Episode #67 "Everybody's In Showbiz"

Ferrariman

Guest myonlyvice

I really like the early S3 episodes - the way they are shot with the testarossa & Crocketts clothes - excellent :thumbsup::D

I've heard you mention several times how much you like Crockett's S3 wardrobe. I'm curious which outfits in particular you dig. Can you supply some pics?

One of the all-time worst episodes. Right down there with those you mentioned' date=' plus Miracle Man, Hell Hath No Fury, Leap of Faith, etc.[/quote']Yeah, I'm not a fan of "Miracle Man" or "Leap of Faith" (which was actually a Pilot for a possible spin-off series) either. But, I love "Hell Hath No Fury"!! One of my favorites of season 4. :thumbsup:
Let's not be too hard on S3 as a whole. I miss the pastels' date=' Dayton and old haircut as much an anyone, but S3 has some of the best episodes of the entire series run, and quite a few that are very strong overall. Not to the degree of S1 and S2, of course, in which very nearly every ep is a classic, but still, "El Viejo," "Lend me an Ear," "By Hooker by Crook" "The Savage," "Stone's War," "Streetwise" and "Shadow in the Dark" are nothing to sneeze at.[/quote']Very well said! :clap: I actually like the Testarossa better than the Daytona Spyder...but I did miss the pastel clothes, Crockett's tortoise shell Wayfarers, and his original haircut. But, there was still plenty of pastels in and on the buildings and sets. I agree, there are some of the series' most superb episodes in season 3! I don't care for "Stone's War"...but all the others you mentioned are awesome!! :clap:
Love Season 3 - some of the early S3 episodes have some of the best cinematography and clothes of the entire series run ( "Stone's War"' date=' "Walk Alone" and "Good Collar" ) :D:thumbsup:[/quote']Agree...I actually like Gina and Trudy's clothes in this season! :glossy: They seemed more classy and hot! :happy:

I've heard you mention several times how much you like Crockett's S3 wardrobe. I'm curious which outfits in particular you dig. Can you supply some pics?

I just think the clothes look so more cool and updated - like the Navy Suit and teal t shirt Crockett wore in "Stones War" and the Navy blazer/ grey trousers also in "Stones War" - the Navy / grey dark jackets look really updated . :D
  • Like 1

Guest myonlyvice
I just think the clothes look so more cool and updated - like the Navy Suit and teal t shirt Crockett wore in "Stones War" and the Navy blazer/ grey trousers also in "Stones War" - the Navy / grey dark jackets look really updated . :D
Don't you find that the color palette for most of season three is representative of what you could find people wearing anyplace in the country? On the other hand' date=' the look from seasons 1&2 [i']are Miami. Not trying to be argumentative here but I actually find the season 1&2 look to be timeless, regardless of your geography. Linen and pastels are still quite popular. The clothes of season three were popular at the time they were worn but they went out of style just as quickly as they came into style. Sonny's clothes and hair were "updated" for 1987 but I would hardly call Sonny's season three wardrobe updated by today's standards. I'm referring to the style of clothing, like the cut of fabric and the way they fit, not the colors. The colors are a dime a dozen and there will always be takers for grey and navy and black, etc. because these colors are "safe" and require no cojones to wear. What I mean is they make zero statement. There's nothing definitive about them. (I'm not saying it's a knock on somebody's masculinity to wear navy! :) It's just that they're very, very mainstream.)

are Miami. Not trying to be argumentative here but I actually find the season 1&2 look to be timeless, regardless of your geography. Linen and pastels are still quite popular. The clothes of season three were popular at the time they were worn but they went out of style just as quickly as they came into style. Sonny's clothes and hair were "updated" for 1987 but I would hardly call Sonny's season three wardrobe updated by today's standards. I'm referring to the style of clothing, like the cut of fabric and the way they fit, not the colors. The colors are a dime a dozen and there will always be takers for grey and navy and black, etc. because these colors are "safe" and require no cojones to wear. What I mean is they make zero statement. There's nothing definitive about them. (I'm not saying it's a knock on somebody's masculinity to wear navy! :) It's just that they're very, very mainstream.)

I agree for the most part. Navy, black, and grey are mainstream colors that some people will always wear--and you can find them anywhere & everywhere. In my opinion, they are very boring, lifeless, "dead", and drab colors...I don't like them and I rarely wear any of those colors. :sick: However, the colors of the first 2 seasons (some of season 3) of "MV" are superb...the pastels really say something and speak volumes of style, character, and full of life! :thumbsup:The pastels are all back in style right now...and I see tons of teals, aquas, pinks, corals, soft yellows/ greens/purples, etc...all over the place. I wear a lot of pastels and am loving the 80's style all over again! :DAnd, it is no knock on my masculinity...I wear what I like, and if someone doesn't like it then they can go back to their high school locker room. :p Besides, you know what they say, real men wear pink. :)Any and every show has had the "blah", no-notice colors...the pastels and even the neons is what made "MV" innovative and groundbreaking...no show had ever had those colors in the fashion before! The last couple seasons of "Vice" faded out the pastels...therefore faded out some of the popularity and trademarks of the show.

Guest myonlyvice

The pastels are all back in style right now...and I see tons of teals, aquas, pinks, corals, soft yellows/ greens/purples, etc...all over the place. I wear a lot of pastels and am loving the 80's style all over again! :DAnd, it is no knock on my masculinity...I wear what I like, and if someone doesn't like it then they can go back to their high school locker room. :p Besides, you know what they say, real men wear pink. :)Any and every show has had the "blah", no-notice colors...the pastels and even the neons is what made "MV" innovative and groundbreaking...no show had ever had those colors in the fashion before! The last couple seasons of "Vice" faded out the pastels...therefore faded out some of the popularity and trademarks of the show.

I'm with you. I wear all the colors you mentioned on a regular basis, including all shades of pink. Actually I've built up a seasons 1&2-inspired wardrobe that I've become quite proud of. I'm always looking to expand it. All I do during the fall and winter is dream of spring and summer so I can start wearing "real" clothes. I hate winter clothes! Even in the winter I stay away from drab colors though. And I agree that it takes a real man to do it. It takes confidence and swagger to wear those seasons 1&2 styles properly and I love how it makes me feel. I'm never ostentatious about it because that's just not my personality or my style. I don't crave attention. I just believe in what I'm doing. My reference to "a knock on masculinity" was defending those who choose to play it safe by sticking with drab colors. I'm not trying to imply they have confidence issues or anything of the sort. Those colors are just very traditional in most circles and the majority of people will opt to play it safe. But when you see somebody rocking the linen and pastels and it's not just a retarded costume, that's an individual who is sure of himself.I have a personal saying "Life is too short to wear black." and I live by it. I despise it and I fail to comprehend its popularity. I view black as a concept more than a color. It literally is the absence of light, nothingness, a vacuum so to speak. My advice is if you don't want to commit to a color then wear white. It's so much more pleasant. Leave the black for Navy SEALs, Goths, and funerals. I'll make an obvious exception for Sonny's Ferrari which somehow works in spite of its color. I couldn't stand it when Sonny occasionally wore black t-shirts in Season 2. What an opportunity wasted. Believe it or not I even avoid red because of Vice! :)

