Episode #67 "Everybody's In Showbiz"

Ferrariman

5 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I thought Gina and Trudy ran down the masks with the funny guy at the gag shop. 

Yes you're right they did. And the owner had a costumer list, but I do wonder how they knew exactly, that it was Mikey, that had worn the mask and not some of the other guys at his theater. I mean, he could've been registered as the buyer, but buying it for the theater, though someone else could have worn it. I'm going to deep into this now. :)

Edited by summer84

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

Yes you're right they did. And the owner had a costumer list, but I do wonder how they knew exactly, that it was Mikey, that had worn the mask and not some of the other guys at his theater. I mean, he could've been registered as the buyer, but buying it for the theater, though someone else could have worn it. I'm going to deep into this now. :)

Like so man other episodes, we just gotta say “it’s Miami Vice”, so (almost) anything is okay. :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I noticed when Mikey says "This is the first form of social expression that won't land yourself in the joint", there was a dub. Watch his mouth closely. He says "Land your ass in the joint". Guess that wouldn't fly on network tv back then lol.

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2020 at 12:01 PM, TylerDurden389 said:

I noticed when Mikey says "This is the first form of social expression that won't land yourself in the joint", there was a dub. Watch his mouth closely. He says "Land your ass in the joint". Guess that wouldn't fly on network tv back then lol.

I didn’t notice that! But there are some episodes with “ass” or “bitch”... I’m drawing a blank of examples. I think “Hell Hath No Fury” has the B-word. Language like that kind of flies past me. It’d be different if they pulled a Ralphie and said “OH FUDGE!” :)

Of course, “hell” and “damn” are used throughout the series. I heard it was a big deal in 1957 when Elvis said “Lady, I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about,” in “Jailhouse Rock”. Times have changed!

28 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

there are some episodes with “ass” or “bitch”

The decoder moron in “Down for the Count II” says “graduation was a bitch”, and Tubbs says “It’s a bitch” in “God’s Work”, I believe. 

I’ll have to think about “ass” for awhile. :) :) :) 

In the words of Oswaldo Guzman, I’ll try not to “get a hernia”. :) 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

The decoder moron in “Down for the Count II” says “graduation was a bitch”, and Tubbs says “It’s a bitch” in “God’s Work”, I believe. 

I’ll have to think about “ass” for awhile. :) :) :) 

In the words of Oswaldo Guzman, I’ll try not to “get a hernia”. :) 

Thanks for those examples! There was definitely no shortage of ass in Miami Vice. :) But I could be wrong if they didn’t use the word itself.

I guess “bastard” is also considered profanity, or “foul language” to some. Definitely something I couldn’t get away with in school!

101C97B1-AEA0-4298-9D2C-A9B471A9C7DC.jpeg

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yuck. I rewatched this one last night and it’s pretty bad. It had been a long time and forgot how bad it was! Does somebody have a barf bag around here? :eek:

It’s not totally awful... I’ll watch it again sometime, but Mikey is just ridiculously annoying. That part when he’s reciting a poem while handcuffed to that column, I had to MUTE the TV! Ugh, shut up, already!

I don’t wish death on anybody in real life, but I think his character should have died when Gallego stabbed him. Good riddance!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I was a big fan of "Batteries Not Included" when I was a kid, so I really like that guy and this episode overall. Such a shame he died so young. Dude could've at least became a pretty successful tv actor over time, lMO.

• 7 months later...

This was an episode that jumped around and a lot of Jan Hammer’s score was recycled from other episodes. However I thought the Chris de Burgh “Trilogy” songs worked well and was the first music of his used in the show at that point by the spring of 1987. 
Directed by Dick Compton who had previously directed the fine “Down for the Count” (Parts 1 and 2). 
9/10 for “Showbiz”.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is probably my least favorite episode of Season 3. :thumbsdown: The only episode that is worse than this one is of course "Missing Hours"...although “Viking Bikers From Hell”, "Cows of October", and “Miracle Man” probably all tie this one with being the 2nd worst episode of the series! :wuerg:

The beginning of this one is pretty good...Crockett and Tubbs trying to infiltrate this drug dealer's business and then they're ripped off by some goons in Halloween masks. But, that's where the good ends. First you have a seriously OCD drug dealer, Don Gallego, who likes to freakin' dustbuster his limo every five seconds. :rolleyes: 

Then, you have these weirdo, goofball theater guys who don't ever seem to work. Then enter...Mikey. That dude was flippin' psycho! He just kind of screamed out whacked-out phrases like "My soul is slogging through oatmeal" :shout:, he kind of spazzed-out every five seconds almost like he was having seizures, and hardly ever made sense.

His character left you in the Twilight Zone and was off the radar! :radar: Every time I watch this one I'm like, what the he**? :eek: But, Michael Carmine did do a superb job of playing a nut-job...but unfortunately not an interesting or captivating nut-job, just one you wish would shut up! :sick: Poor dude died of heart failure not too long after this...sad but I'm not surprised. 

The episode itself was just too pathetic, bizarre, and barely made any sense itself...other than I sort of understood the OCD drug dude wanted his briefcase back because it contained his drug business info. The rest of the episode appeared to just be crack-head babble, which was irritating :evil: and left you going "Huh??" ?( 

Because I did find the very beginning somewhat interesting and of course enjoyed the Jan Hammer themes, I originally gave this one a 3...but perhaps I was too nice. If I could re-rate it’d only get a 2-2.5. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I like this one with its allusions to Miguel Pinero - ex-con, award-winning playwright (Short Eyes), and actor and writer for Miami Vice.  It's even co-written by another acclaimed playwright Reinaldo (Cuba and his Teddy Bear) Povod, protege of Pinero.  Sadly, as with Pinero, Povod died young.  (Also interesting that short-lived German writer and director Rainier Werner Fassbinder is mentioned in passing by Mikey.)

