Episode #68 "Heroes Of The Revolution"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...
Guest neworder

I slated this episode on .org, and I’m going to do it again but slightly more constructively since I annoyed a few people by saying Saundra was **** at singing. I don’t care if she’s a good singer or not, this is Miami Vice not High School Musical and for that reason I naturally dislike this episode because of its high singing content. I don’t like musicals and for me this episode borders on one. One thing I am sure of about Saundra is that she acts as badly as she always does, another negative. Keeping on with the negatives, this episode is supposed to be a Season finale for crying out loud. Why did the Season 3 producers give the Season premiere and Season finale to the weakest of the Vice crew acting wise? It baffles me … Crockett & Tubbs are hardly in it, there isn’t much proper vice style apart from Pedroza’s house, the rest is all very grey and dull and there isn’t an abundance of action. The story surrounding Gina’s family seems inconsistent with what has been mentioned in prior episodes. It’s not a particularly exciting story either. For me there is nothing special about this episode, if you like the singing then yeah I can understand this episode may work for you but I hate musicals, singing on screen and to make matters worse this is the Season finale. I’ve been very negative so far so I’ll mention a few positives this episode has. The scene in the cabbie where Tubbs asks ‘do I look Russian to you’ did make me laugh, Jan Hammer’s score is ok in places and the scene where Castillo has a go at Gina was quite good but then it’s ruined when she tells him about her mother being killed, prompting over the top music from Jan Hammer and over the top acting from Santiago, great stare from EJO though. Despite these few positives I can’t rate this highly, this is supposed to be a Season finale and I didn’t enjoy watching this episode. 3/10Role on Season 4 is all I can say, this second half of Season 3 has really tested me!!!

• Administrators

No doubt a lackluster episode at any point in the season. The fact that it was a season finale didn't bother me cause Vice never really had cliffhanger finales with the exception of season 4. I did enjoy getting a little history on Gina's family and I loved the Jan Hammer score. So much in fact that I begged Dadrian to cover it which he did! You can download it Here It's named "Klaus" (end shameless plug :o)Overall score 5

Guest neworder

Vice never really had cliffhanger finales with the exception of season 4.

Well, Season 2 kind of had one and of course Season 5 was a huge finale, although not so much a cliffhanger. I've read that big season finales were not common place in the 80's, so I suppose Vice got away with it in those days. Today however, not having an epic season finale is criminal!I may have been slightly kinder to this episode if it wasn't a season finale, say maybe a 4 out of 10 but like you said Ferrariman, wherever it was shown it would've been weak.

I gave this episode 6For me, this episode was more of a musical than a regular MV episode. I also gave points accordingly. Higher points than most of you since I'm a huge fan of jazz. I was also pleased to find out that Saundra could sing better than act. A mellow episode, nice before bed. I tend to find myself sleeping during this episode. :)

Um, Uh, well, the highlight for me was the cab ride scene while Tubbs and Crockett were in New York and the scenery of and around Pedroza's home. :sleep::sleep: This episode is an absolute sleeper to me. Nothing worth mentioning and is practically painfull to watch. The last three episodes are like a mudslide, going down hill. Good riddence season three! Three for me...Again...Mike

The Dutch people were very proud that two Dutch big names worked at Miami Vice. Actually it's pitiable; Jeroen Krabbé acted in this episode and Ate de Jong directed "Missing Hours".I'm not too hard on Saundra; you hardly can make something out of nothing. She looks sincere to me and I like her singing. I give this episode a 5.

OK. This is the episode I have watched more than any other besides the Pilot. Gina does a great job of acting, but even better singing. She's also doing a double role as her mother. She looks gorgeous & sings with such accuracy and feeling. Yes, I love Jazz & the band, the audition, the whole cool atmosphere of the Blue Note, appeals to me. Aside from this, the plot is interesting & there are a couple of good action scenes. Also some funny lines from Switek & Tubbs. Even Crockett laughed when Tubbs told the cabbie, "Do I look Russian to you?" Pedrosa's house had some nice lavender lighting, & I liked the neon signs at the Blue Note! I must give this a big 10/10 for pure enjoyment. I still rate it a 10 for Saundra's excellent voice & the cool music! :radio: :thumbsup:P.S. People are always complaining that all the crimes are drug deals, or gun smuggling so here's something really different!

