Episode #65 "Knock, Knock...Who's There?

Ferrariman

16 minutes ago, TheGreatMcCarthy said:

One of my favorite Vice episodes. Top 15 for sure. Great acting and drama.

Some good points - the show was less glossy here in late Season 3 - early 1987 and I liked the look of this episode. Sure ratings were falling and the producer's knew it .

But this feels like early 1987.

:D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On Monday, May 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM, ViceFanMan said:

This was a somewhat sad, but understandable (for Linda) episode. However, it's one that to me is okay...but nothing that special.Elizabeth Ashley (Linda Colby) is a good actress, and has done a lot in her career. However, I felt she looked way too old for the part she was playing! She looked like she could have been her husband Chuck's mother...and her 8 year old son Brian's grandma. ;)Also...the lady seriously needed to lay off the cigarettes! :rauchen: She practically had a deeper voice than Crockett's cigarette-induced "gravel". :p She's still alive and acting today...so I hope by now Ashley's given up smoking. The colors and lighting again were awesome--love the neon green against the buildings (like they used in "Lend Me an Ear") and the neon pink hallway at the end--where Crockett chased Montoya down, was superb! :clap: Also, the alternating pink and teal flashing lights in Montoya's club was very "MV"! :glossy: I also loved the music in this one...as always Jan Hammer's themes were perfect! But, even though most here have gone on about Bryan Adams song (Heat of the Night) used in the episode...my favorite song was Underwater Boys by Shriekback! That was an awesome, captivating song and a perfect one for any episode of "MV"! :radio:Ride Across the River by Dire Straits was pretty cool too. Izzy was freakin' hilarious as the whacked-out, still-mannequin/mime thing, in the tidied tights suit, with the purple punk wig! :):) What the heck?? :rolleyes: "Love" the butt-wipe, Internal Affairs Stroh's receding hairline that he tried to compensate with a mullet. That looked stupid even in the 80's! :)But, the plot and how the episode was carried out was somewhat "empty" or "dry". I don't know...it just didn't quite come across like I think it was intended to. It's not a terrible episode...but not a great one either. I gave it a 6.

I have the same exact thoughts on this episode. It ain't a bad episode. I just have no desire to watch it for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Remington said:

I have the same exact thoughts on this episode. It ain't a bad episode. I just have no desire to watch it for a while.

Yeah, the colors and the songs would be the only reasons to see it again...which I'll be doing fairly soon as I'm going through the show again. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2013 at 0:39 AM, ViceFanMan said:

This was a somewhat sad, but understandable (for Linda) episode. However, it's one that to me is okay...but nothing that special.Elizabeth Ashley (Linda Colby) is a good actress, and has done a lot in her career. However, I felt she looked way too old for the part she was playing! She looked like she could have been her husband Chuck's mother...and her 8 year old son Brian's grandma. ;)

Also...the lady seriously needed to lay off the cigarettes! :rauchen: She practically had a deeper voice than Crockett's cigarette-induced "gravel". :p She's still alive and acting today...so I hope by now Ashley's given up smoking. The colors and lighting again were awesome--love the neon green against the buildings (like they used in "Lend Me an Ear") and the neon pink hallway at the end--where Crockett chased Montoya down, was superb! :clap: Also, the alternating pink and teal flashing lights in Montoya's club was very "MV"! :glossy: I also loved the music in this one...as always Jan Hammer's themes were perfect! But, even though most here have gone on about Bryan Adams song (Heat of the Night) used in the episode...my favorite song was Underwater Boys by Shriekback! That was an awesome, captivating song and a perfect one for any episode of "MV"! :radio:Ride Across the River by Dire Straits was pretty cool too.

Izzy was freakin' hilarious as the whacked-out, still-mannequin/mime thing, in the tidied tights suit, with the purple punk wig! :hippie: What the heck?? :rolleyes: "Love" the butt-wipe, Internal Affairs Stroh's receding hairline that he tried to compensate with a mullet. That looked stupid even in the 80's! :eek: But, the plot and how the episode was carried out was somewhat "empty" or "dry". I don't know...it just didn't quite come across like I think it was intended to. It's not a terrible episode...but not a great one either. I gave it a 6.

