Episode #64 "By Hooker By Crook"

Ferrariman

they weren't married at the time. They didn't reconnect until the end of 1988. Don had a relationship with Barbara Streisand during 1988.

Melanie and Don remarried in the summer of 1989

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AzVice said:

they weren't married at the time. They didn't reconnect until the end of 1988. Don had a relationship with Barbara Streisand during 1988.

That's right, I do remember reading they re-married in 1989...so this episode was probably a good year and a half to two years before that. However, I wonder if they were "together" some of the time anyway. I did not know Don was ever with Barbara Streisand--but then I didn't really care about his love life, when growing up I was more focused on "Gina". =):p  However, I'll be honest and say I've never been a huge Streisand fan...and I just can't picture those two together?? ?( Although their second go-around didn't last either, I still think Melanie Griffith was WAY better!

I saw Don on one of his late-night guest appearances (think it was David Letterman) around the time that this ep aired (but I have watched the clip on YouTube in the past year or so) and he said that he and Melanie had always remained friends and had had "romantic interludes" since their 1976 divorce.  He said they had been looking for a good part for her to do a guest spot on MV and that the part of Christine had looked good for her.

Melanie had recently come out of a tough time, going through rehab with Don's encouragement and support shortly after that Working Girl finished filming.   

Not 100% sure when he and Streisand got together but believe it was (at least) a few months after this show aired.  I never could see that pairing either, but I must say his statements about Streisand and their friendship were always 100% class.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AzVice said:

Streisand and Johnson actually had a song in the top 40 in the fall of 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRBDAQ4DPXM

Interesting...don't really remember this song, but then again it wasn't my style of music, LOL (somewhat "elevator-ish" and easy listening in my opinion), I was 12 in 1988, and again I'm not a big Streisand fan. :p However, she does have a good voice, and so does Don!

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:54 PM, AzVice said:

As I recall, he dumped Barbara and got back with Melanie.

48 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

I thought he was with Melanie in 1987 as they filmed "By Hooker,," but then I remember him being with Barbra in 1988?:hippie:

From the "impressions" I've gotten, I think Don and Melanie (besides the obvious times they were actually married) were on & off a lot...even when they were supposedly dating other people. ;)  But, who knows. :cool:

• Like 1

I watched this episode last night. I always notice how he looks at MG like he does at no other love interest before or after in the series. 

Great script, great music, great shots, great guest stars, great ending...one of the best episodes of the series IMO. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

From the "impressions" I've gotten, I think Don and Melanie (besides the obvious times they were actually married) were on & off a lot...even when they were supposedly dating other people. ;)  But, who knows. :cool:

I have also had the same impression.  I think they had been in each others' lives for so long (even in the '80s) that it felt natural to be together.  Melanie was so young (14 when they met and she apparently immediately decided he was the one).  Don at least was somewhat alone in terms of family in L.A., and when his mom passed away from cancer after he had done everything he could for her, I'm sure Melanie was there for him.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were off and on.  I've never seen any statements from them that would make me think either of them was "cheating" with the other during another relationship.  If so, I have to respect that they kept it under wraps.  While I understand their second divorce was messy, and Melanie went immediately into the relationship with Antonio Banderas, they seem to have a good relationship now and their children seem to spend a lot of time together.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I watched this episode last night. I always notice how he looks at MG like he does at no other love interest before or after in the series. 

Great script, great music, great shots, great guest stars, great ending...one of the best episodes of the series IMO. 

I thought so, too. 

