Episode #66 "Viking Bikers From Hell"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...
Guest neworder

I’m not a big fan of this episode. I absolutely hated the bikers and their style and stupid heavy metal music that they played. The intro sequence has to go down as one of the worst in the whole series, if not the worst. There is a lot of random stuff going on, the story is ridiculous, the characters ridiculous, the artists music is ridiculous, the action ridiculous, everything is ridiculous. However, I like the scene in the biker bar that was funny, Jan Hammer’s music is good and I suppose the end fight was competent. Overall, too much crap to wade through in this episode - 4/10The first time since The Maze that Miami Vice has been this bad for me!

Rubbish episode. Very poor indeed.The only good part was the Wellesian camera shot of the pool.Overall, a very bad episode. 3/10

• Like 1

• Administrators

The only thing that carried this episode is Jan Hammer's score! I give the episode a 5 but Jan gets a 10!

• Like 1

My Review from 2007....I haven't watched it since. I'll hold my Rating for the Poll until I watch this Ep. again!I gave it an 8 in the poll. "A sixteenth of an inch more & you would have been wearing your dress blues." This is what the doctor told Sonny about Rico's condition in a very exciting episode for me, from Season 3. I watched this last night with no remembrance of the story although I had seen it about 8 years ago. I will watch Viking Bikers from Hell more often now. The immaginative execution of all the dealers who were involved with the man they called "The Wire" kept me interested. The dude falling into his cake was unique while the party song played in the background. The guy who gave up the Krugerands still had to give up his life in his pool. Izzy, "still a worm," according to Reb was funny as an entertainer in the park. I give him credit...he didn't blow Cooper & Burnett's cover, calling them "pond scum." Sonny roughing up the biker in the bar while Rico covered the others with his shotgun was cool! Why Rico wore sunglasses there & not out in the sun puzzles me. ...but he looked cool & bad! The shootout at the end with the cops was action packed! Reb making the bike jump ovr them was great. Sonny, while being choked but getting out his leg gun & shooting Reb in the stomach was a nice touch. I winced as they both fell over the pier & Sonny, or a stuntman hit his back on the wall. I liked Wire's sister not wanting to be a part of his lifestyle but she was no dummy.......took the bag of gold coins & skipped town! I liked her artist's clothes & works. The end was funny....... Rico asking, "are we better? and Sonny saying," better shots." I didn't think I would, but I'm giving this one 8.5 . I really enjoyed it.

I liked it too and thought the opening scene was good where Reb gets out of prison and kills another biker for his motorcycle. It was different enough from the other episodes in a good way I gave it a 9.

About a 4-5. Best parts were Tubbs in the bar with shotgun and Izzy singing outdoors. The place where Izzy was singing might have been in the movie "Cuba" shot it the 80's.

Episode 66: Viking Bikers from HellViking Bikers from Hell ... Viking Bikers from Hell ... VIKING BIKERS FROM HELL!:evil:(agent 47 smacks head into keyboard)That smack was more stimulating and entertaining than this episode, I hope I never see it again, I hope I never hear of it again, I have managed to block a lot of it out in my mind but I keep seeing bikers riding around a burn barrel over and over ... help!!:eek:Allright, it's not as bad as Junk Love but dang it's close!Score: 2P.S. No, I didn't actually smack my head into the keyboard, I'm not that crazy!:D

I haven't seen this episode for a while, so I can't remember every detail.. But I think that this episode is not so bad. Leap Of Faith is much worse.I don't like Reb (I think it was Reb) and other bikers. I really like Jan Hammer's score here.I give 8 to this episode.

Guest neworder
Viking Bikers from Hell ... Viking Bikers from Hell ... VIKING BIKERS FROM HELL!:evil:(agent 47 smacks head into keyboard)That smack was more stimulating and entertaining than this episode' date=' I hope I never see it again, I hope I never hear of it again, I have managed to block a lot of it out in my mind but I keep seeing bikers riding around a burn barrel over and over ... help!!:eek:Allright, it's not as bad as Junk Love but dang it's close!Score: 2 out of 10P.S. No, I didn't actually smack my head into the keyboard, I'm not that crazy!:D[/quote']haha! That made me laugh Agent47, thanks, definitely one of the funniest reviews I've ever read. Hope you get that image of the bikers going round the barrel out of your head, very weird isn't it and why??? Seriously why the f*ck were they doing that? Is it cool in biking circles? I wonder if all bikers do this ...

haha! That made me laugh Agent47' date=' thanks, definitely one of the funniest reviews I've ever read. Hope you get that image of the bikers going round the barrel out of your head, very weird isn't it and why??? Seriously why the f*ck were they doing that? Is it cool in biking circles? I wonder if all bikers do this ...[/quote']Don't worry, the image has faded a lot, now I can't even remember what the hell was the whole thing about! I seemed to be in a confused daze about this one, it kind of reminds me of a quick zombie attack, a surreal experience but when it's over, it's a blur.I'm suprised the bikers weren't singing "Ring around the Rosy" to be honest, it might have helped the episode a little bit, well, it would have been hilarious.:D