• Like 1

I found season three to be the best season of them all, but this episode as a finale did no justice to it at all for me. I have no choice but to mark it with a1. It had nothing worth any praise at all, and I found it was simply the worst episode of the series.

• 2 weeks later...

My original review 07 September 2007I'm not sure this is a good episode to watch as a season finale, but I do like the episode although it does contradict Gina's back story. I rate it an 8 mainly because everyone is in it, the good song selection and a nice love story from the past catching up to the present and the effect it had on Gina and the two former lovers of her mother.. This story is different than the usual Miami Vice episodes. It opens up in another era and another country. It establishes the relationship between Klaus and Gina's mother early on. He mentions little Gina and of course Gina's mom looks like Gina with a different hair style and blonde hair. The conversation takes place in English between Klaus and Elena but definitely with accents. The club scenes Gato Negro conversation is all in Spanish which also helps depict this is a foreign country also the mention of the revolution also gives us a clue that this was some time in the late 1950's It was interesting to hear Elena (Saundra) sing in Spanish (I think it was Begin the Beguine by Cole Porter?) I found it very believable that this Comandante who was one of Castro's high officers could order French Champaign have a table cleared for him and his party and could also get away with shooting the singer! I found strange that Klaus was yelling you're a dead man and was clearly trying to threaten this high ranked comandante and nothing was ever done except to detain him and prevent him from going after Pedrosa. After we get out of Cuba, we come upon the OCB squad doing a typical day's work: Sweitek doing photo surveillance, Crockett and Tubbs sitting in the Ferrari talking on the radio, Gina and Trudy following Pedrosa. Their interest is usual also: Drug importation and dealing. It starts to take a different twist when Sweitek discovers Klaus watching Pedrosa. I found it interesting that Castillo recognized immediately that Klaus was trained by his movements and the fact that Sweitek hadn't noticed him before then. I got a kick out of Sonny and Rico traveling to NYC (without any of Rico's NYC comments) the follow that car scene. I was also highly amused with the cabbie thinking that Crockett and Tubbs were KGB operatives because they end up at the Cuban Mission. After that information, I almost expected the suicide by cyanide capsule thing. I found the position Gina was in stressful. I mean here she is a cop dedicated to her profession and really believing in what she does, dealing with her mother who remains a mystery and here she meets someone who knew her mother and had held her, Gina, as a baby, and the one guy who is telling her all about her mother is the one guy she's under orders to arrest! It's obvious it bothers her, not only does she not arrest him, but when Sonny and the rest of the OCB gang are joking around before the OCB briefing, she's sitting there quietly. She then follows Castillo into his office and admits that she's seen Herzog and has even talked to him. Castillo pointed out that she didn't arrest him, and then Gina admits to her boss that she couldn't and after Castillo is strict with her and lectures her, she tells him that it was about her mother. When Marty finds that out he allows Gina to take time off to deal with her feelings. I wonder what he thought after Gina ends up shooting Pedrosa at the end. Is this another instance where Gina gets away killing a guy who has caused her personal pain. This time at the end there's that usual shared look with Sonny, but Rico also shares a look with her too, but instead of freezing on the usual shot of that she runs out and looks as Klaus Herzog disappears into the shadows. Gina had told Klaus over and over again that she had to arrest Pedrosa , so Klaus expected her to do so. It is clear that he's surprised and gratified when she shoots him instead after Pedrosa raises his gun and tries to shoot Klaus. It's also evident that Klaus is grateful that the murder has been punished, and Pedrosa has finally paid and he's not getting up from it. I had trouble interpreting Sonny's look: He didn't look happy, but on the other hand he didn't look sad either. I really would have hated to been in Gina's position. I loved the songs in this episode. The one at the beginning in Spanish I loved the rhythms. I've always liked "Some One to Watch Over me" (ever since I saw the Helen Morgan story with Paul Newman) and I've always liked "Stormy Weather" Both songs were appropriate as Gina always seems to be looking for someone to watch over her (usually Sonny but still looking for Mr. Right) Stormy Weather was appropriate because where she was going mentally balancing being a cop to helping Klaus get justice for her mother she was clearly sailing into Stormy Weather. Also her love life was definitely stormy weather. The Jan Hammer music used in this episode was also good and emotional in places. It was a weird way to end the season though. 2/22/2010 - I'm taking an online course work related so I haven't had any free time lately, so I'll try and catch up when the course is over in three weeks. Also the olympics will be over with also.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have some issues with the episode. Firstly, I think that the fact that they used Saundra, and not some other actress to play Gina's mother damaged the sense of realism, and it also looked cheap (that they didn't want to pay the fee for an additional actress). I realise that the whole premise was that Gina looked the spitting image of her mother, and this was why Hertoz used this to his advantage in order to flush out Pedroza. However they still could have made this point whilst still using an actress that looked like Saundra, but wasn't in fact Saundra. You start off watching this episode thinking "Ok right, Cuba 1961... Hey that's Gina... why's she dressed like that?.... what's going on?".Secondly I think that they could have made more of an effort to make Hertzog and Pedrosa look 26 years older. Maybe make their hair white all over or give them a bald wig or something.Thirdly, that Jazz club in Cuba was so obviously Ocean Drive on Miami Beach. You could see it as clear as day outside the club as Pedroza walked in.Fourthly, Ivan is supposed to be such a bad driver. You hear the sound of horns beeping at him, the engine revving up fast, the squeal of tires as he bends, yet if you watch the scene outside through the window, he looks to be doing a steady 25 miles an hour in a straight line.I have to agree that in the same way that there was too much Boxing in "Down for the count part 1", and too much of Mikey freaking out and spouting his obscure poetry in "Everybody's in showbiz", there was too much singing in this episode, and that made it drag on a bit.Positives: There was some good action scenes. I thought Saundra was a pretty good singer actually, and also when she was doing the audition, she looked the best she's ever done. She looked gorgeous.6.5 out of 10.

• 1 month later...
Episode 68: Heroes of the RevolutionThis is a timeless Vice episode, a well acted, well scripted, original finale to a very well done season. Jeroen "Giorgi Koskov from The Living Daylights" Crabbe is perfect, the look into Gina's past is a nice suprise, and Gina's not and it's almost sickly comical a mad cuban getting drunk on Dom Perry before gunning his girlfriend down while hammered, like something off of Homicide: Life on the Street, just a masterpiece of an episode.I score this episode a 10.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Season three ended like it began, with a weak ass Gina centered episode.But she can sing, Jeroen Krabbe was wasted.3/10

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
OK. This is the episode I have watched more than any other besides the Pilot. Gina does a great job of acting' date=' but even better singing. She's also doing a double role as her mother. She looks gorgeous & sings with such accuracy and feeling. Yes, I love Jazz & the band, the audition, the whole cool atmosphere of the Blue Note, appeals to me. Aside from this, the plot is interesting & there are a couple of good action scenes. Also some funny lines from Switek & Tubbs. Even Crockett laughed when Tubbs told the cabbie, "Do I look Russian to you?" Pedrosa's house had some nice lavender lighting, & I liked the neon signs at the Blue Note! I must give this a big 10/10 for pure enjoyment. I still rate it a 10 for Saundra's excellent voice & the cool music! :radio: :thumbsup:P.S. People are always complaining that all the crimes are drug deals, or gun smuggling so here's something really different!
I really liked and agreed with Tony D's review...so I quoted it! I really love this episode and it's one of my favorites of the season! Oddly enough we started the season with Gina...and we end with her. Awesome, and somewhat rare. I only wish that Trudy could have had more episodes about her as well.Saundra Santiago did a superb acting job in this one...as well as proved that she could sing superbly as well! :clap: I love the plot, the past history of how Gina's mother was murdered when she was a baby, and her mother's old lover, Klaus Herzog, finally tracking down the killer, Pedrosa, for revenge 26 years later. This one was a very "deep" and emotional one for Gina...and it was captivating and was a superb way to end the season (as the previous couple episodes were pretty bad: "Viking Bikers" and "Showbiz")! :thumbsup:I love Tubbs' line: "Do I look like a Russian to you?" :) Probably the funniest line out of the whole episode. :p I also love the action scenes--such as the gun fight at the dry cleaners, where Gina and Trudy shoot it out with some of Pedrosa's hitmen. If I'm not mistaken, I believe one of the cars involved in the accident, after Trudy shoots the bad guys car, was Silk's old 1976 Pontiac Gran Prix painted in the "MV" teal color scheme. ;) Silk was played by guest star Wesley Snipes in the episode "Streetwise". They must have still had that old teal Pontiac around after "Streetwise" and "recycled" it to be used in this episode for the shoot out scene.I really liked the scene where Klaus shows up at Gina's apartment and explains who he is, and his past with her mother. But, I really love the scene where Gina explains to Castillo why she has not arrested Herzog yet, and how it ties in with the murder of her mother--beautiful, beautiful scene!! :clap: I also liked the background Jan Hammer songs and colors used with lighting and filming locations. :glossy: Gina and Trudy's clothes and fashion were pretty cool in this one too. :cool: As bizarre as this might sound, I also liked the "vehicle usage" in this...with