• Like 2

On 13/05/2013 at 6:07 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I love this episode...a very "deep" but tragic one for Crockett! The plot, acting, colors, fashion, action, etc...were awesome, and very well done! :thumbsup:I especially love special guest-star Melanie Griffith...who at the time was Don Johnson's real-life wife! :happy: They actually were married and divorced twice, and have a daughter together. They actually first met when she was just 14, and he was 22. He was starring in one of Melanie's mother's films (Tippi Hedren) called "The Harrad Experiment", and was introduced to Melanie during that time. Tippi Hedren is probably best known for the Alfred Hitchcock film she starred in--"The Birds".Another tie-in with this "MV" episode and "The Birds" is that guest-star Veronica Cartwright also played the little girl in "The Birds"...with Melanie's mother Tippi. So, they probably all knew each other. The guest-cast in this episode was very eclectic, but fascinating! You have Vanity, Veronica Cartwright, and professional wrestler Capt. Lou Albano made the perfect psycho hit-man--while original "Star Trek's" George Takei was an interesting but deadly crime boss. He loved his fish...and his sushi! :pI just really enjoyed Don and Melanie together and they seemed to have natural chemistry...it showed! It's too bad they couldn't make it work...but Hollywood is Hollywood. ;) They later starred together in the 1991 film "Paradise"...also starring a very young Elijah Wood!I loved Melanie's silver dress at the beginning...very 80's and she was beautiful! :happy: I also love some of the action--and the scene with Crockett and Tubbs sitting in Tubbs' Caddy talking, then suddenly this screaming guy falls right beside them from like 5 stories up is wild! Love Crockett's facial expression when that happens. :eek: I also love the gun fight at the end, with Christine (Griffith) getting to shoot Togaru. :thumbsup:Izzy was goofy and bizarre as usual...but I loved the pink and teal color scheme in his sex photography studio. Very "MV". ;) Crockett's line, calling him "Hispanic Hugh Hefner" was hilarious! :) Loved how Izz pronounced the word "hooker"...elongating out the short o's, making it sound like "hooooker". :pI also loved the music in this :radio: ...with the continual Crockett's Theme in multiple scenes along with the other Jan Hammer tunes, Split Decision by Steve Winwood was superb during Sonny and Christine's love scene while poor Ali Ferrand is getting murdered by 'ol Capt. Lou--his eyes bulging out in sick pleasure :sick:, and the song Holding Back the Years by Simply Red was the perfect song for the sad ending where Crockett and Christine know they have to part ways for good. :cry:But, this is one more episode that showcases what horrible luck with girlfriends Crockett has! :rolleyes: I found it interesting that he refers back to his former girlfriend Dr. Theresa Lyons in this, with the line: "First a junkie (which was Theresa) now a hooker (Christine). I've been in the business too long...I'm starting to fall for the players."Overall this one is one of my favorites with season 3 and I gave it a 9! :D

Great review :hippie:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Great review :hippie:

Thanks! I don't know why some of the "Elvis" (alligator) emoticons don't show up as they did when I 1st posted the review? Some do and some don't. I've noticed that on lots of posts. ?(

2 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Thanks! I don't know why some of the "Elvis" (alligator) emoticons don't show up as they did when I 1st posted the review? Some do and some don't. I've noticed that on lots of posts. ?(

Are you on your phone? I always get the emojis  on my laptop but not so much on my phone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Are you on your phone? I always get the emojis  on my laptop but not so much on my phone.

Sometimes yes...sometimes I'm on my laptop at home. On my laptop all emojis (that show) are of the alligator...but on my phone some show as an old standard yellow smiley-face. However, looking back over posts in the past, sometimes (whether on my laptop or phone) no emoji appears, and it's just the "wording". Example:  : cry :  or : clap : , instead of the actual emoji and/or emoticon. When I quote one of my old posts for a new post, I usually will go back in my old post and re-add or fix the emoji. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

• 7 months later...

A long time ago I owned the Broken Homes cassette with 30,000 feet (and another good song not in vice--"I'll be Wearing Blue"). I've checked Amazon, iTunes, and google searched a ton to try and find a quality mp3 or CD of this song. Anyone out there have this and/or know where to find it?

• Like 1

That's awesome, thanks.

There were so many great songs on Vice but back during its original run there was no official guide or even credits letting people know the song names or artists. On the plus side, I was (still am) big into alternative/college radio, from which Vice pulled a lot of music in the 3rd & 4th seasons (I actually had Jesus & Mary Chain's "Darklands" album before Vice used "Nine Million Rainy Days" in God's Work).

Anyway, point is there was noway to know who sung what week to week. But, one of the local music stores had this big book of song titles and artists. So if I heard a song I liked, I went to the music store, went through that book and tried to find the tune. Sometimes I guessed the title of the song, sometimes I could guess the artist based on the voice or style. Still, each cassette I special-ordered was a risk. I got lucky with songs like Underneath the Radar and several of Yello's tracks used on the show. But at the same time, i was convinced that "Best Adventures" (I didn't know the title at the time) was something by Sisters of Mercy or David Bowie. Sometimes I got it all wrong and ended up with cassettes by Alien Sex Fiend or John Waters that had no vice tunes on them. I wanted Peter Himmelman's climb like crazy, but didn't know the title or the artist until the internet came along and Vice sites listed that information. 

