Episode #63 "Red Tape"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...
Guest neworder

Red Tape is a good episode. PMT did a very good job; probably his best performance in the whole series and it’s nice to see him actually getting a good episode centred mainly on his character. The episode was filled with nice action, nice scenes (for instance when Crockett reverses the Ferrari just a little into the water so he could spin the tired and splash the water up to make it look cool) and Jan hammer's music was good but in places a little repetitive. The story in this episode is unique for Miami Vice and it’s very strong. However, the Alan Parsons Project song at the end was poor and I don’t think it fits the final scene very well and therefore ruins what would have been quite a good shoot out. So therefore this episode is very good but the song at the end ruins the ending for me 8/10

Red Tape is excellent. A stellar episode. Firstly, the intro is fantastic. I absolutely love it. Excellent use of a great location, the actors were excellent and the song ('Best Adventures' by Thinkman) is fantastic. One of the best intros of the series. The rest of the episode pretty much lives up to it. This is a very good and high quality ep with a taut and very well written storyline. Excellent performance by PMT. He really does a great job carrying the episode. He was very convincing. You really believed he had turned bad but it was all an act to ensnare MacIntyre. Good guest stars. Scott Plank was good and Annette Bening was beautiful. Lou Diamond Phillips was good too. Early role for Viggo Mortensen too. Lovely scenery in this ep. I really like the climatic shootout at Dania Beach but I’m not overly enamoured with the song in that scene. They say that it's is a mile past Kendall. It’s actually north of Miami, near Fort Lauderdale. It’s a long way from Kendall.Overall, one of the best Tubbs episodes and one of the best eps of S3. 9/10

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 2

When I first saw Red tape yrs. ago, I was in shock! Rico, a dirty cop! This time, I knew he was under cover but It still SHOCKED ME. Especially when he threw the ash tray into the glass cabinet. This is PMT's episode all the way. Good support from Castillo & Switek. This is also a very sad episode. The death of the two young cops going for Sergeant, Rico's disgust with the department, & Crockett's disbelief that this was the same Rico who was his partner for 3 yrs. Good thing we were let in on the game they were playing to find the leak in the department. There was a question on the other site as to whether only Castillo & Tubbs setting this undercover scenario or were the others in the OCB let in on the scam or was Tubbs really angry & Castillo used it to put Tubbs undercover? My wife even commented on Sonny's clothes matching the surrounding buildings & also Tubbs'green jacket. The best his pink tie matching the garbage pail! I liked the brick wall in front of the building they first entered, the Nemo Hotel : flesh color at the base then white, then several shades of blue- green, beautiful! At the boat yard, Crockett in blue jacket & white pants stood out among the old boats that looked like an abstract painting. The ending was the saddest when Rico said Diaz died thinking he was a dirty cop, & then placing his badge on the body, saying he earned it. I would watch this episode many more times & I give it a 9 !

• Like 2

Episode 63: Red TapeGlad to see other fans of the episode!:cheers:This is a fantastic episode, this is actually the last episode they showed on SLEUTH before it went off air, that was actually the first time I saw this amazing episode.Miami Vice is a show with powerful climaxes, from the first episode the series has always had a final battle with the criminal that puts most film endings to shame, this episode has a very powerful one as a revenge-seeking police officer dies thinking Tubbs went dirty and a dirty cop commits suicide on the docks, Philip hs always been a cool cat throughout the series and shouts rarely but here he displays raw rage as he acts crazy and smashes the glass cabinet, to be honest, if I hadn't seen the episodes following this one, I wouldv'e said halfway through this episode I think this may be Tubbs swan song from the series, luckily it wasn't but it makes you wonder if people who watched this episode when it first aired had that going through their mind as they see Tubbs appearing to go through a disturbing change.This is an amazing episode, if they ever want to make a best of Miami Vice DVD collection, this episode has to be in there, I give it a 9.
  • Like 1

fantastic episodethis is one of my favorite episodes with one of the most powerful endings...have to disagree with new order...alan parsons was P E R F E C T ...

My original review of Red Tape 02 August 2007 at 7:26pmThis is another one of my favorites from Season 3. I give it a 9. Finally Tubbs gets a decent episode where he's the principal character. We still have supporting roles from the rest of OCB, but it's clearly Tubbs's episode. I like the way they started this episode (even if it didn't look like it was 5 AM). Diaz and Trumble playing a little catch with a football, and generally passing time with each other while they waited for Crockett and Tubbs to show up. The brief teasing between the two teams of partners reminded me of "Cool Running" when everybody was on the boat teasing each other. In fact Diaz and Trumble remind me a lot of Jake and his partner from that episode. It's still pretty light hearted when Rico tosses the coin to see who would climb the stairs and go up with the two rookies. Again we have Sonny's excuse of his bad knee bothering him. But after everything hits the fan you don't see Crockett having any trouble taking the SID guy upstairs. Also everything turns serious. The music was interesting in this episode. We had recycled Jan Hammer music which immediately made me think of the earlier seasons. Also the first song (Best Adventures?) Was indicative of the music being used in third season, but they got the timing spooky in when Eddie puts his shoulder to the door, the lyrics are saying "This is where we say goodbye" Boom. It was where we said goodbye to Eddie. "Money Talks" was very appropriate for playing at the OVO where Tubbs went to try and get in touch with a Loan Shark, and where Glen tried to talk to him about the deal to make some money. (Was that Jerry's Famous Deli?" The interior, doors, and the building looked like it.) "Closer to Heaven" was somewhat appropriate since Diaz was going to die and Glen was going to die. Anyway it made a good song to accompany all the slow mo shooting and action. When I first saw this episode I really thought Tubbs had quit and was going bad! Now as I watch it knowing what's going to happen. I was watching for other things mainly how his colleagues reacted. What I've come up with was that Castillo put Tubbs on special assignment even without Crockett's knowledge. It seems to be a plan which would be implemented the next time a warrant was leaked. Tubbs immediately starts his rant, and Castillo acts like Tubbs is really being in-subordinate. It's obvious that Sonny thinks that Rico's Freaked and just needs to take some time off. So this plan must have been on a need to know basis. At the beginning Sonny really thought he was going to lose his partner. The look on his face when Tubbs throws down his badge and tells Castillo that he quits. From the conversation at the police station you can tell that Crockett is almost stunned! He really looks hurt when Tubbs says he doesn't have a partner anymore, and when Rico leaves and he talks to the uniform. Also at OCB when Tubbs is cleaning out his desk and talking to Sweitek it's obvious that Stan doesn't know anything about it. It's just those two. they weren't performing for anyone so I think Stan really didn't know. Also at the OCB strategy meeting where they're told that the bomb squad was having a second shift on call, and asking about Tubbs status. None of them know. In fact when Sonny learns that Tubbs is on suspension pending dismissal he walks out a second before Castillo dismisses them. Equally obvious is that by the time they're raiding the warehouse the whole OCB gang knows that Tubbs is on a case and is just pretending to have quit and be dirty. We find this out when Trudy tells the DEA guy that there wasn't much time between the time that Tubbs told them and the guys rigged the gun and then the police had to re-rig the gun with blanks. Crockett knows by this time, as you can tell he waves away a metro dade officer who's going to check on the DEA guy. If he did he would find out that the guy was OK. We find out for sure that everyone is in on it including Crockett when Trudy and Gina are trying to get the source to tell them where Mac took Tubbs. We also know for sure that Crockett knows because he's called in to try and get there in time to trail Tubbs after Tubbs calls Castillo to tell him the meet time has changed. Also Sweitek mentions that everyone is ready and no one wants to let Mac cop a plea to give his source up. Unfortunately they never told Diaz because he clearly thought that Rico was dirty. I guess the reason they never told him was because he wasn't one of the regular OCB detectives yet. I like the ending where Rico and Sonny reconnected after every thing went down, and Sonny was trying to comfort Rico. I also liked the way Castillo said to Rico to take off as much time as he needed. It was also a nice gesture for Rico to give Diaz his gold shield, although I often wondered when he got it back. I liked the Miami scenes in this: The street and the NEMO hotel colorings, the Marina, the OVO club scene and again the ware house scene. I also thought it was amusing that Annette Benning's character was involved with someone who reminded me of a young Warren Beaty.1/8/2010 - I haven't really changed my mind about this episode, except I think Crockett may have been told about Tubbs' undercover gig after he got to OCB possibly after he walked out before Casatillo dismissed everybody. Maybe Marty pulled him aside so Crockett woudln't interfere accidentally causing a mishap.

• Like 1

9 outta ten for me. I loved this episode and it took my like six viewings to discover It was Viggo(eddie) in the beginning. I also loved that song played in the intro-both the Hammer tune and the one where the three are going up in the building when the door explodes. Who did that one? Very powerful tune, indeed. Is it really that sunny in Fla at 5:30 AM? Loved Lou's '68 GTO and lots of the Testa in this episode as well. I liked some of the views Michael Mann uses in this episode too. He took advantage of the evening sky in a shot and the balcony scene with Mac and Annette. Stunning. Another is the first time we see the 'bad guy's'(sorry couldn't really catch his name and it escapes me right now) boat-thru the palm tree trunks, across a yard. The boat here happens to be a Trojan Ten Meter which were new in the Vice era and literally put the boating world on it's ear, yet it's not much by today' standards. I also love the use of the old boat yards used in season three as well. I also actually believed Tubbs was gonna walk the wild side from here out if I didn't know better and then it all comes together. The color, music, style and the whole story made this series start to turn a corner and become spectacular. Yeah, the previous episodes were good, yet they're really picking up and all the little things are in place. Great guest stars and another CLASSIC MV episode here!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:...Mike

I brand this episode with a 9. It was very involving throughout. Depicting Tubbs as a vice detective tired of being expendable and looking for more lucrative opportunities. He was so convincing that even a detective coming up believed he had gone over. A sad ending to finish though.

• 1 month later...

