Vltor's Bren Ten Update

timm525

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275871830as you can see the dimensions do seem a little different from the normal 4506, like it actually looks a touch thinner than the normal 3rd gens which would be because its using the frame and slide of the 645 as its basis where as it seems like they made the frame thicker and used a different looking slide on the normal 3rd gens.its seen some wear though, thats for sure.

The transitionals are rare. Fewer than 200 were made of those. They were 645 marked 4506. We don't know however, if SC's one was marked a 4506 or 645 trans. as they are identical.I wished though, they would have given him a 1006 for season 5. It's my all-time favorite.

The transitionals are rare. Fewer than 200 were made of those. They were 645 marked 4506. We don't know however' date=' if SC's one was marked a 4506 or 645 trans. as they are identical.I wished though, they would have given him a 1006 for season 5. It's my all-time favorite.[/quote']well according to bruce of the bren ten forums it is as he said he had actually seen the blank firing pistols in person and it did say 645 on it. along with seeing the bren ten in personproblem with the 1006 is that it plainly didnt exist at that point, the 1006 came out in 1990 along with the dash -1 revision of the 4506and honestly I think any cartridge that goes over 850 fps is not a good choice for self defense or police use on one basic principal. as 1100 is the speed of sound there is a noticibile extra crack that goes along with any cartridge that goes over that velocity:
so you'd be doing more damage to your hearing by going with a 10mm for protection anyways and I kind of liked how he did switch back to a .45 for S3 because of that.

so you'd be doing more damage to your hearing by going with a 10mm for protection anyways and I kind of liked how he did switch back to a .45 for S3 because of that.
I didn't know that about the 645 movie gun. I do carry a 1066 in a Galco holster loaded with Federal 180 gr HydraShok (985 fps). Certainly on the range I only shoot the 745 IPSC or 64 PPC. If I could have it my way, I'd carry a compact Smith auto in .38 Super/9mm Magnum. Mind you, European manufacturers, like Beretta and Browning, stopped manufacturing guns in .40, as it's only used in the US. The ROW still uses mainly the 9mm and with the proper round (I use 115gr +P), it too is lethal enough.

• 5 weeks later...
I didn't know that about the 645 movie gun. I do carry a 1066 in a Galco holster loaded with Federal 180 gr HydraShok (985 fps). Certainly on the range I only shoot the 745 IPSC or 64 PPC. If I could have it my way' date=' I'd carry a compact Smith auto in .38 Super/9mm Magnum. Mind you, European manufacturers, like Beretta and Browning, stopped manufacturing guns in .40, as it's only used in the US. The ROW still uses mainly the 9mm and with the proper round (I use 115gr +P), it too is lethal enough.[/quote']eh I dont know its one of those things were yes the old adage no one likes to get shot is very true but also theres a reason why for the past 100 years there have been two standards in the firearms worldThe 30-06 rifle and the .45 acp with 230 grain ball ammo and while I understand why people like the 10mm, .357 magnum and the 41 I just dont want to go with that as well in the old days a bigger bullet at low velocity was the proven way to go and those who didnt go that way usually ended up six feet underI mean seriously read through the Old Elmer Keith book Sixguns sometimes, after reading that I'm tempted to stick to .40 smith and wesson and up from now on and never anything under that as well I dont want to fiddle around with conditional cartridges if you catch my driftyou know you shouldnt have to rely on expanding bullets or higher velocity rounds to get the job done, your just asking for trouble with that kind of thing, 147 grains and no lower is the way I've started looking at it.plus they do make double stack .45's nowadays which was the only real benefit for going with 9mm over .45 acp back in the 80's as well I think 10 is a good round number and hey that's what crockett had with the bren ten10 in the mag, just like the CZ 97 in .45 acp

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2baoMyO5r8

its a dog of a gun in the looks department but the guns probably solid although the 645 is only two off in that department when it comes to capacity

I had the CZ97 and really tried to like it. In the end the trigger reach in DA was to long, the steep feedramp made rounds other than 230gr. Hardball to iffy for 100% reliability and the pistol itself was to big. One day I ran across an Older EAA Witness with the older square type slide in Wonderfinish at a good price. It had be someone's safe queen as it looked mint. I got it and was so happy I sold my CZ97 at a profit. The trigger reach is shorter and the newer magazines work 100%. I do wish the Bren Ten would be made again, but I've lost hope as only older guys like me would be interested. Just about all newer models seem to be some polymer striker fired 9MM or .40. Time and progress just keeps on.

Some good pistol reading material here. I'm still holding on, and keeping a small glimpse of hope, to someday find a lightly used, or "safe queen" Bren Ten for my collection .... :radar:

I had the CZ97 and really tried to like it. In the end the trigger reach in DA was to long' date=' the steep feedramp made rounds other than 230gr. Hardball to iffy for 100% reliability and the pistol itself was to big. One day I ran across an Older EAA Witness with the older square type slide in Wonderfinish at a good price. It had be someone's safe queen as it looked mint. I got it and was so happy I sold my CZ97 at a profit. The trigger reach is shorter and the newer magazines work 100%. I do wish the Bren Ten would be made again, but I've lost hope as only older guys like me would be interested. Just about all newer models seem to be some polymer striker fired 9MM or .40. Time and progress just keeps on.[/quote']well for every movement there is a counter movement, this kind of thing happens in stages. its just a damn shame ruger and smith and wesson wont even give the old ways of making guns a shot anymore with the old way of bluing either.if its got a lock on it no sale is the way I look at itguess my best bet would probably be the CZ in .40 then if I want to go with a cocked and locked one with a double stack mag like the Bren, problem is the only one I found was in 9mm and was a latter one.kind of funny though I thought the EAA witness and the CZ 97 would more or less be the same dimension wise though, didnt figure there was a difference.and well from what I understand the new trials for the replacement for the M9 have specified that it must have the ability to be cocked and locked hence the Browning .45 and that H and K but sadly no steel guns thus far have been made for those trials.so I guess like cars making guns that look good and are made out of steel are done for now, hell the sigs arent even full steel either, probably the reason why those survived and the all steel guns have died out or cost a fortune in the case of custom M1911's.pitty no ones started a market for custom CZ 75 style pistols though.

Bren TenMy Ed Brown will have to do for now, and is probably as closest thing I'll get to the now extinct Bren Ten ..... but I'm always looking. :thumbsup: The Brown of course, unlike the Bren, is 100% reliable.[ATTACH=CONFIG]5897[/ATTACH]

post-11039-13892964408577_thumb.jpg

5897[/ATTACH]

well the thing is the bren when its built right is a 100% reliabile as two of the members of the bren ten forums can contest, problem is finding the ones that came out of the factory built that way.after all when it comes to anything regardless of how good the design is if its built wrong its frankly going to be **** while the one built correctly will last forever, the american 1980's and 1960's - 1979 german PPK's and PPK/S are perfect example of that although even on the german ones the two part feeding ramp sometimes needs a little work to work correctlyas the feeding ramp is separate from the barrel and thus sometimes needs a little work to line up correctly and on modern designs the feeding ramp is part of the barrel casting like on the glock, hence why the austrians asked for that when asking for the requirements for there new pistol that was to replace the walther P38 from mr glock.hence why I know kind of have a begrudging respect for the glock, as something derived off of my pistol cant be all bad although I am definitely NOT a sig person and have come to the conclusion that I would and will never own one in my life and have passed over some of the original ones like he had in the pilot and the burnet saga.their like the M4 and the AK 47 style guns for me, I just have no interest in them, although the 245 would probably be an ideal replacment for the detonics .45 if Vice was ever to be reserected

I tend to wonder if they will ever come out with the replacement Bren Ten. If so, do we really want to trust them for customer service and repairs/upgrades, after their lies about getting the replacement Bren Ten out there for us. Another consideration is finding a gunsmith who is comfortable working on a Bren Ten.The cost of the Vintage Bren Ten, is just crazy. The cheapest I saw one is for $2,400.00, and not in very good condition. I would rather stick with my Colt Double Eagle, in 10mm, and adjustable sights. Apparently, my understanding is Colt made only 2000 of the Colt Double Eagle in 10mm, and only 200 with adjustable sights. I paid $800 for my Colt Double Eagle, with adjustable sights, as rare as it was. It really did not take off because the 1911 enthusiasts felt that the Colt Double Eagle was a knockoff of the 1911 by going double action. When they fixed some of the gliches with the Double Eagle, the reviews are pretty solid.I am more than happy with my S&W 1006, Colt Double Eagle, and Glock 20. For the cost of all three, I probably paid for one Bren Ten.If I owned a Bren Ten, it would be a closet queen, because who would want to ruin the value of it or try to find parts for it.I bet that Guns Parts Inc would be one of the few places on earth to find parts for the Bren Ten.Still would be nice to own one, if the cost was reasonable and it was in good condition.

I tend to wonder if they will ever come out with the replacement Bren Ten. If so' date=' do we really want to trust them for customer service and repairs/upgrades, after their lies about getting the replacement Bren Ten out there for us. Another consideration is finding a gunsmith who is comfortable working on a Bren Ten.The cost of the Vintage Bren Ten, is just crazy. The cheapest I saw one is for $2,400.00, and not in very good condition. I would rather stick with my Colt Double Eagle, in 10mm, and adjustable sights. Apparently, my understanding is Colt made only 2000 of the Colt Double Eagle in 10mm, and only 200 with adjustable sights. I paid $800 for my Colt Double Eagle, with adjustable sights, as rare as it was. It really did not take off because the 1911 enthusiasts felt that the Colt Double Eagle was a knockoff of the 1911 by going double action. When they fixed some of the gliches with the Double Eagle, the reviews are pretty solid.I am more than happy with my S&W 1006, Colt Double Eagle, and Glock 20. For the cost of all three, I probably paid for one Bren Ten.If I owned a Bren Ten, it would be a closet queen, because who would want to ruin the value of it or try to find parts for it.I bet that Guns Parts Inc would be one of the few places on earth to find parts for the Bren Ten.Still would be nice to own one, if the cost was reasonable and it was in good condition.[/quote']yeah that's pretty much the same conclusion I came to and just for the hell of it I did buy that resin model of the airsoft gun that poped up on ebay just like cooper didseriously though I think the closest anyone could reasonabily get to the bren ten with the least amount of fuss, money and problems is probably the CZ 75 in .40 smith and wesson as from what I understand the EAA's are spotty and well to me they just dont have the same look as the brenplus the .40's have a full slide like the bren, the 9mm's have it cut backwhile with the 75 it could be done, rig up some target rear sights like on the 85 combat, hard chrome it and chrome the frameEingefügtes Bildbasically put the 85's sights on http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5899&stc=1&d=1335757485it to give the back a hump so to speak, the most distinctive thing about the bren next to its teethEingefügtes Bildand then round the trigger guard and then finish it like it although I'd probably maybe use a heavier spring and steel guide rod to see if I could lessen the recoil and make it abit more sturdy just as a precaution.problem is finding one and I kind of think this would be the ideal way to copy the bren, leave the 645 alone and enjoy it for what it is (although I would probably still want to change the front sight as I really prefer the look of a black insert with a black rear sight) and try and turn the 75 into a lookalike with the far more common but powerful .40 smith and wesson rather than mess around with 10mm or the other brens in .45 acp.hell even after this your probably looking at about 1300 with the 645 AND a 75 rigged up like that, two guns that will last a life time for the price of one thats hit and miss but still a hell of a piece of firearms history.

post-592-13892964408969_thumb.jpg

I don't know why, but last night, I dreamt that I had a bren ten pistol. I remember how happy I was to hold the thing. It was beautiful. Not sure how that got into my dream, as I haven't thought of the gun reciently. In my dream, after a time, the gun started to not look like the gun at all, but some sort of warped version of it. I was not happy at it's look, but still was happy to own a bren ten. All I have is the resin version which I have still not painted. I'd be thrilled to track down the soft air pistol, and would pay a pretty penny for one.

Sounds like a good idea about modifying the CZ 75. I am sure you could find a gunsmith that could do that for you.You could get LPA sights that are adjustable, like the second picture. I actually put those on my S&W 4506.The CZ 75 are actually available on the web, Gunsamerica and Gunbroker, in .40 cal. The .40 cal has the advantage of having close to the stopping power of the .45 cal while having the capacity.There is the CZ75B in .45 but have not seen them on sale. The magazine does hold ten round +1.Anyway, I would rather change myself, the CZ75 to look like the Bren Ten, vs paying a huge amount of money for a Bren Ten. You could at least have fun on the gun range with the CZ75 while the Bren Ten would be better off as a safe queen.Anyway, there are still S&W 4506 at the gunshows and gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com.Best of luck. John

I don't know why' date=' but last night, I dreamt that I had a bren ten pistol. I remember how happy I was to hold the thing. It was beautiful. Not sure how that got into my dream, as I haven't thought of the gun reciently. In my dream, after a time, the gun started to not look like the gun at all, but some sort of warped version of it. I was not happy at it's look, but still was happy to own a bren ten. All I have is the resin version which I have still not painted. I'd be thrilled to track down the soft air pistol, and would pay a pretty penny for one.[/quote']To find the airsoft version, is just as hard to find as the true macoy. Best of luck.

To find the airsoft version' date=' is just as hard to find as the true macoy. Best of luck.[/quote']I know......I know. Hopefully, someone will approach ME on this site to sell it.

I actually found that somebody in Fort Worth, TX, reposted the Bren Ten, previously on Gunbroker.com, for the same price, $2100.00. That Bren Ten is really scratched up.This is a much better alternative:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283867159, and NIB for $950.00.I know it is not 10mm but .45 cal is nice as well.

Look what else I found here:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283287335A very nice S&W 1006.Something to consider here: The vintage S&W and Colt firearms are only going up in value as they are getting harder to find.Don't let the dream of owning a Bren Ten block you from picking up a nice S&W 4506, 1006 or even a 4586. The 4586 is a great gun for the cost. A great way to keep a part of american heritage is to pick up one of these badboys before they totally dry up.

I had the CZ 75b in stainless a few years back. A very accurate, precision made and reliable pistol. With any of the CZ line, you get an excellent all steel pistol for the price, which is hard to beat with today's ever rising manufacturing prices. Again, an wonderful handgun , but still not a Bren ... [ATTACH=CONFIG]5900[/ATTACH]

post-11039-13892964409813_thumb.jpg

I don't know why' date=' but last night, I dreamt that I had a bren ten pistol. I remember how happy I was to hold the thing. It was beautiful. Not sure how that got into my dream, as I haven't thought of the gun reciently. In my dream, after a time, the gun started to not look like the gun at all, but some sort of warped version of it. I was not happy at it's look, but still was happy to own a bren ten. All I have is the resin version which I have still not painted. I'd be thrilled to track down the soft air pistol, and would pay a pretty penny for one.[/quote']you and alot of other people are looking for that airsoft gun, I get the feeling it wasnt an offical copy and sort of along the lines of the rowlex replicas hence its annoying rarity and it sounds like you had a dream about owning an EAA witness from the sound of itfigures though I come across a late model CZ 75 and it was the 9mm version, a rare gun indeed in MA but not the right version and I'm done with 9mm, its either .40 or .45, nothing less for the Crockett handcannon replica.plus .40 smith and wesson is basically the 10mm toned down to be well less a magnum and more a middle ground between the .45 and the 9mm something that the semi auto world had been lacking but the revolver world had lost when the popularity of the 38-40 and 44-40 died out past the middle of the 19th century and they were very proven cartridges and very well liked too its just that because of the world wars and nam they got lost in the shuffle and forgotten.and personally I think if the arm retools again the army should have .40's and that .25 rilfe cartridge they were talking about, the .25 grendal I think and the marines the 308 and .45problem is in my neck of the woods CZ wouldnt play ball with the atorney general and his stupid drop tests like a lot of other manufactures so I dont think they can be brought in but apparently that regulations enforcement has been getting lax and they might eventually overturn it but till then I have to go for one thats second hand that's hopefully a .40and after thinking it over its gotta be a 645 if I go the smith route as all stainless steel guns are getting far harder to find and the 645 was the ONLY version made in .45 acp that looked like the old mans 39 with a two piece grip and on the guns that I have that have the 4506's all around grip either dont fit properly (the walther P38) or have broken on me during shooting (the interarms PPK) although I doubt the 4506's grip would be like that as its rubber not hard plastic or balkalite like the P38's gripmind you its kind of funny the grips on the P38 are actually worth more than what I paid for the gun now.plus unlike the 4506/645 transitional and the bren Crockett was kind enough to leave the 645 stock.thing is though with the CZ 97 like Garry said he tried to love it like the bren but couldnt and as he said the dimensions are different and honestly it looks too brick like for my tastes (one of the key reasons why I wont own a sig, the slide is just too brick like and lacks elegance, although apparently only the first version of the 220 doesnt have that issue as the slides thiner) so I kind of think the .40 would be ideal as if theres one gun thats going to match the dimensions of the bren in 10mm it would be that thing

The Bren Ten airsoft pistol was made my a well known maker of airguns. I think it was a legit model.It exists. I will find one.I have a knack for locating rare items.After that dream, and the joy I felt holding it, now I have to have one.