Episode #61 "The Afternoon Plane"

Ferrariman

I say 5I say 5 also.I missed Crockett in this one too.Since hes been in most of the episodes dealing with Calderone.It is nice that Philip had his own storyline for a change without anybody else.Its not my favorite either

• 4 months later...

I've read here that members have said the scenery was breathtaking, and beautiful.We must be watching two different episodes, as the scenery of the island is the ugliest, baren, scrub brush looking place I've seen for an island.Am I the only one that thinks the island scenery looks horrible?Re watch the episode, look at the island scenery, then answer the question. Don't do it by memory alone, really look at the scenery.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have mixed feeling about this one. I did enjoy it and I loved the atmosphere and tension on the island, despite the plot holes. I just feel it was a missed opportunity. Great direction, poor script. I did like the fact that it's almost solely tubbs tho. Once in a while it's nice when the other characters get the limelight

• 2 months later...

I give it a 4 because I can't bring myself to give any Vice episode a rating lower than 4.

lol im like that too-the worst miami vice episode to me is better than any other tv,however i did enjoy this.I think the first poster mentioned pmt proved he can carry eps himself-i felt that was the case here.Not his best acting performance but it held my attention-and while i obviously knew he was going to survive i was interested as to how it would conclude.Doesnt hurt either that his girlfriend was a stunner!

• 5 weeks later...

In my opinion The Afternoon Plane is obviously underrated. :glossy:Granted, it's not a typical VICE episode with flashy neon lights or extravagant clothes (except Wolf's and Xavier's clothes!) and does not offer a political or controversial plot such as Stone's War or Forgive Us Our Debts, but - as I often said - it's impossible to produce only such over-the-top-episodes. For me, the lack of glamour and the simple and linear plot makes this episode characteristically - similar to good old western movies.Rico and Alicia can't escape from the island and have to wait on their fate. This helplessness is is expressed by the lack of characters in The Afternoon Plane. There are only Rico and Alicia, two gangsters, a fisherman, a dead and a corrupt cop and Calderone.:cool:I really like the scenes where Rico and Alicia do donkey riding and We Touch by Loz Netto is played!:radio::happy: This song in excellent in combination with these wonderful landscapes and the love scene - typical VICE.Moreover The Afternoon Plane features several artful shots, for example a few scenes at the landing field.The final shootout is one more highlight. It's turned out well because it's long lasting and detailed, such as many shootouts in the 3rd season!Rico only has a hunting gun, so he has to save his ammo. Due to this fact, he has to be very inventive, for example the action with the car - I really like this, because it's more thrilling.All in all, The Afternoon Plane is indeed an atypical VICE episode, but nevertheless unique!9 of 10 points!

The Afternoon Plane is indeed an atypical VICE episode, but nevertheless unique!9 of 10 points!

Could you explain this more? Why you liked this scene. The reason I ask is for me, this was the worst scene of the episode. This is an example(imo) of what Vice stood against in the first two seasons and what made it great. Now in season three they fall back to using cheap, tired Hollywood bits that are just stupid when given thought (sorry to be harsh but this scene really bothers me, it was below Vice Levels). We have seen this old rock on the gas trick used so many times and why? It absolutely served no purpose here other than to show the stunt. It made Tubbs look stupid and unable to think ahead. He is waiting for Calderone to arrive and he waits on the ground in a partally exposed location that offers no defensive advantage. Then he has to use the truck to get over to the building where he can access the high ground of the second floor. Why the hell was he not already barricaded up there in the first place. He has a shotgun with limited range. He has to make his shots count. Why not wait and make his shots count from a concealled, elevated position. All the trick with the truck did was expose his location so he lost the element of surprise and exposed him to bulllets. The truck only stopped bullets that should never have been fired in the first place. Tubbs should have been up on the roof all along with rifles he took from the vacant police station. Can't believe Tubbs would let a flimsy wooden door keep him from the firearms that could save his life from criminals on the way to kill him and possibly others. That was another scene that made no sense.Just think that a scene should contribute to the story and not be a cheap side show for effect. Imo it served no purpose other than to exist itself and made the episode cheap. So maybe I am a bit harsh on it but I really think this scene was beneath Vice.
  • Like 2

Not one of my favorites:) , i find the story not good :thumbsdown:, sorry ! there is better episoden:), i give 3 points .

You've to distinguish the factor of closeness to reality and the factor of thrill. I said that I like the shootout because it's detailed and long-lasting, not due to closeness to reality. Moreover it's not a Rambo-like shootout.Concerning this point, there are many shootouts, car chases etc. in VICE where you can ask: why didn't they call for back-up, why did he jump through the window etc.So, I think you may not ask why he does do this or why he doesn't do this - this is a TV-show not a documentary!!!And I agree with you, this ep isn't the best one, but never mind!

• 2 months later...

I actually enjoyed this episode ! Granted it was a weak ending to the Calderone saga. I love the Deering Estate ( 15 min from my home ) and the now demolished Jimbos ! Always great to see my favorite local landmarks in MV.

• 8 months later...
Finally...the Calderone saga comes to an emotional end! I really like this episode! This was another Tubbs episode for sure, and as always PMT does a superb acting job! I also really like guest-star Maria McDonald in this one! If you recall, she originally was Tubbs' femme-fatale/killer girlfriend in first season's "The Great McCarthy". But, her character of Alicia Austin in this is sexy and intelligent. She was tough too...she fought Calderone right along with Tubbs--and even was the one who got wounded! Yeah, baby! :cool: I really wish her character could have stayed around for a while, for Tubbs...leave psycho, manipulative Valerie back in New York. :pI thought the plot was captivating and we finally get some closure to the whole Calderone storyline. Of course the one thing that I don't like is the new writers still never returned to Tubbs' baby son from Angelina...and Tubbs still thinks he's dead. :evil:I also liked the guest-cast in this one...with actors such as Vincent D'Onofrio, Margaret Avery, and of course John Leguizamo as Orlando Calderone is the perfect ultimate nemesis of Tubbs (the son of the original Esteban Orlando Calderone played by Miguel Pinero)! :clap:The music in this one was superb too. The song We Touch by Loz Netto is "haunting", sexy, and captivating! One of my favorite scenes in this episode is when Tubbs and Alicia are riding horseback and "enjoying" each other while this fantastic song plays in the background! :glossy: Of course I love the past Jan Hammer tunes reintegrated into this episode--from first season's "Calderone's Return" Pts. 1&2. :radio:The action and ending are perfect...this was just a very realistic, personal, and intense episode that finally tied up the loose ends from 1st and 2nd seasons! I also sort of enjoyed just Tubbs for once being primarily in this one...that he could handle himself without Crockett if he had to. This is one of my favorites of season 3 and I gave it a 9! :thumbsup:

• 10 months later...

I did not really care to much for this episode I thought it deserved more meat in it.I am glad that Philip got more air time.He's a great actor and deserves to be seen more as much as Don.I am glad they brought the Calderone story line back but I think they should have had Don in with Philip to finish this episode and put a bowtie on it for good.

You're right alleycat. They also should clarify what happened to Tubbs' son. Then it would be very good and strong episode.

• Like 1

You're right alleycat. They also should clarify what happened to Tubbs' son. Then it would be very good and strong episode.

Definately deserved a resolution 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My question is why was there a casket for the baby in "Sons and Lovers"?The baby was taken away from the car before it exploded so what would they have buried?I thought this episode could of done a lot more to end the Calderone saga,it wasn't climatic enough for me IMHO.

• Like 2

My question is why was there a casket for the baby in "Sons and Lovers"?The baby was taken away from the car before it exploded so what would they have buried?I thought this episode could of done a lot more to end the Calderone saga,it wasn't climatic enough for me IMHO.

Very true . :D

I always thought the baby might have been blown up in the shack. :fireworks:

I didn't think of that.I don't believe I saw Calderone take the baby with him when he bailed the shack and his henchman.That's a thinker :birdie:

Edited by BlueAir
  • Like 1

I didn't think of that.I don't believe I saw Calderone take the baby with him when he bailed the shack and his henchman.That's a thinker :birdie:

Yes the baby escaped - but it was never followed up on at all 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This episode is interesting mainly because it is part of the Calderone story arc and because it features Tubbs as the main protagonist. I really liked the suspense that was building up nicely, the evasive behavior of the locals who demonstrated fear or loyalty to Calderone, and the sense of mortal danger looming over this sunny piece of paradise. What I didn't like has to do mostly with how shallowly the main characters (including the main villain) were portrayed. The whole sense of impending doom was also disproportionate when compared to the quality of the firefight at the end of this episode. However, the overall acting, style and music did really make a positive impression. Thus I rate the episode 7/10.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed. All build up with virtually no payoff. The storyline goes out with a whimper instead of a bang (the episode at least goes out with many bangs lol) . Why is Tubbs with this previous lover? More importantly, where does she go after this episode? She's never heard from again. I would've LOVED to hear her tell Tubbs how she feels about the fact that he fathered a child with another woman. And speaking of which...what the heck happened to Tubbs jr.?

I know many won't agree with this comparison, but I swear, just like the end of "Empire Strikes Back" with Darth Vader revealing he's Luke's father and thus they dug themselves into a hole that they just couldn't quite dig out of for "Return of the Jedi", the last episode of Season 2 left us with a cliffhanger that they simply couldn't resolve. The changing tones and styles of the following 3 seasons got this sub-plot to the overall story arc (I'd say about 15-20 episodes of the overall show has a completely story in there) pushed under everything else.

Seeing Leguizamo show up in season 5 as another character really throws it off as well.

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with most of everyone, this one is not in the top episodes of season three. I wanted to like this one more than I always have, but another viewing and my opinion just hasn't changed. I do think this one had potential, but the overall effectiveness is greatly hindered by less than stellar acting, comical villains and unrealistic scenes. Tubbs using the truck seemed incredibly pointless. Also pointless is me giving this one a lengthy review. Not a horrible episode, I just wish the concept had been better executed. 6.5 - 7/ 10