Vltor's Bren Ten Update

timm525

• 8 months later...
On March 5, 2010 at 5:04 AM, Gary1911A1 said:

Thanks for the comments all. I do remember at first they couldn't find Galco as they had moved and changed their name from Jackass and so picked Ted Blocker for the holster maker. Reportedly DJ didn't like how the rig fitted him and the prop man found Galco who use to be Jackass and the President of Galco itself made the trip to Miami to fit DJ for their shoulder holster which later went from the name of Jackass Shoulder Holster to Miami Classic. I do hope Galco will make the original Miami Classic or Jackass again. Their Custom Shop according to others wants at least 500 orders to make it again and with only 1200 Bren Tens being made this year, some people ordering more than one, and some not even wanting a shoulder holster there may not be an order for 500. I have one of the few Miami Classic for a Bren Ten. They just didn't make that many with all the trouble the original company had in making the Bren Ten and providing magazines.Eingefügtes Bild

Hey Gary.  In your '80s Galco Bren Ten kit, was the holster stamped 114 like it says on the package, and what was the number on the mag case for the Bren Ten mags?  I have a single Bren Ten mag in my collection, along with many S&W 645 mags, and the Bren Ten mag is slightly thicker than the 645.  Your mag case is likely the same one used in the OCB scenes in "Bought and Paid For" in season 2.  That's likely the day that the first Galco holster showed up on set, as it had the normal mag case along with the thick strap harness.  If you watch closely in every scene, you can see that the holes that the church screws are in are constantly changing between different shots.  They were likely playing around to find the most comfortable setting for Don Johnson during shooting on the OCB office set.  The next episode, he had gone back to the Ted Blocker Lifeline mag case, and changed over to the thin strap harness.

Also I was wondering what parts you were using in your Galco kit for your S&W 4506?  Is the mag case the A1405?  It looks like the holster is the 250/260 that was used with the S&W 645-early in the first three episode filmed for third season ("El Viejo", "When Irish Eyes are Crying", and "Devil in the Dark"), as opposed to the the 192/262 holster that was used the rest of the series for the S&W 645-early (3rd & 4th) and 645-INT (5th season).  I was able to get both a Galco 260 and 262 along with two thin strap harnesses and two sets of the proper square backed church screws.  So I have an early 3rd season rig with the 260 holster, and a second 3rd to 5th season rig with the 262 holster and A1412 cuffs case.  The 260 rig did not have a cuffs case on it except for a couple of scenes in "Devil in the Dark", so it is correct with or without the A1412 cuffs case.  Since I haven't located a second one, I'm going without it.  I have someone working on creating a leather pattern using an A1405 mag case and an old Jackass mag case, in order to create the custom case that they used for the final three seasons.  In the meantime, I modified a couple of later A1410 cases to resemble the custom mag case as best they can.

Edited by Lifeguard

Here is my early 3rd season harness setup, with an optional A1412 cuffs case out as optional.  Again 260 holster, thin strap harness, square church screws, and A1410 mag case modified to be similar to the custom case from the show.  Of course S&W 645 with original metal bottom and follower 645 mags.

IMG_7439_zpsuomqbunt.jpg

IMG_7438_zpsixcwke64.jpg

IMG_7436_zpsbwik4alt.jpg

• Like 1

BTW, I was watching the fourth episode filmed for season 3 "Baby Blues" again (shooting order:  "El Viejo", "When Irish Eyes are Crying", "Devil in the Dark", "Baby Blues", "Stone's War) to see if I missed any shots of the shoulder holster.  It can be seen in OCB with the A1412 cuffs case on it, but you can't see the holster in order to verify if it is the 250/260 or the first use of the 192/262.  In "Stone's War" filmed next, he definitely has the 192/262.  Also interesting to note that the Testarossa appears in white in this episode.  Given that its only appearance in "Devil in the Dark" is a dream sequence that may have been filmed later, I think the "Baby Blues" scenes are its first appearance in the new paint.  Also because of this, "Baby Blues definitely needs to come after "Stone's War", but you could put "Devil in the Dark" before "Stone's War" since the Testarossa scene is a dream sequence and it could be argued that he was just dreaming that he was driving it.  A premonition dream perhaps?

• 4 weeks later...

Dont know really, I'm a little crosseyed about it really lol like who what where now lol

also in regards to the bren ten I've had opportunities to shoot not only the CZ 75 but the .45 ACP version of it recently and the CZ 97, and while the 97 is ugly, the thing shoots magnificently well, same thing with the 9mm version, color me impressed really.

just goes to show that if they would come out with the thing, if in nothing else but .45 ACP it would probably do and sell pretty well as long as it holds together and matches the original profile of those two.

also interestingly enough, it looks like the vltor bren ten page has been deleted from wikipedia when you look up the CZ 75 lol like jesus even wikipedia has written it off at this point!