I'm with you. I wear all the colors you mentioned on a regular basis' date=' including all shades of pink. Actually I've built up a seasons 1&2-inspired wardrobe that I've become quite proud of. I'm always looking to expand it. All I do during the fall and winter is dream of spring and summer so I can start wearing "real" clothes. I hate winter clothes! Even in the winter I stay away from drab colors though. And I agree that it takes a real man to do it. It takes confidence and swagger to wear those seasons 1&2 styles properly and I love how it makes me feel. I'm never ostentatious about it because that's just not my personality or my style. I don't crave attention. I just believe in what I'm doing. My reference to "a knock on masculinity" was defending those who choose to play it safe by sticking with drab colors. I'm not trying to imply they have confidence issues or anything of the sort. Those colors are just very traditional in most circles and the majority of people will opt to play it safe. But when you see somebody rocking the linen and pastels and it's not just a retarded costume, that's an individual who is sure of himself.I have a personal saying "Life is too short to wear black." and I live by it. I despise it and I fail to comprehend its popularity. I view black as a concept more than a color. It literally is the absence of light, nothingness, a vacuum so to speak. My advice is if you don't want to commit to a color then wear white. It's so much more pleasant. Leave the black for Navy SEALs, Goths, and funerals. I'll make an obvious exception for Sonny's Ferrari which somehow works in spite of its color. I couldn't stand it when Sonny occasionally wore black t-shirts in Season 2. What an opportunity wasted. Believe it or not I even avoid red because of Vice! :)[/quote']You are so much like me...it's scary! :eek: LOL! :) I have exactly the same feelings and thoughts towards black that I could not state it any better! I have VERY few black clothes (I do have a pair of black dress shoes that during winter I will wear to church) and I too during the winter try to wear as much long-sleeved color as possible. I long for spring and summer and can't wait to dive back into my pastels and I also have lots of Hawaiian shirts. :D I too have lots of different shades of pink as well as pastel teals, aquas, yellow, green, etc...My job actually allows me to wear a lot of this wardrobe, and I work with troubled kids. So, the whole suit and tie thing is out...which suits (pun intended :p ) me just fine. I am not the suit and tie type! I'm much more comfortable in a colorful shirt and jeans (cooler temps) or even nice cargo/khaki shorts (summer). I don't have linen jackets...although I'd love to get a couple, again for church, or going out with girlfriend/friends, etc... I do wear plenty of pastels though, and have a couple pairs of tortoise shell Wayfarer sunglasses...as well as a black pair.I don't mind some black cars though...such as Crockett's Daytona Spyder. Some Camaros, Corvettes, and even Chryslers look cool in black. I have a 2004 Chrysler 300 that's black with tan leather interior, and I like it. But, Tubbs' aqua colored Caddy was awesome! :glossy: However...as for red...it's my favorite color! :) Now, I realize that red didn't go for "MV", and that's cool. Their colors were superb regardless! :thumbsup: But, I like tropical of all kinds...and Hawaii has plenty of it. So, I do have a couple red Hawaiian shirts, as well as a couple others. I also have a red 1996 Camaro Z28 with T-Tops, black leather interior, electric everything, in for the most part mint condition. It's my "baby". ;)Colors = life, character, and style to me. Black, gray, navy, and/or dark colors to me are like you said lack of color, life, and are "soul-less". Little "bits" of them can be mixed in as long as you have actual colors as the "majority" of whatever it is. :done:

Guest myonlyvice

intended :p ) me just fine. I am not the suit and tie type! I'm much more comfortable in a colorful shirt and jeans (cooler temps) or even nice cargo/khaki shorts (summer). I don't have linen jackets...although I'd love to get a couple, again for church, or going out with girlfriend/friends, etc... I do wear plenty of pastels though, and have a couple pairs of tortoise shell Wayfarer sunglasses...as well as a black pair.I don't mind some black cars though...such as Crockett's Daytona Spyder. Some Camaros, Corvettes, and even Chryslers look cool in black. I have a 2004 Chrysler 300 that's black with tan leather interior, and I like it. But, Tubbs' aqua colored Caddy was awesome! :glossy: However...as for red...it's my favorite color! :) Now, I realize that red didn't go for "MV", and that's cool. Their colors were superb regardless! :thumbsup: But, I like tropical of all kinds...and Hawaii has plenty of it. So, I do have a couple red Hawaiian shirts, as well as a couple others. I also have a red 1996 Camaro Z28 with T-Tops, black leather interior, electric everything, in for the most part mint condition. It's my "baby". ;)Colors = life, character, and style to me. Black, gray, navy, and/or dark colors to me are like you said lack of color, life, and are "soul-less". Little "bits" of them can be mixed in as long as you have actual colors as the "majority" of whatever it is. :done:

Those are a couple of sweet rides you have, pal. And I would never say anything intentionally to insult your baby. :)I have a baby myself, but a bit more utilitarian: a '08 F150. It's white, as I'm sure you could imagine. :D If they made diapers big enough to put on a full size truck you better believe mine would be in one 365 days a year. Whenever I trade it in, somebody is going to get a peach because this truck looks and drives as well as it did when I got it new, thanks to all my luvin'. As far as red goes, in the interest of full disclosure, I am a rabid Alabama fan. Alabama as you probably already know is the Crimson Tide and crimson is of course a variety of red. Every Saturday in the fall you can count on me covering myself in crimson and white. Roll Tide Roll.You should look into getting a linen suit. You'll love it. I wear linen and pastels to church every Sunday from April to August. It's the greatest time of year. As an instructor at a university, I too have a job that allows me to wear my Vice garb to work as often as I wish, and I do.

Those are a couple of sweet rides you have' date=' pal. And I would never say anything intentionally to insult your baby. :)I have a baby myself, but a bit more utilitarian: a '08 F150. It's white, as I'm sure you could imagine. :D If they made diapers big enough to put on a full size truck you better believe mine would be in one 365 days a year. Whenever I trade it in, somebody is going to get a peach because this truck looks and drives as well as it did when I got it new, thanks to all my luvin'. As far as red goes, in the interest of full disclosure, I am a rabid Alabama fan. Alabama as you probably already know is the Crimson Tide and crimson is of course a variety of red. Every Saturday in the fall you can count on me covering myself in crimson and white. Roll Tide Roll.You should look into getting a linen suit. You'll love it. I wear linen and pastels to church every Sunday from April to August. It's the greatest time of year. As an instructor at a university, I too have a job that allows me to wear my Vice garb to work as often as I wish, and I do.[/quote']Awesome about your truck...I know what you mean. I never plan to sell my Camaro but it still runs, drives, looks almost like it did when I first got it. I got it in '99, but there was only one previous owner and in the 3 years he had it, he only drove it once in a while--as it was mint and only had 40,000 miles on it when I got it. :D I've tried my best to keep it that way ever since. I might look into getting a linen jacket...depending on how much they cost. ;) But, it would be fun to wear one along with a pastel shirt once in a while. No offense about the color "red". :) I understand that it did not go along with the whole "MV" color scheme. But, I still love it and it works with other things...including in crimson! :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

You can definately see the quality of the writing and guest star acting go down with the last two episodes - "Viking Bikers" and this one . Saying that quite enjoyable :D  :fireworks:

• 7 months later...

This is a dire episode. I have to hand it to Season 4, at least when it was bad it was entertainingly bad, this episode was just plain awful. Let’s start with the one positive; there is a good shootout towards the end. That’s it. The rest of this episode is so bad, awful story, over the top acting, Mikey is a dick head, Crockett seems to have gone insane, there isn’t any vice style, Jan Hammer’s music is recycled AGAIN. As much as I love the first half of Season 3, the second half is consistently boring or awful (bar a few). Atleast in Season 4 you’d have one amazing episode, then a **** one, then an amazing one. I hate this episode, can’t believe I gave it 4/10 on .org; this gets 2/10 now, therefore placing it nicely in my bottom 5 episodes of the whole series.

:sick::sick: :sick::sick:2/10

+1 on these reviews as to the Showbiz ep. Never understood what this story about a poet/playwright was doing in a Vice episode. And the acting re. the Mikey character was way over the top, almost to the point of silliness, imo.  2/10

• 2 years later...

Just watched this one again for the first time in a long while (probably twenty years). I appreciate what they were trying to do, but it does come up flat and boring, although still better than 90% of season 5. Still, I appreciate an episode that gave Switek a little more to do. 

One thing I noticed, when Tubbs and Crockett are talking in the office and Crockett starts speaking fondly of Mikey's success, Tubbs reminds him: "Once a junkie, always a junkie". Crockett reacts negatively and Tubbs seems to regret saying that, likely because he just reminded Crockett of Theresa. At least I like to think the writers and the actors decided to toss in that little piece of continuity. 

There are three good things about this episode. The opening with Tibbs whistling, the line about Elvis impersonators, and the scenery. 

Other than that, I cant justify this episodes existence.

2/10

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

And all of a sudden Crockett knows poetry?

LOL!! That's hilarious! Thanks for the laugh, RedDragon!! 

Didn't like this episode much, for the same reasons you mentioned, (beside Crockett's "poetry")!!! :)

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I had only seen this episode once before, so I didn't remember hardly anything.  I now know why, as I just watched it my second time.  Whew...only reason I made it thru was it was playing during my workout.  Nothing very memorable except some good scenery and a super annoying guy named Mikey.

• 4 months later...

What I never understood in this episode was why did Mikey rob a dealer, demanding cash when he could make a large sum of money threw his poetry.

I am sure  there is a scene with his agent saying that he could make $200.000 per year.

9 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

What I never understood in this episode was why did Mikey rob a dealer, demanding cash when he could make a large sum of money threw his poetry.

I am sure  there is a scene with his agent saying that he could make $200.000 per year.

I think Crockett summed it up when he said something like “how could you be so sensitive, and be such an idiot about Gallego?”

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Mikey was an excon and had several arrests in the past, he just couldn't let go of his criminal ways. It was still a part of his character/personality. 

• Like 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb summer84:

Mikey was an excon and had several arrests in the past, he just couldn't let go of his criminal ways. It was still a part of his character/personality. 

Well said. Clinically speaking, he was suffering from „borderline Syndrom“ and he was a druggie too. No good combo!

• Thanks 1

Fair point, very plausible @summer84

I like Michael Carmine but I don't think he suited this role, he couldn't pull it off. Some of his poetic speeches were unbearable to watch.

Edited by RedDragon86

8 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Fair point, very plausible @summer84

I like Michael Carmine but I don't think he suited this role, he couldn't pull it off. Some of his poetic speeches were unbearable to watch.

I didn't personally feel, he was unsuitable for the role, as he played a similar character in "Nobody Lives Forever," but I do agree, that certain scenes were unpleasant to watch, where the acting could have been better. Especially the scene where he goes into his own presentation of Elvis was badly carried out and went on to long, where I felt like skipping it. He was maybe like the adult version of the punk, he played in "Nobody Lives Forever." I really liked the caring side Crockett shows and empathy for Mikey in this episode.

Edited by summer84

13 hours ago, summer84 said:

I didn't personally feel, he was unsuitable for the role, as he played a similar character in "Nobody Lives Forever," but I do agree, that certain scenes were unpleasant to watch, where the acting could have been better. Especially the scene where he goes into his own presentation of Elvis was badly carried out and went on to long, where I felt like skipping it. He was maybe like the adult version of the punk, he played in "Nobody Lives Forever." I really liked the caring side Crockett shows and empathy for Mikey in this episode.

This episode seemed hastily put together in production to me somehow - maybe it was just because it seemed a tense episode , fast moving but Hammer’s score was pretty tense and as well as the acting from Mikey.

It didn't make sense to me, how Crockett almost instantly knew it was Mikey, anyone could've been behind that disguise/masks and bought them.

Edited by summer84

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

It didn't make sense to me, how Crockett almost instantly knew it was Mikey, anyone could've been behind that disguise/masks and bought them.

I thought Gina and Trudy ran down the masks with the funny guy at the gag shop. 

• Like 1