Episode #65 "Knock, Knock...Who's There?

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

This one was similar to Season 4's "Badge of Dishonor" which I thought was a better ep.I give this one a 7.

I liked this episode. IA always tries to label Crockett as a dirty cop. I think they are envious of the freedom & goodies he has access to. He is always true blue. That's why I like MV. The shootout at the end was cool with Montoya weakly releasing his gun. Izzy was funny as usual & I find I need his comic relief. I give it an 8 for good dramatic acting & an interesting story.

Guest neworder

I’m finding this hard to rate because there are some good aspects to the episode but my overall feeling just prior to the end shootout was that I was bored. The intro is good, Montoya is played very well, the artist music is ok but Jan Hammer’s is just recycled and the shootout at the end is enjoyable and well filmed. However, the way the Linda story is delivered is dull and boring and almost feels empty. I should’ve been feeling sorry for the position she was in but some how I didn’t. Anyway, overall, some good aspects but it was boring in places so, yet another 6/10 for season 3! This is the final episode of Season 3 that can be considered good in my opinion because the next 3 are a total waste of time.

Guest neworder

This one was similar to Season 4's "Badge of Dishonor" which I thought was a better ep.

Definitely agreed with you here Timm525, the music is just too fantastic in Badge of Dishonor.

Episode 65: Knock, Knock, Who's There?This is indeed a very special episode for me, it's not the best, it's not the worst, it's the first, this was the very first episode of Miami Vice I ever saw on TNN (Now Spike TV) back in 2003, it's still a good episode and it has Ian McShane as the main villian, I forget the name of the actress who played the dirty cop in this one but as she is in her many, many appearmances on Murder, She Wrote, she is terrible, still has some style and it's that style that got me hooked on the show.Score: 8

I found this episode to not be that bad, just not very remarkable either. Nothing really jumped out to make it memorable. I liked the fact that there are some great boat yard/marina scenes as of late and I think the scene Where Escabar meets Linda by boat at night, hands her some $$ and next you see the boat leaving and dissappearing into the fogg. The Dire Straits tune in the intro and the Brian Adams song were about it. The Izzy scene was and could have been eliminated as it really brought little to nothing to this one...Had to be tough for Sonny to read Linda her rights in the end though...A six is the best I can do on this one...Mike

My original review 16 August 2007 at 7:10pmI like this episode. I rate it an 8. I like the music in this episode, and I love Sonny and Rico being Burnett and Cooper but also Crockett and Tubbs. I also like the story. It's an exploration of how someone, basically a good person and a law enforcement person, can be tempted and talk themselves into thinking they're not doing anything too bad because they're desperate to get money for their kid. Linda's situation was a lot like Scottie Wheeler's in the pilot except she had never been Sonny's partner and she also had had Chuck's medical expenses. I found it interesting that Sonny was the one being investigated for possible going bad, when it was Linda who was actually behind it, and evidently her boss or their investigation team didn't suspect her at all. Also I found it interesting the way the two different agencies Metro-Dade Vice and DEA Miami section conducted their meetings and the way they looked at the same incident. The music was good in this one. "Ride Across the River" was nice music to open up with the scene in the bar/club where Burnett and Cooper were trying to make a deal with the Drug Dealer Montoya, and the subsequent fake DEA raid. "Heat of the Night" was a good song to use when the other two drug dealers were making their deal and got raided by the fake DEA guys who killed one of them. "Underwater Boys" was appropriate to play when Linda was making her deals with Montoya who was providing the men and money to run the fake DEA raids Linda was diagramming for them She certainly moved in mysterious and dangerous ways. Fashion was also an adequate choice to play in the background when Linda gave Montoya Sonny's file it had a long instrumental and the beat was constant something that would go good with flashing disco lights. The last song being played at the meet at Calle Ocho was also appropriate since it had a Latin beat. Jan's music was good also once again when Castillo catches Stroh taunting one of his detectives we hear a few bars of Castillo's Bushido music (Russian Nights?) The scenes of Montoya being questioned with Sonny and Rico commenting in the observation room were also good. I could feel the frustration of the whole OCB unit but especially of Sonny, Rico & Castillo. Again Sonny isn't content to let things happen that affect him, he's going to help them along, in this case by visiting a friend he hasn't seen in awhile who just happens to be married to a DEA person. I can't make up my mind if Sonny suspects Linda at any point or not. It almost seems after their last meeting before Calle Ocho he does after they compare notes and he finds out her attitude and supposedly the whole attitude of the DEA. It seems that he pointedly tells her that he's going to make her believe it. like it's not really a thought but a passing feeling that stays in the back of his mind, one he doesn't want to really think about or totally believe. The ending is heartbreaking. We have Linda giving Sonny a warning so that Montoya doesn't kill him, but she gets wounded, and after it's all over, Sonny thanks her and they engage in pseudo-friendly conversation, but then Sonny reminds her that people died behind her training, She tries to explain to him that if it was his kid he'd do the same thing. Sonny apologizes to Linda and then reads her rights as he arrests her by the ambulance. The ending conversation brings up an interesting question that they never explored with Sonny. What would he have done if Billy had needed some kind of surgery or procedure that would save his life but if he didn't have it Billy would die? We know what Sonny did when Cait and his unborn baby were killed but we never found out what Sonny would have done if he faced a similar situation to Linda's or Scottie Wheeler's. I'm glad Billy never had that kind of trouble, but I'm not so sure Sonny wouldn't have done something similar to what Scottie or Linda did if Billy's life was involved. 1/22/2010 - Due to being extremely busy this week, I haven't seen this episode since the above review. I'll have to get back to you on my current thoughts. When I do, I'll vote in the poll.