• 1 month later...
On March 4, 2010 at 5:04 AM, Gary1911A1 said:

"Here's the same holster modeled by me and I'm no DJ or Sonny."

Hey Gary, I've finished my move now.  Have you settled in enough to look at your Galco Bren Ten rig numbers on the leather?

No, still living in between in an apartment with most of my stuff in storage. I tell you I don't know how Sonny did it with so little room on his boats.:)

• 2 weeks later...
On May 24, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Gary1911A1 said:

No, still living in between in an apartment with most of my stuff in storage. I tell you I don't know how Sonny did it with so little room on his boats.:)

i hear ya.  A good portion of my belongings are in a storage unit.  Couldn't fit it all in the next house and will be moving again at the end of the year.  Snow birding down to Florida for the winters.  

• Like 1

On May 31, 2016 at 9:15 PM, Kavinsky said:

maybe he did an MCQ and kept most of his stuff in the back of the daytona lol

Nice Firebird.  i have a '78 Camaro.  Damn little space in that trunk.  i notice her removed the spare tire to fit more in there.

On 6/12/2016 at 2:43 AM, Lifeguard said:

Nice Firebird.  i have a '78 Camaro.  Damn little space in that trunk.  i notice her removed the spare tire to fit more in there.

ah, and actually that thing has kind of a following of its own, as Year one, the people who made the bandit reimaging also made one for that one.

and they make a modern camaro that I swear was in the same color as that, except its called emerald green now.

On June 15, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Kavinsky said:

ah, and actually that thing has kind of a following of its own, as Year one, the people who made the bandit reimaging also made one for that one.

and they make a modern camaro that I swear was in the same color as that, except its called emerald green now.

I had my eye on a new Camaro back in 2010, but $30k for a car just seemed excessive.  So I ended up finding my '78 for $2100 and probably have no more than $5k total in it.  It's '70s red tho, very un-Miami Vice color tho.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:53 PM, Lifeguard said:

I had my eye on a new Camaro back in 2010, but $30k for a car just seemed excessive.  So I ended up finding my '78 for $2100 and probably have no more than $5k total in it.  It's '70s red tho, very un-Miami Vice color tho.

Yeah the other thing was I went into the dealership and found there was no rear visibility in it either. as at that point, god is literally your co pilot at those speeds and lack of visibility lol

and I had the same thing happen with the impala back then, I went in, found it was 30 grand NEW and had a cheap chav like interior, and it was 15 grand for a white used Malibu with a couple K On it, so I just went over to VW and bought a car for 10 G less with the winter package, heated seats, windshield wipers and mirrors, all brand new, the best god damn accidental package pickup ever in the north east lol

hell there was this one time when I was out of power for a week after a major storm up here, and I used that car and the seats to keep me warm for part of it lol

also red I should mention, which is part of the reason why I got angry at GTA 5 in the first five minutes of switching to franklin if I remember correctly, courtesy of Lamar, although I got him back in it, as lets just say he had a few extra hospital visits for that snide comment of his lol

also now that I think of it, maybe some of this could help with the 78?

as he took out the 305, and put in a 350 and fixed a bunch of electrical gremlins in the car.

and theirs of course this super version

also originally for starsky and hutch the idea was actually to go for one of these, some sort of high school connection apparently to one of the producers or starsky himself I think

Edited by Kavinsky

On June 24, 2016 at 3:42 PM, Kavinsky said:

Yeah the other thing was I went into the dealership and found there was no rear visibility in it either. as at that point, god is literally your co pilot at those speeds and lack of visibility lol

and I had the same thing happen with the impala back then, I went in, found it was 30 grand NEW and had a cheap chav like interior, and it was 15 grand for a white used Malibu with a couple K On it, so I just went over to VW and bought a car for 10 G less with the winter package, heated seats, windshield wipers and mirrors, all brand new, the best god damn accidental package pickup ever in the north east lol

hell there was this one time when I was out of power for a week after a major storm up here, and I used that car and the seats to keep me warm for part of it lol

also red I should mention, which is part of the reason why I got angry at GTA 5 in the first five minutes of switching to franklin if I remember correctly, courtesy of Lamar, although I got him back in it, as lets just say he had a few extra hospital visits for that snide comment of his lol

also now that I think of it, maybe some of this could help with the 78?

as he took out the 305, and put in a 350 and fixed a bunch of electrical gremlins in the car.

and theirs of course this super version

also originally for starsky and hutch the idea was actually to go for one of these, some sort of high school connection apparently to one of the producers or starsky himself I think

Yeah, in '75 they modified the rear window the the wraparound glass to reduce the right rear blindspot.  Still pretty significant.  

Mine has the inline six, so there is no part that swaps over to the V8 except for the lower engine mounts.  Which makes the 350 V8 swap much more pricey than just rebuilding the top end of the six and swapping the cam.  I can also get away with a cheaper 4spd swap, not needing an HD one.