regular showings of Crockett's Testarossa, Gina & Trudy's silver Cougar, Switek's neon green van, etc...however, we didn't get to see Tubbs' Caddy or Switek's T-Bird. Again, I also loved the action in this episode (as it seemed a little more personal) and I really enjoyed the ending scene...where Klaus and Pedrosa have their gunplay...but ultimately Gina gets to be the one to shoot Pedrosa and avenge her mother's death! :done:However, I do have one question I felt was not really clarified...was Pedrosa Gina's father, or was Klaus, or was it some other guy we never saw or heard about? I know Pedrosa originally was Gina's mother's boyfriend...then when she discovered how psychotic he was she dumped him and got with Klaus. But, neither man was ever really stated or "hinted" at as being Gina's father...so I didn't know?Anyway, this is just a wonderful, captivating, and superb episode & season finale! The plot, acting, singing, colors, music, cars, fashion, etc...were all there! I gave this a 10!! :thumbsup:
  • Like 1

beautiful, beautiful scene!! :clap: I also liked the background Jan Hammer songs and colors used with lighting and filming locations. :glossy: Gina and Trudy's clothes and fashion were pretty cool in this one too. :cool: As bizarre as this might sound, I also liked the "vehicle usage" in this...with regular showings of Crockett's Testarossa, Gina & Trudy's silver Cougar, Switek's neon green van, etc...however, we didn't get to see Tubbs' Caddy or Switek's T-Bird. Again, I also loved the action in this episode (as it seemed a little more personal) and I really enjoyed the ending scene...where Klaus and Pedrosa have their gunplay...but ultimately Gina gets to be the one to shoot Pedrosa and avenge her mother's death! :done:However, I do have one question I felt was not really clarified...was Pedrosa Gina's father, or was Klaus, or was it some other guy we never saw or heard about? I know Pedrosa originally was Gina's mother's boyfriend...then when she discovered how psychotic he was she dumped him and got with Klaus. But, neither man was ever really stated or "hinted" at as being Gina's father...so I didn't know?Anyway, this is just a wonderful, captivating, and superb episode & season finale! The plot, acting, singing, colors, music, cars, fashion, etc...were all there! I gave this a 10!! :thumbsup:

I agree with both of you, Tony D and ViceFanMan. While I gave it an 8 rather than a 10, I find it to be a highly enjoyable episode. In looking at the ratings, this one is all over the place. It has ratings almost equally distributed from 1-10! I wonder how unusual that is? Now I'm tempted to go one by one through the episodes and look at the ratings bargraphs more closely...when I get the time.

I agree with both of you' date=' Tony D and ViceFanMan. While I gave it an 8 rather than a 10, I find it to be a highly enjoyable episode. In looking at the ratings, this one is all over the place. It has ratings almost equally distributed from 1-10! I wonder how unusual that is? Now I'm tempted to go one by one through the episodes and look at the ratings bargraphs more closely...when I get the time.[/quote']Yes...truly superb and enjoyable episode! :clap: There are a few episodes that will have ratings all over the charts, so-to-speak, this just happens to be one of them. I usually look at the first several reviews just to see what others originally thought, when doing a review/rating. But, regardless of what others put...I always state and rate exactly how I view the episode. ;) I may agree with several other members...I may not. But, that's what's fun about it...we all get to state how we like or dislike each episode. :cool:

• 1 month later...

