Episode #18 "Made for Each Other"

Ferrariman

23 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Didn't she say that he was her agent? lol

I noticed "Ample Annie" while watching Die Hard 2 they other night latest?cb=20150523145106

Shame the Noog man wasn’t on that flight!

• Like 1

Just watched this one again. I liked it, but it was pure silliness. I don't mind that though, it's bound to happen whenever the clowns of the show, Zito and Switek are on screen together.

It's a nice break from the seriousness and I really liked how the characters of Switek and Zito were more than just basically extras in it.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I really like this episode as well.

One of the things that makes Vice special is how the characters for the most part interact and bond with each other. I was always disappointed they never gave Trudy much space for that...I liked her more than Gina honestly. But Stan and Larry were classic. You could really see Stan fade once Larry left the show.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

If you think about it, this episode is short of Stan's version of "Nobody Lives Forever." He's with a woman who wants to change the way he lives, and his friend reminds him where his priorities really lie. Sure it's a bit goofy, but I'd rather deal with that than an interminable boat race and a bad guy who's more wooden than Bill Russell (yeah, I'm bagging on "The Great McCarthy" again). I always liked Izzy and Noogie simply because they showed another side of the CIs cops have to deal with to get the job done. And the bit about a mobster wanting a cement truck was priceless. Take a look at some of the things Pablo Escobar or El Chapo had and you'll see the same kind of childhood fantasies writ large.

And if we're talking about how goofy is bad...explain how it's not goofy to have a cop living on a boat with an alligator...:p

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

If you think about it, this episode is short of Stan's version of "Nobody Lives Forever."

Never thought of this, but you’re right! :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

I think this is probably Talbott and Diehl’s favorite episode too, as they were more than just comedy fodder and got a chance to show their acting skills.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

I think this is probably Talbott and Diehl’s favorite episode too, as they were more than just comedy fodder and got a chance to show their acting skills.

Exactly! If Vice had a weak spot it was focusing on Crockett, Tubbs, Castillo, and (to a lesser degree) Gina. Stan, Larry, and Trudy were all solid characters with good stories to tell. It would have opened up some more diverse plots for sure, especially since Vice focused so heavily on episodic writing as opposed to longer arcs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pmconroy said:

Im sure they love this episode as they were the main stars of this one for sure - both did a fine job. I like them both.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

It says on the wiki that PMT injured himself in the teaser segment and that's why he's also absent in The Home Invaders.

Do you think a Stan and Zito episode was originally they're intention from the start or could they have called an audible after he was injured and decided to give Stan & Zito/Noogie & Izzy an episode while he recuperated? . I imagine Tubbs was supposed to be the Castillo role in home invaders too.

• Like 1

Just now, Vincent Hanna said:

It says on the wiki that PMT injured himself in the teaser segment and that's why he's also absent in The Home Invaders.

Do you think a Stan and Zito episode was originally they're intention from the start or could they have called an audible after he was injured and decided to give Stan & Zito/Noogie & Izzy an episode while he recuperated? . I imagine Tubbs was supposed to be the Castillo role in home invaders too.

You might be right, but I think Castillo was the only possible character to play that role in Home Invaders.  Crockett wouldn't have reacted in the same way to Tubbs expressing doubts/criticisms of Crockett's old mentor.  And I don't think Tubbs could have pulled it off.  I do think he would have challenged Malone's investigative process and conclusions--but I don't think he would have been able to pull off the result that showed Malone it was time to retire, and allowed him to do it with dignity.  I made the following comments in another discussion about Home Invaders and how it would have been different if Tubbs had been in it:

Getting back to the question of how different the ep would have been if Tubbs had been in it:  I didn't miss Tubbs at all in the episode, which is a little sad, but it was great to see Crockett and Castillo working together.  I do like Tubbs and normally I think he and Crockett are a great team because they have different personalities and bring different strengths to an investigation.  Even when they are in conflict they are always trying to understand each other.  

Castillo, however, has his own code, and he will follow it regardless of what anyone else thinks.  He is predisposed to like and respect Malone because of Crockett's praise of his former mentor, but when he sees that Malone doesn't respect his input he doesn't try to change Malone's mind or convince Crockett he (Castillo) is right (as I think Tubbs might have done).  He does tell Crockett that Malone is missing important clues but he isn't going to get into a big debate over this guy Crockett admires.  He simply keeps doing his job to the best of his ability, according to his own path.  I think Crockett learned a lot from Castillo in this ep, and one of the things he learned was the path Castillo found to help Malone decide he needed to retire, while still honoring his career accomplishments.  I don't think Tubbs could have been the catalyst for that, or pulled it off with such respect.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

I don't think the writing staff was quite that flexible, honestly. Given the episodic nature of Vice, this episode was probably in the pipeline already. PMT being injured might have moved it up in the production schedule, but I doubt it was created because of the injury.

