Episode #19 "The Home Invaders"

Ferrariman

I recall being bored by this episode during my first viewing. I rewatched it recently and I actually enjoyed it. I like the story, there's decent tension with the Vice crew finding out how the invaders work. I used to hate cream colored/ivory clothing but Crockett's combination at one point in the episode (cream jacket, pink henley, blue pants) looked great and convinced me to reconsider.

• 1 year later...

PMT not being available was a blessing in disguise because he would have altered the whole episode completely. Castillo taking centre stage and partnering up with Crockett was a treat for us, and battling it out with other lieutenant and detectives, being critical of their police work. I mean would they have even gone to their department if Philip was in it? would we have had those scenes namely the clues scene with Marty checking the files over and have been part of that classic ending?

This episode was great because Castillo was at the heart of it. It is unique.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Kinda looks like the stuff called "coquina" (I think), which is made up from crushed seashells.  I can thank the fort in St. Augustine for that little fact.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I love this episode! Very freaky, and somewhat realistic...with psycho robbers bursting in when the families don’t expect it. I remember watching it when it originally aired. I was fairly young and spending the night at a friend's house, and I remember thinking--what would it be like if all of a sudden these crazy thugs just burst in our door like they did at the beginning of this episode! :eek: 

Very “dark” episode...but superb performances by all! Plot was really good, and I loved the storyline with Sonny being caught in the middle of the sparring between Castillo and his old boss and friend John Malone. Sonny knew Castillo was right...but he still “felt” for his old mentor, and friend. I also love Castillo smashing the sliding glass doors out and shooting the bad guys at the end! Awesome action, and it got Marty out from behind the desk again. :dance2: I loved Castillo; you sometimes think he’s just an office-dweller...but he comes out from behind that desk, and you better hope you’re on the side-of-right! 

Also interesting is that Tubbs was not in this episode--supposedly he had taken some time off and was visiting Valerie back in New York (causing himself more drama, and heartache & pain with her, I’m sure :rolleyes:). I've read that Philip Michael Thomas had hurt his ankle, or leg, or something like that in a stunt previous from this episode, and that's why he wasn't there.

But, who totally “made” this episode (and helped counteract the “darkness” & scare of families & children being tormented)...was Muriel, lol!! She was hilarious...I love Castillo & Crockett’s expressions when they try to pull her over to warn her, and she just floors it & takes off in the Vette! :) Then she screams her ex is trying to have her murdered when they do get her stopped...then she says whatever you do, don’t rape me...Sonny’s expression then is classic, lol!! :)

Overall I loved this episode—the plot, the suspense, the performances, the action, etc...and I originally gave it an 8, but I think I’d bump it up to 8.5-9 if I could! :thumbsup: 

DF319FA0-A6F7-4502-8758-8E85B15917B1.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I love this episode! Very freaky, and somewhat realistic...with psycho robbers bursting in when the families don’t expect it. I remember watching it when it originally aired. I was fairly young and spending the night at a friend's house, and I remember thinking--what would it be like if all of a sudden these crazy thugs just burst in our door like they did at the beginning of this episode! :eek: 

Very “dark” episode...but superb performances by all! Plot was really good, and I loved the storyline with Sonny being caught in the middle of the sparring between Castillo and his old boss and friend John Malone. Sonny knew Castillo was right...but he still “felt” for his old mentor, and friend. I also love Castillo smashing the sliding glass doors out and shooting the bad guys at the end! Awesome action, and it got Marty out from behind the desk again. :dance2: I loved Castillo; you sometimes think he’s just an office-dweller...but he comes out from behind that desk, and you better hope you’re on the side-of-right! 

Also interesting is that Tubbs was not in this episode--supposedly he had taken some time off and was visiting Valerie back in New York (causing himself more drama, and heartache & pain with her, I’m sure :rolleyes:). I've read that Philip Michael Thomas had hurt his ankle, or leg, or something like that in a stunt previous from this episode, and that's why he wasn't there.

But, who totally “made” this episode (and helped counteract the “darkness” & scare of families & children being tormented)...was Muriel, lol!! She was hilarious...I love Castillo & Crockett’s expressions when they try to pull her over to warn her, and she just floors it & takes off in the Vette! :) Then she screams her ex is trying to have her murdered when they do get her stopped...then she says whatever you do, don’t rape me...Sonny’s expression then is classic, lol!! :)

Overall I loved this episode—the plot, the suspense, the performances, the action, etc...and I originally gave it an 8, but I think I’d bump it up to 8.5-9 if I could! :thumbsup: 

DF319FA0-A6F7-4502-8758-8E85B15917B1.jpeg

Tubb's not being involved, even though I love the guy made it more creative. I think it was Bren10 who said without Tubb's it open up new doors and made the story more dynamic.

• Like 3

Just now, RedDragon86 said:

Tubb's not being involved, even though I love the guy made it more creative. I think it was Bren10 who said without Tubb's it open up new doors and made the story more dynamic.

I agree...it made it more creative and it gave Castillo another chance to “shine” out in the field! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorites vice episodes ever and among the best from S1. I appreciated the portrayal of the robbery investigative work side of police work. EJO really shone through and made the most of PMT (albeit non intentional) absence. He also got to ride in the Daytona with DJ :). Castillo intuition and approach to the case, while the actual metro armed robbery unit (including Lt. Malone) were in the dark, helped to solve the case through finding the common denominators across the robberies (the emporium beauty saloon and the beatings of prostitutes).

Plus we learn more about Sonny's past and career history at Metro Dade pd. Sonny managed the conflict well without taking sides. He still maintained the respect for his old mentor intact while following the lead of his present day commanding officer. It was a very interesting contrast of past and present authority figures in Sonny's life. I'd say Malone was more a Lieutenant a la Lou Rodriguez in his approach.

The two hookers redefined the meaning of the word 'dumb'. I wish either Gina or Trudy had slapped them in the face for being so annoying. And Mrs Goldman character was the comic relief. She had me laugh hard after the car pursuit scene with Crockett and Lt. Castillo.

And final shootout was superb, among the best overall. EJO smashing the glass window with a chair is pure Micheal Mann trademark. De Niro did the same in "Heat" 10 years later. Not only that, we have some sort of happy ending with everybody celebrating the resolution of the case at a restaurant. Well, not entirely happy as Sonny learned his previous mentor (Lt. Malone) retired on a not so high note. Felt kinda bitter - sweet ending.

This is a 9.5/10.

• Like 3

By the way, I'd seen the actor who portrayed Lt.Malone was in Serpico too alongside Al Pacino.

...forgot to mention in my review another episode highlight. Sonny "castrating" Benny's bodyguard Lou :D:clap:

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favorite episodes from Season 1. As was mentioned before, the plot is very similar to the outline of the Michael Mann directed Manhunter, especially with the scene involving Castillo going through the break-in reports and trying to find the connecting circumstances. I also am a fan of David Patrick Kelly from his iconic role in The Warriors, so his involvement is a bonus. Again, the slow motion breaking window is a classic Mann touch, he used that effectively in Manhunter as well. An atmospheric, well done episode that seemed very realistic and terrifying.

• Like 2

Just now, GoombayPunch said:

One of my favorite episodes from Season 1. As was mentioned before, the plot is very similar to the outline of the Michael Mann directed Manhunter, especially with the scene involving Castillo going through the break-in reports and trying to find the connecting circumstances. I also am a fan of David Patrick Kelly from his iconic role in The Warriors, so his involvement is a bonus. Again, the slow motion breaking window is a classic Mann touch, he used that effectively in Manhunter as well. An atmospheric, well done episode that seemed very realistic and terrifying.

Excellent review! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Michael Mann clearly provided a lot of his own input on this episode, another trademark of his is to walk away from heat and Jerry's crew did just that by ditching that big 200k score.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The invasion of a house is a disturbing subject - one's sanctuary being desecrated even if no physical violence takes place.  Kay Ingram does a good job playing that sense of personal violation when Castillo and Sonny interview her.  Despite this, there is plenty of humor here - Mrs. Goldman, the minty owner of the hair salon who's OK with a patron's dog drowning during its bath, Crockett's "primitive but effective" handling of a mook, and, the biggest laugh, Lana and Sha Sha asserting, "We ain't dumb!"