My original review 24 August 2007 at 7:38pmThis episode has grown on me over the years. I'm rating it a 6 mainly for the scenery, the plot, and the music although I don't know the song titles. I'm not rating it any higher because I found some of the acting by Reb, and the bikers painful! Music: "I'm coming back for you" or whatever it's called seems appropriate to play when Reb gets out of jail and he's talking to the other bikers about avenging the Wire's death. The Song about the party (classic Motown sound) was appropriate for the Guy who got shot and fell face first into his cake. Especially the lines "everyone went just as they had come" or something to that effect. The song "Who do you love" was a good song to play in the bar scene where Sonny is working over the guy to find out who was whacking the dealers."Tightrope Walk"? was also a good song to play at the show down between Reb and the cops and during his and Sonny's fight. We find out from the start that Reb has this weird philosophy and is not a sympathetic character at all. Especially after he shoots Charlie. I can see where they get the title of this episode. The episode opens up with some sort of Norse or Viking statue (was that supposed to be Odin or Thor. He talks about his mission, and he talks about Vahalla. It's also clear that the other two bikers have no idea what he's talking about. "Vahalla. That's nice I always wanted to go to Europe." LOL!The different ways they whacked the dealers were interesting. I found the "Flowers for Mr. Salazar" moment kind of funny and reminiscent of Merlin Olsen's (another former football player) old FTD commercials, also the method used by the guy who looked like an Indian and the reference by the Wire to Reb to act like Geronimo and take care of the Cocaine Cowboys was somewhat humorous The guy falling into the cake after they sing For he's a jolly good fellow I find humorous because of the timing and the way the party goers shuffle off trying to look like they weren't ever there. The scenes used were interesting: the scene in the motorcycle bar. The scene where Sonny and Rico are driving and the three bikers pass right by them neither group knowing who the others were. The scene in the park with the couple being threatened by other two bikers while Reb is preparing his sniper weapon. Even the junk yard where Reb and Sonny have their last showdown. I think I saw an old boat discarded there along with some old cars. a gleaming white Testarossa and a motor bike both looked out of place there. I also found interesting the scene where the cops were taking pictures to ID the funeral goers and Reb was taking pictures to also ID the funeral goers that were the Wire's customers I also found interesting Sonny's attitude about the whole thing. It seems he took out the Wire because the wire had found out he was a cop, and there were civilians coming so he didn't have time except to shoot him because he was shot at first, and if he had reported it as justifiable homicide his cover would have been blown and if the Wire didn't kill him he'd be pushing paper in a downtown office (instead of Vice) and that was unacceptable. So it looks like Sonny Crockett/Burnett caused this whole blood bath! I wonder if Sonny felt a little guilty about it especially after Reb shot Tubbs. If Sonny hadn't done what he had done to the Wire, Reb wouldn't have been whacking the dealers to such an extent, and Tubbs wouldn't have been there and shot. I don't think even Sonny realized until he talked to Cragen and the psychiatrist that he was the target and the cause of all this mayhem. Besides having a good point about the minute he stuck his head back up he'd be whacked. I think Sonny wanted to just stop the mayhem and stop Reb. I think he was really fearful for his life, but wanted to get Reb before Reb got him. I'm as puzzled as anyone why Sonny put up his dukes like he was going to fight in the ring! Sonny was in the army he had some hand to hand combat experience he certainly knew street fighting, so him putting up his dukes made no sense to me. Reb yelling Burnett before throwing the barrel at him made no sense either. Sonny able to get his ankle gun and shooting Reb point blank in the chest three times (it was Sonny's usual three shot burst in the original NBC version) finally made sense. Sonny hitting his head and still coming up alive didn't make that much sense. That clunk made my head ache! The Scenes with Rico are good. We get a little insight on the partnership. The first scene where Sonny and Rico are coming out of the church and discussing the funeral they caused. Another scene we get is Sonny handing over his sunglasses to Rico before Sonny works Cragen and Rico putting them on and holding off the other guys in the bar. Sonny and Rico talking on their radios and making jokes about Sonny's legs. The scene in the hospital where Rico is kind of out it and keeps telling Sonny Reb can't be killed he's like a machine, Sonny tries to comfort him. Then the last scene in the hospital when Sonny and Rico have the discussion about innocence, karma, monsters and being better. The Wire's sister I really couldn't get a handle on her. She insisted she didn't want any part of her brother's world, yet I think she felt sorry for Reb but was afraid of him. She certainly didn't like the cops, and although she knew the money was bad she took it anyway and vamoosed. Did she take Reb's advise and do something good with it? Notice in the scenes with her they're filmed closer and closer together. from being at opposite ends of the apartment to Reb almost touching her on the last visit. Note that it was Gina who gave Sonny a clue of where to find Reb. I'm not sure anyone else would have since Castillo didn't want Sonny there. Sonny just can't stand back when things are happening that affect him. 1/29/2009 - I watched this last weekend, but I don't have time to post my recent thoughts. Most of what I wrote remains the same.

