Episode #68 "Heroes Of The Revolution"

Ferrariman

I'm sorry...but I have to totally disagree with you on this one! ;) I do not think Gina is the least talented in the cast. Out of respect for the whole cast I will not state who I think that is...but I will state that it's NOT Gina (Saundra)! I thought her acting was superb and enjoyable...as well as her singing' date=' and who's complaining because she's hot too? Not me! :happy: I wish they'd of done more episodes that revolved around her, or Trudy. I have to stick with my original review and rating:[/quote']Nah Gina gets a fair share of episodes and most of them suck.But yeh Trudy deserved more, she was always good in bit parts

Nah Gina gets a fair share of episodes and most of them suck.But yeh Trudy deserved more' date=' she was always good in bit parts[/quote']Gina does get a few more than Trudy...but I think most, if not all, are awesome! :thumbsup: I love Saundra Santiago and she helped "make" that show, as did Olivia Brown! It wasn't all just Crockett and Tubbs. ;) From what I've read before when researching the show, Saundra was the first cast member hired.
  • Like 1

Gina does get a few more than Trudy...but I think most' date=' if not all, are awesome! :thumbsup: I love Saundra Santiago and she helped "make" that show, as did Olivia Brown! It wasn't all just Crockett and Tubbs. ;) From what I've read before when researching the show, Saundra was the first cast member hired.[/quote']I don't mind her in Bought and Paid for. That's her best episode.But the two Gina episodes that bookend S3 are not very strong considering.I can see why people were disappointed by the changes in S3, You wait all summer to watch your favourite show and it's turned from Vice to Gina locking lips with Liam Neeson. I'd have been pissed off:)

I don't mind her in Bought and Paid for. That's her best episode.But the two Gina episodes that bookend S3 are not very strong considering.I can see why people were disappointed by the changes in S3' date=' You wait all summer to watch your favourite show and it's turned from Vice to Gina locking lips with Liam Neeson. I'd have been pissed off:)[/quote']Although he is a good actor, I'm not a huge Liam Neeson fan. ;) But, that part really isn't that big of a deal to me because he was only in that one episode (as you knew he was gonna get taken down at the end). If they had tried to have him live and show up later, I might have thought that was somewhat goofy.But, I still really like both of Gina's season 3 episodes...this one and "When Irish Eyes Are Crying"! I liked the plots, Saundra, action, colors, etc... Between the two this one's my favorite, but neither piss me off at all! :D
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just rewatched it, hoping that my opinion might change.But no, it still ranks as a very poor ep in my book - and certainly the worst episode of the season.I don't even want to go into detailes - the plot of using Gina singing in order to lure Pedrosa into a trap ...just stupid. BTW, did anybody get a feeling that the camerawork and the editing were inexclusably poor in this episode? I couldn't even believe my eyes - a lot of scenes shot from a single angle, and to top it off most scenes just consist of closeups.How boring.It's almost like they were in a hurry to go on vacation.

310 (Jan Hammer's score was terrific)

Edited by Viceguy
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Was it ever explained (not just in this episode, but anywhere in the series) how Gina got her last name, Calabrese, when her mother's last name (which I'm assuming Gina's mother and father were married before the Cuban Revolution) was Obergon?  Was it her aunt's last name so that she could more easily convince the U.S. authorities and others that Gina was her daughter when she and Gina fled Cuba and arrived in the U.S.?

Edited by Vice Immersion

• 1 year later...

they did not explain that, or mention her brother's and sister's she talked about in When Irish Eyes Are Crying. i assume they might have been her aunt's, and that's where the name change came in.

this episode actually grew on me too. the cuban-miami connection made sense, and it was nice to have Gina with another episode. I think the last few episodes of season three are not great, but if they were not all bunched together it would be less noticeable. Every episode can't be the same, and at least it was not silly or gloomy like what was to come in the following season.

• Like 2

yes good points it was nice to have a Gina episode - as the 3rd Season was much more Crockett individually and C&T episodes - so this was a treat

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Honestly I think this is an improvement over the last few episodes.

The cinematography finally has some life to it.

Saundra Santiago has a great um voice.

Love Krabbe in this. Also liked him in The Living Daylights, which is one of my favorites. Kind of similar characters.

The plot is a little silly.

Good music and scenery.

7/10

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Good but wasn't a great choice for season finale. Great shootout and locations. Storyline is decent. Overall 7/10

• 2 months later...

i love that episode. because it's part of Miami vice.. lol. seriously i really like the Cuban background of Gina. which is essential IMO to the series. but i have two questions regarding that episode. 1st, is Gina singing real, or play back. also isn't that Annie Golden there (Tommy, the high end cars mechanics)Screenshot_7.thumb.jpg.58a4237d8ba05c36dbc99a6f581a3131.jpg

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jpm1 said:

i love that episode. because it's part of Miami vice.. lol. seriously i really like the Cuban background of Gina. which is essential IMO to the series. but i have two questions regarding that episode. 1st, is Gina singing real, or play back. also isn't that Annie Golden there (Tommy, the high end cars mechanics)Screenshot_7.thumb.jpg.58a4237d8ba05c36dbc99a6f581a3131.jpg

Read this post on page 1 for all the details it's pretty interesting. But to make it short, it's playback of Saundra's real singing voice. No that's not Tommy. She was featured in "The Prodigal son" though.  

Edited by summer84
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jpm1 said:

ok but why do you post a Tubbs themed thread

It was related to your question. Yes it was supposed to be about Tubbs, :) but other members including myself began talking about the other Vice team characters being under-appreciated as well. Did you see the post regarding Gina's singing also related to this episode?

Edited by summer84

post-5689-0-03414100-1432509652_thumb.jpg

Thought I would add this here as well. Gina in the recording studio. This article regarding Gina's singing and how/why the episode came about is also in the Tubbs unappreciated thread, which I posted above. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2018 at 3:26 AM, summer84 said:

post-5689-0-03414100-1432509652_thumb.jpg

Thought I would add this here as well. Gina in the recording studio. This article regarding Gina's singing and how/why the episode came about is also in the Tubbs unappreciated thread, which I posted above. 

Never seen this before - great stuff and thankyou for posting.:cheers:

• Like 2

North Miami studio more than likely Criteria where they shot parts of Season 4s “Like a Hurricane” and where Don recorded his 1986 album “Heartbeat”, as well as where the Bee Gees recorded.:hippie:

Edited by Matt5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matt5 said:

North Miami studio more than likely Criteria where they shot parts of Season 4s “Like a Hurricane” and where Don recorded his 1986 album “Heartbeat”, as well as where the Bee Gees recorded.:hippie:

It says in the article, that Saundra recorded the songs in a North Miami studio. Thanks for the other info, didn't know that! :thumbsup:

Edited by summer84

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 11:34 PM, summer84 said:

It says in the article, that Saundra recorded the songs in a North Miami studio. Thanks for the other info, didn't know that! :thumbsup:

Anytime Summer - I was at Criteria in North Miami last year.:hippie:

7 hours ago, Remington said:

Watched a few bits of this one earlier. Saundra Santiago has a beautiful voice.

It’s a great episode - so different for Miami Vice - really enjoyed the spotlight being on Saundra Santiago for a change here.:hippie:

• 1 month later...

I actually enjoyed the episode but upon hearing others opinions and considering thoughts I had (singing to lure the ex-Castro dude? He will shoot cause she looks like her mom Really?), perhaps this is a weak one. I dunno, a rewatch is in order I suppose.

Edited by Rattlehead