I liked seeing Jack Kehoe in this; he's in a lot of classic films - The Friends of Eddie CoyleThe StingThe Untouchables.  Crockett trying to defend his former and current looeys to each respective one adds some good tension.  I like his proud smirk when Castillo figures out the beauty salon angle: "That's my Castillo!"  Castillo is just plain awesome in this - hard as nails and ahead of everyone else.  

And I won't even mention that as-good-as nude roller skater.  Nope, I won't.  That would be sexist.  So I will not mention her at all. 

MV_S01-E19_025.png.f168f9c390d1b124aaf362e0a5ffd0bc.png

(I'll post a pic instead)

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

The invasion of a house is a disturbing subject - one's sanctuary being desecrated even if no physical violence takes place.  Kay Ingram does a good job playing that sense of personal violation when Castillo and Sonny interview her.  Despite this, there is plenty of humor here - Mrs. Goldman, the minty owner of the hair salon who's OK with a patron's dog drowning during its bath, Crockett's "primitive but effective" handling of a mook, and, the biggest laugh, Lana and Sha Sha asserting, "We ain't dumb!"

I liked seeing Jack Kehoe in this; he's in a lot of classic films - The Friends of Eddie CoyleThe StingThe Untouchables.  Crockett trying to defend his former and current looeys to each respective one adds some good tension.  I like his proud smirk when Castillo figures out the beauty salon angle: "That's my Castillo!"  Castillo is just plain awesome in this - hard as nails and ahead of everyone else.  

And I won't even mention that as-good-as nude roller skater.  Nope, I won't.  That would be sexist.  So I will not mention her at all. 

MV_S01-E19_025.png.f168f9c390d1b124aaf362e0a5ffd0bc.png

(I'll post a pic instead)

I remember watching this one when it originally aired...as a kid the idea of answering the door & having invaders/psychos bust in and terrorize the family was pretty freaky! :eek: But, I loved Muriel Goldman...she was loveably hilarious! :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I remember watching this one when it originally aired...as a kid the idea of answering the door & having invaders/psychos bust in and terrorize the family was pretty freaky! :eek: But, I loved Muriel Goldman...she was loveably hilarious! :) 

Yes - Sylvia Miles as Muriel, she was also excellent in a more serious role in the Robert Mitchum "Farewell My Lovely" private eye noir.  

Kind of a A Clockwork Orange vibe in that opening home invasion.  Thank God no rape though.  A little bit contrived that Robbery needed the help of Vice, but we get that great "Crockett caught between two mentors" subplot. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Yes - Sylvia Miles as Muriel, she was also excellent in a more serious role in the Robert Mitchum "Farewell My Lovely" private eye noir.  

Kind of a A Clockwork Orange vibe in that opening home invasion.  Thank God no rape though.  A little bit contrived that Robbery needed the help of Vice, but we get that great "Crockett caught between two mentors" subplot. 

Yeah, in the 80s they couldn’t really show a rape...they could hint at it or give the impression one happened, but showing much would have been too graphic for the time. I actually miss those days. But, despite the Clockwork Orange style in the opening invasion, sexual assault wasn’t these invaders thing.

I love noir, but don’t believe I’ve seen Farewell My Lovely...I’ll have to check it out! :thumbsup:

There are actually many episodes/plots of MV that are not in reality anything Vice would have been involved with, lol! But, of course there’s always some little “quirk” that somehow gets Vice involved. ;) In this one, they were brought in to help assist Robbery to try & help Crockett’s old mentor. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, in the 80s they couldn’t really show a rape...they could hint at it or give the impression one happened, but showing much would have been too graphic for the time. I actually miss those days. But, despite the Clockwork Orange style in the opening invasion, sexual assault wasn’t these invaders thing.

I love noir, but don’t believe I’ve seen Farewell My Lovely...I’ll have to check it out! :thumbsup:

There are actually many episodes/plots of MV that are not in reality anything Vice would have been involved with, lol! But, of course there’s always some little “quirk” that somehow gets Vice involved. ;) In this one, they were brought in to help assist Robbery to try & help Crockett’s old mentor. 

"Shadow in the Dark" is one, "Lombard"  as well?

4 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

"Shadow in the Dark" is one, "Lombard"  as well?

Yes, “Shadow” was another episode where it had nothing to do with Vice, but they were brought in to help assist. However, anything to do with the character of Lombard was definitely Vice related...even if murder eventually figured in as well. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 5:55 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Very disturbing, especially the way they are just standing over the old couple while they sleep.

Has "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" vibes to it.

It is rough, authentic and brilliantly done.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Very disturbing, especially the way they are just standing over the old couple while they sleep.

Has "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" vibes to it.

It is rough, authentic and brilliantly done.

I agree, and the storyline is very "Ripped From the Headlines" as well (a rash of home invasions back in this era, maybe most famously real estate developer Stan Cohen, in which his wife was convicted of setting up; "City Confidential" had an episode on it, and "The New Detectives" had a segment on it. I love that stuff, though I'd live fine if people's lives weren't ended or disrupted in those ways, but there isn't much I can do about that;().

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I have wanted to ask this.

Watching the episode again they other night, did Marty kill one of the burglars at the end by breaking his neck or was he put to sleep?

To me it seemed very forceful and you can hear a break like he killed him.

Untitled.png.6aa027185bb0d7cba636f9516d139372.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I have wanted to ask this.

Watching the episode again they other night, did Marty kill one of the burglars at the end by breaking his neck or was he put to sleep?

To me it seemed very forceful and you can hear a break like he killed him.

Untitled.png.6aa027185bb0d7cba636f9516d139372.png

I have kind of always wondered this myself? Castillo says something like “...better yet, good night!” before taking the guy out. The dialogue would tend to lean towards putting the thug unconscious...but, like you said, there’s cracking noises that tend to lean towards breaking the neck, which would more than likely kill the guy.

I actually think Castillo made the ultimate decision to kill the guy in the midst of the situation, to ensure he didn’t wake back up & try to come after them and/or warn his cohorts—which would endanger he & Crockett going in.

In reality, since they’d already captured the guy, this probably wouldn’t be legal...but, it was MV & Castillo. ;) Anything was possible! :dance2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I have kind of always wondered this myself? Castillo says something like “...better yet, good night!” before taking the guy out. The dialogue would tend to lean towards putting the thug unconscious...but, like you said, there’s cracking noises that tend to lean towards breaking the neck, which would more than likely kill the guy.

I actually think Castillo made the ultimate decision to kill the guy in the midst of the situation, to ensure he didn’t wake back up & try to come after them and/or warn his cohorts—which would endanger he & Crockett going in.

In reality, since they’d already captured the guy, this probably wouldn’t be legal...but, it was MV & Castillo. ;) Anything was possible! :dance2:

Thanks for your observation :thumbsup:

Like you I am leaning towards that he killed him. 

I say good riddance to them all. 

What a truly evil, sadistic gang, torturing families, children, old folks, and even raping maids. Maybe this was going through Marty's mind when he did it?

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Thanks for your observation :thumbsup:

Like you I am leaning towards that he killed him. 

I say good riddance to them all. 

What a truly evil, sadistic gang, torturing families, children, old folks, and even raping maids. Maybe this was going through Marty's mind when he did it?

Possibly? I’m sure Castillo and all of them knew how sociopathic & deadly the gang was. However, usually Castillo was by-the-book, and black & white when it came to the law. But, he made a few exceptions along the way...perhaps this was one? It was no longer about capturing & arresting the gang...it was about stopping & putting an end to them any way possible. 

• Like 2

Great observation @ViceFanMan

This is one of the most badass Castillo moments in the entire series. I’ve always considered this a straight up death. It never entered my mind that Castillo had just knocked the guy out. At that point all bets were off, then next thing we see Castillo do is smash open the garden widow and began to shoot. Castillo didn’t even identify himself as a police officer, shoot to kill time. 

• Like 2