Episode #18 "Made for Each Other"

Ferrariman

• 10 months later...

When I saw "Made for Each Other" on tv, it didn't impress me much, but now reviewing these DVD episodes forces me to really study an episode. I appreciate what I never noticed before. This is a great comic relief episode! Zito's lines come across a little stiff, although he is great in future eps. That's my main gripe. I dig the music- "Money" & all the Elvis songs. I'm glad Stan & Larry are featured in this & even happier Noogie & Izzy have a lot of air time. I love Noogie's bachelor party & of course, the wedding. Hilarious! The way he & Izzy deal with the crooked distributor is priceless. My favorite scenes include stealing the cement truck, Barry telling the boss they're cops & Noogie in cuffs saying" Yeah, you're under arrest", LOL, still cracks me up! Larry feeding his new goldfish & Sonny asking him to hang out with him. I like the friendship between Stan & Larry. And the best acting award goes to Pepe, the janitor, , Rick! I took notice of Noogie's strange fingernails ! All in all, I really like this one, but give it a 9 for the stiff acting.

I generally think Made For Eachother was a missed opportunity. Stan and Larry were always the comic relief so when they got their own episode I think it would've been better if it had been more serious and not just a knockabout comedy episode. Down For The Count was one of the highlight of the series and would've been great if there was more Switek & Zito eps like that and maybe it wouldn't have resulted in John Diehl leaving because he was such a greivous loss to the show. When Switek and Zito finally got a serious episode in Down For The Count it turned out to be one of the best episodes of the show. What a pity there couldn't have been more episodes like that. Zito did a superb job in Down For The Count and Switek was also excellent in Hard Knocks. They showed what they were capable of if they were given a serious script. Although I'm not too fond of this episode it does have some good points. I love the intro. Great use of locations with Jerry's Famous Deli and the Henrosa and it's a really entertaining sequence. The counterfeiting reminded me of To Live and Die In LA. A terrific intro but it goes downhill from there. And there's a Scarface poster in this episode too which is pretty cool. As it is, Made For Eachother has it's moments but overall it's weak. Unwelcome inclusion of Izzy and the Noogman grate on the nerves, as does it's silliness, crap story and slow pace. They could've done a lot better than this. 4/10

• Like 1

• Administrators

Sure – this wasn’t one of my favourites too. But there is something special about this episode: It has much humor – though sometimes very close to the edge of slapstick. I like the trailer very much: The story of a faked deal between Vice and some wacky forgers … well fitting music … and a mighty *BOOM* at the end. Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild The kitchen scene … best part of the whole episode in my book … unfortunately it’s missing in the German version. You can imagine how happy I was when I got my DVD set and watched the episode for the first time in my life UNcut. Without any doubt: Pick of the bunch are the dialogs between Larry, Stan, Izzy and Noogy … and – of course – the terrific cement mixer. Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild There were some other nice goodies in it: The dialog between Sonny and Larry, Pepe, Larry's gas bill (!), Harriet ... Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild... and the awesome performance of izzy and noogie. Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild All in all the story doesn’t represent my personal imagination of “Miami Viceâ€. but when I like to have a good laugh, I would watch “Made For Each Other†again. My rate is a 6.

Guest neworder

Switek and Zito get their first story and its a bad one.Yes light hearted, yes some funny scenes especially the Izzy+Parrot scene but most of it is too cheesy and annoying and boring and over the top........also this episode sets the concrete for comedy eps in Vice which yes does work see Phil The Shill but also goes catastropically bad in nearly all other instances, see cows of october, missing hours etc etc ...My rating for this poor ep, which does improve on the previous ep mind you is 4/10 This part of season 1 is poor but things do pick up from now on for a terrific end of season.P.S Night Talk is one of Jan Hammer's best, to be fair thats why this episode gets 4 there aren't really any other merits apart from this song.

The 'talking' seal with headphones on pulled this episode round for me. :D I give it a 7Look out for the poster of Scarface and The Thing in the video shop outside Bonzo Barry's too.

• Like 1

Look out for the poster of Scarface and The Thing in the video shopQUOTE]There's also a poster for the Bill Murray movie Where the Buffalo Roam (where he played Hunter S. Thompson). John Diehl co-starred in Stripes with Bill MurrayEingefügtes Bild

This episode is a fair attempt at comedy but as with most comedy episodes it feels jarring when you have it sandwiched between darker and more serious episodes. I've softened on the Elvis obsession over the years and I do still like having Izzy and the Noughman in the same episode.

Original Score: 4/10

Reflective Score: 6/10

Edited by agent 47
Update my thoughts.

