Episode #1 "Brother's Keeper"

Ferrariman

6 minutes ago, Remington said:

I'm pretty sure its the transfer that was broadcast in 2006. Looks pretty accurate to me. On the right is the dvd. And thanks a lot man.:D

Wow...there's definitely a difference! So, the orange one is the 2006 NBC airing of the original Pilot (to try and promote the new movie version at the time...which sucked in my opinion), or do you mean the orange one is from the Universal DVDs? Embarrassing enough I've not noticed this before. :o  But, whatever the case pink is the accurate color,  going by my scene-clip of the original '84 airing. =)

Edited by ViceFanMan

Orange one is the Universal DVD. I saw a screenshot comparison on the old blu ray thread that "vanished". Lol otherwise i would've never noticed. And i agree on the movie. It was shot beautifully but it bored me to tears. Also on YouTube there is an nbc classics video showing the In The Air Tonight scene. The difference between the dvd and Blu-ray is stunning.

20 minutes ago, Remington said:

Orange one is the Universal DVD. I saw a screenshot comparison on the old blu ray thread that "vanished". Lol otherwise i would've never noticed. And i agree on the movie. It was shot beautifully but it bored me to tears. Also on YouTube there is an nbc classics video showing the In The Air Tonight scene. The difference between the dvd and Blu-ray is stunning.

I don't have the Blu-ray to compare, but I did just watch the Youtube NBC classics video of In the Air Tonight. Looks pretty awesome...but I don't know if this was from the DVD or Blu-ray version? The video was posted over 2 years ago, and I don't think the Blu-rays were out yet then. My copy of the original 1984 airing is amazing too...it might not be digitally remastered or HD...but 33 years later the colors, sound, and picture quality are still superb! Plus, ALL the colors are correct and obviously have not been altered. :clap:

I'm going to be honest and say I cannot stand the 2006 big-screen movie version! :thumbsdown: I did not think it was filmed very good, and it seemed to be shaky, out of focus, and "grainy"...some people in the theater I was in complained of getting a headache from trying to watch it. :sick: It was not just my theater either, as I read around the time the movie came out, that this was the case for a lot of people. Plus, over half the movie took place in Cuba, and not Miami. What the heck? ?( Casting was not great either :eek: , and you're right...the plot and acting bored me to tears ;(...or a nap. :tongue: The only remotely sort-of watchable scene in the movie was the so-called ode to the original series episode "Smuggler's Blues", with Trudy being held captive. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

Trust me pal it's the Blu-ray. When the series started airing on El Rey, i think in January 2016, they used the same masters as the Blu-ray. So its been around for a while. The remainder of the Blu-rays are the same as the dvd but without a lot of the flicker and the sharpness is greatly enhanced.

And about the movie i pretty much agree on everything. Some of the songs i like but they're nothing compared to the show. 

Also the actual 2006 version is a couple vids below it. Its from five years ago. It has the nbc logo in the corner and its cropped. And it looks about the same.

Trust me pal it's the Blu-ray. When the series started airing on El Rey, i think in January 2016, they used the same masters as the Blu-ray. So its been around for a while. The remainder of the Blu-rays are the same as the dvd but without a lot of the flicker and the sharpness is greatly enhanced.

And about the movie i pretty much agree on everything. Some of the songs i like but they're nothing compared to the show. 

It could be the same master the Blu-rays eventually used...but the video on Youtube was posted in 2014, and I'm not sure what remastered versions (since the DVDs) were available at that time?

There were a couple places in say the startings on the DVDs that had not been remastered--and you could see scratches and dirt, as well as the shakiness of old film, when watching. But, overall as for shakiness and/or flicker, I didn't notice too much of that on the Universal DVDs. The biggest disappointment with the DVDs was they were all syndicated versions...with the altered logos, colors, and even some cut or altered scenes in certain episodes. ;( However, overall I do like my Universal DVDs, and am satisfied with them.

The Blu-rays may be even more sharp and digitally remastered than the DVDs...but from what I remember seeing with some comparisons, before the Blu-ray thread disappeared, the differences weren't that shocking. Plus, I read that there were viewing issues/problems with some of the Blu-ray sets. But, again, if the majority of the Blu-ray episodes are the DVD versions, then most of the episodes are still syndicated copies of the episodes...with the altered logos and color changes (with the exception of say the girl's bikini in the Pilot, lol). :evil:

Someday I may get a Blu-ray player, and subsequently the MV Blu-ray set. But, for now I'm good with my DVDs. :thumbsup:  My "MV gold" for me personally is my original NBC airing DVDs...for me nothing can compare to that, even if not "digitalized", remastered or "Blu-rayed". ;)

I think they've had the "remasters" for a few years now. It just took them forever to release them. Anyway yeah the only color changes really noteworthy are on the pilot, Smugglers Blues which looked terrible on dvd, and the Prodigal Son which looks murkier on blu ray for some reason. Glades is brighter also. But yeah other than those 4 there really isn't much reason to upgrade.

And once again i agree with ya on the MV Gold. That would be so cool. H

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Remington said:

I think they've had the "remasters" for a few years now. It just took them forever to release them. Anyway yeah the only color changes really noteworthy are on the pilot, Smugglers Blues which looked terrible on dvd, and the Prodigal Son which looks murkier on blu ray for some reason. Glades is brighter also. But yeah other than those 4 there really isn't much reason to upgrade.

And once again i agree with ya on the MV Gold. That would be so cool. H

Oh yeah, I do remember someone saying something about Glades being better quality on the Blu-ray. I'll have to re-watch my Universal DVD version of Smuggler's Blues, and then my original airing DVD...see what differences, if any, there are. That's one of my favorite episodes! :cool:

On 4/29/2017 at 5:05 AM, ViceFanMan said:

This was my review from about 7 years ago. Ladies, gents, & fellow Vice fans...I just watched this again a few minutes ago, but this time it was the original 1984 NBC airing...complete with original teaser pre-trailer, commercial bumpers and voiceover during the end credits...so amazing!! :glossy: Still an electrifying premiere...almost 33 years later and it still fascinates me! :cool: 

Yes - great post ViceFanMan!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I gotta go myself...believe it or not I do have a life outside of MV. :p Later, and thanks for all the info! :thumbsup:

A life outside MV really ? ha ha !? :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt5 said:

A life outside MV really ? ha ha !? :D

We'll, the life outside of MV is my undercover me...my "Burnett" :hippie: , whereas the life within MV is the real me...my "Crockett" :cool:  Just kidding! :p

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

We'll, the life outside of MV is my undercover me...my "Burnett" :hippie: , whereas the life within MV is the real me...my "Crockett" :cool:  Just kidding! :p

Haha - great idea :dance::hippie:

:hippie:

Edited by Matt5

• 6 months later...

Hot damn what an opening. I showed a friend of mine a tribute video of MV and he decided he wanted to watch it. So we decided to watch this episode. It was cold and rainy so I guess it was appropriate. :)

Anyway, he really liked it. Probably gonna watch a few S2 episodes next.

Honestly, it's still my favorite episode. Several episodes in S1 and S2 come close but there is just something so special about Brothers Keeper.

I've been on a James Bond binge lately and ain't been around here much. I've missed it. And the people. You guys rock. Cheers my friends.:cool:

Edited by Remington
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2017 at 4:35 AM, Remington said:

Hot damn what an opening. I showed a friend of mine a tribute video of MV and he decided he wanted to watch it. So we decided to watch this episode. It was cold and rainy so I guess it was appropriate. :)

Anyway, he really liked it. Probably gonna watch a few S2 episodes next.

Honestly, it's still my favorite episode. Several episodes in S1 and S2 come close but there is just something so special about Brothers Keeper.

I've been on a James Bond binge lately and ain't been around here much. I've missed it. And the people. You guys rock. Cheers my friends.:cool:

Never tire of this fantastic episode.

The opening teaser  with authentic NYC locations was fantastic . :hippie:

Edited by Matt5

• 3 weeks later...

What I loved: The bad guy can win. Looking back, that had to be the most striking notion to me when I first watched the pilot episode Brother's Keeper back in 1984. Before watching "Miami Vice", all my experiences with police dramas in television and film was the good guys would always land on top. But when Tubbs did the right thing at the end by not shooting... but rather arresting... his brother's killer Calderone, the notorious Columbian druglord got away thanks to Miami's bent legal system. And that's when I was really exposed to a truth at 11 years old, that even if you do the right thing, and act the right way, you can still lose. And to me, recognizing this fact, is the core of what made Miami Vice so different and compelling.

My 15 year old son watched Brother's Keeper for the first time a couple of months ago with his 16 year old step-brother, and he said "It was like watching a movie!"  Indeed.

So many people here have dicussed why the pilot episode is so good that I am trying hard not to completely retread. The writing, the casting, the sets and direction were all perfection. And the chemistry, the chemistry between Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas, with Sandra Santiago and Gregory Sierra and between them and guest stars Miguel Pinero, Jimmy Smitts, Bill Smitrovich ...all of them... was just so damn electric!  All these elements mixed to a perfect storm that I don't think any of this show's creators could duplicate if they tried (and some of them tried).