Just a strange episode and 'rebel bikers' riding import bikes really doesn't make a statement. The road side park with the bikers hasseling the folks in that sweet triple black '71 GTO convertible and I also chuckled a bit when the dealer went face first into his own cake on que. We also see the "stunt double' Testarossa in this episode again. The first time was in Theresa and now in this one. Check the way it sits, the chrome wheels and the big fender gaps at the doors. Close, yet can't beat the real thing. I could go on, it's just that...It's too painful. I'll toss this one a three and be done with it :sleep::sleep::thumbsdown:...Mike

• 2 weeks later...

For me, this episode just barely merits a 5. The notion of three maniacal bikers with a hitlist on drug dealers sounds entertaining on paper, but how they portrayed them left alot to be desired. The shootout at their hideout was the only appreciable footage, I found.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting spread of scores for this one. Everything from 1 to 10. I still think there are some good qualities about this episode. For example I thought that Tubbs' line "I guess we can rule out suicide" was an amusing punchline for a suspenseful scene to end on.The last 10 minutes I thought were excellent i.e the shootout at Virginia Key, and Crockett's subsequent chase of Gustavsen. In particular I loved the stunt where the biker stuntguy is about an inch away from colliding with the Testarossa (wonder if the director actually meant for them to get that close?). Also when Gustavsen and Crockett fell from the ship was a great scene. Although clearly this could not have been the real DJ, his stunt double was identical. Even with my dvd player on zoom, I could not tell him apart from DJ. This was in contrast though to the bikers filmed riding down what appeared to be the Rickenbacker Causeway. As soon as they got up close, it was easy to see that these were three stuntmen, not the actual actors. This was one of the episodes that the BBC shelved during the original airing. So it wasn't until about 1993 that I first saw this episode. We also got to see the Atlantis Condo front entrance again in this episode. I noticed that the colour scheme had changed since when we originally saw the same front in "Hit list" (the pillars were all white). However when I visited the place two years ago, the colour scheme had gone back to what it was in "Hit List". Until I rewatched this episode yesterday, I'd assumed the colour scheme had never actually changed.There seems to have been a lot of filming done in this episode around Brickell Avenue, Rickenbacker causeway, and Virginia Key. You can see that for convenience, they did the majority of filming in these areas.The guy who played the Psychiatrist also played Dr Poe in "The Big Thaw", and the woman who played the Doctor, also played Maynard's wife in "Back in the world".I thought Gustavsen's comment about "we're going to Valhallah" was quite apt considering that Valhallah was the Viking version of the afterlife. Afterall, all three of them ended up dead by the end of the episode.Other things I noticed were the scene where Crockett has that random slimeball guy up against the wall and is hitting him in the face. The first punch looked amazingly real. I also thought Gina was crazy for letting Crockett know where Gustavsen was, considering Crockett almost got killed after he found him. If Crockett had have got killed, Castillo would have wanted to know how he ended up finding Gustavsen, and Gina's name would probably have somehow come out in the wash. That would have been the end of her career!I'll give this episode 7.5 out of 10.

Special memories of this one. We were in Miami and saw some filming. I posted about our trip;)

I saw your pics. I thought the one showing the actor who played Gustavsen and DJ chatting light heartedly between filming was particularly interesting, considering how they were literally at each other's throats in the episode.

I saw your pics. I thought the one showing the actor who played Gustavsen and DJ chatting light heartedly between filming was particularly interesting' date=' considering how they were literally at each other's throats in the episode.[/quote']Watching the episode is a walk down memory lane for us because of being there for some filming. :happy:

• 1 year later...
Reb Brown makes this eppy quite painful to sit through' date=' why does he have a SAG card? :sick:Epic FAIL!2/10[/quote']I didn't know until recently that John Milius wrote this episode. I think he was good friends with Michael Talbott because both are staunch NRA members. If it's written by Milius, you can be sure that there will be lots of gunfire ... VBFH is probably the most violent episode MV ever had.I did like the end scene, in the hospital as the sun is coming up, and Sonny's line about being better shots.

Guest MetroVice

Bikers episode . . .I would have to say that although it wasn't among my *favorites*, it was by far NOT the worst in my opinion. But it's funny what some people consider to be good or bad though. That's just what makes us all different I guess.For it being so long since the last episode of Vice was shot, anything that is Vice is worth watching. I'll gladly sit through even what I consider the worst episode of Miami Vice just to see the cast together again :done:

• 2 years later...

This is not one of season 3's best episodes for sure...probably only the 2nd worst of the season next to "Everybody's In Showbiz". This one is just over-the-top ridiculous, and the opening was bizarre. :rolleyes:I don't really like or care about anything Viking. However, these whacked-out, psychotic bikers hardly had anything "Viking" about them...other than their pleasure and obsession with violence and bloodshed.Some of the fashion and Jan Hammer music was awesome, and the end shoot-out scene was pretty cool! :cool: I also liked the "kill" with the drug-dealer/crime boss falling face-first into his birthday cake after being hit. :)But, other than those few aspects this episode was pretty weak and goofball. It left you going...huh?? :radar:I gave it a 4. :p I'd say that rather than "Viking Bikers" from Hell, that this is the "episode" from Hell...but that in actuality probably belongs to "Missing Hours". ;)Also, I realize that everyone has their opinions...but who the heck rated this "booger" a 10?? :eek: LOL! ;)