Episode #18 "Made for Each Other"

Ferrariman

I think i read somewhere than Don johnson was ill/injured alot in Season 1 and Phillip Michael Thomas was injured filming the warehouse scene at the start of this episode. So that accounts for their absence.My theory is, they must have wrote this on fly when they realised they were missing their 2 lead actors and had a schedule to stick to.If that's the case, I can't be too harsh . I'll just pretend it doesn't exist instead of hating on it:cool:

This in my opinion' date=' is the worst episode of the first season! :sick:Don't get me wrong...I loved all the Vice members for the different aspects they brought to their characters, and I wish more episodes would have been made about Stan and Larry.But, this one sucked!! :evil: It was just too stupid, boring, and ridiculous. The plot was dumb, it was way too slap-stick, and that stupid (ugly) annoying girlfriend of Stan's (that was an ex of Zito's) was the worst part of the episode. Instead of trying to do a somewhat serious episode to truly show-case the characters of Stan Switek and Larry Zito...they go overboard to continue to show the goof-ball moron-like aspects. Then they include BOTH Izzy and Noogie in the same episode--quadrupling the stupid-annoying aspects. :evil:It just was terrible and I rated it a 2. :thumbsdown: The only reason I didn't vote it a 1 is because it wasn't "Missing Hours" or "Cows of October."[/quote']
Just watched this episode again...my thoughts' date=' opinions, and views have not changed since my original statement above! :sick: This is the kind of episode I have playing in the background while I'm doing something else...I don't really have to, or [i']want to, pay that much attention. :p It's just so unbelievabley stupid. :rolleyes: My opinion. ;)
I think i read somewhere than Don johnson was ill/injured alot in Season 1 and Phillip Michael Thomas was injured filming the warehouse scene at the start of this episode. So that accounts for their absence.My theory is' date=' they must have wrote this on fly when they realised they were missing their 2 lead actors and had a schedule to stick to.If that's the case, I can't be too harsh . I'll just pretend it doesn't exist instead of hating on it:cool:[/quote']Yup...nuff said! This episode was the worst of not only first season but one of the worst of the show!:sick: The whole thing left you going...what the he**?? :radar: :confused: Still a 2! :thumbsdown:

Yup...nuff said! This episode was the worst of not only first season but one of the worst of the show!:sick: The whole thing left you going...what the he**?? :radar: :confused: Still a 2! :thumbsdown:

Wow finally you hate something:)

Wow finally you hate something:)

:) There are very few, this is true...but there are a few select episodes that I truly do despise or can't stand. :evil: This is one of them, and then as always, going even lower, you have "Missing Hours" and "Cows of October". ;)Then you have "Amen...Send Money" and "Everybody's In Showbiz". Those two are pretty weak and ridiculous too. :sick:

• 1 year later...

Cory Barker of the website This Was Television reviews "Made For Each Other":

There’s a bit in “Made for Each Other†where Castillo walks by Zito, who is both dejected and elated to be looking at his new fish, and barely acknowledges him, and it’s just fantastic. Edward James Olmos is so restrained that you keep expecting the character to let loose, but he just refuses to let go.

:clap:

That was one of those Castillo moments that is powerful despite how subtle it is and how quickly it passes.

Read the full review:

http://thiswastv.com/2012/10/29/review-miami-vice-the-maze-and-made-for-each-other/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some great thoughts and reviews of this episode here, I am really enjoying reading them. This time around as I work my way trough the entire series again, I am trying to spend more time focusing on the episodes that were not my favorites back in the original airing days. This happened to be one back then. Last night I gave it another chance, and I actually enjoyed it very much. Yes, this episode is a bit over the top in humor, bordering on ridiculous at times, but when you know what to expect and take it for what it is, it really works in the vein of intention. Dealing with the somewhat slapstick script, the performances are not bad. I equate many things to music, specifically an album, (remember those?), and to me this plays out like those one or two songs that don't seem to fit the overall work of art at first, but in hindsight adding a needed off kilter flow and an element of humanity to better support the hard hitting perfection of the other magnificent works. Perhaps that is over simplification, but I'm rating this much higher than I would have even just a few years ago.

The Castillo stare and walk by Zito when one might have expected him to offer condolences, as mentioned above was one moment that stood out to me last night. The opening scene was grand.  There are many subtle moments in this crazy episode that really help to develop our characters. You have all mentioned the other gems in this one, and again excellent reading them.  In closing, this is by far not one of my favorites, but the silliness, unpredictability, all seem to work in this somehow. I'm going to close with comparing this in a slight way to some of Quentin Tarantino's works, that offbeat mood of unexpected lunacy while still retaining action and danger.  A solid 6/10. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Not so great episode, and sometimes it was border ridiculous. Like when Izzy and Noogie were taken off the case and Izzy promising a big score - they steal a cement truck.... Whaaaaat ?!

