Episode #1 "Brother's Keeper"

Ferrariman

'I can feel it in the Air"

I replay that scene very often too.Just love it:happy:

I woke up with this song playing in my head! I think it was because I was watching the movie "Hangover" but they only played a small bit.Then I researched the song and Phil Collins writing of the song. I think it is etched in my DNA being that it was relevant to my situation at the time also.
  • Haha 1

I woke up with this song playing in my head! I think it was because I was watching the movie "Hangover" but they only played a small bit.Then I researched the song and Phil Collins writing of the song. I think it is etched in my DNA being that it was relevant to my situation at the time also.

This song is one of the most awesome songs ever written and used in a TV show!! "In the Air Tonight" will always define "Miami Vice" and it's sizzling "grittiness" of the drug underworld. Mezmerizing!! :thumbsup:Also, awesome avatar, teresaslo!! :cool:

• 2 months later...

Brother's Keeper1. Brother’s Keeper Ahh here we go. The episode that started it all. The intro to this episode is pretty good. It looks like Tubbs is just going after an everyday criminal. We find out though that there is much more to this. Miami Vice literally starts out with a bang. Crockett’s partner getting blown up at the underpass was a great way to start the series. We instantly see the danger and unexpected turns an undercover cop has to deal with. I really liked seeing Crockett’s personal life in this episode. His marriage is falling apart due to his unpredictable life as a vice cop. I always liked seeing Caroline in episodes because I thought her and Sonny has an interesting dynamic together. I really wish that she and Billy made a couple of more appearances in the series. Oh well. One of my favorite scenes in this episode and the whole series is when Crockett and Tubbs are at the restaurant waiting to meet Calderone. I love the version of “All Night Long†sung here. Wish I could find a copy. Anyways, the use of the song and no dialogue makes the scene for me. You can feel the tension with Tubbs as he reminisces about his brother’s death. The scene with Gina and Sonny was also a good one. We get to see here that Sonny never feels like he is really off the job. “Hell it’s Tuesday, I must be doing drugsâ€. The tune of “Gina†in the background also makes this scene powerful. I am a big Jan Hammer fan. His music is a huge part of my enjoyment of Vice. “Flashback†is powerful because it just fits so perfectly with the mood of Tubbs and the scene. It really is his theme. The one thing that confused me is when Sonny confronted Rodriguez over his sons expensive school. Was he actually dirty? Watching the other episodes he is in says no but maybe they were saving this for later? Either that or he just wanted to let Sonny know it wasn’t his business, but he seemed really defensive about it. I love the scene where Sonny confronts Scotty Wheeler. It just shows that many people out there have a price. Also, the fact they were friends and Sonny had no idea about it made it better. A friends betrayal means that much more than just a random co-worker. And now we come to the Daytona scene. The sound of “In the Air Tonight†with flashes of the Daytona strolling down Miami. This is what Miami Vice is all about. No show EVER has synced music with scenes as well as Miami Vice has. No dialogue is needed. Music drives this scene. “The Chase†is also a great piece. We feel the rush and tension Tubbs and Crockett feel trying to catch Calderone. The ending was good in that we see reality. Bad Guys escape and win too. The last line “Tubbs, you ever consider a career in southern law enforcement?†is a great way to close a great episode. I will say that Calderone is one of my favorite bad guys in the whole Series. He just has the power and the money. The Calderone story arc is a great set of three episodes. The only thing I can say that I didn’t like in this episode is the courtroom scene where they all draw their guns. Kinda goofy and really does that happen? Besides that I can’t complain about anything else in this episode. This is what I want for a pilot. 10/10