I did not know about the Camaro for Starsky, I know the actor did not like the "big red tomato" as he called it.  

On 6/28/2016 at 6:34 PM, Lifeguard said:

Yeah, in '75 they modified the rear window the the wraparound glass to reduce the right rear blindspot.  Still pretty significant.  

Mine has the inline six, so there is no part that swaps over to the V8 except for the lower engine mounts.  Which makes the 350 V8 swap much more pricey than just rebuilding the top end of the six and swapping the cam.  I can also get away with a cheaper 4spd swap, not needing an HD one.

I did not know about the Camaro for Starsky, I know the actor did not like the "big red tomato" as he called it.  

ah, well actually alot of the inlines apparently handled better than the V8's actually. as it was one of the things that leno has mentioned on more than a few occasions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9w2e8SzuMc

at the 20:20 minute mark of the first one

so I wouldnt be ashamed of it really, as the weight is back and forth vs one giant hunk of metal in the front and one of the things they apparently did in one of the fast and furious movies was actually take a inline 6 out of a skyline and put it into a mustang, so maybe some sort of weird swap like that could work if you ever want more power from it

or maybe even some of the performance parts if the engine designs are similar enough. probably even from the same make, as I remember reading in the corvette book from tom falconer that apparently the fuel injection system of a 1980's car, the corvette can fit on one of the early 283 1950's ones, and be bolted right on, and produce more power, more torque and be better for the environment all in one go.

which sounds utterly impossible but he is actually a corvette parts dealer and I found his shop on ebay which lines up with what he said about himself so I think something like that might actually be true.

so maybe at some point in chevy's history they made a performance oriented version of that motor and those parts could possibly bolt right on be it in the history of the car or after when it was made.

or atleast some alumiumn parts as apparently some of the cast iron parts can weigh up to like 300 pounds and given that I can feel the difference in my cars handling just based on how much gas is in the tank, a change like that would be huge in the performance.

even if it doesnt add any performance to the car, and with the starksy thing I forget where I heard that, but I think it was in some behind the scenes kind of interviews they did with him once about the car, like it was either him or the producer that wanted the camaro.

of which given the look of the yenko camaros would make far more sense with that stripe along the side

and its funny to think about really, that this yenko and baldwin motion thing all came about just because of some stupid GM mandate that said nothing above a 400 CI motor will be put in our cars, hence why it was always a 396 on them until like 1970/71 apparently

which prompted people like Yenko to go oh yeah and get them through the cop option rules they had anyways lol resulting in the 427 Yenko Nova, a car in which even the salesmen went you know your going to kill yourself with that F'ing thing right lol

Edited by Kavinsky

18 hours ago, Kavinsky said:

ah, well actually alot of the inlines apparently handled better than the V8's actually. as it was one of the things that leno has mentioned on more than a few occasions.

at the 20:20 minute mark of the first one

so I wouldnt be ashamed of it really, as the weight is back and forth vs one giant hunk of metal in the front and one of the things they apparently did in one of the fast and furious movies was actually take a inline 6 out of a skyline and put it into a mustang, so maybe some sort of weird swap like that could work if you ever want more power from it

or maybe even some of the performance parts if the engine designs are similar enough. probably even from the same make, as I remember reading in the corvette book from tom falconer that apparently the fuel injection system of a 1980's car, the corvette can fit on one of the early 283 1950's ones, and be bolted right on, and produce more power, more torque and be better for the environment all in one go.

which sounds utterly impossible but he is actually a corvette parts dealer and I found his shop on ebay which lines up with what he said about himself so I think something like that might actually be true.

so maybe at some point in chevy's history they made a performance oriented version of that motor and those parts could possibly bolt right on be it in the history of the car or after when it was made.

or atleast some alumiumn parts as apparently some of the cast iron parts can weigh up to like 300 pounds and given that I can feel the difference in my cars handling just based on how much gas is in the tank, a change like that would be huge in the performance.

even if it doesnt add any performance to the car, and with the starksy thing I forget where I heard that, but I think it was in some behind the scenes kind of interviews they did with him once about the car, like it was either him or the producer that wanted the camaro.

of which given the look of the yenko camaros would make far more sense with that stripe along the side

and its funny to think about really, that this yenko and baldwin motion thing all came about just because of some stupid GM mandate that said nothing above a 400 CI motor will be put in our cars, hence why it was always a 396 on them until like 1970/71 apparently

which prompted people like Yenko to go oh yeah and get them through the cop option rules they had anyways lol resulting in the 427 Yenko Nova, a car in which even the salesmen went you know your going to kill yourself with that F'ing thing right lol

Yeah, I think the inline six is 100 to 150 lbs lighter than the V8 in front.  Big long nose tho to fit all those cylinders in a row behind the radiator.  

The TPI units in the Camaros and Corvettes during the late '80s were designed for the 305 motors with long plenums to maximize the torque, so I'm not surprised they work on the smaller 283.  Believe it or not that old 283 small block Chevy is the same as the later small blocks.  In fact with the TPI swap, you probably want to also swap for updated 305 HO heads for better flow and small 58cc combustion chambers.

The 396cid big blocks starting in 1969 were actually 402cid from the factory, but they continued to badge and advertise them as 396 so as to stay under the corporate 400cid limit on passenger cars and not confuse it with the new 400cid small block in the trucks.

As for my 250cid inline six (4.5 liters), they put cylinder heads that were cast with the one barrel manifold as part of the head from 1975-1978 ('79s went back to separate head and manifold for the last year in cars).  So you have to rebuild a non-integrated head (usually one off a '75 and later 292cid truck as they kept the separate intake).  No performance inline sixes came from the factory, but the 292 in the trucks did have a HD version that added a 2.5" outlet exhaust manifold and exhaust (over the stock 2" and later 2.25") and put a 250cfm Monojet carb on it (up from the 210cfm mine has).  You can also swap out the stock 1.72" and 1.5" valves with a 1.84" valve off the 305cid small block and 1.6" performance V8 exhaust.  But the inline head needs something called lump ports for siamese intake ports:  

http://www.t6racing.org/index.html

Improves intake flow with the bigger valves.  On the intake side another step up would be a 2bbl carb, or to swap the Monojet factory intake for the Offenhauser 4bbl inline with a 3/4" spacer and 390cfm Holley on top.  The next step up for the exhaust from getting the factory 2.5" HD manifold is the Langdon Stove Bolt dual cast headers with 2" outlets and run a  2"dual exhaust:

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/store/online-catalog/#!/Stovebolt-Cast-Exhaust-Headers-for-GM194-230-250-292-engines/p/1395980/category=18665955

There are plenty of cams to choose from, but the pistons are really limited.  Factory 307 flat tops from 1970 and earlier are the cheapest way to go, The forged 307 flat tops are discontinued and hard to find too.  Special made flat tops will run $600.  Inliners.org forum is the best place to learn about improving your inline sixes and fours.

On 6/30/2016 at 9:54 PM, Lifeguard said:

Yeah, I think the inline six is 100 to 150 lbs lighter than the V8 in front.  Big long nose tho to fit all those cylinders in a row behind the radiator.  

The TPI units in the Camaros and Corvettes during the late '80s were designed for the 305 motors with long plenums to maximize the torque, so I'm not surprised they work on the smaller 283.  Believe it or not that old 283 small block Chevy is the same as the later small blocks.  In fact with the TPI swap, you probably want to also swap for updated 305 HO heads for better flow and small 58cc combustion chambers.

The 396cid big blocks starting in 1969 were actually 402cid from the factory, but they continued to badge and advertise them as 396 so as to stay under the corporate 400cid limit on passenger cars and not confuse it with the new 400cid small block in the trucks.

As for my 250cid inline six (4.5 liters), they put cylinder heads that were cast with the one barrel manifold as part of the head from 1975-1978 ('79s went back to separate head and manifold for the last year in cars).  So you have to rebuild a non-integrated head (usually one off a '75 and later 292cid truck as they kept the separate intake).  No performance inline sixes came from the factory, but the 292 in the trucks did have a HD version that added a 2.5" outlet exhaust manifold and exhaust (over the stock 2" and later 2.25") and put a 250cfm Monojet carb on it (up from the 210cfm mine has).  You can also swap out the stock 1.72" and 1.5" valves with a 1.84" valve off the 305cid small block and 1.6" performance V8 exhaust.  But the inline head needs something called lump ports for siamese intake ports:  

http://www.t6racing.org/index.html

Improves intake flow with the bigger valves.  On the intake side another step up would be a 2bbl carb, or to swap the Monojet factory intake for the Offenhauser 4bbl inline with a 3/4" spacer and 390cfm Holley on top.  The next step up for the exhaust from getting the factory 2.5" HD manifold is the Langdon Stove Bolt dual cast headers with 2" outlets and run a  2"dual exhaust:

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/store/online-catalog/#!/Stovebolt-Cast-Exhaust-Headers-for-GM194-230-250-292-engines/p/1395980/category=18665955

There are plenty of cams to choose from, but the pistons are really limited.  Factory 307 flat tops from 1970 and earlier are the cheapest way to go, The forged 307 flat tops are discontinued and hard to find too.  Special made flat tops will run $600.  Inliners.org forum is the best place to learn about improving your inline sixes and fours.

ah so you have a full plan worked out then, with the siamese intake ports thing, I think they actually had those on hemi cars, or something close to them, or maybe even on some of the LS engines.

hell maybe something off the Chrysler valiant would work for it, or even the Hemi Version they had in Australasia that was a straight six hemi I think, also about the same cubic inch size as that motor too.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 3 months later...
On 7/5/2016 at 9:24 PM, Kavinsky said:

ah so you have a full plan worked out then, with the siamese intake ports thing, I think they actually had those on hemi cars, or something close to them, or maybe even on some of the LS engines.

hell maybe something off the Chrysler valiant would work for it, or even the Hemi Version they had in Australasia that was a straight six hemi I think, also about the same cubic inch size as that motor too.