But the middleman's (forgot his name) expression was priceless when his boss (forgot his name too) told him to set the meet about the cement truck....

Anyone know the songs (instrumentals) that were playing in the background of Noogies bachelor pary and wedding? Those were good....

Funny, but not the best episode. I give it a 6.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On ‎26‎-‎02‎-‎2009 at 7:53 AM, Jake Pierson said:

Years ago, I did not like this episode. You see, there was a time when all I wanted and appreciated were the hard-hitting, action-packed ep's. I, too, used to get really irritated with Izzy and (especially) Noogman. Now, I wish there would have been more time spent with both of these character duos.Today, I look back and really savor this episode because it was written for the express purpose of humor. And, the writers really succeeded! For example, Noog's fighter pilot rendition on the stretcher is absolutely priceless. And the wedding....wow!!! As already stated, Izzy's banter is great if you listen closely. Neither one of these guys ever seem to fatigue!Larry and Stan, ultimately, added so much to this series....but, rarely were able to capitalize on their true worth. If I were to watch this episode and "Down for the Count" back-to-back, the tears would just stream as the loss of Larry really also meant the loss of Stanley. This series could very well have expanded (longer running) if these subordinate characters would have been brought forward more often. The same could be said for Gina and Trudster. I rated this episode as a 9. It added a more eclectic aspect of what Vice was...and always will be for me. I miss ya, Noogman. I hope you found what you needed.

I agree with these points. Izzy and Noogie got plenty of airtime, though. Even more than Switek and Zito. And some of the best lines, especially Izzy. :)Just how I felt about, it doesn't work with one or two characters running the show without the supporting characters adding something to it, as well.

On ‎27‎-‎02‎-‎2009 at 2:44 PM, Papa Legba said:
Papa Legba' date=' I would have to agree with you for sure, but I still say that it's a 7.5/10, not a 6.5. Oh well, I seem to be the only one agreeing with the 7.5[/quote']Hi MiamiCop. I understand your point of view. I thought people might wonder why I'm being a bit conservative with my scoring. The reason is that I know that there are much better episodes that will be coming along over the next few months that I know I'm going to be scoring 8's, 9's, and 10's for. I don't want to be scoring high now, then find I can't score any higher later. I'm just trying to put my scoring in context with the whole 5 seasons of Vice. So although "Made for each other", for me was a good episode at 6.5, it doesn't compare to some of the amazing episodes that will be along later that I'm going to be scoring 9's and 10's for.

I agree. If I should rate this episode a 9 (I won't) and at the same time rate an episode like "Out Where the Buses Don't Run" a 9, which has a way higher quality, then it would be like stating that those two episode are equally great, when they aren't.

On ‎04‎-‎11‎-‎2015 at 6:08 PM, JDe75 said:

Not so great episode, and sometimes it was border ridiculous. Like when Izzy and Noogie were taken off the case and Izzy promising a big score - they steal a cement truck.... Whaaaaat ?!

But the middleman's (forgot his name) expression was priceless when his boss (forgot his name too) told him to set the meet about the cement truck....

Anyone know the songs (instrumentals) that were playing in the background of Noogies bachelor pary and wedding? Those were good....

Funny, but not the best episode. I give it a 6.

The Jan Hammer instrumental dance music that was played at "Noogies wedding" was great!

My review: A comedy episode with Switek and Zito. Ironically enough the funny ones to me were Izzy and Noogie. Mostly Izzy though. Maybe there was too much comedy for its own good, but the lines of the actors were not bad. The writers and directors could have balanced it better, so it wasn't all humor. "Money that's what I want" yet another soundtrack fitting a scene well, (the opening scene) where the action with the counterfeit money is played out. There was even a neon dollar sign in the warehouse (Warsaw ballroom). And what's interesting is how the characters are all comical in their own way. Even the bad guy John C. Costelada is acting childish, like a kid wanting a toy. In this case a cement truck. I can't believe they wrote that crazy part in, but I liked it. All of a sudden Izzy and Noogie have to steal a cement truck. That part of the storyline just didn't seem credible to me, it felt more as if the writers had a lot of liberty to add that and played with that thought. But this is one of the things, that is so great about Miami Vice. These kind of surprises. And we get to see two cops personal lives.