• 1 month later...
A 9 for me. Almost perfect. Quite a lot of storylines because all characters have to be introduced, still the episode is not jammed with information. Didn't like the OCB setting. Nice camerawork, nice settings (bridge in the scene with C&T and Rodriguez).Nice to see more background, like Sonny's personal life and the team meeting to discuss the operation. The storyline about Sonny and Gina (the rose, come on...) was a bit too much for me but it explains the relationships between the characters. A very nice shot anyway when Sonny is standing on his boat in his shiny suit after Gina got below deck, nighttime, Miami buildings at the background... brilliant. :happy:I liked the introduction of Sonny; dedicated, agitated, almost explosive, reluctant (at first towards Tubbs), loyal (towards his superior and 'the book'). Also like the way Tubbs is portrayed; a man on a mission, determined, but also a man with jokes, and spirit (joking about Sonny's cassettes to Elvis) Later on in the show Tubbs becomes more serious. I like to see him lighthearted from time to time, it sorts of balances Sonny's relativism. I would have liked to see more of the Daytona. I don't really understand why Sonny doesn't use the Daytona when he's chasing Tubbs (who's stealing Sonny's speedboat)?In general it's a pleasure to watch 80's TV. The pace is not to fast, things are explained in several shots (like Sonny discovering the car bomb). It's not too obvious, but understandable. Nowadays you blink an eye and you'll miss the plot. Or maybe I'm getting old... :)Clothes: absolutely love Sonny's wardrobe. How can a man, other than DJ, look so cool and masculine in pastels? I also like the shirt Tubbs wears at Sonny's boat, the pastel purple/green stripes. Very cute. Both men also appear a few times barechested on screen... my pause-button and I can't complain.Sonny smoking would be really not done nowadays but I think he looks HOT doing so. It gives him an attitude, but a likeable one. The look on his face at about 13'28", after the discussion with Rodriguez, is simply adorable. Also the wound on his forehead appeals to my inner-Florence Nightingale.And of course the "in the air" scene... it's iconic. The pay phone, the car phone, the phone on the boat... things changed so much and still it doesn't look oldfashioned to me. All in all I enjoyed watching the pilot episode again.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This has to be one of the best pilots ever made. It holds up as entertaining 27 years later. Great introduction of characters and theme. Fantastic visuals, of course. Iconic moment driving to the meet with In the Air Tonight playing. Can't think of another moment like it in TV history (I'm sure there have been a few, but I'm tired).It leaves me wondering how much Anthony Yerkovich was involved with the MV feature film script. If I had to guess, I would say not much, which is a complete shame.

• 5 months later...

JIMMY SMITS BLOWN UP WITHIN FIRST SEVEN MINUTES OF PILOTDoes anyone know or theorize why Sonnys partner was killed so early in the story? Did Jimmy Smits have any regrets that he did not remain in the role?

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I'm new here.I started re watching the show again and i forgot how good it was compared to season 4-5.lots of great scenes, cool music, plenty of action and the iconic "in the air tonight" scene. The boat chase between crockett and tubbs is awesome 10/10.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Watched the "Pilot" again the other night...still love it! The night scene with the Ferrari and Phil Collins' song in the background of course will always be the most famous scene fans identify with the show. :thumbsup:But, I've noticed that for the past couple years the fashion styles of the 80's, even the style of pop rock from then, is back in style. I walk into stores and see nothing but the pastels of "MV" and the 80's...I love it! :clap:In this "Pilot", there's a scene where Tubbs is walking down to Crockett's boat in the early morning (right before Sonny yanks him down into the boat demanding who he really is...as his brother's identity he was using was found out by Gina the night before) and he sees a woman in a bikini. He starts pretending to play a trumpet and goes on about how "hot" she is. :)Anyway, the shirt Tubbs is wearing was a pastel, light blue/purple and aqua striped shirt, with the ends of the short sleeves rolled up. I SWEAR I saw this exact shirt in a department store just two days ago! :cool: I may have to go back to that store and buy the shirt. :) Im just enjoying this flashback in fashion...it was superb the first time around and it still is today! :thumbsup: Even the rolled up sleeves of shirts and the bottoms of jeans are coming back too. I like the shirts...but I'm not sure I'm into rolled up jeans around the ankles again. ;) But, by all means...80's carry on!! :clap:

Watched the "Pilot" again the other night...still love it! The night scene with the Ferrari and Phil Collins' song in the background of course will always be the most famous scene fans identify with the show. :thumbsup:But, I've noticed that for the past couple years the fashion styles of the 80's, even the style of pop rock from then, is back in style. I walk into stores and see nothing but the pastels of "MV" and the 80's...I love it! :clap:In this "Pilot", there's a scene where Tubbs is walking down to Crockett's boat in the early morning (right before Sonny yanks him down into the boat demanding who he really is...as his brother's identity he was using was found out by Gina the night before) and he sees a woman in a bikini. He starts pretending to play a trumpet and goes on about how "hot" she is. :)Anyway, the shirt Tubbs is wearing was a pastel, light blue/purple and aqua striped shirt, with the ends of the short sleeves rolled up. I SWEAR I saw this exact shirt in a department store just two days ago! :cool: I may have to go back to that store and buy the shirt. :) Im just enjoying this flashback in fashion...it was superb the first time around and it still is today! :thumbsup: Even the rolled up sleeves of shirts and the bottoms of jeans are coming back too. I like the shirts...but I'm not sure I'm into rolled up jeans around the ankles again. ;) But, by all means...80's carry on!! :clap:

• 2 months later...
I love the "Pilot" TV movie!! It truly is an electrifying and sizzling start to one of the most superb shows in TV history!!Martin Ferrero was also hilarious as "Trini Desoto" before he became the moronic/annoying recurring regular "Izzy Moreno." :) The music' date=' color, Miami art deco buildings, plot, dialogue, and interactions with the characters/actors are awesome! Of course my favorite scene is the Daytona speeding through the Miami streets with Phil Collins singing "In the Air Tonight" in the background! :cool:Anyway, I gave this a 10. However, the next chapter (so-to-speak) in the Calderone saga is actually my favorite episode/s of first season--the 2-part "Calderone's Return" (aka "Hit List" and "Calderone's Demise"). "Smuggler's Blues" also comes in very close with me, to being my favorite...followed probably by either "The Great McCarthy" or "Evan."[/quote']This was my original review...nothing has changed! The Pilot was awesome...but my favorite episode/s of not only the first season but of the whole series is still the 2-part "Calderone's Return"...all 3 of these episodes are superb!! :thumbsup::clap:

This was my original review...nothing has changed! The Pilot was awesome...but my favorite episode/s of not only the first season but of the whole series is still the 2-part "Calderone's Return"...all 3 of these episodes are superb!! :thumbsup::clap:

All episodes mentioned are superb :thumbsup::clap::D

I wash Vice had done more double-length/two-part episodes. Which is greedy of me, because they actually did more than their fair share. But they were always so good, like real movies.

• Like 1

I wash Vice had done more double-length/two-part episodes. Which is greedy of me' date=' because they actually did more than their fair share. But they were always so good, like real movies.[/quote']Could not have said it better, and could not agree more! :thumbsup::clap:

• 1 year later...

Just watched it AGAIN this past weekend. Got to be nearing 30 times now. How can something 30 years old and so clearly "of its time" hold up so damn well? Dunno, but it does. Whatta movie!

• Like 2

Just watched it AGAIN this past weekend. Got to be nearing 30 times now. How can something 30 years old and so clearly "of its time" hold up so damn well? Dunno, but it does. Whatta movie!

I agree so fantastic - have you seen the HD version from 2006?! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

There's a HD Version? I got my Season One set in late 2006.

NBC aired the pilot in HD to hype up the movie. They basically rescanned the old film in a higher resolution. That version is basically impossible to find.

However, you can watch it in HD on Hulu Plus (Being Australian, it'll require using a DNS), or I could... You know.

Edited by SL1DE

NBC aired the pilot in HD to hype up the movie. They basically rescanned the old film in a higher resolution.

You can watch it on Hulu Plus (Being Australian, it'll require using a DNS), or I could...

Great resolution and remaster 

• 4 weeks later...

Just began watching Miami Vice season 1 again, and I will for the first time since 2008 go through the entire series even though I never been much of a big fan of the last two seasons but they had some great episodes that are well worthy another visit.

I guess there's not much to say that hasn't already been said in this thread but I can't think of any other TV-show that nailed it as good as Miami Vice did when it comes to the first episode/Pilot of Brother's Keeper.

Everything from the very first shot with Rico and his shotgun waitin' for their rendevouz with Calderone, just screamed total badass and its just one of many great scenes.

Beside the classic In the Air Tonight I really enjoyed the scene when Sonny's realised that the leak which cost his partners life, actually are one of his closest friends.

I give the the pilot: 9/10 

• Like 1

I give the the pilot: 9/10 

Well change that into a perfect 10/10, as I had another go at the pilot this weekend and I think I've just found myself a new favorite Miami Vice moment.

Sadly Youtube seems to have thrown away most of the classic Vice videos but I found it (dubbed in french) at Dailymotion and its the scene were Tubbs catch up with Calderone along with Lionel Richie's - All Night Long being played in the backround by a great cover band.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I just noticed. I was watching Sonny after he was shouting at Wheeler "I trusted you, you bastard!". He was leaning on Lou's car and looking at Lou, and then his head slumped into his arms. The emotions he was feeling, in disbelief that one of his best friends and comrades had taken a bribe and 'gone to the other side'.

• Administrators

One thing I just noticed. I was watching Sonny after he was shouting at Wheeler "I trusted you, you bastard!". He was leaning on Lou's car and looking at Lou, and then his head slumped into his arms. The emotions he was feeling, in disbelief that one of his best friends and comrades had taken a bribe and 'gone to the other side'.

Good catch. I never noticed that, too busy looking at the Daytona. :)

• Like 1