Yeah, plans and never enough money.  Shot most of my spendie cash on Smith & Wessons (645-early, 645-INT, 6906-early) and want to get a Detonics next, along with holsters and sunglasses.  Still haven't invested in watches yet.  The Camaro project will go into storage for the midwestern winters in November and not come out again until April.  By then, maybe my fortunes will change and I can fully restore and update it.

Wait a minute, this was a Bren Ten topic thread.......damn you Kavinsky!!!!!! ;)

Edited by Lifeguard

On 10/9/2016 at 4:17 AM, Lifeguard said:

Yeah, plans and never enough money.  Shot most of my spendie cash on Smith & Wessons (645-early, 645-INT, 6906-early) and want to get a Detonics next, along with holsters and sunglasses.  Still haven't invested in watches yet.  The Camaro project will go into storage for the midwestern winters in November and not come out again until April.  By then, maybe my fortunes will change and I can fully restore and update it.

Wait a minute, this was a Bren Ten topic thread.......damn you Kavinsky!!!!!! ;)

Sorry its the nature of the beast lol and with the 645, I've started shooting it again recently and its amazing how good it is really, as I thought I was going to have to go to town on it like you do with a ruger, where you have to replace all of the crappy parts with good ones.

and the steel feels a little weird compared to latter stainless steel guns, like its a little rougher around the edges feel wise, as it was one of their first forrays into stainless steel really, 1983, and the things made like 1986/1987, but that quicky wears off and smooths out as it might just be a result of the finishing work they had on it, and its very top heavy, abit like the CZ really. but supremly accurate and easy to shoot once you get used to the muzzle blast.

as the key is to follow the muzzleblast all the way through, with the detonics I havent really had any experience with it, but it has a triple recoil spring system and it might be possible to have a custom one made, via a remington 1911 if they make those in a commander size now

as I figure that, take it to a customizer, cut down the barrel and install a new glock recoil spring system for one of their 45's as its a triple spring recoil system now, much like the actual gun. and go from there.

On 10/15/2016 at 4:39 PM, Kavinsky said:

Sorry its the nature of the beast lol and with the 645, I've started shooting it again recently and its amazing how good it is really, as I thought I was going to have to go to town on it like you do with a ruger, where you have to replace all of the crappy parts with good ones.

and the steel feels a little weird compared to latter stainless steel guns, like its a little rougher around the edges feel wise, as it was one of their first forrays into stainless steel really, 1983, and the things made like 1986/1987, but that quicky wears off and smooths out as it might just be a result of the finishing work they had on it, and its very top heavy, abit like the CZ really. but supremly accurate and easy to shoot once you get used to the muzzle blast.

as the key is to follow the muzzleblast all the way through, with the detonics I havent really had any experience with it, but it has a triple recoil spring system and it might be possible to have a custom one made, via a remington 1911 if they make those in a commander size now

as I figure that, take it to a customizer, cut down the barrel and install a new glock recoil spring system for one of their 45's as its a triple spring recoil system now, much like the actual gun. and go from there.

Yeah, my 645-early (square screw hand grips, allen screw de-cocker) was a rougher shape gun I settled for when funds were limited.  The backstrap is marred and needs a new one, the bead blasted areas are a little shiny on wear areas, the brushed surfaces have a few scratches.  I already replaced the worn Pachmayr grips on it with correct ones.  And i have the plastic fore-sight off and debating wether to color it black or to see if someone with a 3D printer can make some black ones for me.  But the recoil spring is soft in comparison with my unfired 645-INT, and when the springs are side by side the 645-early one is a good half inch shorter.  I have a neighbor at my new house in the country that shoots out back, I need to see if I can get some range time with him to experiment with recoil spring kit to see which works best for follow-up shots on each 645.  But I've got some time to break down the 645-early now and do some gunsmithing and spring swapping on it, and may just find someone who can bead blast and restore a brushed finish.  Otherwise I will have to do it myself and just polish it instead like my 645-INT and 6906-early slides.  My 6906-early is kind of between the two condition wise.  Oh got side-tracked and forgot to mention casting, yeah I know what you are talking about with the S&W 2nd Gens.  Side by side you can see how the 3rd Gen handguns have the sharpe edges where sides meet, like around the trigger guard, smoothed.  The 3rd Gens are more refined than the 2nd Gens.  The parts are interchangeable, but you definitely can tell which Gen you have in your hand by feel.  

