Sign in to follow this  
Ferrariman

Episode #62 "Lend Me An Ear"

MrsEvanFreed
Ha' date=' I never bothered to compare the two characters, but you're right. The show was beginning to repeat and recycle itself at this point.[/quote']Sad part is, John Glover is equally as great a character actor as Bruce McGill was in Out Where the Buses Don't Run. The latter was blessed with a better writen episode.

ViceFanMan

I love this episode! The action was superb with the wild boat chase scene at the beginning--love the song, the 80's TV idea of speeding the camera up to make it seem like something was going faster than it was :) , the boat shooting out onto the highway--yeah, baby! :D I also love the gun battle at the end with Dykstra and his goons trying to take Duddy down. Duddy was hilarious and a "killer" with that shotgun! :eek:Duddy was a very interesting and complicated but witty character...you never quite knew what he was thinking, would say, or would do. The technology for the time was also very intriguing to me in this one...very "I Spy"/James Bond type gadgets. :cool: I liked watching the cat-n-mouse game he played between the Vice squad and Dykstra...although it was also stupid and wrong. ;) I've seen John Glover in tons of stuff over the years...but this has to be one of his best and most enjoyable roles. His dancing to Respect Yourself while "sweeping" Dykstra's house was hilarious! :)I also liked the fashion with Crockett and Tubbs in this, and even some of Duddy's wild shirts. :p The filming locations were pretty cool too. But, one of my favorite aspects to this episode was the colors used! :thumbsup: The wild colors and lighting of Dykstra's house and boat dock were superb! The neon greens and pinks were captivating and mesmerizing! :glossy:The music was good too, love the Peter Himmerlman song, Climb, playing when Crockett, Tubbs, and Switek first bug Dykstra's house! Jan Hammer's tunes were, as always, awesome! :radio:This one was just kind of wild, intense, colorful, and fun! I gave it an 8. :thumbsup:

Viceguy

It is the favorite episode of mine for numerious reasons. I think it can be safely said that this episode is one of the most original MV episodes. I really like that it was focused on the details of surverlance - unusual yet relevent topic.As far as the style goes everything about this ep is simly superb! Especially the lightning used during some scenes. and the music is simply breathtaking . For me, the scene where the Vice squard plants bugs in the Dykstra's house (underscored by Peter Himmelman's Climb) is simply mesmerising. I can't describe exactly what it is that makes that scene so special, but the music combined with what's happening on the screen just takes me to another reality, it's really interesting - I guess that is just the power of ART )

I can watch this ep as often as once a month and it feels fresh every time.

Best episode (followed by Back in the World)

10+/10

Edited by Viceguy

AzVice

one of my favorite's of season 3. again fits in well with  the first two seasons. the style and the music are there with a pretty good story.

Edited by AzVice

ArtieRollins

This one has been one of those episodes that is not so action-filled but still offers an interesting take on home surveillance and in some scenes reminded me a lot of the crime-thriller F/X: Murder by Illusions (1986), specially the end scene, which sadly also takes away some of it's quality. The main villain comes off as a very brutal but controlling type, yet he and his goons have no problem bursting their heads right into the lions mouth in the end, as they should have known that since this was Duddy's playground, he would have the advantage. Instead they looked like silly amateurs and it did not fit well. Anwyay the music and night scenes, Crockett, Tubbs and Switek's little break in and entering, was very well done. I thought Duddy was a good character, a bit out there at times but not so much that it became irritating.

I give this episode a: 6,5/10 

Edited by ArtieRollins

Remington

For me this is the most fun episode of S3. Thats a good thing especially since S3 gets pretty damn gloomy soon.

The opening boat chase is great apart from the sped up footage.

I love the colors and cinematography. The neon green night scenes are cool as hell.

Duddy was hilarious. Especially his dancing.

My favorite scene is where Crockett, Tubbs, and Switek bug the house.

Dykstra was a good villain. Love his gfriend too.

I can watch this one all the time and never tire of it.

9/10

• Like 1

mirrorimageegamirorrim
1 hour ago, Remington said:

The opening boat chase is great apart from the sped up footage.

The sped-up photography is distracting, isn't it?  Another prime example is from the end of "Nobody Lives Forever" where (supposedly) Tubbs is being chased on the beach by the car.  I'm fairly certain the reason they did this was so it would be harder to tell that it was stunt doubles participating, and not the actual actors, in these "dangerous" scenes.  If you look carefully it's obvious though that this wasn't PMT running from the car and I'd wager it wasn't DJ and PMT in this boat scene, either.