Ferrariman

Episode #65 "Knock, Knock...Who's There?

Matt5    1,919
Matt5
16 minutes ago, TheGreatMcCarthy said:

One of my favorite Vice episodes. Top 15 for sure. Great acting and drama.

Some good points - the show was less glossy here in late Season 3 - early 1987 and I liked the look of this episode. Sure ratings were falling and the producer's knew it .

But this feels like early 1987.

:D

• Like 1

Remington    127
Remington
On Monday, May 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM, ViceFanMan said:

This was a somewhat sad, but understandable (for Linda) episode. However, it's one that to me is okay...but nothing that special.Elizabeth Ashley (Linda Colby) is a good actress, and has done a lot in her career. However, I felt she looked way too old for the part she was playing! She looked like she could have been her husband Chuck's mother...and her 8 year old son Brian's grandma. ;)Also...the lady seriously needed to lay off the cigarettes! :rauchen: She practically had a deeper voice than Crockett's cigarette-induced "gravel". :p She's still alive and acting today...so I hope by now Ashley's given up smoking. The colors and lighting again were awesome--love the neon green against the buildings (like they used in "Lend Me an Ear") and the neon pink hallway at the end--where Crockett chased Montoya down, was superb! :clap: Also, the alternating pink and teal flashing lights in Montoya's club was very "MV"! :glossy: I also loved the music in this one...as always Jan Hammer's themes were perfect! But, even though most here have gone on about Bryan Adams song (Heat of the Night) used in the episode...my favorite song was Underwater Boys by Shriekback! That was an awesome, captivating song and a perfect one for any episode of "MV"! :radio:Ride Across the River by Dire Straits was pretty cool too. Izzy was freakin' hilarious as the whacked-out, still-mannequin/mime thing, in the tidied tights suit, with the purple punk wig! :):) What the heck?? :rolleyes: "Love" the butt-wipe, Internal Affairs Stroh's receding hairline that he tried to compensate with a mullet. That looked stupid even in the 80's! :)But, the plot and how the episode was carried out was somewhat "empty" or "dry". I don't know...it just didn't quite come across like I think it was intended to. It's not a terrible episode...but not a great one either. I gave it a 6.

I have the same exact thoughts on this episode. It ain't a bad episode. I just have no desire to watch it for a while.

• Like 1

ViceFanMan    198
ViceFanMan
1 hour ago, Remington said:

I have the same exact thoughts on this episode. It ain't a bad episode. I just have no desire to watch it for a while.

Yeah, the colors and the songs would be the only reasons to see it again...which I'll be doing fairly soon as I'm going through the show again. 

ViceFanMan    198
ViceFanMan
On 5/14/2013 at 0:39 AM, ViceFanMan said:

This was a somewhat sad, but understandable (for Linda) episode. However, it's one that to me is okay...but nothing that special.Elizabeth Ashley (Linda Colby) is a good actress, and has done a lot in her career. However, I felt she looked way too old for the part she was playing! She looked like she could have been her husband Chuck's mother...and her 8 year old son Brian's grandma. ;)

Also...the lady seriously needed to lay off the cigarettes! :rauchen: She practically had a deeper voice than Crockett's cigarette-induced "gravel". :p She's still alive and acting today...so I hope by now Ashley's given up smoking. The colors and lighting again were awesome--love the neon green against the buildings (like they used in "Lend Me an Ear") and the neon pink hallway at the end--where Crockett chased Montoya down, was superb! :clap: Also, the alternating pink and teal flashing lights in Montoya's club was very "MV"! :glossy: I also loved the music in this one...as always Jan Hammer's themes were perfect! But, even though most here have gone on about Bryan Adams song (Heat of the Night) used in the episode...my favorite song was Underwater Boys by Shriekback! That was an awesome, captivating song and a perfect one for any episode of "MV"! :radio:Ride Across the River by Dire Straits was pretty cool too.

Izzy was freakin' hilarious as the whacked-out, still-mannequin/mime thing, in the tidied tights suit, with the purple punk wig! :hippie: What the heck?? :rolleyes: "Love" the butt-wipe, Internal Affairs Stroh's receding hairline that he tried to compensate with a mullet. That looked stupid even in the 80's! :eek: But, the plot and how the episode was carried out was somewhat "empty" or "dry". I don't know...it just didn't quite come across like I think it was intended to. It's not a terrible episode...but not a great one either. I gave it a 6.

Okay, this was my review a few years ago. I re-watched this one last night. For the most part I still stand by my review...but for some reason I got more out of the episode this time--perhaps it was the margarita I was drinking? :cheers:  But, only one and I had food along with it, :). However, this time "Knock, Knock" came across as more of a film noir type of episode to me. Despite the colors I mentioned in my original review above, there were many "dark" aspects as well (both figuratively and literally)--and more night scenes than some of the other episodes. There are other "dark" episodes of the series, by all means, but this one just seemed to focus more on the tragic-conflict aspects...which is very much film noir--there's a conflict or tragedy and some or all of the main character/s do things that we can identify with...but know they're the wrong or bad choices & ultimately the outcome is not going to be roses & candy...all amongst a dark & shadowy background/backdrop.

I guess today you have to refer to "film noir-ish" things as neo noir...and in MV's case it'd probably be a neon-noir. :p  But, the tragedy behind Linda's motives makes them totally understandable...but you also know nothing good would eventually come of it, and she'd ultimately face the consequences for her choices. I'm probably reading way too much into it this time around, but for some reason the whole film noir style just really stuck out to me, whereas in times & viewings past this episode never really resonated much with me. Probably because I never really paid that close attention to this one before (one I had going while maybe doing something else at the same time).  Oh well...still not the best episode of the season, but by no means the worst either! :thumbsup: I guess for me, I just discovered a new way of looking at this one.