Nice to see Paul Calderon and Coati Mundi back.  Also the young Benicio Del Toro.  I guess it was Mundi and Michael Carmine as the two robbers in the teaser? And does anyone know who played Ochburg, the prank-playing costume shop owner? And, whoa, for a big-time Elvis Presley fan, Switek sure sucks at the impersonation!  Maybe he'd be better off impersonating Elvis Costello. :dance2:

In reading the previous posts, I see that this episode sure got dumped on!  But I like it quite a lot.  And any Vice that has Hammer's "Maria's Dance/Gabrielle's Sway" cue in it is all right by me! :radio:

1 minute ago, RedDragon86 said:

For a serious it is the worst in the series. 

Michael Carmine is the soul reason, his performance is intensely painful to watch.

It’s not as terrible as “Missing Hours”...but, it, “Viking Bikers”, “Cows of October”, and “Miracle Man” are darn close. ALL of those are embarrassments to the show, and to the art of television!! :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

It’s not as terrible as “Missing Hours”...but, it, “Viking Bikers”, “Cows of October”, and “Miracle Man” are darn close. ALL of those are embarrassments to the show, and to the art of television!! :thumbsdown:

I know Viking Bikers is not a great one and not plausible but at least you can watch it all the way without so many cringeworthy almost unbearable moments thanks to Mikey.

Sonny reciting poetry was daft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedDragon86 said:

I know Viking Bikers is not a great one and not plausible but at least you can watch it all the way without so many cringeworthy almost unbearable moments thanks to Mikey.

Agreed with Mikey and “Showbiz”...however, I can hardly stand to watch “Viking Bikers” either, lol. :p But, everyone has their likes & dislikes...to each his or her own! :funky::dance2: 

6 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I remember the first time I watched this and thinking "Did Crockett really just recite a poem in the park??"

Watch a double feature of "Free Verse" and "Everybody's in Showbiz" for a rip-roarin good time!

I actually like this epiosde even if it ist not one of my favorite. It will always be a special one for me because of a name, Mikey mentioned in the beginning.

I nearly felt from my sofa, when I first heard the name of the director he told from: Rainer Werner Fassbinder. He was not only a famos German director but was born near the place I grew up. Unfortunaltly he died at a very young age with only 37 years (from a heart arrest possibly caused by a lethal cocktail of cocaine, alcohol and barbiturates), but was extremly prolific with over 40 completed feature films.

Like Michael Mann Fassbinder had usually the full artistic controll about his films, he wrote them and even acted in his own films. I always ask me, if the mentioning of his name means that Michael Mann knew and respected this director?

• Like 2

I was going to add this to my review above, but my "edit" option has already expired - This is a rather black comedic idea, but considering how fanatical Don Gallego (his ego is galling? lol) was about the neatness of the interior of his limo, wouldn't it have been karma if, at the end, he'd have been shot inside it? :sick:

18 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I was going to add this to my review above, but my "edit" option has already expired

Sure? I can edit my posts even much later. Did you click on the three dots in the right upper corner?

Edited by Glades
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Glades said:

Sure? I can edit my posts even much later. Did you click on the three dots in the righter upper corner?

Oh!!!!! I did not know about that.  Wow, I'm dumb.  Thank you for showing me that.  Dang, every message board I use has a different system, lol. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Oh!!!!! I did not know about that.  Wow, I'm dumb.  Thank you for showing me that.  Dang, every message board I use has a different system, lol. 

In this forum it just changed recently, too!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, thought I’d share my new video analysis on this amazing episode. 

For me, this is a forgotten gem in the series. Personally I hold this episode in high regard. I think some may feel this is filler but there has clearly been a lot of thought and attention put into this episode. Given the death of Michael Carmine just two years after this was filmed, I find the whole thing bittersweet. 

Jan revisits a lot of old cues from The Maze and also created an original cue for the Mikey character. Overall solid 4/5 stars.

Edited by Miami Beau
  • Like 2

I already watched your video yesterday!I already knew some about this background, but you summarize it very detailed and clear.  I also agree with you. Thank you.

For me this episode is very exciting for another reason. It is the importance that this episode has in the meta-narrative of MV. As S3 progresses, especially after the death of Zito, Sonny/MV tries to solve the problems he faces with more and more control. And fails to do so. At least, that's how I interpret Sonny´s statement at the end of "Viking Bikers from Hell": Not wanting to be better (than the criminals), just shooting better. That takes away any meaning of his work, if cops are on the same moral level as criminals!

So for me it's very understandable that the next episode is a crazy one. In order to break up a messy situation, it is very helpful to dare to do something - seemingly - crazy. If you always do only the reasonable, you end up staying on the same track, nothing changes.
Mikey is a bit crazy, but also very lively. And in the end, he survives, at least for now, though almost pronounced dead.  At first, this ending seemed rather strange to me. Now I see it as life can find ways that the intellect doesn't know.

Edited by Glades

• 3 months later...

Interesting video about censors back in the day. It appears the ones in England were worse than our Australian censors.

That example "edit"from Everybody's in Showbiz is a horrible cut. The host saying the censor did a good job must be drunk. He mangled the whole scene.

10 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

Interesting video about censors back in the day. It appears the ones in England were worse than our Australian censors.

That example "edit"from Everybody's in Showbiz is a horrible cut. The host saying the censor did a good job must be drunk. He mangled the whole scene.

The whole episode should have been edited...out! :p 

• Haha 1