The wonderful writing keeps you in suspense at every turn!  Is this man we're introduced to in the beginning (Tubbs) a villian? Who's a leak in the department? Will Crockett and Caroline get back together? Who is this female killer working for Calderone? If Tubbs was killed in New York, who is this guy?  Why is Gina so upset at Crockett?  Lou could be the leak!-Where did you get the money Lou?  Wheeler is the leak? Calderone is captured... wait they let him go?

The direction is equally amazing. From where the camera is mounted on the Ferrari as we listen to Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight to the way the camera follows Crockett's stare that seems to hold up Maria from collapsing to the floor as her realization sets in, it's all impeccably fantastic.

The clothing, the colors, the song selection, Jan Hammer's soul penetrating score! The perfect mix, that one of a million lightning strike that started a phenomenon.

Brother's Keeper!  You beast you!!! Just Perfection!

What I would change: Like a few television pilots before it, I felt this pilot episode was deserving of a theatrical release. Imagine watching this on the big screen? What a dream that would be!

Final Grade:

IMG_20171215_095946.thumb.jpg.16fa78aac2d2bb935a24eb3728a5433b.jpg

Edited by ComplimentsofMrCalderone
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ComplimentsofMrCalderone said:

What I loved: The bad guy can win. Looking back, that had to be the most striking notion to me when I first watched the pilot episode Brother's Keeper back in 1984. Before watching "Miami Vice", all my experiences with police dramas in television and film was the good guys would always land on top. But when Tubbs did the right thing at the end by not shooting... but rather arresting... his brother's killer Calderone, the notorious Columbian druglord got away thanks to Miami's bent legal system. And that's when I was really exposed to a truth at 11 years old, that even if you do the right thing, and act the right way, you can still lose. And to me, recognizing this fact, is the core of what made Miami Vice so different and compelling.

My 15 year old son watched Brother's Keeper for the first time a couple of months ago with his 16 year old step-brother, and he said "It was like watching a movie!"  Indeed.

So many people here have dicussed why the pilot episode is so good that I am trying hard not to completely retread. The writing, the casting, the sets and direction were all perfection. And the chemistry, the chemistry between Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas, with Sandra Santiago and Gregory Sierra and between them and guest stars Miguel Pinero, Jimmy Smitts, Bill Smitrovich ...all of them... was just so damn electric!  All these elements mixed to a perfect storm that I don't think any of this show's creators could duplicate if they tried (and some of them tried).

The wonderful writing keeps you in suspense at every turn!  Is this man we're introduced to in the beginning (Tubbs) a villian? Who's a leak in the department? Will Crockett and Caroline get back together? Who is this female killer working for Calderone? If Tubbs was killed in New York, who is this guy?  Why is Gina so upset at Crockett?  Lou could be the leak!-Where did you get the money Lou?  Wheeler is the leak? Calderone is captured... wait they let him go?

The direction is equally amazing. From where the camera is mounted on the Ferrari as we listen to Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight to the way the camera follows Crockett's stare that seems to hold up Maria from collapsing to the floor as her realization sets in, it's all impeccably fantastic.

The clothing, the colors, the song selection, Jan Hammer's soul penetrating score! The perfect mix, that one of a million lightning strike that started a phenomenon.

Brother's Keeper!  You beast you!!! Just Perfection!

What I would change: Like a few television pilots before it, I felt this pilot episode was deserving of a theatrical release. Imagine watching this on the big screen? What a dream that would be!

Final Grade:

IMG_20171215_095946.thumb.jpg.16fa78aac2d2bb935a24eb3728a5433b.jpg

I could not have said it better myself! As Marg Helgenberger once said about the 1st episode of CSI: “It was one hell of a Pilot!” :thumbsup:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I could not have said it better myself! As Marg Helgenberger once said about the 1st episode of CSI: “It was one hell of a Pilot!” :thumbsup:

Thanks. Now you got me interested in checking out the CSI pilot again. I haven't watched it since it originally aired!

5 hours ago, ComplimentsofMrCalderone said:

Thanks. Now you got me interested in checking out the CSI pilot again. I haven't watched it since it originally aired!

I loved CSI...die-hard fan till the end! Not a show like MV, and the Pilot was a regular 1hr episode, but it still had that same effect on viewers—shocked and amazed them with something new that had not been done or seen before. :glossy: Now most shows copy them...with color/fashion, music, special effects, and graphic visuals. Both shows were “pioneers” in their areas of TV and for their times—both instant icons! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well I've spent most of the day working, it's hot, and I don't really feel like going out tonight. Time to watch Brother's Keeper again.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Well I've spent most of the day working, it's hot, and I don't really feel like going out tonight. Time to watch Brother's Keeper again.:thumbsup:

Outstanding way to spend an evening.  Odd thing,  I was working hard all day on a plumbing job and thought I should be doing to same. :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Remington said:

The best ever - and a great way to spend an evening, complete escapism Miami style !:hippie: