Episode #62 "Lend Me An Ear"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

I really enjoyed this ep. It was cool to see the surveillance equipment Duddy used and how in the end he more or less helped the team. I gave this one a 9.

• Like 1

There are things I like about this ep. The episode starts excellently with a great speedboat chase. Some gorgeous waterway shots there. And I also really like the scene where they have lunch at Big Fish Restaurant. Great location. And I also liked the re-use of the Sunset Island house that was also in Evan and Little Miss Dangerous.Some top notch Jan tunes but I didn't like any of the songs used.

Duddy I didn't care for. I thought he was a bit annoying and was a Hank Weldon rehash. Overall a good episode with a good script, location and good shootout. I also liked the use of colours in this episode. The pinks and greens. Overall good. 7/10

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

The glamor & style of Miami Vice is back! This is one of my favorite Vice episodes. It has all the elements of a true Miami Vice, enjoyable, episode. We see some of the back portions of Miami homes along the canal, although at a very fast pace as C & T chase another speedboat. What a climax as the guy can't make the turn & his boat flies out of the water onto the street. Spectacular! Sonny is wearing some really cool & colorful outfits in this episode. There is a lot of the old MV humor in this one with Izzy's funny word combinations & especially with the things Duddy says. I always enjoy Duddy sweeping Dykstra's house & dancing to the beat of "Respect Yourself"! Lots of glass-block wall in this house. Interesting colors as the vice team plants the bugs in Dykstra's house. Good shootout at the end. I wished Duddy wasn't such a turncoat, selling his expertise to the drug dealers. I like when Tubbs told him, " Got a call, Doctor! I rate this an 8.5 since I always enjoy watching it!I rated this a 9 for the poll. I wonder why they made Izzy have a cold ....unless he really had one & had to write it into the script! :sick:

Guest neworder

Season 3 at last takes a break from being mediocre for this episode and the next episode. This is a terrific episode and one of the best of Season 3 along with El Viego and Forgive Us Our Debts. Jan Hammers score is top notch on this episode right from the word go. Its ery, ambient and has a suspicious feel to it and goes well with the story in this ep. The story itself is very original, nice to see a fresh idea compared to a couple of other season 3 episodes. Duddy is a brilliant character and adds a lot of charm and wit to this episode. The stand out scene in this episode has to be where Crockett/tubbs/switek infilatrate dyxtra's house to plant the bugs. Peter Himmerlmans song is brilliantly placed in this scene. The shots of the scarab is short and sweet and its a really well done scene. The rest of the episode is consistanly good and enjoyble. I must however criticise the editing and speed up in the intro, looks cheap, tacky and isnt really required. Shame really, this scene stops the ep from being a true great although its still very close to that. 9/10

I really like this one...starts with a nice boat chase in the beginning and I just love the entire part with the Peter Himmelman song and of course jan hammers awesome tracksgave this epi 8/10

I love this episode...Great homes and that colorful style and side of vice is very apparent. I had that 'trust fund pirates' feeling with the intro and thought Jackson was gonna pop outta the plane for a second and that boat chase was awesome, blemishes or not. I'd have loved to have done that!! Lovely homes and some great eye candy at Dykstra's...Diddy had an awesome pad considering he used to be a cop, yet sweeping must pay better than I thought. Refreshing storyline as this is an ep I can watch over and over...I gave this one a 9...Mike

My original review of Lend me an Ear 26 July 2007 at 10:01pmThis is one of my favorites in Season 3 for many reasons. I rate it a 9. I like the story and the way the various side plots dovetail into the main plot. Sonny's money troubles (too little) contrasted with the drug dealers' money troubles (too much) Duddy being used for Vice surveillance, but also for sweeping the bugs for the very person Vice is trying do surveillance on. The music used were good choices and I enjoyed Jan Hammer's music as always. Music use: The first song: Be My Enemy had a nice beat that complemented the boat chase action. I love this scene where we see the various water ways. I always cringe when Lucardo's boat gets out of control and lands in the middle of a street! I've often wondered why Sonny and Rico weren't using the scarab, and have come to the conclusion the Scarab was too big and wouldn't have fit the scene too well. The second song. Respect yourself was a good choice. And I loved the way the camera sort of did the shots of the glass bricks in time to the beat of the song. I also like Duddy's little dance on the stairs. It's obvious he's enjoying his work. Contrast this scene later on when he's sweeping after Sonny, Rico and Stan have bugged the place. He's serious about it, but is in a dilemma as he recognizes the bugs he rented to Vice. The third song Little Man within (7 deadly sins) is a good song for Sonny and Rico going to meet Duddy. And kind of illustrates the characters of this episode. Everyone is at the mercy of the 7 deadly sins, or at least a few of them. I especially liked the choice of the song (was it Climb?) used during Sonny, Rico and Stan sneaking around and planting the surveillance bugs at Dykstra's house Illustrated the actions of the three Vice men very effectively. (I kept picturing someone being very quiet and stepping slowly but silently) My husband commented that finally Sonny was wearing dark clothes for this kind of work instead of his light colored clothes. But really would anyone really have noticed that piece of art being jostled? It looked like it was in the same place as it was but Dykstra noticed it had been moved immediately although his employee didn't. We get an idea of Dykstra very early in this episode. It's evident that he doesn't have much respect for other human beings. He treats his girl friend as a plaything emphasized by having a model boat go under her spread legs, her legs acting like an over hanging bridge. Then he calmly shoots her because she hasn't been truthful. He also seems to whack the people he's converting Cash for. Izzy tells Sonny and Rico that Lucardo's demise wasn't an accident, and Dykstra shoots McCarther? too. We find a little bit about Sonny's circumstances as he's trying to get a loan for a 1984 IRS audit and fails, because he doesn't have any credit history, uses Cash most of the time, and doesn't have enough collateral as everything the department pays for except the undershorts! Makes me wonder what in the world caused the IRS to audit Sonny's 1984 tax return. He was still married to Caroline for part of that year. This episode had an equal amount of night shots and day shots and I liked that a lot. The episode is somewhat dated as we see Duddy cutting and splicing tape together from a reel to reel tape recorder. I liked both Duddy's house and Dkystra's house. I also liked the way Stan and Sonny play on Duddy's paranoia at the end of the episode and the fact that it was mentioned in a conversation they had with Duddy earlier in the episode1/5/2010 - I still like this episode, but as I mentioned before the scenes where Duddy was editing the tape to get it be heard the way he wanted it, was really dated. Compare that to a Burn Notice episode (3rd episode season 1 disc 1) where Michael is doing essentially the same kind of thing but using a computer and a modified cell phone! however dated the technology the idea still holds up. In both cases the object was to manipulate a phone calls and get rid of the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

I give this episode an 8. It had a much different twist though, featuring an ex police wire tap expert who aides the Vice squad and sweeps for a criminal outfit at the same time. The ending was particularly supenseful. And Sonny's image on the monitors gave it a somewhat eerie ending too, lol.

• 1 month later...

I thought that this was another solid Season 3 episode. Great first scene. Some good suspenseful JH music at the beginning, following another one of his guitar riffs (he does the same thing during the boat scene in "Mirror Image", in which he also used the same musical score throughout the episode). The only prolem I had with the initial boat chase was that they did what a lot of film and television does when they are trying to convey the impression of high speed without actually travelling at high speed, they speed up the film. This didn't convey the impression that C+T were travelling at High Speed, it just looked like the scene had been speeded up!Another reason for me liking this episode is that the bad guy shares my name!I think the whole "IRS audit for '84" issue was used to reinforce the fact that Crockett didn't own any of his expensive possessions. The media always used to ridicule Vice for apparantly showing detectives living an expensive lifestyle when clearly they had never watched an episode and did not understand how being an undercover cop in the series worked.There was also a lot of great music in this episode. The "Climb" scene was a great scene. Although I don't believe for one minute that Dykstra would have noticed his statue move a fraction of an inch over night.What made me laugh was how Crockett and Tubbs immediately go into combat mode just because Duddy's door happens to be open, and there was no answer from his house. Did it not perhaps occur to them that he might been subathing round the back in the garden, and had just not bothered (or forgotten) to close the front door?Notice Dykstra's heavy climbing the stairs and the the guy that falls down the stairs after Crockett shoots him are two different people? I realise that the second guy was a stunt man, but they could have at least tried to use a stuntman that looked like the first guy!What I'd like to know is how Dykstra found out that Duddy was playing both sides of the fence? Also Why Dykstra killed McGregor? Presumably it was just a straight rip off? Thirdly how and why did the DA let Duddy off!? He was one lucky guy!i'll give this episode 8 out of 10.

• 2 months later...

A weird but nevertheless fun and exciting episode. John Glover is fantastic as the "bug" expert having a lot of fun in his role as he often does and Yorgo Voyagis is solid as the villain who wind up using the bug expert's tools for nefarious reasons. Great action scenes such as boat chase opener ("Be My Enemy" a good choice of music) and final shoot-out at Glover's house. Also a great and weird finale. Still deserves a 9/10. 

Edited by agent 47
New review due to Blu-ray viewing.

a good episode - solid but somewhat lacking in the top quality of the earlier Season 3 episodes - the boat race at the beginnning was excellent . :D

• 2 months later...

I just watched this tonight. First this is one of my favs from this season as some are saying. I love Duddy's little toys and how he dances around the house searching for bugs and dances around Vice while they are looking for Dikstra (sp)A few things I never noticed that threw me and I don't know why they filmed it this way. First , the green night vision lighting. What was that all about? Was there a reason for that? Does anyone know? Second, the filming of the boats in the beginning you can see the shakiness of them when going fast and it looks very phony for that moment, why keep it and not fix it up a little. I know they can't do what they do today but they could do something. Anyway, I love how Sonny and Steve's relationship goes. How Steve tells them how the side affects of the job is paranoia and then how Swi helps Sonny use it against Steve in the end. oh and the music , excellent ! But again I really loved how Steve acted through out the episode.Oh and gotta love how they re-use people for different characters, in this one they used Lester, the guy that did the bugs and wires in the first season. Then use him in an episode that had bugging in it and then they have him as an ME. lol!And Nancy I love Burn Notice too but Burn Notice is in the 2000's and Vice the 80's, look at how they wired them back then to now too. It is something how tech. has changed. I give this a 9/10 Sue:thumbsup:

I just watched this tonight. First this is one of my favs from this season as some are saying. I love Duddy's little toys and how he dances around the house searching for bugs and dances around Vice while they are looking for Dikstra (sp)A few things I never noticed that threw me and I don't know why they filmed it this way. First ' date=' the green night vision lighting. What was that all about? Was there a reason for that? Does anyone know? Second, the filming of the boats in the beginning you can see the shakiness of them when going fast and it looks very phony for that moment, why keep it and not fix it up a little. I know they can't do what they do today but they could do something. Anyway, I love how Sonny and Steve's relationship goes. How Steve tells them how the side affects of the job is paranoia and then how Swi helps Sonny use it against Steve in the end. oh and the music , excellent ! But again I really loved how Steve acted through out the episode.Oh and gotta love how they re-use people for different characters, in this one they used Lester, the guy that did the bugs and wires in the first season. Then use him in an episode that had bugging in it and then they have him as an ME. lol!And Nancy I love Burn Notice too but Burn Notice is in the 2000's and Vice the 80's, look at how they wired them back then to now too. It is something how tech. has changed. I give this a 9/10 Sue:thumbsup:[/quote'] Nice observations Sue. I too, hated the speeding up of the boats. I hate when they speed up shots of cars or boats. You can easily tell it's sped up. Why do they do this?!!:thumbsdown: It's one of my biggest pet peeves.I too, love duddy, and the episode.Nice call Sue. :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...

Meh...Don't watch this one often, seen it maybe 2-3 times.Duddy came off like a low rent Hank Weldon, not very entertaining.Quite annoying.5/10

Meh...Don't watch this one often' date=' seen it maybe 2-3 times.Duddy came off like a low rent Hank Weldon, not very entertaining.Quite annoying.5/10[/quote'] Ha, I never bothered to compare the two characters, but you're right. The show was beginning to repeat and recycle itself at this point.

This is in my all-time MV top ten. I think of all the S3 eps, it might have the most "classic seaons" feel to it. And as I mentioned in my original review, the use of the green tint in the break-in scene made me think of night vision, adding to the theme of surveillance.

• 1 month later...

I gave this an 8, had a lot of fun watching it! Nice story, something different. I especially liked the use of colors, the green and the very colorful lit up house at the end. Very nice touch, should have done that more often. Will surely watch this many more times. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

My first post!I just saw this episode today for the first time on Centric and thought it was an entertaining episode.I loved how some scenes were shot with full neon lighting which I think is beautifullyshot.A refreshing hour after watching "The Afternoon Plane" which I thought was so-so.8/10

One of my favorites. I have always liked electronic gadgets, it uses the LMD etc house, Big Fish, and John Glover does a good job as Duddy. Despite the murders etc the episode is amusing and has a light hearted touch.