I'm not so sure about the storyline itself, but I liked the episode because of it's many great moments/scenes. The stunt scene where Switek and Zito run and jump on Costeladas boat.  Izzy scene with the parrots. Funny line with Costelada, the way his says his line. Scene: His supplier Benny - Johnny you'll laugh when you hear where I got them. (Power tool) C.- Man I dont want to hear where you got them, I dont want to see them I don't wanna touch them. All I want to do is move them. Benny - Zoom zoom. :D 

Scene: Mr Rudman - What I was thinking, when they rescheduel the convention... Costelada - Let me tell you what I'm thinking. I think you got a house on 19 Parkwood Lane with a standard alarm system. I think your wife drives a black touring Eldorado. I think your son's in the third grade at Houston Central Elementary school. Now you know, what I'm thinking, think about it. My favourite line in that episode.  :)

Bonzo Barry Gold - Since you brought it, I'm going to do you a favour. Noogie yelling - Do me a favour? Who you think you talking to Jack? Barry - I got to know that your stuff's not defective. Izzy - Hey, we're no defectives. Noogie - We got half of Tokyo in there. And then the two of them leaving the scene. Barry to Costelada - They're really freaky-looking guys... In the strip club scene: Izzy - Come on, man! We got to continue to battle against the forces of evil. Meeting with Barry: Noogie - "Whoa" yourself Jack! Maybe you are not familar with Noogman's style. Stealing the cement truck: Izzy - All right man here we go. And all of the cement gets dumped out on the yellow car. Meeting with Costelada - Where the hell's Bill boy. I want to take a picture. Izzy to C. on his boat - You're talking to a man who's withstood the finest interrogation techniques: electrical, mechanical, psychological, philosophical, European, domestic, commercial. :D  But overall the plot is weak. Therefore I rate it a 6.

Edited by summer84
text line adjust
  • Like 1

Some really good points Summer . I noted this episode was directed by Rob Cohen who went on to direct "Evan" and "Definately Miami". 

This episode was a mixed bag almost like a comedy - but still fun in parts. The wedding scene was hilarious! 

:dance2:

• 1 month later...
On ‎20‎-‎04‎-‎2016 at 1:40 PM, Matt5 said:

Some really good points Summer . I noted this episode was directed by Rob Cohen who went on to direct "Evan" and "Definately Miami". 

This episode was a mixed bag almost like a comedy - but still fun in parts. The wedding scene was hilarious! 

:dance2:

It's not the best episode of season one, but it had some fun Izzy and Noogie moments.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, summer84 said:

It's not the best episode of season one, but it had some fun Izzy and Noogie moments.

I agree completely - quite camp in places but enjoyable nonetheless . :fireworks::):dance2:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

I agree completely - quite camp in places but enjoyable nonetheless . :fireworks::):dance2:

Yet, not an episode to be skipped. :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, summer84 said:

Yet, not an episode to be skipped. :)

For the lightheartedness no - I would sat watch and enjoy !!:D:D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Exactly Matt! :D

Elements of this episode remind me of "Phil the Shill" particularly with the comedy elements - pleased you liked Summer :D:D

What can I say... That hasn't been already. ;) :D        There were just so many funny parts in the episode I liked.

And I just wanted to have the last word. I'm kidding. :p :)

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

This episode i hated the first time i saw it.

Nowadays i actually enjoy it. I dont care how silly it is.

Switek's gfriend reminds me of one of my aunts.

The bit where Noogie and Izzy are held on the yacht is hilarious.

Can you imagine a show about Noogie and Izzy as partners. I sure as hell can.

Extra point for the Scarface poster.

7/10

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just watched this. Made me laugh. A well made trailer mostly of the episode "Made For Each Other" and a good introduction to Izzy and Noogies' parts on the show. Although they did show a more serious side of them, these humorous episodes describe their characters best. 

Edited by summer84
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Pure comedy this one - but showcases John Diehl very well as well as Michael Talbot.

Of course Izzy and Noogie are so ott it’s hilarious- they would only appear together again in 1987s “Missing Hours”.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2017 at 6:43 PM, APalFromHawaii said:

Great episode!  It's a little silly, a little funny, haha, that one moment when Izzy and Noogie steal a big truck! And the ending too :)

Whats even more funny is that a crime boss like Costelada wants one to begin with, and Barry's baffled look at his face when he is on the phone to him :)

Edited by RedDragon86

15 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

What even more funny is that a crime boss like Costelada wants one to begin with, and Barry's baffled look at his face when he is on the phone to him :D

Costelada was really quite odd.

Another thing I noticed from the bizarre ‘wedding ‘ scene at the end - the guy playing the drums as Annie walks down the aisle was the same guy from “Buddies” from the Celebrity burger van with Annie!

Edited by Matt5

19 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Costelada was really quite odd.

Another thing I noticed from the bizarre ‘wedding ‘ scene at the end - the guy playing the drums as Annie walks down the aisle was the same guy from “Buddies” from the Celebrity burger van with Annie!

Didn't she say that he was her agent? lol

I noticed "Ample Annie" while watching Die Hard 2 they other night latest?cb=20150523145106

• Like 2