Episode #19 "The Home Invaders"

Ferrariman

• 10 months later...
  • Administrators

This was one of my favorite eps.Loved the way Castillo and Malone squared off and Sonny was caught in the middle between mentor and boss.Loved the ripped seat on Myriel Goldman's vette. :)I always wondered if that was the same car used for Robbie in "Buddies"?The two hookers brought new meaning to the term "lack of IQ"!I also loved the way Castillo threw the plastic patio furniture through the sliding glass door at the end. If he tried that today with the new hurricane codes in south Florida, the chair would have bounced off the door and hit him. :)I give this one a 9/10.

• Like 1

I'll comment on this episode when I get back home.Now, I'm snowed in Conn. Flight to Florida cancelled! See you soon! I liked This episode, though........probably 10/10!! :thumbsup:

Home Invaders is a great episode. One of the best episodes of season 1. Too bad about the lack of Tubbs but Crockett and Castillo made a great team and this episode was important with the evolvement of their relationship. This is such a strong episode I can overlook the abscence of Tubbs.Excellently helmed by Abel Ferrera. Very tense and suspenseful the whole way through. Excellent work by Jan Hammer, especially his tune 'Clues'. It had cool guest stars in Luther from The Warriors and Paco Moreno from Bad Boys(the Sean Penn one). It had very in-depth scenes with both sides of the law. Fascinating to see the procedural side of the investigation. The whole ep was really thrilling. Great scenery too with some nice shots of Miami's beautiful homes. The animosity between Castillo and Malone was great. I loved the scene with Malone and Sonny out by the pool. Sonny leapt to Castillo's defence "He may not have the warmest disposition in the world but he's one hell of an investigator". That was a beautiful looking scene. Everytime I see it I think "I'd love to live there!"Michael Mann's touch was very evident in Home Invaders. There's a lot of things in the episode similar to scenes in his films. The guys wearing hockey masks was obviously like Heat and Castillo smashing the chair through the window was like the scene where DeNiro did the same. The intruders shining flashlights on the sleeping couple was like the opening scene in Manhunter and the last scene where Malone tells Sonny he has turned in his badge was like the ending of The Insider where Pacino candidly tells Christopher Plummer he has quit. Overall, a great episode and a highlight of season one. 9/10

• Like 1

I gave this episode a 10. Although I may not be as communicative and eloquent as Vercetti, I thought the chick in the bikini and roller skates was a highlight :)

• Like 1

Guest neworder

The Home Invaders is a decent episode, the only thing missing really is Tubbs. However his absence let’s Castillo shine, Castillo is great in many of the scenes, especially when he’s criticizing the paper thin reports on the home invasions. Some of hammer’s music is very good, including his ‘clues’ track but when the scene slows down on the Ferrari, its quite clear that Crockett isn’t driving the car and that its his stunt double. There isn’t much else to say about this episode to be fair, it’s a fairly standard episode with nothing hugely special about it but its well done and there are some good performances7/10

The Rise of Castillo! It's happened a few times that Castillo has squared off with someone and won (proven correct). I really like Castillo and his no-nonsense, straight to the point attitude. No need for small talk, there's work to do. A man of convictions + integrity - its a recurring theme throughout MV.

Good ep. I love the moment at the very end when Castillo blows smoke up the ass of Malone about how hard he'll be to replace. This after he's spent the entire ep jawing about what an inept loser he is!

Although it lacks Tubbs this one made up for it with giving Castillo more to do showing off his trademark cool. Also great seeing David Patrick Kelly on the show ("Warriors ... come out to plaaay!"). Very good episode that does flesh out a bit more of Crockett's past as well. 9/10.

Edited by agent 47
New review due to Blu-ray viewing.