Another solid Season 3 episode.This had a great intro. I love the "Best Adventures" song, and the scene that goes with it. What I like is the fact that the episode begins so laid back, and then suddenly the tune kids in just when you don't expect it. I've been to this spot, which is on the corner of Collins Avenue and 1st street, way down Miami Beach, almost at South Point. The Nemo Hotel is now the Nemo restaurant. That courtyard immediately in front of the arches is now a seating area for diners. What stuck in my mind was how much smaller that street corner looks in real life than on tv.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=collins+avenue,+miami&sll=53.566414,-4.042969&sspn=10.998054,28.081055&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Collins+Ave,+Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida,+United+States&ll=25.769779,-80.134039&spn=0.000966,0.001714&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=25.769869,-80.134018&panoid=sGGNCIFNTvG3WVhGXg5RvA&cbp=12,299.65,,0,-7.73I like how Tubbs didn't take any bull**** from that woman at the Justice department. She was seriously asking for it as well. Way to go Tubbs!Another one of my favourite scenes is the "Money talks" nightclub scene. I love the song and the whole atmosphere of it. This club is now Jerry's famous Deli on Southbeach (Thanks to DanJ for that information).Notice how in the scene near the end where you see Switek in the Bug Van, the scene seems to have been reversed. The digital clock is displaying a backwards display!The only problem that I have with this episode is how Tubbs' deception was played out. It's not clear when exactly Tubbs' deception was made aware to the rest of the team, but it's clear from Crockett's face that in the scene where Tubbs throws in his badge, Crockett had no idea at this point. I accept that Tubbs may have been creating a scene at the justice building for show, followed by his subsequent conversation with Crockett, but was there any need to keep up the pretence with Bobby??? Surely, Bobby was one of the last people that anyone would have expected to have been the leak. And apart from anything else, by this point Tubbs had already established that the leak was Macintyre!, plus, if Crockett and Tubbs' conversation shortly after Tubbs had been arrested was all for show, then was it really necessary to go through all that acting just for that one cop in the room who might possibly be dirty? Alternatively, if the scene was genuine, then did Tubbs really think that Crockett could also potentially have been the leak? The fact is that the scriptwriters made a deliberate attempt to make it appear throughout the episode that Tubbs had gone off at the deep end, and not only had resigned but also appeared to now be turning into a dirty cop. That way, the viewer is hooked into the episode thinking "wow, surely Tubbs can't be resigning?, cos then there'll be no Miami Vice! Surely Tubbs can't be turning into a dirty cop!? Better stay watching so I can see how this plays out". In this way I thought the storyline was disjointed and can be split into two halves, the part before the scene in the ambulance, and the part after, and both parts contradict one another and do not fit together easily. For that reason, this episode loses points for me.Interesting dialogue between Crockett and Tubbs at the end. This is one of the first times you start to hear them start to get seriously disillusioned with the outcomes of what they are achieving. These are the first cracks that begin to show in their belief in the system.I'll talk more about this one later, but for now the episode gets 8 out of 10 from me.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I gave this episode an eight.I was really, really looking forward to this one after accidentally on purpose reading the episode summary on a website--it sounded really good on the screen, and I wanted to see how Rico suddenly turning from Vice affected the partnership between Crockett and Tubbs.On that front, I was not disappointed. The reaction to Tubbs throwing his badge down is great from Sonny, and how he instantly follows him ....oh how I wish we could see what was said (I imagine Tubbs just stormed off and Sonny gave him time to cool off like he does in "Calderone's Demise Part Two". And then there's the scene in the interrogation room, which broke my heart-I love how Tubbs said "I don't got any partner any more", and the way Sonny simply stares at him, swallows and looks away. Also thought it was touching that Sonny stumbled over the word "partner" when saying 'been my partner for three years"-almost like he was going to say "buddy" or something of a similar vein instead.Great to see PMT getting an episode of his own, and his performance was excellent-I knew that he could not go bad, but was still on edge when he smashed the glass and was generally quite shouty...not very Tubbs at all!BUT! I have a major issue with this episode, which is why it loses points. Is it just me, or was the explanation that Tubbs was actually undercover just very sudden and blunt? One moment, we believed he was bad, and the next Gina and Trudy were on the ambulance saying that he was actually undercover. Thought that the main point of the episode (or one of them) came about very quickly, and I actually missed it, so caught up was I in the fact that Tubbs was bad and I wanted him to come to his senses!Still, it comes in my top ten favourite episodes, mainly because I liked the dynamics of C&T, but also because the ending, as usual, had me sweating as I thought Tubbs might have ended up injured.Eight out of ten!

• 1 month later...

I'm not as enamored with Red Tape as you guys are, but it's one of the better offerings of S3.Nowehere near on par with excellent ones like Down for the Count, Walk Alone or Forgive Us Our Debts. But Citizen Kane compared to turds like Theresa, The Afternoon Plane and When Irish Eyes Are Crying.Lou Diamond Phillips: Normally I like him, but he was hella annoying in this one. In hindsight, feel that Viggo shoud've gotten his role.Anyway you got a great bad guy, nice action packed finale set to a great song Along with an overall solid turn by PMT.R.I.P. Scott Plank6/10

I Gave it a 10I thought at first that Tubbs had quiet very convincing and Sonny made it that way also.Loved the scene when Rico tossed his badge saying he quits and the look on Sonny's face and then When Sonny tells Tubbs he will lend him the money and Tubbs says he going to go back to New York and he made no difference and Sonny says it makes a difference to him Tubbs is his partner.Then Tubbs says I don't have a partner.I like these types of scenes with them together the concern.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

WOW awesome! Gave it a 9! What an ep! Really had me wondering for a while whats happening with Tubbs! Sittin on my sofa I actually ducked when Rico started screaming, boy was he pissed! I think it was all real: Rico being so pissed, quitting, wanting to leave, trying to get his money.. I think it changed when he was approached by McIntyre. That's why Rico grabbed him outside the club in the alley because he realized then that he is the leak and he grabbed the opportunity. I believe he informed Castillo and Crockett right before or right after he met with McIntyre for the first time. So it all makes perfect sense for me :-)I liked the music and I really like the brick wall around the hotel. If I ever have a brick wall I will paint it that way :DI didnt realize thats Viggo, gotta watch it again! Will watch it again many more times anways. And I don't remember it being so bright und sunny at 5.15am in Miami, as far as I recall the sun came up around 6?! Anyway, great job by Tubbs, and also by Sonny (poor guy was really helpless at first when it Tubbs was losing it):thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

8/10

I always thought "Closer to Heaven" was a perfect fit for the ending. It's a great scene and great song... one of the best and most emotional shootouts in Miami Vice. McIntyre was a good villain and the young guy who played him was very sharp actor.This is my second favorite episode of the 3rd season (after Forgive us our Debts). 9/10.

• 1 year later...

I know several here really like this episode...but it's really not one of my favorites. The first time I saw it I really thought Rico had gone over the "edge" and had flipped out! :eek: Of course I knew that somehow Crockett and Castillo would have to "save" him before he truly went over. But, then we find out that it was all part of the plan, and Tubbs' undercover role.However, the two young cops trying to make sergeant getting killed, and Lou Diamond Philips (who I think is an awesome actor and always love seeing him in stuff) dying thinking Tubbs truly was "dirty" was sad, depressing, and even angering. :cry: :evil: They should have at least had Tubbs get to let Diaz (Diamond) know he was really still good and it was all a set-up, before he died! :thumbsdown:The music, fashion, and colors on the buildings were cool! :cool: I love the Nemo Hotel, and the multi-aqua and teal colors on the outside brick walls. The "boy's" clothes seemed to match and/or coordinate with the colors of the Nemo's rooms or their surroundings...I love it when they do that! :D This was definitely a Tubbs episode...and I do think PMT did a superb job! :clap: That scene of him smashing that ash tray through the glass case was wild! :eek:But, other than those few aspects I just don't really care for the plot, and I thought this one was too depressing at the end. I gave it a 6.

• 1 year later...

Really enjoyed this one - the casual opening at 515am Miami Beach and the funny dialogue with C&T and young cops . The "Best Adventures" song is fantastic . :D  :fireworks:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Very great episode, one of the best of season 3. Have to agree with all the others, that this episode had an amazing intro and great use of all the actors. PMT handled this episode very well, and the shocker that all of it was an act really hit you. First time I watched this, I really thought he had gone over to the other side. Lou Diamond Phillips as a guest star was amazing. His young character is all about rage and he surely delivered. Great episode regarding dirty cops and very well acted. I give this one a 9 out of 10. 

• 1 year later...

Another great one. One of my favorite PMT performances. Especially the scene at the bank. He really did shock me when I first saw it.

Love the locations.

Really like Lou Diamond Phillips. Although to me he'll always be Chavez.

The opening was good.

The end was pretty sad.

The slow motion deaths at the end were kinda cringeworthy.

The plot of Tubbs going to the dark side would've been better if it was the season finale.

9/10

• 1 year later...

Just watched this episode again. I will also give this a 9 out of 10. Why not 10? Two factors: It was stupid to have Tubbs' name in the computer for the Warrant of McIntyre. SInce he was undercover and that deal was so decisive surely they could have managed to bypass the computer system for that time or at lest leave out Tubbs name (though that still would have caused suspicions about him). The other factor was the song at the end.  Like previous comments mentioned that song pretty much sucks. I mean it was an OK fit with the lyrics and all but emphasis on OK. We want good or great!  The song especially didn't work with the slo-mo scenes of the two cops dying. (Though these scenes were cool in themselves!) And geez, the song just kept on dragging....there were so many other great songs during the series that should have deserved more airtime and of all the songs they picked this one? Naaaaah.....

To end this on a positive note: PMT's performance was stellar! That was actually indeed oscar or grammy worthy. You really think he went over the edge for real. And even though it sems a bit over the top at first it actually has realism to it - because god only knows when a good cop can snap! Because he just had too much. Crockett surely was there a couple of times. 

• 4 months later...

The Jan Hammer music at the opening of the episode, where Crockett and Tubbs pulls up in the Ferrari is what I'm interested in. I know there are several of his songs released and easily accessible on You Tube. But this particular song is one I have been after for a while. It's also been in other episodes besides this one, and like Croclkett's Theme has a different version as well.

Does anyone know the name of it or where/how I can find it?

Thanks.