Still looking for a reasonably priced Detonics Combatmaster Mk VI to pop up.  I've seen them in the past, so it's a matter of patience.  I gotta get pretty frustrated with it before I would go with a custom.  And there's always the Ebel and fake Rolex watches in the meantime to get while waiting.  The really hard get is the early Galco ankle glove holster.  I've got an early calf strap (no logo) for it, but have never seen one for a compact 1911 or any other come up online.  It makes me wonder if Crockett's wasn't maybe a custom made during 1st season?  The modern ones have a thicker neoprene strap than the one used on the show, and I just never see a thinner strap holster come up on eBay or GunBroker.

Edited by Lifeguard

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2016 at 10:42 PM, Lifeguard said:

IMG_1202_zpso1tp5z5o.jpg

IMG_1205_zpsuvn1pdbd.jpg

IMG_1842_zpsteudpfcs.jpg

I actually colored mine black with a permanent marker at first, also top tip for anyone, permanent marker instantly comes off when it mixes with Alcohol as the front sight had a slight mark on it and was showing bare metal in one tiny spot so i was trying to cover it up with some model paint and figured what the hell, and it did work, although it is possible that it was a universal part, as maybe theirs another variant of the model 39 that had that black insert, maybe via a 639? although the Mighty Callahan Magnum has had that kind of insert since day one really, as far back back in 55' so look towards the N frame magnums and see if it was a special order part that maybe someone decided to use on a few of the first ones.

as I've seen Black via the special forces article on the 645, and on the show, and that was just a son of a bitch moment when I noticed that and wondered why the gun looked different on the show I'll tell ya that much lol and I've seen white, possibly from that same article now that I think of it and then red, so their must have been some sort of choosing or ordering method for the first ones, as why would that be so sporadic then?

and YEAH new Recoil spring NOW! as that's a target load spring, they came with that from the factory on some of them. I dont know why but some did, and some didnt, mine wasnt one of them, and they did make match variants of them, of both that and the 4006, and apparently this is a 4506 but its so 1911 like that its not even that anymore

and it might have been put in by the previous owner, as some people have a serious problem racking the slide on some guns, so I think alot of people might have put them in there just because it was easier and didnt seem to screw up the way the gun shoots that much.

so go to wolf, see what they recommend and go for that

you know classic case, it has one purpose, lets ignore that and use it for something else. like the guy who uses an emergency battery pack to change the batteries of his remote at home, needs it in the field and then finds he has none

also the holster in season one, it was probably a revolver holster repurposed for the purpose, as I saw a photo on gunblast where he had a sig sauer P232, a J frame and the detonics and they were all about roughly the same size. so its possible that maybe they modified a universal holster or just straight used it as is for it.

as the show was abit rough when it came to its productions in the early episodes, almost like a pastel filled version of the movie nighthawks really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnvbtAoucPU

also with the detonics itself, this is abit trival but its kinda funny really, the desert eagle has the same kind of rear slide treatment as it, as its an SAO only as well, as that's what the cut is for, makes it easier to cock in a hurry and I wonder if they stole that from it really.

except they put the rear sight there instead of a higher up position

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Desert_Eagle#/media/File:Desert_Eagle_beside_a_box_of_Speer_325_Grain_HP.jpg

also with watches, well.... good quality watches that are better than rolexes are far easier to come by nowadays than what they were back in the day, check out this guy and his feed and pick and choose the most miami vice like one you can find.

https://www.youtube.com/user/theurbangentry/videos

https://www.instagram.com/tgv1983/

like the casio edifice for instance, and people do mod the lower ends to look cooler. plus its a good way to try out what you like, as I went for a casio 106, a watch as big as a sea dweller and well i found I hated it after a few months, and it was only 40 bucks. beats spending god knows how much for it

as rolexes, they've gone insane, like 8 grand at 800 bucks a month for 12 months for an explorer 2, when you can get the pre ceramic for less than half that. and they've jacked up the price for a submariner from 6 to 10

plus heres the real kicker, I'm at a bar and what do I see above me, an advertisement for an F type, monthly payment? 800 bucks for a Jag F type, yeah, tough choice lol

a one purpose watch that wont be worth half of what I paid for it in 5 to 10, or an F type, something that I wouldnt resent paying that much money for lol

as their are deals out there, you just need to know where to look, and its gotta be vintage, as their are alot of hemi cudas out there just waiting to be discovered that can be bought for a dollar in the watch world, the catch is no one knows about them as everyones looking at their phones for time now.

and actually apparently more people are stealing I phones than watches now, provided its not a brand that's well known like rolex, hell some of the 1960's omegas have been selling for seiko money for god sakes.

