Episode #67 "Everybody's In Showbiz"

Ferrariman

I can certainly see why a lot of people don't like this episode. I disliked certain scenes as they dragged a little, but overall I like it.

Jan's somber cue in the stabbing scene and in the scene when Sonny says "When you're dead, you're dead Mikey" I found very powerful.

Mikey's struggle with his demons I found sad to watch. An obviously gifted poet crippled by his vices. His screaming poem when handcuffed with Jan's Maze music worked really well.

A later line "My soul is slogging through oatmeal" I found heartbreaking.

I've known similar situations in real life. I also understand Sonny's desire to strip Mikey's excesses and let his talent shine. It is a common thought when you see somone you care about lost in their own darkness.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, fakespyder said:

Jan's somber cue in the stabbing scene and in the scene when Sonny says "When you're dead, you're dead Mikey" I found very powerful.

I found that line very eerie given Michael Carmine died just two years later. A great performance from him. Carmine went on to star in an episode of Crime Story aswell but his performance here is the stand out. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I see this episode as a little "too progressive" for my taste. 

Mocking Elvis, glorifying theater, etc

Even showing Crockett as an "artsy" person, when he is the exactly opposite (Football in HS, then war, then cop).

It's like the person who wrote this ep wanted to make a statement instead of just writing a Miami Vice episode.

I don't want to go into politics but...

Anyway, I liked the ending somewhat.

4/10

• Like 3

I love this ep. Love almost everything about it. Especially the Trilogy fron Chris DeBurgh and the ending is also really good. We got some shots also of the DeTomaso Pantera Rossa Replica at the and where DJ performs a U turn and Jan Hammer does an excellent job with the score as well :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kalci said:

I love this ep. Love almost everything about it. Especially the Trilogy fron Chris DeBurgh and the ending is also really good. We got some shots also of the DeTomaso Pantera Rossa Replica at the and where DJ performs a U turn and Jan Hammer does an excellent job with the score as well :)

Glad to see this. I always enjoy this one, but many others do not. 

• Like 3

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Sebax:

It's like the person who wrote this ep wanted to make a statement instead of just writing a Miami Vice episode.

You are very close to reality with your assumption. This episode is based on a script by drama and theater writer Reynaldo Povod about a crooked theater director (as far as I know he had Michael Carmine in mind who ended up playing it on TV) that was adapted by David Burke and Dennis Cooper to become a VICE episode. And that might be indeed the key weakness of this episode.

BTW Povod was a protege of Miguel Pinero in NYC. Pinero played Calderone and wrote the Smuggler´s blues episode.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely love the dynamic of this part. Love how Tubbs indirectly refers to that he has a different vision about the whole situation and take examples what  person type they are facing. And doing so instead being rude to him directly he lets Sonny realize how blind/biased he was.

As I said I love  the job Jan Hammers did with this part also. He was almost every time able to up the game !

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 2:41 PM, Sebax said:

Yes it was a statement imo. Tom makes some great points. Here’s an analysis video I did on this episode that gives more background. I get it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 11:41 PM, Sebax said:

I see this episode as a little "too progressive" for my taste. 

Mocking Elvis, glorifying theater, etc

Even showing Crockett as an "artsy" person, when he is the exactly opposite (Football in HS, then war, then cop).

I don't want to go into politics but...

Anyway, I liked the ending somewhat.

4/10

This was kind of my first reaction when I saw it all those years ago.

Invariably, when a show covers the artistic scene, they are going to rub against progressive views and even some ridicule of more popular culture. I'm not sure he was actually ridiculing Elvis. I really didn't understand that scene.

Sonny was definitely not the artsy type. But the fact that a guy he busted went on and made something of himself (inviting Sonny to a play) must have had an effect on a cop who usually sees nothing but losers, criminals and victims in a revolving door of offenses.

I think that's why Sonny tried to help Mikey but also called out his bs. Sonny told Mikey he existed in "self indulgence" and that is quite common among creative people in a slump...especially if you're addicted to drugs.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
vor 2 Stunden schrieb fakespyder:

Is the doctor at the end of the episode Tommy T from s5 "Over The Line"?

Yes, indeed.

• Like 1