, similar to the same way John Nicollela directed the teaser shot in “Florence Italy” of the Ferrari. You can see lots of buildings and some sort of tower also at the end of the scene. 

181A7F7D-6240-4A1E-A7F7-C3F9AFAFC68D.jpeg

D010EC9F-459B-46B1-B5EE-B86772951E60.jpeg

FDE152EB-6C8D-4064-9A47-2EF88A810103.jpeg

E080DBF6-7E6E-4222-84E4-A13012DA35E6.jpeg

0D3134EE-FC56-4E5A-974A-DDDC4B1F067B.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

At 18.51 there is a short drive scene for around 15 seconds before the next scene where we see C&T at the Coconut Grove Post Office. The exact location hasn’t been identified on Jeremy’s website but is mentioned as westbound on the MacArthur Cswy. Filmed in a way where the filming car is on the opposite side of the road through greenery, similar to the same way John Nicollela directed the teaser shot in “Florence Italy” of the Ferrari. You can see lots of buildings and some sort of tower also at the end of the scene. 

181A7F7D-6240-4A1E-A7F7-C3F9AFAFC68D.jpeg

D010EC9F-459B-46B1-B5EE-B86772951E60.jpeg

FDE152EB-6C8D-4064-9A47-2EF88A810103.jpeg

E080DBF6-7E6E-4222-84E4-A13012DA35E6.jpeg

0D3134EE-FC56-4E5A-974A-DDDC4B1F067B.jpeg

Sorry to answer my own questions but this matches up below - I was just trying to pinpoint the exact location  on the MacArthur Cswy - the windows on the Port building match up as seen in my pictures 4 and 5 above.

17724A70-CE5A-49DF-918F-3DD80DC2679C.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Sorry to answer my own questions but this matches up below - I was just trying to pinpoint the exact location  on the MacArthur Cswy - the windows on the Port building match up as seen in my pictures 4 and 5 above.

I think you're right. At the very beginning of the scene we see this:

milk1.png.1af7466f2d4b5e372fa565da7c4af299.png

That building has been changed but I spotted it in the 1986 sat pic:

milk3.png.5eca2bec29f7753de8131a70532eef49.png

It's almost directly across from the bridge to Palm Island:

milk2.png.d0661e8166c66fee599d66735e9e651c.png

By the way, I noticed some water in between the car and the camera, so they actually filmed this from a boat!

• Like 1

Interesting - I really wanted to pinpoint the exact location of this drive scene so thankyou for your comments @airtommy. The building you mentioned is still there and has been modified since 1984. The windows and building I mentioned towards the end of the scene is pretty much unchanged. Amazing about being filmed from the water! 

Edited by Matt5

6 hours ago, Matt5 said:

@airtommyAmazing about being filmed from the water! 

Yeah, filming from the water is pretty cool, and expensive!  I noticed that the dialogue sounds weird.  This was clearly some stock footage they filmed at some point and then they dubbed in the dialogue when they decided to use it for this ep.

2 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Yeah, filming from the water is pretty cool, and expensive!  I noticed that the dialogue sounds weird.  This was clearly some stock footage they filmed at some point and then they dubbed in the dialogue when they decided to use it for this ep.

It’s a really neat scene, so short so pleased we pinpointed the exact location. The scene is reminiscent of a teaser scene in “Florence Italy” when C&T are driving in the Ferrari on Biscayne - ‘I like to think of the Miami Grand Prix as a little like Christmas Tubbs!”. That was also filmed across at a distance and also directed by John Nicollela.