48 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

You might be right, but I think Castillo was the only possible character to play that role in Home Invaders.  Crockett wouldn't have reacted in the same way to Tubbs expressing doubts/criticisms of Crockett's old mentor.  And I don't think Tubbs could have pulled it off.  I do think he would have challenged Malone's investigative process and conclusions--but I don't think he would have been able to pull off the result that showed Malone it was time to retire, and allowed him to do it with dignity.  I made the following comments in another discussion about Home Invaders and how it would have been different if Tubbs had been in it:

Agree completely with this. Tubbs wasn't in any sort of position to make this kind of challenge; Castillo was. It also cemented Castillo's authority and credentials in a way that was needed for the series. Tubbs by this point didn't need that kind of reinforcement. That had happened during the pilot.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2019 at 2:54 PM, Robbie C. said:

If you think about it, this episode is short of Stan's version of "Nobody Lives Forever." He's with a woman who wants to change the way he lives, and his friend reminds him where his priorities really lie. Sure it's a bit goofy, but I'd rather deal with that than an interminable boat race and a bad guy who's more wooden than Bill Russell (yeah, I'm bagging on "The Great McCarthy" again). I always liked Izzy and Noogie simply because they showed another side of the CIs cops have to deal with to get the job done. And the bit about a mobster wanting a cement truck was priceless. Take a look at some of the things Pablo Escobar or El Chapo had and you'll see the same kind of childhood fantasies writ large.

And if we're talking about how goofy is bad...explain how it's not goofy to have a cop living on a boat with an alligator...:p

He wasn't perfect but the scene with Sonny in the park was very touching, his acting got better as the episode went on.

Edited by RedDragon86

I know. I actually liked Bill Russell's performance considering he was a basketball player first and foremost. It was more of a reaction to the flack "The Fix" tends to get because of him.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised I've never posted my opinion in this thread, I absolutely enjoy the episode! The comedy episode of the series, wish we saw more of Izzy and Noogie together later in the series. Great to see other members of the cast get the spotlight.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Looking forward to enjoying this episode and “Home Invaders” tonite.:cheers:.

”MFEA” other was the first of three episodes Rob Cohen directed for the show including “Evan” and “Definately Miami”.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

If I'll be honest, I sort of didn't enjoy this episode as much as others one. Just me though, Matt5 above mentioned looking forward to it and Home Invaders. Personally I prefer Home Invaders but, again just my personal preference. Although I appreciate them trying to provide more character background for Switek and Zito and all, but it just didn't click with me I guess.

Izzy and Noogie always save it for me though haha

/shrug

Edited by Assasinge

55 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

If I'll be honest, I sort of didn't enjoy this episode as much as others one. Just me though, Matt5 above mentioned looking forward to it and Home Invaders. Personally I prefer Home Invaders but, again just my personal preference. Although I appreciate them trying to provide more character background for Switek and Zito and all, but it just didn't click with me I guess.

Izzy and Noogie always save it for me though haha

/shrug

Yes I hear you- I also prefered “Home Invaders”.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Wow, I just found out that Johnny Hernandez who played John Costelada was Oingo Boingo’s drummer from 1978 to 1995! Great group!

Edited by AndrewRemington

37 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

Wow, I just found out that Johnny Hernandez who played John Costelada was Oingo Boingo’s drummer from 1978 to 1995! Great group!

And now, so did I! That’s crazy!

Are you sure it’s the same guy? His accent seemed genuine all his MV appearances, but listen to this guy: 

Edited by Dadrian

10 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

And now, so did I! That’s crazy!

Yeah, it is! I was just looking around on miamivice.fandom and learned that on Johnny Hernandez’s page. He also played Marco on “The Fix”, which I never realized!

https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/Johnny_Hernandez

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Are you sure it’s the same guy? His accent seemed genuine all his MV appearances, but listen to this guy: 

Yeah, his voice sounds different and he definitely looks different now! I’m not positive, just running off that miamivice.fandom page.

Here are two pics of him from in the 80s, one from live Oingo Boingo video and one from Miami Vice. They look very similar then.

8072D211-6EB5-411E-8BB3-FC85013897B1.jpeg

626EA988-28ED-46E9-B2B9-AE54F49D7234.jpeg