One last funny story on music: a few years ago I'm sitting at the dinner table with my wife and kids and on comes "In the Air Tonight" on the radio. I turn to my wife and say "this song was in a Miami Vice". It's sort of annoying game I play with her whenever I see an actor or hear a tune that was in Vice, I turn to her and say something like "That guy playing the lawyer? Yeah, he was in a Miami Vice." Well this time she snapped: "This song was popular long before Miami Vice. No one cares that it was on that show, no one even remembers this song for that!" So the song ends and the DJ comes on and says: "That was Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight,' that was made popular when it was featured on Miami Vice!"

She didn't say another word all night. Just sort of glared at me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Campion said:

That's awesome, thanks.

There were so many great songs on Vice but back during its original run there was no official guide or even credits letting people know the song names or artists. On the plus side, I was (still am) big into alternative/college radio, from which Vice pulled a lot of music in the 3rd & 4th seasons (I actually had Jesus & Mary Chain's "Darklands" album before Vice used "Nine Million Rainy Days" in God's Work).

Anyway, point is there was noway to know who sung what week to week. But, one of the local music stores had this big book of song titles and artists. So if I heard a song I liked, I went to the music store, went through that book and tried to find the tune. Sometimes I guessed the title of the song, sometimes I could guess the artist based on the voice or style. Still, each cassette I special-ordered was a risk. I got lucky with songs like Underneath the Radar and several of Yello's tracks used on the show. But at the same time, i was convinced that "Best Adventures" (I didn't know the title at the time) was something by Sisters of Mercy or David Bowie. Sometimes I got it all wrong and ended up with cassettes by Alien Sex Fiend or John Waters that had no vice tunes on them. I wanted Peter Himmelman's climb like crazy, but didn't know the title or the artist until the internet came along and Vice sites listed that information. 

One last funny story on music: a few years ago I'm sitting at the dinner table with my wife and kids and on comes "In the Air Tonight" on the radio. I turn to my wife and say "this song was in a Miami Vice". It's sort of annoying game I play with her whenever I see an actor or hear a tune that was in Vice, I turn to her and say something like "That guy playing the lawyer? Yeah, he was in a Miami Vice." Well this time she snapped: "This song was popular long before Miami Vice. No one cares that it was on that show, no one even remembers this song for that!" So the song ends and the DJ comes on and says: "That was Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight,' that was made popular when it was featured on Miami Vice!"

She didn't say another word all night. Just sort of glared at me. 

I do that as well lol.

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...

I love this episode...a very "deep" but tragic one for Crockett! I’m lucky enough to have a copy of the original, “full”, version—which was only aired on NBC during the show’s original run, and sadly (like most of the episodes) the syndicated reruns edited & cut it down...and that’s the version used for all the DVD & Blu-ray sets. :evil:

But, the plot, acting, colors, fashion, action, etc...were awesome, and very well done! :thumbsup: I especially love special guest-star Melanie Griffith...who in real-life was married to Don Johnson twice, although ironically I believe they were in-between their first & second marriage when filming this episode.

They actually first met when she was just 14, and he was 22. He was starring in one of Melanie's mother's (Tippi Hedren) films called The Harrad Experiment, and was introduced to Melanie during that time. Tippi Hedren is probably best known for the Alfred Hitchcock film she starred in—The Birds:birdie: 

Another tie-in with this MV episode and The Birds is that guest-star Veronica Cartwright also played the little girl in The Birds...with Melanie's mother Tippi. So, they probably all knew each other. The guest-cast in this episode was very eclectic, but fascinating! You have Melanie Griffith, Vanity, Veronica Cartwright, and professional wrestler Capt. Lou Albano made the perfect psycho hit-man...while original Star Trek's George Takei was an interesting but deadly crime boss. He loved his fish...and his sushi! :p 

I just really enjoyed Don and Melanie together and they seemed to have natural chemistry...it showed! It's too bad they couldn't make it work...but Hollywood is ‘Hollyweird’. :rolleyes: They later starred together in the 1991 film Paradise...also starring a very young Elijah Wood. 