which is rather insulting in a way if you bought the thing new but stiil I guess they were the Jag Mark 2's of their day, everyone had one, even patrick Mcgoohan in the Prisoner and Ryan Gosling in the nice guys, I mean what can you say, its a buyers marker if you know where to look.  just make sure it doesnt need parts, as that's where it gets you, as the parts are worth more than the watch.so go for post 1964

and if anyone knows where I can get a gold seconds hand and a a new silver dial for one made in 64, give me a ring a ding lol

SW44magadvertisement.jpg

SW44magadvertisement.jpg

Edited by Kavinsky

On 10/26/2016 at 1:29 AM, Kavinsky said:

I actually colored mine black with a permanent marker at first, also top tip for anyone, permanent marker instantly comes off when it mixes with Alcohol as the front sight had a slight mark on it and was showing bare metal in one tiny spot so i was trying to cover it up with some model paint and figured what the hell, and it did work, although it is possible that it was a universal part, as maybe theirs another variant of the model 39 that had that black insert, maybe via a 639? although the Mighty Callahan Magnum has had that kind of insert since day one really, as far back back in 55' so look towards the N frame magnums and see if it was a special order part that maybe someone decided to use on a few of the first ones.

as I've seen Black via the special forces article on the 645, and on the show, and that was just a son of a bitch moment when I noticed that and wondered why the gun looked different on the show I'll tell ya that much lol and I've seen white, possibly from that same article now that I think of it and then red, so their must have been some sort of choosing or ordering method for the first ones, as why would that be so sporadic then?

and YEAH new Recoil spring NOW! as that's a target load spring, they came with that from the factory on some of them. I dont know why but some did, and some didnt, mine wasnt one of them, and they did make match variants of them, of both that and the 4006, and apparently this is a 4506 but its so 1911 like that its not even that anymore

and it might have been put in by the previous owner, as some people have a serious problem racking the slide on some guns, so I think alot of people might have put them in there just because it was easier and didnt seem to screw up the way the gun shoots that much.

so go to wolf, see what they recommend and go for that

you know classic case, it has one purpose, lets ignore that and use it for something else. like the guy who uses an emergency battery pack to change the batteries of his remote at home, needs it in the field and then finds he has none

also the holster in season one, it was probably a revolver holster repurposed for the purpose, as I saw a photo on gunblast where he had a sig sauer P232, a J frame and the detonics and they were all about roughly the same size. so its possible that maybe they modified a universal holster or just straight used it as is for it.

as the show was abit rough when it came to its productions in the early episodes, almost like a pastel filled version of the movie nighthawks really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnvbtAoucPU

also with the detonics itself, this is abit trival but its kinda funny really, the desert eagle has the same kind of rear slide treatment as it, as its an SAO only as well, as that's what the cut is for, makes it easier to cock in a hurry and I wonder if they stole that from it really.

except they put the rear sight there instead of a higher up position

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Desert_Eagle#/media/File:Desert_Eagle_beside_a_box_of_Speer_325_Grain_HP.jpg

also with watches, well.... good quality watches that are better than rolexes are far easier to come by nowadays than what they were back in the day, check out this guy and his feed and pick and choose the most miami vice like one you can find.

https://www.youtube.com/user/theurbangentry/videos

https://www.instagram.com/tgv1983/

like the casio edifice for instance, and people do mod the lower ends to look cooler. plus its a good way to try out what you like, as I went for a casio 106, a watch as big as a sea dweller and well i found I hated it after a few months, and it was only 40 bucks. beats spending god knows how much for it

as rolexes, they've gone insane, like 8 grand at 800 bucks a month for 12 months for an explorer 2, when you can get the pre ceramic for less than half that. and they've jacked up the price for a submariner from 6 to 10

plus heres the real kicker, I'm at a bar and what do I see above me, an advertisement for an F type, monthly payment? 800 bucks for a Jag F type, yeah, tough choice lol

a one purpose watch that wont be worth half of what I paid for it in 5 to 10, or an F type, something that I wouldnt resent paying that much money for lol

as their are deals out there, you just need to know where to look, and its gotta be vintage, as their are alot of hemi cudas out there just waiting to be discovered that can be bought for a dollar in the watch world, the catch is no one knows about them as everyones looking at their phones for time now.

and actually apparently more people are stealing I phones than watches now, provided its not a brand that's well known like rolex, hell some of the 1960's omegas have been selling for seiko money for god sakes.

which is rather insulting in a way if you bought the thing new but stiil I guess they were the Jag Mark 2's of their day, everyone had one, even patrick Mcgoohan in the Prisoner and Ryan Gosling in the nice guys, I mean what can you say, its a buyers marker if you know where to look.  just make sure it doesnt need parts, as that's where it gets you, as the parts are worth more than the watch.so go for post 1964

and if anyone knows where I can get a gold seconds hand and a a new silver dial for one made in 64, give me a ring a ding lol

I lost one of my plunger pins on the de-cocker mechanism, so I'm doing a parts order now.  I'll have to see if I can find one for the black sight for the revolver.

My recoil springs are a mixed bag.  My 645-INT came with a longer stiffer spring than my 645-early.  It is a bear to chamber a round with.  I ordered a Wolf standard spring for a 645 which is a 14 lb recoil spring.  It is actually slightly longer than the spring out of my 645-INT.  When I get it back together I'll have to do some side by side comparisons on these three springs to see what they feel like in the same handgun.  Wolf also has them from 12 lb down to 8lb.  They offer stiffer ones, but I don't see the point in those as they are just going to slam the slide even harder each shot than the jack-hammer-like standard spring.  The lighter spring in my 645-early is probably a factory target spring, or more likely a softer spring that was swapped out by the previous owner when they put Pachmayr grips on it too.  The 645-early was well used handgun, but my 645-INT was basically brand new.

My 6906-early came with a spring that was green in color.  I've never seen a spring that wasn't a plain finish in on of these before.  Even the Wolf springs are just unfinished.  Seems like this is an aftermarket one.  Wolf only offers the standard 15 lb spring and a lighter 14 lb spring, so I ordered a 14 to see if it I preferred it.  But the Wolf 14 lb and the green spring both feel about the same.  Next order I may just get all Wolf springs in various weights and discard that springs that came with them, so I know which one I'm using. I took different color paint markers and colored the springs so I could keep them straight which were which.  White for the standard spring, blue for the step down spring, red for two steps down, green for three steps down.  Now I can just play around and see which ones I prefer.

Edited by Lifeguard

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2016 at 10:14 AM, Lifeguard said:

I lost one of my plunger pins on the de-cocker mechanism, so I'm doing a parts order now.  I'll have to see if I can find one for the black sight for the revolver.

My recoil springs are a mixed bag.  My 645-INT came with a longer stiffer spring than my 645-early.  It is a bear to chamber a round with.  I ordered a Wolf standard spring for a 645 which is a 14 lb recoil spring.  It is actually slightly longer than the spring out of my 645-INT.  When I get it back together I'll have to do some side by side comparisons on these three springs to see what they feel like in the same handgun.  Wolf also has them from 12 lb down to 8lb.  They offer stiffer ones, but I don't see the point in those as they are just going to slam the slide even harder each shot than the jack-hammer-like standard spring.  The lighter spring in my 645-early is probably a factory target spring, or more likely a softer spring that was swapped out by the previous owner when they put Pachmayr grips on it too.  The 645-early was well used handgun, but my 645-INT was basically brand new.

My 6906-early came with a spring that was green in color.  I've never seen a spring that wasn't a plain finish in on of these before.  Even the Wolf springs are just unfinished.  Seems like this is an aftermarket one.  Wolf only offers the standard 15 lb spring and a lighter 14 lb spring, so I ordered a 14 to see if it I preferred it.  But the Wolf 14 lb and the green spring both feel about the same.  Next order I may just get all Wolf springs in various weights and discard that springs that came with them, so I know which one I'm using. I took different color paint markers and colored the springs so I could keep them straight which were which.  White for the standard spring, blue for the step down spring, red for two steps down, green for three steps down.  Now I can just play around and see which ones I prefer.

yeah I tried putting an 18 in the 4006, one above standard and it slammed it so far back that it would lock open on a live round and it did this more than a few times and I had the option of going for a 20 as well, needless to say I put the 17 back in it,

and then i noticed how oxidized the guide rod was and polished it with mothers mag polish, along with a light sanding to the feed ramp via a fine sanding stick for plastic models, so now as long as I dont grip too high, the gun no longer stove pipes on me. so sometimes the function of the gun has nothing to do with the spring or the action, but rather the guide rod itself, as it was noticibly coarse.

to the point that I may try and order a new one to see if they came from the factory anything like that, as theres a physical bump I can feel at one end, and this may have been one of the first from when the machining was fresh and untried, hence the problems I was having with it.

as after doing that polish job I had no stove pipes in 40 rounds, and it instantly stovepiped when I tried to grip higher, as before then there was something like 2 in a 100, one at the start, one at the end and the hold didnt matter, now it doesnt jam and it only does it when I grip it wrong, consistantly too for two rounds right after each other

which means I'm on the right track finally, and maybe switching the grips back to the less chunky and grippy stock grips will help with that, but like all machines, every single one is different and sometimes requires outside of the box thinking to get it running right.

also take the springs, put them in bags and label them as theirs no pressing on them to tell you what they are after you open the packaging which makes it easy to mix up.

IE plastic bags, tamiya masking tape, the non plastic finished one, the one that's like normal masking tape but better, and write the poundage on it.

and that should help you keep it straight.

Edited by Kavinsky