Okay, this was my review a few years ago. I re-watched this one last night. For the most part I still stand by my review...but for some reason I got more out of the episode this time--perhaps it was the margarita I was drinking? :cheers:  But, only one and I had food along with it, :). However, this time "Knock, Knock" came across as more of a film noir type of episode to me. Despite the colors I mentioned in my original review above, there were many "dark" aspects as well (both figuratively and literally)--and more night scenes than some of the other episodes. There are other "dark" episodes of the series, by all means, but this one just seemed to focus more on the tragic-conflict aspects...which is very much film noir--there's a conflict or tragedy and some or all of the main character/s do things that we can identify with...but know they're the wrong or bad choices & ultimately the outcome is not going to be roses & candy...all amongst a dark & shadowy background/backdrop.

I guess today you have to refer to "film noir-ish" things as neo noir...and in MV's case it'd probably be a neon-noir. :p  But, the tragedy behind Linda's motives makes them totally understandable...but you also know nothing good would eventually come of it, and she'd ultimately face the consequences for her choices. I'm probably reading way too much into it this time around, but for some reason the whole film noir style just really stuck out to me, whereas in times & viewings past this episode never really resonated much with me. Probably because I never really paid that close attention to this one before (one I had going while maybe doing something else at the same time).  Oh well...still not the best episode of the season, but by no means the worst either! :thumbsup: I guess for me, I just discovered a new way of looking at this one.

• 11 months later...

This is a good episode. Elizabeth Ashley is a good actress. She was in the great seventies movies 92 In The Shade and Rancho Deluxe and this episode was a good showcase for her. She was good. Linda's plight in the episode was well executed. This is a well written episode. Another bonus is a great appearance by the always great Ian McShane and he really makes an impression in this ep. A solid story with a great shootout at the end so overall a solid episode. 8.5/10

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just watched, this episode. And I don't understand the title. What does it mean? Who knocks where and who is there? Maybe someone has an idea? Probably it is quite obviously...

Title refers to: you never know who’s gonna come through the door - could be the cops or somebody else. That’s exactly what happens in the teaser.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Tom:

Title refers to: you never know who’s gonna come through the door - could be the cops or somebody else. That’s exactly what happens in the teaser.

Thanks, Tom! That's an understanding of the title that makes sense to me. However, I find a whole bunch of titles at MV simply better, more to the point.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb Robbie C.:

It’s also the lead-in to a particular style of joke. "Knock Knock." "Who's there?" and so on.

Robbie, could you please explain the on-going of the joke for me? I don´t know it.

That`s really the most difficult part of the English language for me. Cultural things everybody knows who live in the US and which you can`t read in a dictionary.

It's a type of joke that starts with "Knock, knock." Someone replies "Who's there?" The other person then says something like "Who." The response is then "Who, who?" And the final line would be "I'm not an owl." Because owls are supposed to make a who-who sound. Not the best example, but they're mostly jokes aimed and kids and I never really liked them.

Vice used a lot of episode titles with double meanings or allusions to other things. Like The Cows of October being a play on the title of a movie about the early '60s Cuban Missile Crisis - the Missiles of October. They aren't always obvious or easy to explain, but they're there. Kind of like a joke among friends that someone outside that circle wouldn't understand.

I hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

It's a type of joke that starts with "Knock, knock." Someone replies "Who's there?" The other person then says something like "Who." The response is then "Who, who?" And the final line would be "I'm not an owl." Because owls are supposed to make a who-who sound. Not the best example, but they're mostly jokes aimed and kids and I never really liked them.

Vice used a lot of episode titles with double meanings or allusions to other things. Like The Cows of October being a play on the title of a movie about the early '60s Cuban Missile Crisis - the Missiles of October. They aren't always obvious or easy to explain, but they're there. Kind of like a joke among friends that someone outside that circle wouldn't understand.

I hope that helps.

That's good!

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Glades:

Thank you very much, Robbie! Yes, it helps. I like that a number of titles on MV have a deeper/double meaning!

The weirdest episode title is „three eyed turtle“ the alternate title of „No exit“. Writer Maurice Hurley was asked once what it means and he admitted he didn’t know. He had just read it somewhere and liked it. In fact, he had seen the sign „no three eyed turtles allowed!“ at a swinger club and without going into details here the 3-eyed turtle is a sexual technique that is even too much for swingers but it ended up as an episode title. With the reruns of the show that meaning somehow seemed to scare off Network TV and this title got dropped. Only saw „no exit“ after that.

• 1 month later...

am i the only one to be obssessed with that episode. i mean the rope that woman is walking on is so tight. what would we do if we had our kid slowly dying, and basically the power to save him. this is something that obssesses me with that episode.the difference between black and white is quite hard to see in that episode. actually the real question i'm asking to myself each time i watch it, it's is it possible. and i can't answer to that question. i mean personnally i wouldn't do it. but if you are a woman, in the 80s with no healthcare, and you see scums with millions in suitcases, and you have the power to steal this to save a kid, wouldn't that super tempting. wouldn't the moment of weakness when we fall into the wrong side excusable, and in which proportion

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

i mean personnally i wouldn't do it. but if you are a woman, in the 80s with no healthcare, and you see scums with millions in suitcases, and you have the power to steal this to save a kid, wouldn't that super tempting. wouldn't the moment of weakness when we fall into the wrong side excusable, and in which proportion

Good question! And that's why Miami Vice was so interesting. Nothing was black or white. Moral dilemmas were a part of every plot. I love this episode, too. And I love the scene when she's being loaded onto the ambulance and she tells Crockett he would have done the same if it was his kid. And you can see the conflict on his face. 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I totally agree with Tommy Vercetti on the shootout at they end, it was great. So good it felt like Montoya was going to get the better of Sonny.

One of the toughest shootouts for Sonny for sure.

So true. I just watched it and it was the closest I ever saw to him being killed. And DJ showed the fear so well!!

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 10:51 PM, mjcmmv said:

So true. I just watched it and it was the closest I ever saw to him being killed. And DJ showed the fear so well!!

Its the fear factor you mentioned, Sonny knew he was in real trouble.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

Good question! And that's why Miami Vice was so interesting. Nothing was black or white. Moral dilemmas were a part of every plot. I love this episode, too. And I love the scene when she's being loaded onto the ambulance and she tells Crockett he would have done the same if it was his kid. And you can see the conflict on his face. 

yeah and Sonny is troubled too. as he tells her her rights, then he adds i just told you your rights. which is IMO the sign of a bit of confusion

• Like 3

On 8/21/2019 at 4:18 PM, jpaul1 said:

am i the only one to be obssessed with that episode. i mean the rope that woman is walking on is so tight. what would we do if we had our kid slowly dying, and basically the power to save him. this is something that obssesses me with that episode.the difference between black and white is quite hard to see in that episode. actually the real question i'm asking to myself each time i watch it, it's is it possible. and i can't answer to that question. i mean personnally i wouldn't do it. but if you are a woman, in the 80s with no healthcare, and you see scums with millions in suitcases, and you have the power to steal this to save a kid, wouldn't that super tempting. wouldn't the moment of weakness when we fall into the wrong side excusable, and in which proportion

On 8/21/2019 at 4:49 PM, mjcmmv said:

Definitely enjoy this episode! First time I saw it, I wasn’t that impressed. But seeing it several times over the years, and truly dissecting/digressing it, it’s become one of my favorites of the season. This one definitely has a noir style and feel to it! :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Definitely enjoy this episode! First time I saw it, I wasn’t that impressed. But seeing it several times over the years, and truly dissecting/digressing it, it’s become one of my favorites of the season. This one definitely has a noir style and feel to it! :thumbsup: 

It’s a good un!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...