Home Invaders- Perfect except no TubbsAh Home Invaders. one of my very favorite episodes. The only fly in the ointment is that Rico's not there, but at least they mention where he is. For that reason I rate it a 9. Also I found it interesting that Crockett comes in by himself since during this time he's still supposed to be involved with Gina. I thought it interesting the way Sonny interacts with his old boss and his old unit. It's also interesting to note he goes and shares a desk with an old pal still in Robbery-Homicide, while the rest of the Vice Unit go and take uncomfortable chairs elsewhere sort of off to the side where the guests and visitors sit. I love the way Castillo and Crockett interact with each other. Sonny's trying so hard to balance his loyalty to both Lieutenants: His old boss and his current boss. He sticks up for both of them. He tells Malone that Castillo has a legitimate beef about the paper work, and to Castillo, he says he knows this guy he'll come through. The interview of the hookers is just too funny, and as they look in the books of mug shots to try and find the guy that beat her up, the comments are hilarious. When Castillo comes up with the common denominator to all the home invasions. Crockett's grin seems to say to me. See I told you he was a good investigator, as well as at last we have some action on this thing. The whole Beauty shop thing brought memories back to going to the Salon in the eighties and hearing the music play there, and I swear that one hairdresser looks just like Russ who was a hair dresser here in Bloomington! Sheila E.'s Glamourous Life is just perfect for this scene. Mrs. Goldman is a riot both when she takes off when Castillo flashes his badge and tells her to pull over. Then she's screaming when Sonny finally corners her car and the expressions on Crockett's face are priceless, and also there's a hint of expression on Castillo's also. Did anybody recognize the guy playing the black sergeant who later on in 4th season turns up in Mirror Image as Tubbs old friend Sergeant Roland in Ft. Lauderdale? The home invaders must be psychos because they seemed to enjoy torturing their victims. We find out about this early in the teaser as you can hear them arguing outside which one is going to do the woman since one of them did another woman the last time. Too bad these guys didn't put their time and money into some sort of honest enterprise. They seemed pretty organized, and they definitely put in the time for the casing of the joints. One more thing, I love the way Crockett took care of Angel by the lifting him up by the____ “Primitive but effective†line was priceless. Did it seem to anyone else that Castillo was influencing Crockett some in his interviewing style as he interviewed the victims? It seemed to me that Crockett was using the same kind of voice as Castillo was when questioning the first victim, and also when he called to find out where Mrs. Goldman kept her car, until he got exasperated with her comments!Another funny section was when Crockett evidently began the celebration while waiting for John and Marty. He seems a little soused when they finally make it there. I’m guessing this was champagne and Sonny, being used to the harder stuff or Beer, wasn’t use to Champagne and that’s why he was kind of tipsy.(this review was written a few years ago before I developed my sectional approach.):o

"The Home Invaders" is an outstanding episode. For me, only the lack of Tubbs keeps it from being a perfect 10, so I gave it a 9 (perfect 10's I'd reserve for those episodes that I feel are "definitive". THI is certainly an essential ep for any Vice fan, however). The climax is just a knock-out. Proof-positive for anyone that didn't get it near the end of S1 that MV was really something special (and edgy: The opening teaser is pretty disturbing for 1985 TV!) Only gripe? Crockett's jacket at the end :eek:! That's a minor nitpick, though.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Did anybody recognize the guy playing the black sergeant who later on in 4th season turns up in Mirror Image as Tubbs old friend Sergeant Roland in Ft. Lauderdale?

Yes' date=' I did[/url']. I took me several times watching the concerning episode, but at last I found out. *-)Not so many new insights in my review - mainly I agree with the previous writers.I love the episode! The storyline is great and still up-to-date: A gang of merciless thugs who spy on wealthy citizens and rob them with targeted precision. Still today you can read headlines like this in the newspapers, still today there are gangs working exactly on the same principles. Their elaborated working style demands from the Vice departement an equivalent investigation. That's why Castillo is so much angry about Malones "easy going" inquiry. The question of authority makes Sonny sitting between two chairs: Great! This type of difficult human interacting is one of the best parts of Vice in my book! The episode also shows parts of police work which are not as hot as driving the ferrari and squezzing informants: surveillance and studying files for hours and hours, also a little bit of Sherlock Holmes' power of deduction. Martin Castillo isn't lieutenant for nothing. Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildThere is also much humor ... for example the two ladies in the OCB, Sonny’s and Castillo’s first encounter with Myriel Goldman or Sonny’s acting at the jewelry.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildAnd of course: Sonny is the only male being I know who looks terrific even not slept off. hmmmm. By the way: In this episode you can find many pastel items again. Sonny’s clothing is great with one exception: The green striped jacket he wears at the end of the episode (Lar, I'm with you!). That poor piece looks like coming straight from the 70's. Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildNevertheless my rate is only a 9 because I miss Rico.

This episode is almost perfect (good storyline, acting, etc.) but hardly any Tubbs! Oh well...anyone else agree?

I give this episode a 7. It had a good suspense level throughout, but I felt the kind of assignment they were into did not coordinate well with the usual style of MV.

Did anybody recognize the guy playing the black sergeant who later on in 4th season turns up in Mirror Image as Tubbs old friend Sergeant Roland in Ft. Lauderdale?

Yeah, and that young Brunette hooker girl was also the one that Crockett was talking to at the party in "Rites of Passage".Ebersol and Crockett must have been good mates back in Robbery, seeing as Crockett was confident enough to accuse him of having no dress sense and being fat as soon as he'd walked through the door!I liked the funky Reggae style music that starts at 16:43, but what was Crockett thinking? Who does their office work sat at the bar in a crowded club? Don't know about over in the US, but over here the paperwork would be covered in beer stains within about two minutes.Mr and Mrs Feld were feisty old dudes. I like how Mrs Feld says "Give them what they want", and Mr Feld shouts "I ain't givin these bums nuthin'". Check out how many questions Crockett and Castillo ask Malone after the burglary. Eight in a row! No wonder he got impatient!DanJ took myself and my dad on a tour of where the "Mrs Goldman" car chase scenes took place. If you look closely, when Crockett and Castillo finally get her to stop and then get out of Daytona, you can see gas pumps in the background. That was where DanJ stopped to fill up. I like how when Crockett and Castillo are waiting for the Home Invaders to turn up, Castillo is so relaxed he's reading a book!42:07, check out Castillo's Vulcan death grip!I love the final shootout between the Home Invaders and Crockett and Castillo. This scene represents for me what always attracted me to Vice, the way it uses imagary and music. You hear Jan Hammer's background music slowly rise in volume as you see the slow motion of Castillo throwing the chair at the window. As soon as it hits the window, the music kicks in. Again, I love Vice's timing.I also like the ending scene and Jan's music (Night Talk) that accompanies it. Does anyone know where they filmed this diner scene? The shape of the building and the art deco walls would suggest to me that it has to be South Beach. I was wondering if it was what is now the 11th street diner on the corner of Collins Avenue and 11th street, however the buildings through the windows don't seem to match.All in all, "Home Invaders" was a classic Miami Vice episode, one of the best of Season 1, and I'll give it 8 out of 10.

I give the episode a 9.It has things of a special and normal one together.I like the waiting scene with Sonny und Matrin and the end scene of course.Further i like it, because this one belongs to 4 episode, which bring me to this series in order to watch it often.

"The Home Invaders" was always one of my favorites. It's in my top 5 episodes. There is camaraderie & humor, when Sonny sees his buddies in Robbery & one says, referring to his clothes, Hey, the circus is in town. Sonny says because you work Homicide, you don't have to dress like a dead body! There is suspense, & action. Good investigative work, especially when Castillo narrows the common denominator between victims down to the Hair Emporium. Gina getting her "Do" there is a glimpse into the Miami High Life! Mrs. Goldman is a blast, the shootout with the punks keeps you on the edge of your seat, & the party where Malone announces his retirement is both sad & happy. I could watch this one over & over! Too bad Tubbs is on leave. I still rate it a 10!

• 3 months later...

I rate it just slightly short of 10. 9/10.It's funny stuck in the middle of this serious episode, you have two overly dim hookers (i think they were waiting to get on Jay Leno's Jaywalking) and Muriel who was equally bizarre.The writer of the episode , Chuck Adamson, used the home invader plot in his "Crime Story" a year and a half later. Apparently based on crimes in Chicago in the 60s.

• 3 weeks later...

Great episode even without Rico. I think this really solidified the relationship between Sony and Castillo. I think Sonny gained a great respect for Castillo's abilities as a cop during this one. This epsiode is an 8 in my book.

• 11 months later...

I love this episode! I remember watching it when it originally aired. I was fairly young and spending the night at a friend's house. It was storming outside and I remember thinking--what would it be like if all of a sudden these crazy thugs just burst in our door like they did at the beginning of this episode! :) I had a very vivid and wild imagination...some things don't change. ;)Anyway, I loved the storyline with Sonny being caught in the middle of the sparring between Castillo and his old boss and friend John Malone. I thought everyone did a superb job and I liked the interaction between Crockett and Castillo. I also love Castillo smashing the sliding glass doors out and shooting the bad guys at the end! Also interesting is that Tubbs was not in this episode--supposedly he had taken some time off and was visiting Valerie back in New York. I've read in later years that Philip Michael Thomas had hurt his ankle, or leg, or something like that and that's why he wasn't there. Tubbs hadn't been there that long, so the idea that he could suddenly take time off was kind of funny to me. :rolleyes:Overall I loved this episode and I gave it an 8! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

LOL@ how Castillo "rips" the pamphelet to shreds in the briefing.The man simply was too cool for the room, plus it showed how ineffective Malone's unit was at solving the case. Sonny didn't like being caught in the middle, but he knew Marty was right. Plus is wasn't a pissing contest, Castillo's concern was that they weren't giving %100 to catch those guys. Solid episode, despite Tubbs's absence.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

After the comedy-trip of Made For Each Other, we are surprised by a hard and brutal episode - Home Invaders.:happy::klatsch::glossy:Already the teaser is remarkably violent. We are confronted with a primal fear: the bell rings, you open the door and there are three armed home invaders who not only want to steal your property, but also mistreat your family.:schwitz:Our VICE team has to work together with John Malone's departement - Sonny's former mentor. This fact is new, but very good because a dispute between Castillo and Malone arises and Sonny stucks between a rock and a hard place.:cool:Castillo and Malone are very different: Malone handles the case like a normal burglary and ignores important details. Maybe he does police work too long or he is burnt out. Anyway Castillo doesn't accept his slack methods and solves the case with his team on its own.For me, Castillo is admirable because he always goes strictly his own way. He doesn't care whether he gets on other people's bad side or how other people think about him.:daumenrauf:Maybe Malone is a better pal than Castillo, but in such a dangerous and important job, he has to follow each track and has to be accurate.Despite the absence of Rico, I don't miss him here because it's very interesting to see Castillo investigating with Sonny on the streets.:klatsch:He shows that he isn't a pencil pusher who always commands, but he also attends dirty works!Concerning style, I love Sonny's wider range of jackets and trousers!:happy: I would immediately buy his complete garderobe!:)The scenes of the Hair Emporium are also very worth seeing. Glamourous Life by Sheila E. fits perfectly to those.:radio:Jan Hammer's Clues is very good, also Home Invaders which is unreleased, but covered by Rick Leon.:radio:Of course, 10 of 10 stars!!!:glossy:

• 2 months later...

The Home Invaders19. The Home InvadersThis episode is fantastic. Definitely a favorite of season 1 for me. Since Tubbs was missing from this one, we get to see Sonny and Castillo work together. I liked how Castillo and Malone butted heads throughout the entire episode. Sonny was conflicted early because he doesn’t exactly want to choose sides. Sonny though begins to see what Castillo was seeing the whole time in that Malone was a little rusty with procedure. Malone did seem disinterested in his work during the briefing at the older couples house. Castillo and Sonny are trying to dissect the crime and Malone is acting like they are annoying the heck out of him. The hookers in the hotel were just plain dumb. Sonny should have just thrown them in the slammer. In the end, it was good to see Sonny and Castillo work together and resolve the case. Malone knew that he was losing his touch but he didn’t like others telling him about it. The music in this episode was pretty good. I like Hammer’s “Clues†when Sonny is driving around. However, it still reminds me of Out Where the Buses Don’t Run more than this episode. “Night Talk†at the end was also a great one. The music goes very well with the scene. Sonny’s wardrobe was all over the place in this episode. Anyway, this is a great episode even though Tubbs was missing. 10/10

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

One of the real highlights of the first season. Abel Ferrara's work is great here and like it's been mentioned Michael Mann's influence is strong. Great story, great actors and from intro to the end credits great atmosphere. Also it's great to see Crockett and Castillo working together and this episode is also one of very few that depicts real police work.10/10

i find a good episode:thumbsup:, good story:thumbsup:,good music:thumbsup:simple resourcefully :thumbsup: