Boating Mags ~ OPT Races 1990

DJAngel

F.y.i.I read that Don won Offshore World Cup in 1988 something to be proud of!Also, Don had a scarab fitted with the lastest (at the time) Corvette ZR-1 engines(also made by Mercury Marine) instead of the regular Merc engines, quite exotic.

• Administrators

Another great article!! I've seen some of the photos before but not the article. Great stuff! DJAngel, you must have a treasure chamber at home :clap::thumbsup:

Another great article!! I've seen some of the photos before but not the article. Great stuff! DJAngel' date=' you must have a treasure chamber at home :clap::thumbsup:[/quote']Treasure chamber :happy: DJ was a busy guy making the most of his success and ability to pursue interests beyond acting. I treasure those memories and memorabilia.

Offshore racing loses a pioneer racer..I just found this article..Key West, Fl - 3/24/2008 Offshore racing looses a pioneer racer, Al Copeland of the famous original Popeyes Famous Fried Chicken passed away on March 23, 2008 in Munich, Germany from complications of salivary gland cancer.http://www.superboat.com/news.cfm?action=view&id=60

• 1 year later...

WOW!!!Nice find there DJ and Marilyn as well. Where did you manage to find these classic mags?

I got the magazine at local shops during that period of time.

I have a DJ collection from the time I was a idolatrous teenager...I'm still a big fan but now I act a little less silly I hope!:D

Me too, but some people would say I'm still silly:D

I just read your story about your trip.Great story. He really sounds friendly and I think it is great he remembered you!Must haven been great to see those boats racing!

We were lucky to see Don 3 times in 87, 88, 89 when we went to Miami to see filming of MV. Also saw filming of 'Dead Bang' in LA, and 'Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man' in LA, and visited the set of 'Nash Bridges' few times, and watched Don golf in the 90, 92, & 95 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-AM Tournaments. I have posted most of our trip stories here on .ws, if you want to do a search and read about them and see our trip pictures. Enjoy;)