• 3 weeks later...

I give this episode a decent 7. It was intriguing how one DEA agent could engineer a phony raid team cleaning out every dealer they come across. Although her heart was in the right place, Agent Linda Colby's methods were still just as crooked as Esteban Montoya's. And in the end she was brought down.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was a great episode, for many different reasons..There was some great music in this episode. In fact every single song used in the episode was a classic.Great shot of the Miami Beach police department during the conversation with Crockett, Tubbs, and Castillo at the beginning of the episode.Great to see a great versatile British actor, Ian McShane taking a lead role. At the time, during the 80's, he was appearing in both US and British productions. This was quite unusual at the time, although now for actors this appears to be quite commonplace.I also loved the fact that JH used the same spooky music that he did from "Tale of the Goat".Liked Castillo's stare at Strohe, and the fact that he ignored him when Strohe said "excuse me, Leutenant".The end shootout sequence was one of the best Vice shootouts I've ever seen, particularly the fact that DJ (not a stuntman) did that great slide under the cart, took out one of Montoya's hencemen, then immediately got back up on his feet again.Other notable points...Brian's Doctor also played the judge who presided over Leon's case in "Brother's keeper".A major goof in this episode I thought was the fact that Crockett (whilst pretending to be Burnett) answered the phone to Montoya at his own desk in the middle of a police department! All it would take would be for Montoya to hear two cops shouting cop related business to each other in the background for him to immediately make Crockett for a cop. Surely the very fact alone that a career drug dealer like Burnett answered the phone whilst obviously at a desk in an office was suspicious in itself!I thought Crockett's response to Colby's statment "you would have done the same if it was your kid, Sonny" was interesting. He never answered the question. The silence spoke volumes i.e there were obviously certain situations where Crockett would cross the line if necessary. If he was 100% righteous, then he would have openly disagreed with Colby when she said this. Also DJ's acting showed that Crockett was obviously uncomfortable with this question and was avoiding it. I thought DJ's acting was particularly good during this scene as his final words "do you understand these rights" were obviously poignant for Crockett. Notice how DJ swallows and then looks like he's fighting back emotion. Again, we witness another instance of Crockett seeing his darker shadow mirrored back at him from another cop, much in the same way he did with Artie Rollins in "Heart of Darkness". Again, more echoes of what was to come when he later succumed to the dark side in "Mirror Image".8.5 out of 10 from me.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Elizabeth Ashley= Scotty Wheeler is a Dress!Crockett being grilled by the Rat Squad Yadda Yadda Yadda!Oh well, there was a brief action sequence, set to Bryan Adams.5/10

• 4 weeks later...

I liked it they used Bryan Adams heat of the night.Loved this song even before it was featured on vice.Hes a canadian singer and did well.

• 1 year later...

One of my favorites of S3. Elizabeth Ashley as the DEA agent was awesome. I felt so bad for her situation with both her son and husband and was genuinely rooting for her but we both no it wouldn't end well. Ian McShane was great as always. 9/10

• 8 months later...

This was a somewhat sad, but understandable (for Linda) episode. However, it's one that to me is okay...but nothing that special.Elizabeth Ashley (Linda Colby) is a good actress, and has done a lot in her career. However, I felt she looked way too old for the part she was playing! She looked like she could have been her husband Chuck's mother...and her 8 year old son Brian's grandma. ;)Also...the lady seriously needed to lay off the cigarettes! :rauchen: She practically had a deeper voice than Crockett's cigarette-induced "gravel". :p She's still alive and acting today...so I hope by now Ashley's given up smoking. The colors and lighting again were awesome--love the neon green against the buildings (like they used in "Lend Me an Ear") and the neon pink hallway at the end--where Crockett chased Montoya down, was superb! :clap: Also, the alternating pink and teal flashing lights in Montoya's club was very "MV"! :glossy: I also loved the music in this one...as always Jan Hammer's themes were perfect! But, even though most here have gone on about Bryan Adams song (Heat of the Night) used in the episode...my favorite song was Underwater Boys by Shriekback! That was an awesome, captivating song and a perfect one for any episode of "MV"! :radio:Ride Across the River by Dire Straits was pretty cool too. Izzy was freakin' hilarious as the whacked-out, still-mannequin/mime thing, in the tidied tights suit, with the purple punk wig! :) :) What the heck?? :rolleyes: "Love" the butt-wipe, Internal Affairs Stroh's receding hairline that he tried to compensate with a mullet. That looked stupid even in the 80's! :)But, the plot and how the episode was carried out was somewhat "empty" or "dry". I don't know...it just didn't quite come across like I think it was intended to. It's not a terrible episode...but not a great one either. I gave it a 6.

way too old for the part she was playing! She looked like she could have been her husband Chuck's mother...and her 8 year old son Brian's grandma. ;)Also...the lady seriously needed to lay off the cigarettes! :rauchen: She practically had a deeper voice than Crockett's cigarette-induced "gravel". :p She's still alive and acting today...so I hope by now Ashley's given up smoking. The colors and lighting again were awesome--love the neon green against the buildings (like they used in "Lend Me an Ear") and the neon pink hallway at the end--where Crockett chased Montoya down, was superb! :clap: Also, the alternating pink and teal flashing lights in Montoya's club was very "MV"! :glossy: I also loved the music in this one...as always Jan Hammer's themes were perfect! But, even though most here have gone on about Bryan Adams song (Heat of the Night) used in the episode...my favorite song was Underwater Boys by Shriekback! That was an awesome, captivating song and a perfect one for any episode of "MV"! :radio:Ride Across the River by Dire Straits was pretty cool too. Izzy was freakin' hilarious as the whacked-out, still-mannequin/mime thing, in the tidied tights suit, with the purple punk wig! :) :) What the heck?? :rolleyes: "Love" the butt-wipe, Internal Affairs Stroh's receding hairline that he tried to compensate with a mullet. That looked stupid even in the 80's! :)But, the plot and how the episode was carried out was somewhat "empty" or "dry". I don't know...it just didn't quite come across like I think it was intended to. It's not a terrible episode...but not a great one either. I gave it a 6.

Nope...still just a 6. ;)

• 10 months later...

The episode is a sleeper for me. It's never made my personal "faves" list, yet all these years later I still watch it occasionally. As time has passed, my opinion on S3 has softened. I still think it lacks some of the cinematic sweep of the first two seasons -- more interiors, shots looking "boxier" (a great example is the Calle Ocho finale scene, in which all the extras are packed into a relatively tiny space. In the past, they would've had a ton of extras filling up all corners of the screen as far as the eye could see), and an overall flatter look. A lot of the outdoor scenes here still look shot on a soundstage. But it's a strong story, with strong guest star performance.

I, too, noticed that the actress playing Linda had a voice ravaged by cigarette smoking. The smell of stale smoke almost wafted off the screen. If not mistaken, her wheelchair-bound husband was played by the same guy who played another beleaguered husband -- Mr. Barbara Carrow from S1's "One Eyed Jack."

The episode is a sleeper for me. It's never made my personal "faves" list, yet all these years later I still watch it occasionally. As time has passed, my opinion on S3 has softened. I still think it lacks some of the cinematic sweep of the first two seasons -- more interiors, shots looking "boxier" (a great example is the Calle Ocho finale scene, in which all the extras are packed into a relatively tiny space. In the past, they would've had a ton of extras filling up all corners of the screen as far as the eye could see), and an overall flatter look. A lot of the outdoor scenes here still look shot on a soundstage. But it's a strong story, with strong guest star performance.

I, too, noticed that the actress playing Linda had a voice ravaged by cigarette smoking. The smell of stale smoke almost wafted off the screen. If not mistaken, her wheelchair-bound husband was played by the same guy who played another beleaguered husband -- Mr. Barbara Carrow from S1's "One Eyed Jack."

Good point about the boxier cinematography in this episode and some of the later Season 3 episodes.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The ending to this one always gets me. It's so tragic to think of her family left with the son needing major surgery and a husband incapacitated...

• Like 1

• 10 months later...