I really liked this episode. It gives Switek and Zito a chance to shine. In the past some of the comments and stuff they do really made me wonder how did they become cops,but in this episode they're an ok team. :thumbsup:I'm glad Switek and Zito didn't let Darlene ruin their friendship,she was really annoying. I like the part where Izzy was like: I felt like I was in a remake of the defiant one. :D Zito says try not to sweat too much we put a $100 deposit on those clothes and Noogie and Izzy are making alot of commotion...:D:DIMO this episode is an 8

• Administrators

OK, just added the poll for this one. (sorry, working too much)I give it a 7.Not that strong of an ep. in my opinion.

this ep was designed to make you laugh. everytime i watch it, i laugh out loud at some part of it...EVERY time (usually when noogy and izzy are complaining about being chained up in the bug van).that's a 10 for me.

There does always seem to be SOMETHING new to spot. I love the "This is the part where Ward comes down hard on da Beaver".I also like the Dadrian Wilson cover of the music from this episode. It's DEAD ON!It's not to be taken seriously, but a break from the seriousness. IZZY is just hilarious if you really listen to the mumbo jumbo that he says. Most don't listen too closely and miss it. Michael and John said they started getting fan letters after this episode aired.I'm a fan of this episode!

Maybe my review was too harsh, because come to think of it, that scene in Swaitek's kitchen when Izzy sits down to breakfast is classic. (the man loves classic tv!)

Made for each otherNot one of my favorites. I gave this a 4/10 as well. The story line was silly and the comedy, forced. A bad guy obsessing over a cement truck???And I always found Noogie annoying so I just found a magazine to read during his scenes. Izzy had some f great lines, though. I did like Sonny talking heart to heart with Zito after the house fire...that was a nice touch. And I liked Castillo's speech about how Zito and Stan blew it by using Izzy and Noogie as real players in a sting operation. Imagine a real Lieutenant having to put up with these two! His scowl was classicMJ

"A bad guy obsessing over a cement truck???" - MJCMMV That's what makes it so humorous, MJ.....that some hardened criminals have a soft spot for things that bring up a childhood memory. I like when he asks Izzy if he can get him a fire engine. :D

I liked it, and didn't take it too seriously. Its fun to see the characters having fun, and letting thier guard down. I'm not going to try to convince anyone to like it if they don't. That a personal opinion. I'm just saying I reallly like it because it's out of the norm. We get to see a little more about SWITEK and ZITO, we see the zany actions by NOOGIE and IZZY.They would have to have a bad guy of that type to be able to bring him down. They certainly wouldn't have done it with CALDERONE. They'd all be dead. The bad guy had to be a bit comical to fit in with this type of episode, besides, there are tons of "serioius" episodes to love and choose from. I wouldn't have liked it if the whole series was like this show, but a break from the norm is just what the doctor ordered.A comical break.Remember, there is no right or wrong answers with this episode. If you like it, that's fine. If you don't, that's fine.

• Like 1

"A bad guy obsessing over a cement truck???" - MJCMMV That's what makes it so humorous' date=' MJ.....that some hardened criminals have a soft spot for things that bring up a childhood memory. I like when he asks Izzy if he can get him a fire engine. :D[/quote']I liked that segment of the episode, but actually I've heard of mobsters doing crazy stuff like this. (trying to remember which one complained about his mom not getting him a sled when he was a kid.)

Made for each otherI guess I needed to see it from that point of view, Tony. Too cynical, I guess. I remember Izzy's expression when he realized he was dealing with a crazy man after he asked him about the fire truck. You're right-that was funny!

"A bad guy obsessing over a cement truck???" - MJCMMV That's what makes it so humorous' date=' MJ.....that some hardened criminals have a soft spot for things that bring up a childhood memory. I like when he asks Izzy if he can get him a fire engine. :D[/quote']

Years ago, I did not like this episode. You see, there was a time when all I wanted and appreciated were the hard-hitting, action-packed ep's. I, too, used to get really irritated with Izzy and (especially) Noogman. Now, I wish there would have been more time spent with both of these character duos.Today, I look back and really savor this episode because it was written for the express purpose of humor. And, the writers really succeeded! For example, Noog's fighter pilot rendition on the stretcher is absolutely priceless. And the wedding....wow!!! As already stated, Izzy's banter is great if you listen closely. Neither one of these guys ever seem to fatigue!Larry and Stan, ultimately, added so much to this series....but, rarely were able to capitalize on their true worth. If I were to watch this episode and "Down for the Count" back-to-back, the tears would just stream as the loss of Larry really also meant the loss of Stanley. This series could very well have expanded (longer running) if these subordinate characters would have been brought forward more often. The same could be said for Gina and Trudster. I rated this episode as a 9. It added a more eclectic aspect of what Vice was...and always will be for me. I miss ya, Noogman. I hope you found what you needed.

This episode is not to be taken too seriously, and the writers were probably taking a break from all the drug-dealing and hardcore cop action. So ya, don't take this one too seriously.