Exklusive Interview with John Diehl - English

Ell.a

• Administrators

Mr. Diehl, I'm very pleased and happy that you took some time to answer our questions - though your tight timetable in person and handwritten!

Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

You’re in TV and movie business for nearly 30 years already. Was it your personal wish to become an actor or did it happen accidentally?

It kind of happened as a “flukeâ€. As a young person I never thought of acting as a profession. I started out as a visual artist (drawing/sculpture). I remember taking a night time college extension course in sculpture and a class in acting. I got a F in Art (didn’t like the teacher) and an A in the acting class. And I learned acting by doing plays in the theatre for no money.

Do you still remember the time when you applied for the role of Larry Zito? Was it just “Business as usual� Or did you anticipate or even know that Miami Vice would be something very special?

I had no idea that MV would turn out the way it did. It was an audition like any other.

Many fans regret the fact that there wasn’t more space for Larry and that he was killed in season 3. What were your reasons to leave the show?

I was very unhappy working the show in the 3rd season. I didn’t have enough to do. I think I left at a good time anyway. I don’t regret it.

Is it true that you started a boxing career after Miami Vice?

I was so bored with being in Miami 9 months out of the year and not doing much as “Zitoâ€. I took up boxing as a kind of hobby. I was always interested in the Sweet Science. But I never had any attention to make a career out of boxing.

You played roles in over 100 movies and TV productions. Which was your favourite role?

To this date there’s a film in the can that is my favourite, but we’ll be looking for some Festivals to show it. Berlin?? But my favourite role in a movie would be Wim Wender’s “Land of Plentyâ€

You also appeared in Roland Emmerich’s “Stargateâ€, worked with Kurt Russell, Tom Berenger, Sandra Bullock, Kevin Spacey, Ben Affleck and many other well known artists. Would you like to talk about your most significant encounter with one of them?

Some day if we talk together I can tell you lots of stories.[Note: Meet John Diehl!!!]

Who impressed and influenced you most in your professional career?

I would have to say my sister Sarah Hope.

You are still in TV and movie business. What are your recent projects? Can you tell us something about your future projects?

As I said, there’s a film I did in June of this year which I’m excited about called “Gary’s walkâ€. We shall see.

Mr. Diehl, we would like to thank you ver much for the interview. We wish you and your projects all the best for the future!

All questions and pics by Ell.a! Special thanks to Alex!!!

© November 15th 2008 John DiehlAll rights reserved. Reprint and duplication - alltogether or in extracts - as well as assimilation into other media and commercial use is only permitted with the author's written agreement.