I loved Melanie's silver dress at the beginning of this episode...very 80s and she was beautiful! :happy: I also love some of the action--and the scene with Crockett and Tubbs sitting in Tubbs' Caddy talking, then suddenly this screaming guy falls right beside them from like 5 stories up is wild! I Love Crockett's facial expression when that happens, as it comes across very ‘real’ and believably-shocked. :eek: 

I also love the gun fight at the end, with Christine (Griffith) getting to shoot Togaru. :thumbsup: Izzy was goofy and bizarre as usual...but I loved the pink and teal color scheme in his sex photography studio. Very MV! Crockett's line, calling him "Hispanic Hugh Hefner" was hilarious! :) Loved how Izz pronounced the word "hooker"...elongating out the short o's, making it sound like "hooooker".

I also loved the music in this :radio: ...with the continual Crockett's Theme in multiple scenes along with the other Jan Hammer tunes, Split Decision by Steve Winwood was superb during Sonny and Christine's love scene while poor Ali Ferrand is getting murdered by 'ol Capt. Lou--his eyes bulging out in sick pleasure :sick:, and the song Holding Back the Years by Simply Red was the perfect song for the sad ending where Crockett and Christine know they have to part ways for good.

But, this is one more episode that showcases what horrible luck with girlfriends Crockett has! I found it interesting that he refers back to his former girlfriend Dr. Theresa Lyons in this, with the line: "First a junkie (which was Theresa) now a hooker (Christine). I've been in the business too long...I'm starting to fall for the players." Overall this one is one of my favorites with season 3 and I originally gave it a 9...I’d bump it up to a 10 if I could!

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

Notice the hitman during Melanie G terrible reactionary moment, goes from being American in Asian in a second on the balcony.

This episode hold nothings and what makes season 3 lean towards good or even average. "The Good Collar" days are a memory.

S3 started off so well but there are 6 or 7 poor ones and the season finale didn't fit the bill either.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Notice the hitman during Melanie G terrible reactionary moment, goes from being American in Asian in a second on the balcony.

This episode hold nothing and what makes season 3 lean towards average. The Good Collar days are a memory.

3 started off so well but there are 6 or 7 poor ones.

Lots of shows back then didn’t focus as much on little “background” details like shows nowadays do...so you will now notice goofs, that maybe watching it back then you wouldn’t have. ;)

This episode is definitely a treat & one of the best of the season! However, there were a few others that did tend to show us that the writers were not as up-to-par as they had been in the first two seasons. 

“Walk Alone”, “Red Tape”, and even more so with “Viking Bikers from Hell” & “Everybody’s in Showbiz”...these were either sub-standard or pretty poor/bad ones that could have either been done better...or not done at all! 

But, overall I still like Season 3...still plenty of good episodes. Seasons 4-5 is when the true nose-dive starts. 

12 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Lots of shows back then didn’t focus as much on little “background” details like shows nowadays do...so you will now notice goofs, that maybe watching it back then you wouldn’t have. ;)

This episode is definitely a treat & one of the best of the season! However, there were a few others that did tend to show us that the writers were not as up-to-par as they had been in the first two seasons. 

“Walk Alone”, “Red Tape”, and even more so with “Viking Bikers from Hell” & “Everybody’s in Showbiz”...these were either sub-standard or pretty poor/bad ones that could have either been done better...or not done at all! 

But, overall I still like Season 3...still plenty of good episodes. Seasons 4-5 is when the true nose-dive starts. 

I understand that are going to be goofs but that was plain sloppiness or laziness from the production team, I mean the shooter is Asian then America, what? how ?

The goofs I have noticed in general don't bother me, like one of the crew members being seen in "The Great McCarthy" or Tubbs stunt double in the Daytona arriving at OCB or him appearing as Tubbs in DFTCP2 but that was comical. 

In season 3 they did things that I didn't like particularly camera wise, the sped up shootouts and car/boat chases looked naff. Enrique Bravo Sr filmed the show so much better, he was a big miss.

Please don't get me wrong, I do think season 3 has numerous great episodes and it is a good season but I do think that there are too many average episodes.

Edited by RedDragon86

On 6/21/2017 at 8:48 PM, MrsEvanFreed said:

As I recall, he dumped Barbara and got back with Melanie.

I read that he was having a relationship with  someone while filming in Toronto or somewhere while supposedly with Barbra and she heard about it and flew up there and confronted him and it said he offered her a "non-monogamous marriage"! She then told him to sling his hook and I don't blame her. I suspect one of her attractions was that she was rich and influential. When asked to describe her "in three words" on a later TV interview, he said "Funny, funny, and funny." Hardly very flattering.