St. Vitus Dance

miamijimf

Posted: 21 September 2006 at 10:31am by SCRTDoes anyone here know the location of the harbour where the St. Vitus Dance was moored. Thanks in advance

Posted: 21 September 2006 at 11:12am by airtommy It was docked at Miamarina, which was rebuilt and is today Bayside Marketplace:Check out this location and 11 pages more (ref to defunct site)

Posted: 21 September 2006 at 2:49pm by airtommy By the way, it was occasionally docked elsewhere. El Viejo was partly Miami Beach Marina and partly Watson Island. French Twist was a small marina off Brickell.

Posted: 22 September 2006 at 9:59pm by SOFLAJEREMYI was just watching pay back and noticed something significant to me at least there is a lengthy scene with crockett at his boat after it had been tossed he is on it with tubbs. In the background you can see at several points as the camera pans around that the bayside shops are under construction I had not noticed this before. (new computer screen is paying off) Perhaps this is why they moved the st vitas they had to because there may not have been enough room or just to difficult with the construction going on so they moved. pretty big coincidence that construction is underway and then the boat moves.

Posted: 23 September 2006 at 1:46am by airtommy Sharp eye! I just looked and you're definitely right. The concrete pillars are being built.

• 7 years later...

I was really disappointed that they didn't return Crockett's boat to Miamarina after Bayside construction was completed.  I remember watching Vice in the 1980s and thinking it was so cool to have Crockett living on a boat with the city skyline right behind him.  Watson Island just wasn't the same.

I was so happy when they showed us that familiar camera shot one last time in the series finale "Freefall".  Other than that, I believe the only time the boat was docked at Miamarina in Seasons 3-5 was in "Death In the Lady" and "Love At First Sight".  Am I missing any episodes?

• Like 1

On 2/5/2016 at 5:43 AM, airtommy said:

I was really disappointed that they didn't return Crockett's boat to Miamarina after Bayside construction was completed.  I remember watching Vice in the 1980s and thinking it was so cool to have Crockett living on a boat with the city skyline right behind him.  Watson Island just wasn't the same.

I was so happy when they showed us that familiar camera shot one last time in the series finale "Freefall".  Other than that, I believe the only time the boat was docked at Miamarina in Seasons 3-5 was in "Death In the Lady" and "Love At First Sight".  Am I missing any episodes?

Yes we saw a lot less of the St.Vitus Dance in Seasons 4 -5 . However I recall seeing Miamarina prominently used at the end of Season 4 for "Deliver us from Evil" when Tubbs visited a grieving Crockett and when Crockett was cleaning the St.Vitus Dance in the next scene.

:dance2:

• Like 3

On February 8, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Matt5 said:

I recall seeing Miamarina prominently used at the end of Season 4 for "Deliver us from Evil" when Tubbs visited a grieving Crockett and when Crockett was cleaning the St.Vitus Dance in the next scene.

Yes, good one!  Scanning through those scenes just now, I remembered how much I hate that filter over the top half of the screen.  OK, so we have:

• Death & the Lady
  • Love At First Sight
  • Deliver Us From Evil
  • Freefall
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, airtommy said:

Yes, good one!  Scanning through those scenes just now, I remembered how much I hate that filter over the top half of the screen.  OK, so we have:

• Death & the Lady
  • Love At First Sight
  • Deliver Us From Evil
  • Freefall

A great episode "Deliverus from Evil" - I see what you mean the filter was done to effect a dramatic skyline

:done::dance2:

In "Death & the Lady" and "Love At First Sight", it was night time and the skyline wasn't shown.  "Deliver Us From Evil" and the closing scene of "Freefall" are the only times in S3/4/5 that we get that old S1/2 vibe.

deliver26.jpg

freefall65.jpg

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Even before I was a location junkie, I thought the marina scene in "Whatever Works" had a different feeling to it than the other marina scenes.  I actually thought it had been filmed in a different marina.  In this scene we see a lot of the ugly concrete causeway (bridge to the Port of Miami), which they normally didn't show us.  Watching it now, I notice that they pointedly avoided showing the usual south/southwest camera angle that includes the city skyline in the background:

looking east:   Whatever1.png

looking northeast:   Whatever2.png

looking east:  Whatever3.png

The only time they look in the south/southwest direction, it's a very tight shot on Izzy's face:

Whatever4.png

And then they throw in another wild card by using Dinner Key Marina as a setup shot.  Bizarre!

I wonder why they filmed the scene this way?  

Edited by airtommy

On 6/4/2016 at 0:33 AM, nofretz said:

Maybe so the Daytona could be seen from the boat as its towed away?

Yes I agree - they used the Dinner Key Marina as a set up shot for a number of episodes. I loved that marina:D:D

On June 4, 2016 at 7:33 PM, nofretz said:

Maybe so the Daytona could be seen from the boat as its towed away?

That makes sense for a few of of the final shots.  But whenever they filmed at this marina they normally made a point to arrange SOME shots with the skyline visible and here they didn't.

Consider:

• They filmed 4 scenes in Ft Lauderdale, an extraordinarily rare occurrence.  That's like half the Broward County scenes of the entire series.
  • They did not film in Miami Beach, somewhat unusual.
  • The two houses were way north and way south of Miami.
  • This wasn't a one-off director with his own idea on how to do things.  It was directed by John Nicollela, the producer of the show S1-S2.  He knew the drill.

The next episode "Out Where the Buses Don't Run" shows off the skyline as is tradition, so that rules out any major construction.  Maybe there was something going on in Miami during July 16 - 26, 1985 that made them avoid showing the city and avoid South Beach, like a boat show or dredging the marina?  Or maybe it's just a fluke and I have too much time on my hands.  :)

Frankly, this is the ugliest looking Miamarina scene of the entire series.  It's a shame because the dialogue is great.  It's classic Izzy humor and classic Elvis humor.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...