Episode #62 "Lend Me An Ear"

Ferrariman

On 8/30/2020 at 11:14 AM, Jack Gretsky said:

I agree with TylerDurden389 that Lend Me an Ear feels like classic Season 1 and/or 2 Vice. (Except, alas, for the absence of Diehl's Zito.)  John Glover is a live wire as he often is in movies like 52 Pick-Up and The Chocolate War. (I crack up at the near-surreal shot of Duddy side by side with his own TV image, both faces laughing hysterically.)  It's funny that a Bruce Willis track is used here - just two seasons earlier he was an up and comer in "No Exit." By 1987 he was a TV star, recording star, and just embarking on his career as a movie star. (I think Blind Date was his first starring film role?)

I quite like the climactic battle - all of those colors!  Talk about neon noir!  And Trace, Dykstra's ill-fated trophy gf, is another candidate for sexiest woman ever in Vice. 

My review from last year.  I'd like to add that the opening boat chase is exhilarating (for me, not necessarily for the fictional characters involved - although Tubbs looks like he's enjoying it!) - and I find endearing the overacting woman when the boat crashes onto the street.  She looks like she's in a windstorm staged in a silent film.  But, yeah, this does feels like a season 1 or 2 episode that was held back until 1987.  And I love it!  After a few too many lackluster S3 eps, this one is a joy.  A pity that Glover couldn't return for "The Big Thaw." 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking back on my post I was way too harsh.

It's a good episode with the return of the season 2 premise.

7.5/10.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

This is one of my all-time favorite episodes of Miami Vice (actually its a tie between this one & Tale of a Goat & The Great McCarthy) .

Everything is just perfect. I consider the scene at Dykstra place where the team is planting bugs to be the pinnacle of Vice cinematography- just breathtaking. Also, being a security obsessed paranoid myself I can relate to the character of Duddy This episodes feels like a compressed remake of the Conversation, which, quite unsurprisingly, happens to be my favorite feature film of all times. But I digress...

Edited by Viceguy
  • Like 2

I agree with most of RedDragon86's points except for Duddy.

I know guys like him and he captures the smart,paranoid and yet juvenile persona perfectly.

I love the way this episode is shot: The night scenes especially with the seedy green colours. Then at Duddy's house with the change of colors as he plays cat and mouse with Dyskra's hitmen.

And Jan's score really shines in this one. Okay, it always shines:) .

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

I agree with most of RedDragon86's points except for Duddy.

I know guys like him and he captures the smart,paranoid and yet juvenile persona perfectly.

I love the way this episode is shot: The night scenes especially with the seedy green colours. Then at Duddy's house with the change of colors as he plays cat and mouse with Dyskra's hitmen.

And Jan's score really shines in this one. Okay, it always shines:) .

I love this episode! John Glover is amazing & the character of Duddy is bizarre, but fascinating...you’re supposed to hate him, yet you end up rooting for him despite his playing both sides of the proverbial fence. 

The colors, lighting, locations, action, etc...are amazing! I enjoy this one every time around! :dance2:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

Pretty good episode. And I'm really curious about that gadget Duddy uses to fry the bugs! 

It takes 1.21 jigawatts :) 

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
15 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

One thing I never understood was why did Dyksra kill McGregor?

Been a while since I’ve watched this one…but, I think it might have been out of paranoia. Dykstra knew he’d been bugged at one point & he was being watched and/or under surveillance. Maybe Dykstra suspected McGregor of double crossing him? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Been a while since I’ve watched this one…but, I think it might have been out of paranoia. Dykstra knew he’d been bugged at one point & he was being watched and/or under surveillance. Maybe Dykstra suspected McGregor of double crossing him? 

That would explain it, one of my friends had said the same thing last night.

The way he killed his girlfriend was pure madness.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

That would explain it, one of my friends had said the same thing last night.

The way he killed his girlfriend was pure madness.

Yeah, Dykstra shot Trace because that so-called lie detector machine Duddy had, supposedly said she was lying about sleeping with one of the bodyguards or some other guy working there.

To blatantly shoot her in front of Duddy & everyone in broad daylight was pretty crazy…that showed how paranoid & “mad” he was!

Plus, any kind of so-called lie detector machine is never 100% accurate, nor completely trustworthy. That’s why they’ve never been allowed in court. It’s ridiculous that law enforcement even still uses that technique…too many innocent people have “failed” them for various reasons, and too many guilty ones have figured out ways to “pass” them. It’s “junk” or bad science!

Dr. William Moulton Marston (aka Charles Moulton) was an American psychologist who helped originally create the lie detector test. He later used the same “idea” when he created the first female superhero…WONDER WOMAN!

He used the idea with her magic golden lasso, as people were forced to tell her the truth when she lassoed them with it. It was cool for the comics, and later with Lynda Carter on TV in the 70s =), but ultimately in reality it doesn’t really work. ;)

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2