What the hell where they thinking when they made this?After the last 2 episodes have been what could arguably be the lowest point vice has reached so far, Vice quizzically decides to focus it's S3 finale on the least talented person in the whole cast. Gina! and also the plot is there as an excuse for saundra to sing jazz songs for the whole ep.Yay..It's a good job she's hawt

What the hell where they thinking when they made this?After the last 2 episodes have been what could arguably be the lowest point vice has reached so far' date=' Vice quizzically decides to focus it's S3 finale on the least talented person in the whole cast. Gina! and also the plot is there as an excuse for saundra to sing jazz songs for the whole ep.Yay..It's a good job she's hawt[/quote']I'm sorry...but I have to totally disagree with you on this one! ;) I do not think Gina is the least talented in the cast. Out of respect for the whole cast I will not state who I think that is...but I will state that it's NOT Gina (Saundra)! I thought her acting was superb and enjoyable...as well as her singing, and who's complaining because she's hot too? Not me! :happy: I wish they'd of done more episodes that revolved around her, or Trudy. I have to stick with my original review and rating:
I really love this episode and it's one of my favorites of the season! Oddly enough we started the season with Gina...and we end with her. Awesome' date=' and somewhat rare. I only wish that Trudy could have had more episodes about her as well.Saundra Santiago did a superb acting job in this one...as well as proved that she could sing superbly as well! :clap: I love the plot, the past history of how Gina's mother was murdered when she was a baby, and her mother's old lover, Klaus Herzog, finally tracking down the killer, Pedrosa, for revenge 26 years later. This one was a very "deep" and emotional one for Gina...and it was captivating and was a superb way to end the season (as the previous couple episodes were pretty bad: "Viking Bikers" and "Showbiz")! :thumbsup:I love Tubbs' line: "Do I look like a Russian to you?" :) Probably the funniest line out of the whole episode. :p I also love the action scenes--such as the gun fight at the dry cleaners, where Gina and Trudy shoot it out with some of Pedrosa's hitmen. If I'm not mistaken, I believe one of the cars involved in the accident, after Trudy shoots the bad guys car, was Silk's old 1976 Pontiac Gran Prix painted in the "MV" teal color scheme. ;) Silk was played by guest star Wesley Snipes in the episode "Streetwise". They must have still had that old teal Pontiac around after "Streetwise" and "recycled" it to be used in this episode for the shoot out scene.I really liked the scene where Klaus shows up at Gina's apartment and explains who he is, and his past with her mother. But, I really love the scene where Gina explains to Castillo why she has not arrested Herzog yet, and how it ties in with the murder of her mother--[b']beautiful, beautiful scene!! :clap: I also liked the background Jan Hammer songs and colors used with lighting and filming locations. :glossy: Gina and Trudy's clothes and fashion were pretty cool in this one too. :cool: As bizarre as this might sound, I also liked the "vehicle usage" in this...with regular showings of Crockett's Testarossa, Gina & Trudy's silver Cougar, Switek's neon green van, etc...however, we didn't get to see Tubbs' Caddy or Switek's T-Bird. Again, I also loved the action in this episode (as it seemed a little more personal) and I really enjoyed the ending scene...where Klaus and Pedrosa have their gunplay...but ultimately Gina gets to be the one to shoot Pedrosa and avenge her mother's death! :done:However, I do have one question I felt was not really clarified...was Pedrosa Gina's father, or was Klaus, or was it some other guy we never saw or heard about? I know Pedrosa originally was Gina's mother's boyfriend...then when she discovered how psychotic he was she dumped him and got with Klaus. But, neither man was ever really stated or "hinted" at as being Gina's father...so I didn't know?Anyway, this is just a wonderful, captivating, and superb episode & season finale! The plot, acting, singing, colors, music, cars, fashion, etc...were all there! I gave this a 10!! :thumbsup: