My Vice Moment

Dadrian

• 11 months later...

Recently I lived in Paris for more than 2 months and even though it’s such a wonderful city, I was all alone and sometimes I was homesick.Early March, around 6.30pmI had just left the office, it was already dark outside; the ice-cold air hit my face with strength, but it also gave me a much needed sense of relief. I was alone walking down a city center street, thinking about what to do next: eat something or go back to the hotel room that was my home. My mind was filled with so many thoughts of my family and friends, this made me feel even more alone and I decided I wanted to keep walking.I took my cell phone and in few seconds “You belong to the city†was playing in my ears, giving a sort of reason why to my wandering walk.I listened to it repeatedly and soon my heart was lighter: I was still walking, but my steps were no longer heavy, I looked around and smiled to myself, it was like a dream.I was suddenly brought back to reality when I realized that I was on the sidewalk, my arm raised trying to stop a taxi that I didn’t even need! :)Like in “Prodigal Son†the taxi didn’t stop and when I realized what had happened I paused the music, deeply inhaled fresh air and started laughing all by myself.You have no idea how I wanted that moment to last forever.

Really good post Pandina... It's just great when we have those Vice moments, it's like a secret little members club that only we know about ; ) as we go about our day smiling inwardly at all the Vice references...

Recently I lived in Paris for more than 2 months and even though it’s such a wonderful city' date=' I was all alone and sometimes I was homesick.Early March, around 6.30pmI had just left the office, it was already dark outside; the ice-cold air hit my face with strength, but it also gave me a much needed sense of relief. I was alone walking down a city center street, thinking about what to do next: eat something or go back to the hotel room that was my home. My mind was filled with so many thoughts of my family and friends, this made me feel even more alone and I decided I wanted to keep walking.I took my cell phone and in few seconds “You belong to the city†was playing in my ears, giving a sort of reason why to my wandering walk.I listened to it repeatedly and soon my heart was lighter: I was still walking, but my steps were no longer heavy, I looked around and smiled to myself, it was like a dream.I was suddenly brought back to reality when I realized that I was on the sidewalk, my arm raised trying to stop a taxi that I didn’t even need! :)Like in “Prodigal Son†the taxi didn’t stop and when I realized what had happened I paused the music, deeply inhaled fresh air and started laughing all by myself.You have no idea how I wanted that moment to last forever.[/quote']Love this little story, Pandina! :DYou know..... YOU belong to the city......;)

Recently I lived in Paris for more than 2 months and even though it’s such a wonderful city' date=' I was all alone and sometimes I was homesick.Early March, around 6.30pmI had just left the office, it was already dark outside; the ice-cold air hit my face with strength, but it also gave me a much needed sense of relief. I was alone walking down a city center street, thinking about what to do next: eat something or go back to the hotel room that was my home. My mind was filled with so many thoughts of my family and friends, this made me feel even more alone and I decided I wanted to keep walking.I took my cell phone and in few seconds “You belong to the city†was playing in my ears, giving a sort of reason why to my wandering walk.I listened to it repeatedly and soon my heart was lighter: I was still walking, but my steps were no longer heavy, I looked around and smiled to myself, it was like a dream.I was suddenly brought back to reality when I realized that I was on the sidewalk, my arm raised trying to stop a taxi that I didn’t even need! :)Like in “Prodigal Son†the taxi didn’t stop and when I realized what had happened I paused the music, deeply inhaled fresh air and started laughing all by myself.You have no idea how I wanted that moment to last forever.[/quote']One word, AWESOME! :thumbsup: Might be the best vice moment yet! That is absolutely something I would have done.BRAVO, PANDINA! BRAVO!

I had two small but good Vice moments today:1. Was blasting satellite radio while cleaning up the house. "You Belong To the City" came on.2. Just watched the local news. There was a story on the police department in Newport Beach. Part of the story was about how low the crime rate in Newport is, leading the reporter to say it's more "Newport nice, instead of Newport Vice."I thought that was pretty good.

I had two small but good Vice moments today:1. Was blasting satellite radio while cleaning up the house. "You Belong To the City" came on.2. Just watched the local news. There was a story on the police department in Newport Beach. Part of the story was about how low the crime rate in Newport is' date=' leading the reporter to say it's more "Newport nice, instead of Newport Vice."I thought that was pretty good.[/quote']Things like that make me happy. If you keep your ears and eyes open, you can spot these things. They are so fun! :thumbsup:

I had two small but good Vice moments today:1. Was blasting satellite radio while cleaning up the house. "You Belong To the City" came on.2. Just watched the local news. There was a story on the police department in Newport Beach. Part of the story was about how low the crime rate in Newport is' date=' leading the reporter to say it's more "Newport nice, instead of Newport Vice."I thought that was pretty good.[/quote']You really do have a lot of vice moments, CharlieGlide!:)Always love reading your little stories. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had my MV moment this past saturday.I was in a Poker Run up in Belleville Ontario on the Bay of Quinte. There were 43 boats and being in the pack of all those go-fast boats and jumping the wake and going 100mph, made me think I was in the episode "The Great McCarthy"I had a blast and it was a perfect day. The run was 81 miles long and weather was perfect!Couldn't have been more Miami Vice like if I tried!

Well I had my MV moment this past saturday.I was in a Poker Run up in Belleville Ontario on the Bay of Quinte. There were 43 boats and being in the pack of all those go-fast boats and jumping the wake and going 100mph' date=' made me think I was in the episode "The Great McCarthy"I had a blast and it was a perfect day. The run was 81 miles long and weather was perfect!Couldn't have been more Miami Vice like if I tried![/quote']Sounds AWESOME, Stinger390X! :glossy:Tell me, did you have 'Born To Be Wild' playing in your head, at any point? :D:radio:

Just playing it over and over in my head...especially Russ Ballards "Voices" as well!Was going so fast and there is no windshield, so can't hear stereo even if boat had one! The wind was in my face at over100mph so it made me loose a few freckles and I lost my double chin back in Belleville somwhere, but I had a blast..Doing it again next week at the biggest event in North America at the 1000 Island Poker Run in Kingston. Boats come from all over the country as well as the States.I love the start out of Kingston Harbour. All the boats take off full blast and make a heck of a wake and it reminds me of the start on the Great McCarthy where Sonny is fighting the wake to position himself in smoother waters. The episode is very realistic to the real thing.Check us ut on Youtube under "Belleville Poker Run" It's about three minutes and I am in the yellow Spectre Cat.

• 5 years later...

I eating out this weekend and I saw vermicelli on the menu.  Immediately the sound of Al Lombard saying "vermicelli" popped into my head.  I was thinking it was in "Lombard" when he cooks for C&T, and, sure enough, that was it.

Anyway, that reminded me I was neglecting my pals here at the forum, so I'm back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

I eating out this weekend and I saw vermicelli on the menu.  Immediately the sound of Al Lombard saying "vermicelli" popped into my head.  I was thinking it was in "Lombard" when he cooks for C&T, and, sure enough, that was it.

Anyway, that reminded me I was neglecting my pals here at the forum, so I'm back.

I think of that every time I see or hear that word, too. 

• Administrators

So true! So many times, when I hear certain keywords like "vermicelli" for exmaple, it instantly reminds me of the scene where someone says it. :) 

12 hours ago, airtommy said:

Good to see you back .

When you have time I’d like your opinion on the ‘music video’ set to “What is Life” from The Big Thaw. This was previously undiscovered. It’s my post at the bottom of page 3. Jim, Tom and I all think it’s a match so would be good to get your opinion also.

Edited by Matt5

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps my best Vice moment was in Miami two years ago after we were eating at Ocean Drive. It was raining so we moved quickly under the umbrellas and didn't really look at the buildings. Just decided to stay at a place to eat. Table was on the sidewalk and under umbrellas, the porch was covered with plywood and somehow I didn't notice or pay attention to the name printed on the menu.

The Vice-moment became afterwards when we were back in our hotel. I looked at the receipt and the name of the place hit me: Carlyle Café. Dang, and I was sitting near to THE streetcorner !!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One of the last balmy late summer nights here in Germany, and I decided to take a little detour coming home from the grocery store in my little old convertible. And found myself going down some main roads here to "In The Night" by Russ Ballard. Well, we may not have palm trees along the main roads here, but sycamore trees aplenty that also look quite nice. Worked for me to recreate that scene. Minus the excessive speed that Tubbs lays down in that scene, of course. And I usually try not to have sparks flying off the underside of my car when going over a bump... :)

And then on the home stretch, I put on "In The Air Tonight". It's just a divine feeling when you are zipping down a city street at night in an open-top car under the street lights and with that song blaring on the stereo. I have to remind myself not to go too crazy with the volume knob each time the drums kick in on that song. :) :p And I occasionally find myself wondering if the people on the sidewalks will make the connection... people my age, probably. The younger ones, who knows.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 3

that's for sure my favorite driving song, and i always crank it up, although more often than not i hear it during the day which is a little different.

well I have to be careful because I've installed a sound system in my car that's not really all-out high end, but can still pack a punch, at 4x50 watts in a small two seater. It's got a Kenwood head unit with a remote control with ample DSP and bass and loudness settings so that you really don't need a separate amp at all. Anyway, one time, I was standing 30 feet behind my car and turned it up with the remote to about a level at which I sometimes listen to music in it with the top down, and it was like, whoa... I don't want to seem like a 20-year-old boy racer coming around a corner in my car... :)

You sometimes forget how loud your car radio can still be from 30 feet away when you're listening to a song and really getting into it... :p

Edited by Daytona74

My vice moments belong to the past. But once in a while I enjoy to play the role.

Time ago I had to go to a depot to buy a couple of long wood sticks I needed for a DIY work. The guy at the depot wanted to sell me some fine wood, expensive ones. I told him, I don't need quality stuff, it's going to be covered, I'm looking for something cheap. He said we just have these ones, I said ok. Then the guy accompanied me to my car bringing the sticks for me and saw me opening the roof.

So he went like: "Hey man, with such a car,  you're asking for cheap stuff??!". And I said: "That's not mine, they allow me to use it because of my job". He said: "Whaat? And what kind of job is it?" and I - while starting the engine, looking in his eyes thru my wayfarers: "I'm not allowed to tell you". The guy stared with a silly face as I could see him in my rearview mirror. Too funny.

• Haha 3

vor 30 Minuten schrieb Jerry B.:

He said: "Whaat? And what kind of job is it?" and I - while starting the engine, looking in his eyes thru my wayfarers: "I'm not allowed to tell you".

Ah yeah, that old line... :)

I used to work in politics, at times even for very well-known political personalities. One time, I asked a bodyguard (state police special unit) if their client ever got to leave his house without them following him everywhere he went. And she, a woman, said "I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you!". With a look on her face like this was no joke at all to her... :p