Episode #18 "Made for Each Other"

Ferrariman

28 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

Yeah, his voice sounds different and he definitely looks different now! I’m not positive, just running off that miamivice.fandom page.

Here are two pics of him from in the 80s, one from live Oingo Boingo video and one from Miami Vice. They look very similar then.

8072D211-6EB5-411E-8BB3-FC85013897B1.jpeg

626EA988-28ED-46E9-B2B9-AE54F49D7234.jpeg

I’m voting same name, different guys. Look at the head shape of the drummer. Costalada’s head was kind of flat on top. The drummer’s head seems a little more pointy to me, but if I’m wrong, it certainly won’t be the first time! :) 

The drummer also seems less muscular (or thick in the arms/shoulders area) than Costalada. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I’m voting same name, different guys. Look at the head shape of the drummer. Costalada’s head was kind of flat on top. The drummer’s head seems a little more pointy to me, but if I’m wrong, it certainly won’t be the first time! :) 

No way that's him. This is Johnny "Vatos" Hernandez in 1980 with his band.

Untitled.png

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

The drummer also seems less muscular (or thick in the arms/shoulders area) than Costalada. 

Yeah, I agree. I was just noticing that Costelada’s face also looks a bit older, more wrinkled. There’s gotta be hundreds/thousands of Johnny Hernandez’s... And I believe Costelada was credited to just “John Hernandez”.

1 minute ago, RedDragon86 said:

No way that's him. This is Johnny "Vatos" Hernandez in 1980 with his band.

Untitled.png

Well, that puts the nail in the coffin! Lol. Definitely not him. Even IMDB is mistaken! https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0379608/

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I don't want to label this as a "throw-away" episode, but it was definitely one where the typical MV script was tossed out the window. Personally, I loved Switek and Zito's characters, and thought that Johh Diehl was probably the best actor on the show during the first season other than Olmos. Switek and Zito play off each other wonderfully and nothing ever seemed forced. Throw in a healthy dose of Izzy Moreno and you've got an episode that borders on a great sitcom. Unfortunately, Noogie is present a majority of the time which pushed my annoyance scale past where it would normally be. A good showcase for Talbott and Diehl, and a break for DJ and PMT, who honestly never looked so relaxed and laid back as in their brief scenes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GoombayPunch said:

I don't want to label this as a "throw-away" episode, but it was definitely one where the typical MV script was tossed out the window. Personally, I loved Switek and Zito's characters, and thought that Johh Diehl was probably the best actor on the show during the first season other than Olmos. Switek and Zito play off each other wonderfully and nothing ever seemed forced. Throw in a healthy dose of Izzy Moreno and you've got an episode that borders on a great sitcom. Unfortunately, Noogie is present a majority of the time which pushed my annoyance scale past where it would normally be. A good showcase for Talbott and Diehl, and a break for DJ and PMT, who honestly never looked so relaxed and laid back as in their brief scenes.

I found the episode pretty entertaining, but it's one of those which most likely divide viewers. I think a little of Noogie goes a long way (I feel Izzy is more sustainable), but in true Vice fashion they tried something different and expanded on the supporting characters, and one's mileage may vary on that. For me, as a one-off, I enjoy it, but of course I wouldn't want ALL Vice episodes to be like this, although I do like Switek & Zito.

I liked the colorful characters here beyond those the audience has already been introduced to: Darlene, "Bonzo" Barry Gold (the only straight man in this comedy:-), John Costelada (please, give the man a fire truck!), and, my favorite, Ample Annie ("I wanna see Mickey!". Sure thing: we're off to the mouse house). There's also Artie Cross in the beginning, and he's certainly eccentric enough, but a little too creepy for me, like he's related to Nosferatu or something:)(I think the character is effective though).

I actually like Noogie...he's quite representative of what was considered the street hustler at the time. Cops had to deal with CIs like that. And I like the episode because it IS different. I always love how people whine about how dark and depressing seasons 4 and 5 were and then turn around and hate on this one. Vice could do things like this because there was no firm hand on the rudder aside from visuals and audio. And I also think it introduced the serious/comedic air you see with some regularity in the NCIS franchise and the rebooted Hawaii 5-0. They don't do it quite as well (although NCIS LA comes close), but those elements didn't really exist in cop shows until Vice rolled this one out and made characters like Noogie (to a degree) and Izzy semi-regulars.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good portion of my original review...not much has changed. This is my opinion, but this is the worst episode of the first season! :sick: Total Season 1 dud! Don't get me wrong...I loved all the Vice members for the different aspects they brought to their characters, and I wish more episodes would have been made about Stan and Larry. But, this one sucked!! :evil:

It was just too stupid, boring, and ridiculous. The plot was dumb, it was way too slap-stick, and that stupid (ugly) annoying girlfriend of Stan's (that was an ex of Zito's) was the worst part of the episode! Instead of trying to do a somewhat serious episode to truly show-case the characters of Stan Switek and Larry Zito...they go overboard to continue to show the goof-ball moron-like, Beavis & Butt-Head aspects. ;( 

Then they include BOTH Izzy and Noogie in the same episode--quadrupling the stupid-annoying aspects. :eek: Stan & Larr’ deserved WAY better than this! It just was pathetic & terrible, and I rated it a 2. :thumbsdown: The only reason I didn't vote it a 1 is because it wasn't "Missing Hours" or "Cows of October."

However, there was one cool aspect about this episode...it was the only episode that featured the bikini girls in the opening theme, wearing “Miami Vice” crew jackets! This was only aired once in the original NBC airing...after that all reruns, syndicated reruns, DVD sets, and Blu-Ray sets have not included that scene—and just show the bikini girls as before (without the jackets). The story is NBC chose to not air that scene in the opening again, as after the initial airing they were flooded with requests from fans demanding MV jackets, too, lol! However, the jackets were only made for & given to crew members.

ACC36E4D-ECD1-47BE-8DE2-67F1EB6D1937.png

Edited by ViceFanMan

What's not to like about this episode? Well, I wasn't impressed when I first saw this in the 90s re-runs. But it grew on me.

You have a Switek-Zito centered episode for one. Plus the finest 'goofballs of Miami', Izzy and the Noogman! :D. That's dynamite!

Loved the camaraderie between Larry and Stan of course. And the precinct scene late at night with Crockett and Zito was very good. That's when the former offer to put him up for the night, since the latter no longer can stay at Switek's. It's nice to see one of the leads interacting with the wider group members, outside the normal police routine. And Sonny cared about everyone.

I find Stan's girlfriend Darlene so annoying! What a toxic person, glad he stood his ground and broke up with her.

This episode is all around funny and hilarious. Other highlights are Izzy and Noogie stealing a cement truck to bring to Castelaneda. He and Barry Gold were the goofiest MV villains ever. Nonetheless appropriate for this light episode.

Oh and the final scene of the wedding had me laughing very hard, just looking at Noogie :D...what a character. He and Izzy deserved their own spin-off show.

Can't compare this episode to S1 classics such as 'Evan' or 'Smuggler blues' but it showed the comedic side of MV in the best way.

Definitely a 7/10 from me!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

What's not to like about this episode? Well, I wasn't impressed when I first saw this in the 90s re-runs. But it grew on me.

You have a Switek-Zito centered episode for one. Plus the finest 'goofballs of Miami', Izzy and the Noogman! :D. That's dynamite!

Loved the camaraderie between Larry and Stan of course. And the precinct scene late at night with Crockett and Zito was very good. That's when the former offer to put him up for the night, since the latter no longer can stay at Switek's. It's nice to see one of the leads interacting with the wider group members, outside the normal police routine. And Sonny cared about everyone.

I find Stan's girlfriend Darlene so annoying! What a toxic person, glad he stood his ground and broke up with her.

This episode is all around funny and hilarious. Other highlights are Izzy and Noogie stealing a cement truck to bring to Castelaneda. He and Barry Gold were the goofiest MV villains ever. Nonetheless appropriate for this light episode.

Oh and the final scene of the wedding had me laughing very hard, just looking at Noogie :D...what a character. He and Izzy deserved their own spin-off show.

Can't compare this episode to S1 classics such as 'Evan' or 'Smuggler blues' but it showed the comedic side of MV in the best way.

I could agree more I love this episode because it genuinely funny.

There are so many funny scenes that I lose count.

Costelada talking about how he only got crappy wooden trucks when he was a kid

Noogie and Izzy raiding Stan's kitchen and popping the TV on and eating his breakfast, like what are you guys doing here:)

Stan being concerned about Larry in bed with Darlene saying "Its cold outside!" so funny the way he delivers that line.

Noogie giving up so easily at the end "I'll talk!" :)

I give it an 8 because its comedy gold.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb sdiegolo78:

Agree. It grew on me as well. Tension-wise it is a dud of course, but it was IMHO the best comedy episode and one I still can watch even if it´s boring from a tension perspective.

Not only because the mix of guest stars and characters (Izzy, Noogie, Stan&Larry) is great but also because it has also a morale or deeper sense in it. First that the goofy guys are not as goofy as the seem to be. Castillo said when he overruled Stan&Larry to cut Izzy&Noogie loose that they use informants for their street know how, not as deputies. But in the end, the two silly crooks, Izzy and Noogie, even manage to bust Costellada on their own and Larry and Stan only have to pick him up on the boat. 

Second, the theme of VICE ignoring their informants´ petty crimes as long as they deliver them someone bigger was played big time here (Crockett mentioned this explicitly in one episode). Izzy has never committed more uncharged felonies in one episode. Even when he arrives at the wedding with the rings at the end he admits he had to overcome an alarm system to get them. Let alone the truck and the B&E at the pet shop. LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There are some funny moments...but both Noogie & Izzy in the same episode was too much for me (I don’t mind Izzy as much, but I couldn’t stand Noogie)! :eek: The whole thing was just too goofball & stupid for a show like MV at the time...it was almost like an SNL spoof of an MV episode. But, to each his or her own! :D

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I think there's usually at least one screwball comedy episode per season, and this is season one's! It's good, nutty stuff.  We get to not only focus on the man-child antics of Stan and Larry, but we get an Izzy-Noogie team-up as well!  It gets completely circus time with that scene in Switek's tiny kitchen.  "This is the one where Ward gets hard on the Beaver." Tsk, tsk! 

John Diehl is especially good conveying Zito's resigned fate.  I crack up when he and Stan are both distracted by Elvis P. singing "Rubberneckin'" on the TV.  Bros before hos, I guess!  Ellen Greene (later on the great, but short-lived Pushing Daisies) is suitably horrific as the nag who comes between our boys.  

Like most everyone here says, this is a fun, light, change of pace ep.  We need ones like this as a contrast to the more intense shows like "Evan" or "Bushido."  By the way, does anyone know who played Bonzo Barry's shapely assistant?  

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, GoombayPunch said:

Not a political post, but it's amazing how life imitates art. This is the first thing I mentally referenced when seeing Costelada in the truck.

Made_for_each_other.jpg

HAAA!!!!!!  
It's a rough time here in NY, with the covid thing and all, and with the Christmas week, the drive-commute to the office was as bad as I ever remember it being, what with those who took vacation now off the roads, leaving those who COULDN'T take vacation mad as hell and tearing through the expressways looking for someone to pick a fight with,... I know this is going to be a rough commute home.
I could use a good drug to raise my spirits and prepare me,... and GoomBay Punch you just gave it to me.  THANKS.  This is the best laugh, at the sweetest time I needed it most.

My God, where did you find that Trumpy picture, and how did you catch the similarity so well?

I'm gonna be smiling all the way home tonight.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes there is no C&T but so what? I will forever love this episode, me and my brother have had a rough week with with l lot of problems and I set this episode up for him and I have never seen him laugh like this in years.

This episode is a gem.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Yes there is no C&T but so what? I will forever love his episode, me and my brother have had a brutal week with with l lot or problems and I set this episode up for him and I have never seen him laugh like this in years.

This episode is a gem.

Hope things go smoother for you & your brother...glad this episode helps bring some humor & meaning for you! :thumbsup: 

0FCE12D3-DF98-4EE5-886B-0513D664095A.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

quite interesting episode about friendship, love, and passion. where eventually friendship (and eventually passion) triumphs over love. interesting episode

1514441331_Capturedcran2022-11-17141800.thumb.jpg.75c682f0ff562054ec894dc5c0d9cc2c.jpg

these are dunhill menthol right

680675865_Capturedcran2022-11-17141308.thumb.jpg.11beaeb47753a75a56a0ab63e8f0eb4a.jpg

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

So out of nowhere tonight (while watching this episode) it dawned on me that Darlene’s voice is exactly like Audrey’s from Little Shop of Horrors. I looked it up, and lo and behold: IT’S HER! Maybe I knew once and forgot? :) :birdie:

I may be the only one here who didn’t know this (or that even cares), but I used to watch that movie on HBO when I was a kid. 

I love that movie, and I love this episode. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

On my third rewatch of the series and I just wanted to say what a great episode this is and what a great comedy duo Diehl and Talbott had! They had chemistry and seem like they must have been friends in real life. This episode is definitely offbeat but it does satisfy in a different way. Talbott was really underrated but my jaw hit the floor when I realized he was 29 years old in Season 1 :D